The Holy Spirit, a separate person, essence of God, or force?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,101 through 1,120 (of 6,305 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi David:

I addressed the following questions to you under the topic of the Holy Spirit, but perhaps they would be more appropiately asked under this topic.  My questions were:

What does Hebrews 1:3 mean when it states that:  Jesus is “THE EXPRESS IMAGE OF GOD'S PERSON”?

And what does God mean when he says to the nation of Israel, “For I am the Lord that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: YE SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY”?  (Lev. 11:45)

Thanks and God Bless

Participant

Quote (david @ Jan. 11 2007,03:00)
    94, I'm very sorry.  Can you re-ask the question.

Hi David:

I asked the questions under the topic asking if the Holy Spirit a person.

Thanks

david
    Participant

If you stood deliberately on my toe then you could be arrested for assaulting ME.

Right. I got that. That's what I've been saying. But your toe isn't named Nick, any more than God's holy spirit is named God.

david
    Participant

God names Himself as “I am who am”.
    That is not a personal name but a description of the LIVING GOD.
    Men have added vowels for various reasons but that also does not make a personal name either.
    He is.

If you look in that account, Nick, you'll also find an actual personal name. Please check that account again.

What does any of this have to do with the question I asked you, on what you said..
    You said that “God” is the holy spirit's name. This is….not true.
    Not scriptural. Not logical. Not grammatically correct. It's wrong.

david
    Participant

Hi W,
    Who are you trying to convince in your unscriptural mission to draw men to worship the Son rather than God? Would it not be better to obey the Son and tell men to worship God before you have to meet him and explain your actions?

David

Jn 4:24
    God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

II Cor 3:17
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
    :D

I didn't say those words you quoted, WJ, but even if I had, what are you trying to say?

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (david @ Jan. 12 2007,02:46)

If you stood deliberately on my toe then you could be arrested for assaulting ME.

Right.  I got that.  That's what I've been saying.  But your toe isn't named Nick, any more than God's holy spirit is named God.

Hi david,
    As my finger it is of me.
    It has no name but shares my name as we are the same being.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (david @ Jan. 12 2007,02:49)

God names Himself as “I am who am”.
    That is not a personal name but a description of the LIVING GOD.
    Men have added vowels for various reasons but that also does not make a personal name either.
    He is.

If you look in that account, Nick, you'll also find an actual personal name.  Please check that account again.

What does any of this have to do with the question I asked you, on what you said..
    You said that “God” is the holy spirit's name.  This is….not true.
    Not scriptural.  Not logical.  Not grammatically correct.  It's wrong.

Hi david,
    The Holy Spirit is of God.
    The finger of God has no name of It's own but shares the name of God as It is the same being.

Hi david,
    The Holy Spirit is of God.
    The finger of God has no name of It's own but shares the name of God as It is the same being.

NH

If the Spirit is the same being and shares the same name then the Spirit is a Person! :)

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    The Spirit or finger of God is of the person of the Father God.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi W,
    The Spirit PROCEEDS from God.
    God POURS out His own Spirit.
    They are the ONE BEING
    Christ HAS PROCEEDED from and been sent by God.
    He is a separate being who had life in himself.
    He is united AS ONE with God in the ONE Spirit of God that we can share too.
    Then we will be ONE in heart and mind and Spirit.

Hi W,
    They are the ONE BEING

NH

As my friend Isa 1:18 Goes….

He He He :)

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi W,
    The Word of God will not always amuse you.

Morning Star
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Jan. 12 2007,04:20)
    Hi W,
    They are the ONE BEING

Excellent description Nick. I wish they would serisously search for themselves to see if this view is true. This is the very same view the early church fathers held.

charity
    Participant

Quote (Morning Star @ Jan. 12 2007,05:18)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Jan. 12 2007,04:20)
    Hi W,
    They are the ONE BEING

Excellent description Nick.  I wish they would serisously search for themselves to see if this view is true.  This is the very same view the early church fathers held.

The father spoken of here is David who's soul looked to christ that he shall not remain in the grave because he was the promised; by God, and from the bows of mercy was produced a seed that shall preform the spirit of prophecy

I feel we should consider who the covernent of life was given too?

Jhn 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

Jhn 5:26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;
    This concerns resurrection of life!!
    Its not saying God has life in him perhaps???

the mystery of God, “and” of the Father, “and” of Christ;

Col 2:2 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;

charity
    Participant

Please don't just blow me off guy's

receiving the holy ghost is the sure election
    Gods consent signed  and sealed delivered

Remenber the graves opened and many came forth into the cities and preached, can you even find evidence for one of these saint walking the earth again; or not thought to even look?

