1 Timothy 6:13-16

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    charity
    Participant

I can see some foot prints.

Only Begotten Son…HM…Could that give a taste of one Only??
    One so perfect with out Sin, Still must be begotten??
    How much Harder to assume ourselves seated in heavenly Places?

(only AND begotten AND Son)
    occurs in 5 verses in the KJV
    Page 1 / 1 (Jhn 1:18 – 1Jo 4:9)
    Jhn 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared [him].
    Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    Jhn 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
    Hbr 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten [son],
    1Jo 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

Mat 22:32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

2Cr 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi charity,
    He is the only Monogenes[only begotten] son too.

david
    Participant

Hi david,
    Philosophical points do not add much.
    The verse seems to relate to God obviously to me.
    The point is not whether or not it could relate to Jesus as well.
    No because it would add a point of confusion to the simple obvious meaning.

Nick, it's you who are philosphising and messing with words. Yes, the verse does seem rather simple to you. I realize that. No one disputes that. But the other scriptures indicate that if you are looking at that verse as Jehovah alone being immortal compared to everyone else, then I suppose that would include Jesus, yet, we know Jesus is now immortal.

I ask this again, because you keep avoiding all the contradictions you have created by your belief. It bothers me that you shut your eyes to them:

How can one be “given” or “granted” something, but not “have” it?

This is, after all what you have clearly stated you believe.

david
    Participant

Hi david,
    From the NWT
    “16 the one alone having immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom not one of men has seen or can see. To him be honor and might everlasting. Amen. “

So you think the one that men have never seen or can see is Jesus?
    Or is this official JW policy?

Nick, why is it I'm able to answer your questions, but you don't even attempt to answer mine?

I don't know about any “official JW policy” but here is the answer to your question, from them:

● First Timothy 6:15, 16 mentions “the one alone having immortality.” Why is this applied to Jesus rather than to Jehovah?

These verses read: “This manifestation the happy and only Potentate will show in its own appointed times, he the King of those who rule as kings and the Lord of those who rule as lords, the one alone having immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom not one of men has seen or can see. To him be honor and might everlasting. Amen.”—1 Tim. 6:15, 16.

Many persons have thought that these words describe Jehovah. That is understandable, for most of those things could be said of God, he the “King of eternity,” “incorruptible,” a “happy God” and the “Lord of lords.” (1 Tim. 1:11, 17; Deut. 10:17) Also, no man ever saw or can see him. (Ex. 33:20) However, when Paul wrote 1 Timothy 6:15, 16, he could not say that Jehovah alone possessed immortality, for Jesus was given immortality at his resurrection.—1 Cor. 15:50-54; Heb. 7:16; Rom. 6:9.

The description in 1 Timothy 6:15, 16 does, though, fit Jesus, who is “the reflection of [Jehovah’s] glory and the exact representation of his very being.” (Heb. 1:3; Col. 1:15) Since Jesus’ resurrection and ascension to heaven, he “dwells in unapproachable light.” No man has actually seen the glorified Jesus. When he revealed himself to the persecutor Saul, the overpowering light blinded Saul. (Acts 9:3-8; 22:6-11; John 14:19) And as a grand Potentate Jesus will receive everlasting honor, for his Father crowned him “with glory and honor.”—Heb. 2:9; Phil. 2:9-11.

But how is it that Jesus ‘alone has immortality’? Let us note the setting. Paul was not discussing God’s kingship or immortality but was contrasting Jesus to others of mankind. Jesus is “King of those [men] who rule as kings.” (Rev. 17:12, 14; 19:16) Christ is also preeminent in lordship, being “Lord of those [humans] who rule as lords.” (Compare 1 Corinthians 8:5, 6.) So when Paul wrote that Jesus is “the one alone having immortality” he meant that of all kings or lords from humankind, the glorified Christ is alone immortal.

