1 Timothy 6:13-16

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi David,
    The scripture we are addressing
    says just that.

So does God possess immortality as well?
    That is two.

Not3in1
    Participant

David,

I have a question for you – is this passage in 1 Tim. the only passage used to show that Christ is invisible and came to rule already? Or are there other verses to support that teaching? Thanks.

david
    Participant

So does God possess immortality as well?
    That is two.

Yes Nick. That is two. So what we have here, based on your observation of “two” indicates that not everyone is being addressed here.
    It is comparing Jesus to the human rulers, and of that group, only Jesus possesses immortality.
    Since as I've explained previously, Jesus is immortal and so is God, you can not do as you do and include everyone in this scripture.
    The context itself hints that Jesus is being compared to others who are also rulers. Yet, the difference is Jesus is immortal.

You have admitted that Jesus has been given immortality (yet you assert he doesn't possess somethng he was given) and that God is also immortal so your understanding of this is contradictory.

“Nick, there are many who have posted quite a bit, thousands of posts. Yet, you are king of posters, post master. And you alone are named Nick.”

Does this mean you're the only person in the universe named Nick? Or based on the context, am I referring to a specific group here, perhaps the group of people who post on this forum? And that, of that group, you are the only one named nick.

david
    Participant

I have a question for you – is this passage in 1 Tim. the only passage used to show that Christ is invisible and came to rule already? Or are there other verses to support that teaching? Thanks.

Yes.

I am more busy now than I have ever been. I am taking a break. I will come back to this on my next break.

davi

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi David,
    You say of 1Tim 6
    “It is comparing Jesus to the human rulers, and of that group, only Jesus possesses immortality.”

1Tim6

“11But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

12Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

13I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession;

14That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:

15Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;

16Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen. “

Are you not putting the verse within a context that is simply not there?
    Why not leave it as is and let it be read
    as written?

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (david @ July 29 2007,13:50)

I have a question for you – is this passage in 1 Tim. the only passage used to show that Christ is invisible and came to rule already?  Or are there other verses to support that teaching?  Thanks.

Yes.

I am more busy now than I have ever been.  I am taking a break.  I will come back to this on my next break.

davi

Thanks, David, I'll look forward to your response.

It is unwise of anyone or group to form a doctrinal belief on one scripture…… Especially a scripture that has many interpretations. But I am open to what you will share. See you next time.

david
    Participant

Are you not putting the verse within a context that is simply not there?
    Why not leave it as is and let it be read
    as written?

No, I am not. Let's look at the words:

only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords; Who only hath immortality

He is the “only” potentate, above other kings, above other lords, he alone having immortality.

Is this not what it says?

So how am I taking anything out of context?

david
    Participant

Thanks, David, I'll look forward to your response.

It is unwise of anyone or group to form a doctrinal belief on one scripture…… Especially a scripture that has many interpretations. But I am open to what you will share. See you next time.

While I do have time to respond to Nick, I just don't have the time right now to do even 5 minutes of research, or to organize any thoughts on this matter.

is this passage in 1 Tim. the only passage used to show that Christ is invisible and came to rule already?

The answer is definitely “no.”

This is a scripture rarely used by JW's as far as I can tell. There are scriptures in Daniel, Matthew, etc that we do actually use to show these things.

Perhaps it would be in the “presence” thread or Jesus “coming” thread or the “last days” thread if there are such threads. I do remember talking about such things, but I have no idea where.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi David,
    Is God not a greater KING?

2 Chronicles 20:6
    And said, O LORD God of our fathers, art not thou God in heaven? and rulest not thou over all the kingdoms of the heathen? and in thine hand is there not power and might, so that none is able to withstand thee?
    Psalm 74:12
    For God is my King of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth.
    Psalm 84:3
    Yea, the sparrow hath found an house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, even thine altars, O LORD of hosts, my King, and my God.
    Psalm 95:3
    For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods.
    Psalm 145:1
    I will extol thee, my God, O king; and I will bless thy name for ever and ever.
    Isaiah 44:6
    Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.
    Jeremiah 10:10
    But the LORD is the true God, he is the living God, and an everlasting king: at his wrath the earth shall tremble, and the nations shall not be able to abide his indignation.

King of kings is applied to Jesus in Rev 17 and 19 but it also is a term applied in the bible to men

Ezra 7:12
    Artaxerxes, king of kings, unto Ezra the priest, a scribe of the law of the God of heaven, perfect peace, and at such a time.

