The Holy Spirit, a separate person, essence of God, or force?

Viewing 20 posts - 5,081 through 5,100 (of 6,305 total)
  • Author
    david
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Feb. 27 2012,07:38)

Quote (david @ Feb. 27 2012,07:31)

Quote (Ed J @ Feb. 27 2012,07:25)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 27 2012,07:21)
    Hi ED,
    The spirits of living things return to God Who gave them at death[Ecc12]
    God is the Father of spirits

Hi Nick,

Agreed!   It is David that doesn't seem to believe this, not me.

Your brother
    in Christ, Jesus.
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    holycitybiblecode.org

Wrong.

I don't disagree with anything Nick just said.

The Catholic seems to think you are wrong.

Hi David,

Are not “JW's” taught that one's spirit dies and stays dead instead of returning to the father?

So either you do disagree with what Nick said or you reject “JW” teaching; which is it?

God bless
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

Ed, I don't know why you think I disagree with Nick. And, on an unrelated note, I think you are confused about what JW believe.

They think of the spirit that was breathed into Adam and which made Adam come to life as a person (soul), as something that animates the person. They think of it like electricity or fire or something like that.

They think of it like a flame. When it is extinguished, where does it go? It doesn't physically go anywhere.

or they think of it as electricity running a fan for example. When the cord is cut, the fan or person stops working.

THERE IS NO PERSONALITY associated with the spirit that returns to God, or with the breath of life breathed into Adam. This is how JW's view the spirit inside of people.

(not to be confused with the holy spirit. Also, not to be confused with God, who is spirit. Also, not to be confused with breath or wind or anything else that is translated from the same word.)

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (david @ Feb. 27 2012,07:44)

Quote (Ed J @ Feb. 27 2012,07:40)

Quote (david @ Feb. 27 2012,07:32)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 27 2012,07:28)
    Hi ED,
    The only way to do this is to become one with God's Spirit in Christ.
    So all the false worship in the buildings of men waste their time

Agreed.

Ed, you must become one with God's spirit.  You must also be one with Christ.

Hi David,

What makes YOU believe that I haven't?

God bless

Sorry, Ed.  I was just jumping on the Nick bandwagon.  Its amusing to see his bizarre unrelated comments directed at someone other than myself.  Couldn't help it.  Sorry.

Hi David,

OK, it was a joke then.   …no harm, no foul. :)

God bless

david
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 27 2012,07:48)
    Hi David,
    Ecc 12.7 tells us more about the spirit of men at death

yes, that's the one I was thinking of quoting.

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (david @ Feb. 27 2012,07:48)

Hi ED,

Hi Nick,

Your brother
    in Christ, Jesus.
    holycitybiblecode.org

Wrong.

Hi David,

Are not “JW's” taught that one's spirit dies and stays dead instead of returning to the father?

So either you do disagree with what Nick said or you reject “JW” teaching; which is it?

God bless

Ed, I don't know why you think I disagree with Nick.  And, on an unrelated note, I think you are confused about what JW believe.

They think of the spirit that was breathed into Adam and which made Adam come to life as a person (soul), as something that animates the person.  They think of it like electricity or fire or something like that.  

They think of it like a flame.  When it is extinguished, where does it go?  It doesn't physically go anywhere.  

or they think of it as electricity running a fan for example.  When the cord is cut, the fan or person stops working.  

THERE IS NO PERSONALITY associated with the spirit that returns to God, or with the breath of life breathed into Adam.   This is how JW's view the spirit inside of people.

(not to be confused with the holy spirit.  Also, not to be confused with God, who is spirit.  Also, not to be confused with breath or wind or anything else that is translated from the same word.)

Hi David,

Our spirit is not a form of electricity, but who we are…

spirit, ghost

From pneo; a current of air, i.e. Breath (blast) or a breeze; by analogy or figuratively, a spirit, i.e. (human) the rational soul,
    (by implication) vital principle, mental disposition, etc., or (superhuman) an angel, demon, or (divine) God,
    Christ's spirit, the Holy Spirit — ghost, life, spirit(-ual, -ually), mind. Compare psuche.

God bless

david
    Participant

There are 1000 times where the Father is specifically directly said to be “God.”

There is NOWHERE where the “holy spirit” is clearly or distinctly said to be “God.”  

The ONE scripture where it states that someone lied to the holy spirit and then it's said that they lied to “God,” is about as easy as understanding that God's holy spirit is God's.  It's something he possesses.  It's like his finger, as scripture says.  To lie to God's finger is to lie to God.  

MORE THAN 100 TIMES the holy spirit is referred to as “the spirit of Jehovah,” “God’s spirit,” “my spirit.”
    —Judg. 3:10; Matt. 3:16; Acts 2:18; Phil. 1:19; Ps 51:11; Joel 2:28,29, etc.