The Greek word translated “immortality” (athanasia) is formed from the negative a and from thanatos, meaning “death.” Immortality thus has the basic sense of ‘without death,’ or deathlessness. Understandably, Jehovah is the absolute source of all life and is immortal. (Psalm 36:9; 90:1, 2) This is confirmed by the fact that his glorified Son, who now “is the reflection of [God’s] glory and the exact representation of his very being,” is described as “the King of those [men] who rule as kings and Lord of those who rule as lords, the one alone having immortality.” (Hebrews 1:3; 1 Timothy 6:15, 16) No creature can take Jesus’ life as an immortal, which makes him different from humans or spirits that can die. Further, we read: “Now that [Christ] has been raised up from the dead, [he] dies no more; death is master over him no more.”—Romans 6:9.

So, can humans on earth see the glorified Lord Jesus Christ? The Bible’s answer is, No. Of the glorified, immortal Lord Jesus Christ, 1 Timothy 6:16 says that he is one who “dwells in unapproachable light, whom not one of men has seen or can see.”

This being the case, will Jesus ever again take on a corruptible body of flesh in order to be seen by humans who are too frail to endure the sight of his glorified spirit body? That is not God’s purpose respecting his Son. As the inspired apostle Paul said on one occasion: “[God] resurrected him from the dead destined no more to return to corruption.”—Acts 13:34.

Questions From Readers

What basis is there for saying that such phrases as “the one alone having immortality” and the one “whom not one of men has seen or can see” refer to Jesus rather than to Jehovah God?

The apostle Paul wrote: “This manifestation the happy and only Potentate will show in its own appointed times, he the King of those who rule as kings and Lord of those who rule as lords, the one alone having immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom not one of men has seen or can see.”—1 Timothy 6:15, 16.

Bible commentators generally reason: ‘How could such phrases as “the one alone having immortality,” the “only Potentate,” and the one “whom not one of men has seen or can see” point to anyone other than the Almighty?’ Admittedly, such terms could be used to describe Jehovah. However, the context indicates that at 1 Timothy 6:15, 16, Paul was specifically referring to Jesus.

At the end of verse 14, Paul mentions “the manifestation of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (1 Timothy 6:14) Hence, when Paul writes in verse 15 that “this manifestation the happy and only Potentate will show in its own appointed times,” he is referring to a manifestation of Jesus, not of Jehovah God. Who, then, is the “only Potentate”? It seems reasonable to conclude that Jesus is the Potentate referred to by Paul. Why? The context makes it evident that Paul is comparing Jesus with human rulers. Jesus truly is, as Paul wrote, “King of those [humans] who rule as kings and Lord of those [humans] who rule as lords.” Yes, compared to them, Jesus is the “only Potentate.” Jesus has been given “rulership and dignity and kingdom, that the peoples, national groups and languages should all serve even him.” (Daniel 7:14) No human potentate can make that claim!

What about the phrase “the one alone having immortality”? Again, a comparison is being drawn between Jesus and human kings. No earthly rulers can claim to have been granted immortality, but Jesus can. Paul wrote: “We know that Christ, now that he has been raised up from the dead, dies no more; death is master over him no more.” (Romans 6:9) Thus, Jesus is the first one to be described in the Bible as receiving the gift of immortality. Indeed, at the time of Paul’s writing, Jesus was the only one who had attained indestructible life.

It should also be kept in mind that it would have been wrong for Paul to say that Jehovah God alone had immortality, since Jesus too was immortal when Paul wrote those words. But Paul could say that Jesus alone was immortal in comparison with earthly rulers.

Further, it is certainly true that after Jesus’ resurrection and ascension to heaven, he can be described as one “whom not one of men has seen or can see.” Granted, his anointed disciples would behold Jesus after their own death and subsequent resurrection to heaven as spirit creatures. (John 17:24) But no man on earth would see Jesus in his glorified state. Hence, it can truthfully be stated that since Jesus’ resurrection and ascension, “not one of men” has actually seen Jesus.

True, at first glance, it may seem as if the descriptions found at 1 Timothy 6:15, 16 could apply to God. But the context of Paul’s words—along with the corroboration of other scriptures—shows that Paul was referring to Jesus.

[Footnote]

Similar expressions are applied to Jesus at 1 Corinthians 8:5, 6; Revelation 17:12, 14; 19:16.

How can Jesus be “the one alone having immortality”?