The kingdom of heaven is ultimately under our God. Christ was given the kingdom but his rule is given back to God when all is put to rights.[1Cor15] Christ too submits to the lordship of his God.

Adam Pastor
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ July 29 2007,01:40)
    David,

I have a question for you – is this passage in 1 Tim. the only passage used to show that Christ is invisible and came to rule already?  Or are there other verses to support that teaching?  Thanks.

David, Not3in1 + others

1 Tim 6:15-16 in ref. to immortality, is talking about the ONE GOD, the Father … not Jesus!

KJV …
    (1 Tim 6:14-16)  That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: 15 Which in his times [Jesus' times] he [Jesus] shall show , … the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords; 16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

ASV …
    (1 Tim 6:14-16)  that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: 15 which in its own times he shall show, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords 16 who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom [be] honor and power eternal. Amen.

Now compare:

(John 16:25)  These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall show you plainly of the Father.

1 Tim 6.14  is in ref. to our Lord Jesus Christ.
    verses 15-16 is a doxology to the One GOD i.e. to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

Paul has a habit of ending some of his chapters with a doxology to GOD Almighty; sometimes immediately after talking about GOD's Son, Jesus. (cp. Rom. 9.5)

david
    Participant

Hi David,
    Is God not a greater KING?

Yes Nick, this has been my whole point. We cannot include God in the group that we are looking at. Otherwise, he and Jesus would both fit (both of them at least being immortal.)

So, therefore, logically, we are speaking of a specific group (that doesn't include everyone) as I mentioned previously.

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Adam Pastor @ July 29 2007,20:43)

Quote (Not3in1 @ July 29 2007,01:40)
    David,

David, Not3in1 + others

1 Tim 6:15-16 in ref. to immortality, is talking about the ONE GOD, the Father … not Jesus!

KJV …
    (1 Tim 6:14-16)  That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: 15 Which in his times [Jesus' times] he [Jesus] shall show , … the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords; 16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

ASV …
    (1 Tim 6:14-16)  that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: 15 which in its own times he shall show, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords 16 who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom [be] honor and power eternal. Amen.

Now compare:

(John 16:25)  These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall show you plainly of the Father.

1 Tim 6.14  is in ref. to our Lord Jesus Christ.
    verses 15-16 is a doxology to the One GOD i.e. to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

Paul has a habit of ending some of his chapters with a doxology to GOD Almighty; sometimes immediately after talking about GOD's Son, Jesus. (cp. Rom. 9.5)

Thanks, Adam.

I also wanted to say that I've been poking around your website and have enjoyed it very much.

Also, thanks David for getting back to me. I understand what it means to be busy. Take care.

Mr. Steve
    Participant

Ladies and Gentlemen and the Press;

I propose to you this day a marvellous truth. When Jesus Christ was made our high priest he was given eternality by divine decree. But again, he was made our high priest with certain definite characteristics. What are they? Without beginning of days, without end of life, without father, and without mother. Christ has a Father, how could Paul say without Father. In reference to Christ Priesthood he is eternal because he represents us before God who is eternal. All sin from the beginning of the world is expunged by the sacrifice of our high priest. The forgiveness not only applies to us who came after Christ but to all who have followed God before Christ. Therefore, his priesthood extends from the beginning to the end, and evermore. It is an eternal priesthood.

kejonn
    Participant

Adam and others,

I tend to shy away from dynamic translations but it seems that the NLT agrees with Adam.

1Ti 6:13 And I command you before God, who gives life to all, and before Christ Jesus, who gave a good testimony before Pontius Pilate,
    1Ti 6:14 that you obey his commands with all purity. Then no one can find fault with you from now until our Lord Jesus Christ returns.
    1Ti 6:15 For at the right time Christ will be revealed from heaven by the blessed and only almighty God, the King of kings and Lord of lords.
    1Ti 6:16 He alone can never die, and he lives in light so brilliant that no human can approach him. No one has ever seen him, nor ever will. To him be honor and power forever. Amen.

But then again, so does the NIV

1Ti 6:13 In the sight of God, who gives life to everything, and of Christ Jesus, who while testifying before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge you
    1Ti 6:14 to keep this command without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ,
    1Ti 6:15 which God will bring about in his own time–God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords,
    1Ti 6:16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

In view of this, one can see that only God alone is truly immortal. That is from all eternity, God is the only immortal one. In fact, Yeshua is not immortal in the same sense as God, else he could not be called “firstborn from the dead”.