1Cr 16:15  I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and [that] they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints,)
    1Cr 16:16  That ye submit yourselves unto such, and to every one that helpeth with [us], and laboureth.
    1Cr 16:17  I am glad of the coming of Stephanas and Fortunatus and Achaicus: for that which was lacking on your part they have supplied.

Paul shuts them up in prison even sentenced them to death again

Act 26:10 Which thing I also did in Jerusalem: and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against [them].

He expalns his hope and faith in the resurrection of life and is refused with the saying, to much learning has made you crazy Paul

Act 26:6  And now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God unto our fathers:
    Act 26:7  Unto which [promise] our twelve tribes, instantly serving [God] day and night, hope to come. For which hope's sake, king Agrippa, I am accused of the Jews.

charity
    Participant

Act 26:8 Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead?

They haerd is voice from the graves

david
    Participant

Hi david,
    As my finger it is of me.
    It has no name but shares my name as we are the same being.

It's of you nick, but you would never say your finger is named “Nick.”
    Yet you insist God's finger is named God. It is the Spirit “of” God, not God himself. Is God's wisdom called “God?” No. It's called God's wisdom. Is God's strenght callled “God?” No. It's called God's strength.
    Is God's holy spirit called God? No. It's called God's holy spirit.
    I can show you this from scripture at a hundred times.

david
    Participant

They [holy spirit and God] are the ONE BEING

Nick, which scriputres would you use to back this up?

And which scriptures do you think argue against the holy spirit being a being, or being one being with God?

david
    Participant

Nick, do you still think “God” is the “name” of the holy spirit?

david
    Participant

I'm not sure how these things really relate to the question of whether the holy spirit is a person or not, but here goes:

“For I am the Lord that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: YE SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY”? (Lev. 11:45)
    Jehovah God is holy and demands that those who render him sacred service be holy. They must pursue holiness and remain physically and spiritually clean.

2 CORINTHIANS 7:1
    “Therefore, since we have these promises, beloved ones, let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in God’s fear.”

1 PETER 1:15-16
    “but, in accord with the Holy One who called YOU, do YOU also become holy yourselves in all [YOUR] conduct, because it is written: “YOU must be holy, because I am holy.””

And:

What does Hebrews 1:3 mean when it states that: Jesus is “THE EXPRESS IMAGE OF GOD'S PERSON”?

It's interesting that some have said that I say the holy spirit isn't a person and they say the Bible doesn't say God is a person either. Some Bible's do say God is a person, such as this Bible. Anyway, I take it you're asking me what I think of Jesus being the express “image of God's person,” or the exact “representation of his very being,” or the “image imprinted by his substance.”

First, let's add some similar scriptures:
    2 CORINTHIANS 4:4
    “among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.”

COLOSSIANS 1:15
    “He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;”

Here's an interesting scripture:
    “Let us make man in OUR image,”

When on earth as a perfect man, he reflected his Father’s qualities and personality to the fullest extent possible within human limitations, so he could say that “he that has seen me has seen the Father also.” (Joh 14:9; 5:17, 19, 30, 36; 8:28, 38, 42)

This likeness, however, was certainly heightened at the time of Jesus’ resurrection to spirit life and his being granted “all authority . . . in heaven and on the earth” by his Father, Jehovah God. (1Pe 3:18; Mt 28:18) Since God then exalted Jesus to “a superior position,” God’s Son now reflected his Father’s glory to an even greater degree than he had before leaving the heavens to come to earth. (Php 2:9; Heb 2:9)

He is now “the exact representation of [God’s] very being.”—Heb 1:2-4.

It's also interesting to note:
    All anointed members of the Christian congregation are foreordained by God to be “patterned after the image of his Son.” (Ro 8:29)
    Having borne the earthly “image of the one made of dust [Adam],” as spirit creatures they thereafter bear “the image of the heavenly one [the last Adam, Christ Jesus].” (1Co 15:45, 49) During their earthly life, they are privileged to “reflect like mirrors the glory of Jehovah” that shines to them from God’s Son, being progressively transformed into the image conveyed by that glory-reflecting Son. (2Co 3:18; 4:6) God thereby creates in them a new personality, one that is a reflection, or image, of his own divine qualities.—Eph 4:24; Col 3:10.

Anyway, back to the holy spirit. I didn't even know this thread existed. I have some reading to do.

david

Viewing 20 posts - 1,101 through 1,120 (of 6,305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account