The first o
    ne described in the Bible as rewarded with the gift of immortality is Jesus Christ. That he did not possess immortality before his resurrection by God is seen from the inspired apostle’s words at Romans 6:9: “Christ, now that he has been raised up from the dead, dies no more; death is master over him no more.” (Compare Re 1:17, 18.) For this reason, when describing him as “the King of those who rule as kings and Lord of those who rule as lords,” 1 Timothy 6:15, 16 shows that Jesus is distinct from all such other kings and lords in that he is “the one alone having immortality.” The other kings and lords, because of being mortal, die, even as did also the high priests of Israel. The glorified Jesus, God’s appointed High Priest after the order of Melchizedek, however, has “an indestructible life.”—Heb 7:15-17, 23-25.

The word “indestructible” here translates the Greek term a·ka·ta′ly·tos, meaning, literally, “indissoluble.” (Heb 7:16, ftn) The word is a compound of the negative prefix a joined to other words relating to a “loosening down,” as in Jesus’ statement regarding the loosening down or throwing down of the stones of the temple at Jerusalem (Mt 24:1, 2), as well as in Paul’s reference to the loosening down of the earthly “tent” of Christians, that is, the dissolving of their earthly life in human bodies. (2Co 5:1) Thus, the immortal life granted Jesus upon his resurrection is not merely endless but is beyond deterioration or dissolution and is beyond destruction.

Light and the Son of God. Since his resurrection and ascension to heaven, Christ Jesus, “the King of those who rule as kings and Lord of those who rule as lords,” “dwells in unapproachable light.” That light is so glorious that it makes it impossible for weak human eyes to behold him. (1Ti 6:15, 16) In fact, one man, Saul (Paul) of Tarsus was blinded by the light from heaven seen by him at the time the glorified Son of God revealed himself to this persecutor of Jesus’ followers.—Ac 9:3-8; 22:6-11.

During his earthly ministry Jesus Christ was a light, furnishing spiritual enlightenment concerning God’s purposes and will for those who would gain divine favor. (Joh 9:5; compare Isa 42:6, 7; 61:1, 2; Lu 4:18-21.) Initially, only “the lost sheep of the house of Israel” received benefit from that “great light.” (Isa 9:1, 2; Mt 4:13-16; 15:24) But spiritual enlightenment was not to be limited just to the natural Jews and proselytes. (Joh 1:4-9; compare Ac 13:46, 47.) When the infant Jesus was presented at the temple, aged Simeon referred to him as “a light for removing the veil from the nations.” (Lu 2:32) As Paul explained to the Ephesians, uncircumcised non-Jews had been in the dark respecting God and his purposes: “Formerly you were people of the nations as to flesh; ‘uncircumcision’ you were called by that which is called ‘circumcision’ made in the flesh with hands—that you were at that particular time without Christ, alienated from the state of Israel and strangers to the covenants of the promise, and you had no hope and were without God in the world.” (Eph 2:11, 12) However, when the good news about the Christ was brought to the non-Jews, those who responded favorably were ‘called out of darkness into God’s wonderful light.’ (1Pe 2:9) But others continued to allow the one who transforms himself into “an angel of light” or enlightenment (2Co 11:14), “the god of this system of things,” to blind them so ‘that the illumination of the good news about the Christ might not shine through.’ (2Co 4:4) They preferred darkness, for they wanted to continue in their selfish course.—Compare Joh 3:19, 20.

Consider, for example, the apostle Paul’s words at 1 Timothy 6:15, 16 where he describes Jesus Christ as “the King of those who rule as kings and Lord of those who rule as lords, the one alone having immortality.” So how is Jesus distinct from all other “kings” and “lords”? He is immortal; they are not.

True, immortality is promised to those of Christ’s followers who are called to reign with him in the heavens. (1 Peter 1:3, 4) Thus, at 1 Corinthians 15:53, 54, we read: “This which is mortal must put on immortality. But when . . . this which is mortal puts on immortality, then the saying will take place that is written: ‘Death is swallowed up forever.’” But notice that immortality is “put on.” It is a reward for faithful, chosen Christians. It is not something that all humans inherit.

