The Holy Spirit, a separate person, essence of God, or force?

Viewing 20 posts - 561 through 580 (of 6,305 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi A7,
    Here is a forum on the Spirit.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi A7,
    I do not think it makes any difference whether is is read “Holy Spirit” or “The Holy Spirit”

It is indeed the Spirit of God who is spirit.

As such the Spirit is of God and Jesus called the Spirit “the finger of God”[Lk 11.20]

The Spirit is never separate from God any more than a finger is separate from a person.

Just as a finger has seemingly individual abilities so does the Spirit, but it is always under the control of God.

Because the Spirit is of God it must be respected as God and not blasphemed or lied to.

That Spirit serves God in Christ and in us just as a finger serves a person.

God, in Christ as Spirit, showed all the nature and powers of God as the fullness of deity was in him[coll 2.19]

Thomas was right to say to Christ, the vessel of God, then, “My Lord and My God”

Eph 2.19f
    “So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the corner stone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you are also being built together into a dwelling place of God in the Spirit”

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    God is spirit,
    God poured and pours out His Spirit to accomplish His will.
    He could have poured out His Spirit on the disciples of Jesus while the Son of Man was still alive but chose not to. He chose to wait until Jesus had returned to heaven to pour out that Spirit, the Spirit of Christ on these men that they would be one in him and in the Father.

malcolm ferris
    Participant

When John was told what to look for, he was told it would be the one
    “on who the spirit descends and remains”
    True God could have poured out His spirit on the disciples at any time, but would it have remained?

NickHassan
    Participant

Yes Malcolm,
    And the spiritual unity was a vital issue.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Did Jesus heal by his own power?
    Some would teach that he was God the Son and was God on earth healing.
    but as Acts 10.38 tells us
    “…God was with him”
    Lk 5.17
    “:and the power of the Lord was present for him to perform healing”

In some areas of Israel their faith was so poor he did not heal.

malcolm ferris
    Participant

Well if the spirit of God was dwelling in him from Jordan and remained upon him during his ministry then he would be correct in saying he could do nothing but what the Father told and showed him, he never claimed to heal anyone.
    He said he operated by the power (authority) of God. Just as prophets of old had done. When they did they were called gods.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,In Acts 23 Paul had noted the Council was made up of two divisions of doctrine so he said in v6
    “Brethren, I am a Pharisee, a son of Pharisees; I am on trial for the hope and resurrection of the dead”
    Acts 23.8
    “For the Sadducees say there is no resurrection, nor an angel nor a spirit; but the Pharisees acknowledge them all.
    And there arose a great uproar;and some of the scribes of the Pharisaic party stood up and began to argue heatedly, saying
    'We find nothing wrong with this man; suppose a spirit or an angel has spoken to him”
    Paul, by the Spirit found a way out of his difficulties having abused the high priest by turning men with their doctrines against each other and taking the heat off himself.

The only Spirit that speaks goodness to men is the Holy Spirit so I guess the Pharisees saw that the prophets were anointed by that Spirit. They believed men could be made to stand, or arise, again as the greek root for resurrection means. They believed there was more than could be seen by the eyes of men in life.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    The Spirit of God has amazing qualities and as it did in Christ, it reveals the nature and powers of our God in the here and now, and forever.  It is the aspect of God that is close to all, as Paul told the Atheneians.

It is what unites us

with the branches and
    with the vine and
    with the Gardener as one with God for eternity.

Artizan007
    Participant

Hi Nick,

From the Son of God topic, thought it was best to have it placed here as this is the topic of discussion here.

You quoted:

Hi A7,
    More than that.
    It is of God and as God.

Jesus said those who saw him saw God.
    Scripture says God was in Christ.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ok, but now you are being vague… 😉

If the Holy Spirit is “of” God as Jesus is “of” God like you say, then the HS must be as Christ is – ie: one sent from God and not just a “more than a that” power.

How can you lie to a “something” that is not a person, how can you be taught by a “something” that is not a person.

If it is not a person, but more than a power ie: the finger of God (whatever that is supposed to be), then how can a non person be represented as God – and used to teach us, comfort us, instruct us and reveal truth to us.

Jesus said that he would send a Counsellor. Now if that Counsellor is not a person as per say, but more than a power… then what exactly is it/he and how do you say we are taught truth by this “finger of God”.

From what I read of your replies to my questions the HS seems almost a person/spirit, but not quite… more than a power, but not God himself. We have a mystery figure or power… not too sure which.

The way I see it is there the giver, the HOLY Spirit (God and not two separate persons but another name for God ie: God is Holy and He is Spirit) and what he pours out on us it the gift of holy spirit that Jesus promised he would send (the power for service). Whatever that gift is that comes upon us is always likened to a something and never to a p
    a person… like a dove, like fire, like water, like oil… that is apart from John's gospel where the HS is likened to a “he”.

I am still trying to understand all this and there are a few passages where the HS and God are used in the same place yet denote separate persons… I will have to find them and post them in the HS topic…

Artizan007
    Participant

Acts 23:8 is a interesting scripture Nick…

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Artizan007 @ May 22 2006,09:14)
    Acts 23:8 is a interesting scripture Nick…

Hi A7,
    Jesu told both the Sadducees and the Pharisees at various times they were deceived.
    Funny how the ordinary folk got the right idea but those devoted more to their religious traditions and their own team had no place for God's plan.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi A7,
    Lk 11.20
    ” But if I cast out demons by the FINGER OF GOD, then the kingdom of God has come upon you”
    Compare the parallel verse in Matt 12.28
    ” But if I cast out demons by the SPIRIT OF GOD, then the kingdom of God has come upon you”

So what is the relationship between a finger and the rest of the body?
    Such is the relationship between God and His Spirit.

Artizan007
    Participant

So in your view, is there a difference between the “Spirit of God” and the “Holy Spirit”?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi A7,
    No. None at all,
    Take a trip through Romans 8 and see how many ways there are to say Holy Spirit differently, and that does not cover all the variations.

Artizan007
    Participant

Will do,

One thing, I have noticed in Romans how often the word spirit is used but is capitalised when I feel it should be a lower case s… different translations have different capitalisation as well. Romans 8 is a classic example of this…

Will get back to you when i have done some reading.

Gosh this is a lifetime of work ahead eh… it is a joy but so often when you think you have it all tied up you find another scripture that opens another avenue.

NickHassan
    Participant

Amen A7,
    But as we fit each bit of the jigsaw together the whole picture becomes clearer.

NickHassan
    Participant

and another A7

NickHassan
    Participant

and another A7

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi A7,
    Look at 1Jn 4.12f
    “if we love one another, God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us.
    By this we know that we abide in Him and he in us, because He has given us of His Spirit”

What do you make of it?
    Who abides in us? How? How do we know? So we must know the work of God as Spirit in us?

Viewing 20 posts - 561 through 580 (of 6,305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account