The New Zealand Earthquake.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (seekingtruth @ July 21 2013,17:02)
    I heard recently that there were an avg of 42 major earthquakes in every decade since 1900. But there were Over 400 in 2011 alone.

Yeah that sounds about right. New Zealand gets about 20 significant quakes each year which probably amounts to 42 major quakes each decade. Back in 2010-2011, Christchurch had a whopping 14,000 quakes many of them quite big.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Parliament Building is damaged.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23394409

Call it a coincidence, but Parliament enacted the Gay Marriage Bill not long ago, and now the Tower of Babel is damaged. Some people will say, “told you so”. What do you think. A coincidence? I am curious to hear what you think.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Actually, would appreciate your prayers that God will keep my family safe. Quakes happening every minute. No exaggeration. Refresh this page after one minute and check for yourself.
    http://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/all
    Doesn't take a genius to work out that there is a good chance of a big one among a swarm of hundreds.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ July 21 2013,18:21)
    Actually, would appreciate your prayers that God will keep my family safe. Quakes happening every minute. No exaggeration. Refresh this page after one minute and check for yourself.
    http://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/all
    Doesn't take a genius to work out that there is a good chance of a big one among a swarm of hundreds.

t8

you have my prayers for you all ,and I am confident that God can save those of his that needed ,and he will ,God bless you ,within these wicked times ,

Lightenup
    Participant

I will pray for your safety, t8, as well as your family's. Do you know if this is close to Is 1:18 or Nick?

2besee
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ July 21 2013,22:22)
    Parliament Building is damaged.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23394409

Call it a coincidence, but Parliament enacted the Gay Marriage Bill not long ago, and now the Tower of Babel is damaged. Some people will say, “told you so”. What do you think. A coincidence? I am curious to hear what you think.

T8,
    NZers are too busy watching “X Factor”! (Go Benny/Jackie/Whenua!!)

Proclaimer
    Participant

Ha ha. True that.

My money is on Jackie.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ July 22 2013,18:39)
    I will pray for your safety, t8, as well as your family's. Do you know if this is close to Is 1:18 or Nick?

Very close. Some of the quakes have their epicentre there.
    Please pray for him and family too.
    :)

2besee
    Participant

I KNEW Jackie would win it, YAHOO!! :D

2besee
    Participant

T8, New Zealanders are tough resilient people, and no matter what happens, they will pull through.

They stick together.

Just pray.

Proclaimer
    Participant

The earthquake affected the CBD and part of the Hutt Valley, but where I live didn't get any damage. I am just glad I don't work in the city anymore. I feel safe here.
    And even though my house rocked and rolled. I knew Wellington would be 2 or 3 times worse.

2besee
    Participant

T8 I have very close whanau who live in Wellington and when I heard there was an earthquake, I couldn't get through to them and my Internet was down for some reason. I was so worried. I really thought it was worse, and am so happy it wasn't.

It is a worry though.

Proclaimer
    Participant

I think the biggest concern is they are happening in the Cook Strait, so there could be a tsunami if a 7.5 or bigger strikes. Good thing about Wellington though is you can usually head upward quite fast due to all the hills. But a Tsunami from there would strike in a matter of minutes, so no time to be complacent. Apart from a few days ago, most of the quakes are under 5 now.

Apparently there was a big tsunami here in 1855 from a 8.2 and a further tsunami because the land in the harbour was tilted. This link makes interesting reading.
    http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/tsunamis/page-2

2besee
    Participant

Thanks for the link, that was interesting.

One thing to remember: New Zealand is nuclear free, which is good.

Proclaimer
    Participant

True.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Yay. Quakes are only every 10 minutes now. Maybe running out of steam. :D

2besee
    Participant

Hi T8, That is good :)

Proclaimer
    Participant

Woo hoo!

Earth is rocking and rolling again.

About 20 quakes over 5 and 4 quakes over 6 on the Richter so far in the last hour.

Makes you feel alive.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

T8……. Hope you and everyone is OK, 5 and 6 quakes you can definitely feel. I live in California, in the US, and we have had some 7s and also many 5 and 6s and you certainly can feel them. the last 7.3 we had almost leveled the town of Coalinga about 60 miles from me , and the earth was definitely rocking and Rollin .

stay safe brother………………..gene

Proclaimer
    Participant

I didn't know about the Coalinga quake, but Wikipedia had that at a 6.5.
    I am thinking it must have been a direct hit judging from the damage I am looking at.
    A direct hit from a 6.5 can level a city as we saw in Christchurch NZ. But the chances of a direct hit are also unlikely.

According to the US Geological Survey we had 2 x 6.5s on Friday. They were in Blenheim which is where Nick lives.
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/

I was in an older building in downtown Wellington when the first one hit, and the building vibrated violently for quite a while and then swayed  for about 10 minutes. What I didn't realise was there was a 5.8 and a a bunch of 4s almost every minute after that, so that explained why the building kept swaying. Then I got stuck in a traffic jam as everyone fled the city.

Got home, and felt the next 6.5, but that wasn't nearly as strong because my house is built on a rock.   Reminds me of a bible verse.

Geonet (NZ's Earthquake Watch) say there is a 30% chance of another over 6 quake in the next week. So I am going to be working from home next week.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account