So, as was stated above and as I've stated SEVERAL TIMES NOW NICK,
    “Since Jesus’ resurrection and ascension to heaven, he “dwells in unapproachable light.” No man has actually seen the glorified Jesus. When he revealed himself to the persecutor Saul, the overpowering light blinded Saul. (Acts 9:3-8; 22:6-11; John 14:19)”

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    Almost word for word from the watchtower..
    “Many persons have thought that these words describe Jehovah. That is understandable, for most of those things could be said of God, he the “King of eternity,” “incorruptible,” a “happy God” and the “Lord of lords.” (1 Tim. 1:11, 17; Deut. 10:17) Also, no man ever saw or can see him. (Ex. 33:20) However, when Paul wrote 1 Timothy 6:15, 16, he could not say that Jehovah alone possessed immortality, for Jesus was given immortality at his resurrection.—1 Cor. 15:50-54; Heb. 7:16; Rom. 6:9.

The description in 1 Timothy 6:15, 16 does, though, fit Jesus, who is “the reflection of [Jehovah’s] glory and the exact representation of his very being.” (Heb. 1:3; Col. 1:15) Since Jesus’ resurrection and ascension to heaven, he “dwells in unapproachable light.” No man has actually seen the glorified Jesus. When he revealed himself to the persecutor Saul, the overpowering light blinded Saul. (Acts 9:3-8; 22:6-11; John 14:19) And as a grand Potentate Jesus will receive everlasting honor, for his Father crowned him “with glory and honor.”—Heb. 2:9; Phil. 2:9-11.

But how is it that Jesus ‘alone has immortality’? Let us note the setting. Paul was not discussing God’s kingship or immortality but was contrasting Jesus to others of mankind. Jesus is “King of those [men] who rule as kings.” (Rev. 17:12, 14; 19:16) Christ is also preeminent in lordship, being “Lord of those [humans] who rule as lords.” (Compare 1 Corinthians 8:5, 6.) So when Paul wrote that Jesus is “the one alone having immortality” he meant that of all kings or lords from humankind, the glorified Christ is alone immortal.”
    But what is your view?

david
    Participant

But what is your view?

My view Nick, is that you have avoided all the questions I have asked.

The REASON for this, is that you cannot answer them, reasonably.

So, I'll stick with those that actually have some answers, and aren't constantly contradicting themselves or the normal meaning of very common words.

That is my view.

My view is also that as, I've said several times, it is completely understandable why you would see this as a simple verse and on first glance take it to be referring to Jehovah. Most people do. But, looking at it for more than a couple seconds, raises some questions….

questions which you simply cannot or are not willing to answer.

Very telling.

That is my view.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    I would like to speak with you and not the watchtower but you constantly hide behind their derived and bizarre teachings. Are you allowed to speak for yourself or are there rules that apply to servants of the watchtower?

david
    Participant

LISTEN, IF YOU CAN'T ANSWER ANY, NOT ONE OF MY QUESTIONS, JUST ACCEPT THAT.

What you are doing now is dishonest.

My view Nick, is that you have avoided all the questions I have asked.

The REASON for this, is that you cannot answer them, reasonably.

So, I'll stick with those that actually have some answers, and aren't constantly contradicting themselves or the normal meaning of very common words.

That is my view.

My view is also that as, I've said several times, it is completely understandable why you would see this as a simple verse and on first glance take it to be referring to Jehovah. Most people do. But, looking at it for more than a couple seconds, raises some questions….

questions which you simply cannot or are not willing to answer.

Very telling.

That is my view.

david
    Participant

The sad truth, Nick, is that you have painted yourself into a weird corner where someone can be given immortality, but not be immortal.

I do understand your desparation and your attempts to sidetrack this conversation or to use such tactics. But please put these things behind you and act honorably.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    But what is your opinion?

david
    Participant

But what is your opinion?

My opinion has always been that people who avoid answering questions or state things that directly and without question contradict themselves…..

should worry more about answering some questions than continually asking them.

That is my opinion.

How can one be “given” or “granted” something, but not “have” it?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    Have you gone from the frying pan into the fire? I mean when we were catholics we all knew some of the dogmas were rather silly and others just incomprehensible. We would just obey the rules and keep our heads down but never tried to evangelise others using them as our gospel as they were just too odd. We never brayed them in all their folly as if they were from God Himself as you do seem to do with every jot and tittle of the JW dogmas. We had still a certain freedom to use commonsense but you never seem to question anything from the watchtower. Why? Are you so careful to maintain unity that truth itself no longer has any importance?

david
    Participant

We had still a certain freedom to use commonsense but you never seem to question anything from the watchtower. Why?