In fact, the NLT makes one important claim: “He alone can never die”. What does this say? That indeed, Yeshua cannot be God because he did die.

Oxy
    Participant

I can well understand people throwing out the trinity doctrine because, as it is taught in Catholocism, it is false. While it is true that God is three, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, the are not co-equal.

The Father has ultimate authority, which has been given to Jesus Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, All authority is given to Me in Heaven and in earth.

Jesus, by His own confession, is subject to the Father, as is the Holy Spirit.

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Oxy @ Aug. 10 2007,19:55)
    I can well understand people throwing out the trinity doctrine because, as it is taught in Catholocism, it is false. While it is true that God is three, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, the are not co-equal.

The Father has ultimate authority, which has been given to Jesus Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, All authority is given to Me in Heaven and in earth.

Oxy,

Hmmm. Your “Trinity” just failed the co-equal test. So you believe in something called Subordinationism. From Wikipedia

Subordinationism is a doctrine which holds that Jesus is subordinate to God rather than being fully God. This is also termed Arianism after the deacon of Alexandria, Arius. Most streams of Christianity consider this to be incompatible with orthodox trinitarian belief.

Participant

Quote (kejonn @ Aug. 05 2007,21:06)
    Adam and others,

I tend to shy away from dynamic translations but it seems that the NLT agrees with Adam.

1Ti 6:13   And I command you before God, who gives life to all, and before Christ Jesus, who gave a good testimony before Pontius Pilate,
    1Ti 6:14   that you obey his commands with all purity. Then no one can find fault with you from now until our Lord Jesus Christ returns.
    1Ti 6:15   For at the right time Christ will be revealed from heaven by the blessed and only almighty God, the King of kings and Lord of lords.
    1Ti 6:16   He alone can never die, and he lives in light so brilliant that no human can approach him. No one has ever seen him, nor ever will. To him be honor and power forever. Amen.

But then again, so does the NIV

1Ti 6:13   In the sight of God, who gives life to everything, and of Christ Jesus, who while testifying before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge you
    1Ti 6:14   to keep this command without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ,
    1Ti 6:15   which God will bring about in his own time–God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords,
    1Ti 6:16   who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

In view of this, one can see that only God alone is truly immortal. That is from all eternity, God is the only immortal one. In fact, Yeshua is not immortal in the same sense as God, else he could not be called “firstborn from the dead”.

In fact, the NLT makes one important claim: “He alone can never die”. What does this say? That indeed, Yeshua cannot be God because he did die.

Hi KJ:

This is very good and very true. Although Jesus is now immortal, he did die.

Thanks for bringing us these scriptures revealing this very important truth.

God Bless

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (kejonn @ Aug. 10 2007,20:10)

Quote (Oxy @ Aug. 10 2007,19:55)

Oxy,

Hmmm. Your “Trinity” just failed the co-equal test. So you believe in something called Subordinationism. From Wikipedia

Subordinationism is a doctrine which holds that Jesus is subordinate to God rather than being fully God. This is also termed Arianism after the deacon of Alexandria, Arius. Most streams of Christianity consider this to be incompatible with orthodox trinitarian belief.

Which, BTW, is not scripturally as unsound as the “co-equal” theory. Just wanted to add that. :;):

Oxy
    Participant

Thanks for that kejonn. So many here want to brand me as a trinitarian because of the beliefs I hold, but I am far from their concept of a trinitarian. I'm not sure if I like the fact that you've found a box to put me in lol, I don't care what it's called. I just love my God with all my heart and relish the life I have with Him.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Oxy @ Aug. 11 2007,12:55)
    While it is true that God is three, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, the are not co-equal.

What is wrong with your statement Oxy? Let us see what is written:

Mark 12:29
    “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.

Mark 12:32
    “Well said, teacher,” the man replied. “You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him.

Galatians 3:20
    A mediator, however, does not represent just one party; but God is one.

Scripture doesn't say that the Lord out God is three, like you and other Trinitarians do Oxy.

Trinitarians are a cult. Tritheism in any form does not equate with God being one. The Trinity doctrine is not true. It is against scripture and what Jesus taught.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 141 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account