Nick, I question everything all the time. This scripture, in particular.

If you cannot answer my extraordinarily simple questions, and explain your contradictory thinking, why oh why should I not question YOU?

It just so happens that what JW's believe on this verse doesn't contradict anything else.
    It's true, nowhere does it actually say: This is Jesus “compared to other rulers who are human.”
    But nor does it say that this one alone has “immortality” as something he has always possesses as part of his very nature. All it says is the one alone having immortality.
    And for you to believe that this is speaking of Jehovah alone out of everyone, then that is an obvious contradiction to Jesus being immortal.
    So I QUESTION YOU.

And you know what? ? ?

You never answered me.

So, you know what?

I questioned YOU again.

And you know what happened that time.

MORE SILENCE.

If I question someone and they provide an answe that fits all the other scriptures and that doesn't contradict the other scriptures, I tend to believe them. So, yes, I questioned everything and everyone, you included.

But, you have no answers. Only silence.

You speak of common sense. Well, common sense tells me that people who can's answer questions are either hiding something or trying to ignore their faulty thinking.

So, I will continue to question YOUR understanding of this verse, at the very least, until you can answer any of my questions.

david
    Participant

Hi Bibliophile. You may want to read this thread, or at least the last couple pages.

david

david
    Participant

If you don't read this verse carefully, it is easy to at first think that it is speaking of Jehovah. Yet, that really cannot be the case.

Bibliophile
    Participant

Hi David,

Yes, I have just stummbled onto this thread. I mentioned to Is 1:18 that after going home and researching this verse (because translations were contradicting themselves) I am moved to agree with him and you that this verse is speaking of Jesus, not Jehovah. I will be honest, I have never run across this before so much investigation from scripture is a must. Hopefully I will be able to add a little something later on.

One should not be so haughty as not to be humble and correct one's mistakes.

Thanks.:p

Sincerely

kejonn
    Participant

As far as the phrase “He alone possesses immortality”, I don't think it means that he is the only one who has immortal life. By this, it means that he is the one through whom we gain our own immortality — he is the possessor, the one who has the keys to death and the grave. Therefore, he possesses immorality.  Else, what do we do with the following verses?

Rom 2:7   to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life;  
    ——————————————————————
    1Cr 15:53   For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality.  

1Cr 15:54   But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, “DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory.  
    ——————————————————————
    2Ti 1:10   but now has been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel,  

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (kejonn @ July 28 2007,09:48)
    As far as the phrase “He alone possesses immortality”, I don't think it means that he is the only one who has immortal life. By this, it means that he is the one through whom we gain our own immortality — he is the possessor, the one who has the keys to death and the grave. Therefore, he possesses immorality.  Else, what do we do with the following verses?

Rom 2:7   to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life;  
    ——————————————————————
    1Cr 15:53   For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality.  

1Cr 15:54   But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, “DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory.  
    ——————————————————————
    2Ti 1:10   but now has been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel,  

Line shoud read “Therefore, he possesses immortality”. Missing one letter can be a big deal in this case :O.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    1Tim 6
    “14That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:

15Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;

16Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen. “

If, as David claims,
    Christ is the only one who possesses immortality then he is saying
    God does not
    ??

david
    Participant

If, as David claims,
    Christ is the only one who possesses immortality then he is saying
    God does not

Nick, you know this is not what I am saying. You tend to misrepresent me.

You have said that God alone possesses immortality in that it is somehow part of his nature and even though jesus was given immortality, he doesn't posess it.
    Yet, I've asked you 19 times how someone can be given something and not possess it, and you failed to answer.

I HAVE NEVER CLAIMED THAT CHRIST ALONE POSSESSES IMMORTALITY. As Kejonn's scriptures show, this isn't true.

I believe this verse is comparing him to other earlthly kings and rulers and compared to them, he alone has immortality.
    Obviously, both Jesus and Jehovah have immortality. But if we don't look at everyone and only compare Jesus to the human kings and rulers, he alone possesses immortality. They will all fade away.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 141 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account