If someone pokes MY EYE, and I say to them “You poked ME,” am I lying?  No.
    If someone kisses MY LIPS, can I not say they kissed ME?  Yes.
    If I said “MY FISTS want justice” could I not also say “I want justice”?  Yes.
    If I poke you with MY FINGER, could you not say: “You poked ME”?  Yes.

–WE ALL MAKE STATEMENTS LIKE THIS FREQUENTLY.  
    –Since God's holy spirit is called his finger, or arm, or since it's essentially his power or force to accomplish his will, in view of the way we normally speak of such things, and in view of the way the holy spirit is spoken of in the rest of scripture, it's clear that this one isolated case is just like the examples above.

The holy spirit is not said to be “God” in the Bible.
    God's holy spirit is never worshipped or we are never told to worship it in the Bible.
    We aren't told it loves us or that we are commanded to love it.
    We aren't told that it loves God or that it loves Jesus, unlike Jesus and God.
    Many times, both God and his son are shown to sit on a throne.  No throne seems to exist for God's holy spirit.  

The holy spirit is not God.  At least, not according to the Bible as a whole.

david
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Feb. 27 2012,07:54)

Quote (david @ Feb. 27 2012,07:48)

Hi ED,

Hi Nick,

Your brother
    in Christ, Jesus.
    holycitybiblecode.org

Wrong.

Hi David,

God bless

Ed, I don't know why you think I disagree with Nick.  And, on an unrelated note, I think you are confused about what JW believe.

They think of the spirit that was breathed into Adam and which made Adam come to life as a person (soul), as something that animates the person.  They think of it like electricity or fire or something like that.  

They think of it like a flame.  When it is extinguished, where does it go?  It doesn't physically go anywhere.  

or they think of it as electricity running a fan for example.  When the cord is cut, the fan or person stops working.  

THERE IS NO PERSONALITY associated with the spirit that returns to God, or with the breath of life breathed into Adam.   This is how JW's view the spirit inside of people.

(not to be confused with the holy spirit.  Also, not to be confused with God, who is spirit.  Also, not to be confused with breath or wind or anything else that is translated from the same word.)

Hi David,

Our spirit is not a form of electricity, but who we are…

spirit, ghost

From pneo; a current of air, i.e. Breath (blast) or a breeze; by analogy or figuratively, a spirit, i.e. (human) the rational soul,
    (by implication) vital principle, mental disposition, etc., or (superhuman) an angel, demon, or (divine) God,
    Christ's spirit, the Holy Spirit — ghost, life, spirit(-ual, -ually), mind. Compare psuche.

God bless

Who said it was a form of electricity?

I just said that is how JW's illustrate it, for understanding.

Nor do I think that God's holy spirit is literally a “finger,” with joints, and bone, etc. That is how the Bible illustrates it…for understanding.

Right, ghost… you use a Bible that is 500 years old. you should research that word, ghost and what it meant back then.

Meanings change. Today, we think of ghost as a…ghost. Back then, it just meant “spirit,” so perhaps, the translation was correct. Either way, the TV version of “Ghost” has little to do with the Bible.

david
    Participant

Ed, you are now forcing me to open my “spirit” file.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi ED,
    We are soul enlivened by spirit in a body.[1Thes 5]

david
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 27 2012,08:17)
    Hi ED,
    We are soul enlivened by spirit in a body.[1Thes 5]

Ed, Nick gets it. Ed, you might be on the wrong side on this one.

david
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Jan. 20 2010,09:51)
    Hi ED,
    Is you spirit you?
    The Spirit of God is as the finger of God.[Mt12.Lk11]

That's what I've been saying. Thus far, Ed, hasn't commented on or even acknowledged that such verses exist.

NickHassan
    Participant

Careful David,
    We are starting to agree with one another.

david
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Jan. 20 2010,11:10)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Jan. 20 2010,10:51)
    Hi ED,
    Is you spirit you?
    The Spirit of God is as the finger of God.[Mt12.Lk11]

Hi Nick,

Is your finger you?
    Mathew Chapter twelve and Luke Chapter eleven is a lot to thumb through.

God bless
    Ed J

ok, i see ed did comment on it here. (It's just with me he hasn't mentioned it.)

But he never actually answered the question. He just asked it:

Ed, is your finger you? Or is it “of” you? (the finger of Ed)
    Are you the same as your finger? Are you equal? Thoughts on this verse Ed?

david
    Participant

Hi Ed,
    If you hit my finger with a hammer then you would have hit me.
    But I am not my finger.

–Nick, page 2

Ed, these are the sorts of things I have been saying for 20 pages. I didn't know Nick had been asking such questions. It seems more than one person would like you to address this.

david
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Jan. 20 2010,16:17)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Jan. 20 2010,13:21)
    Hi Ed,
    But I am not my finger.

God is in heaven and has never left it as far as we know and that is why we are told to pray to Him there.
    Meanwhile His Spirit has been doing His work in His visible creation directly and using many vessels.

We do not pray TO and worship His Spirit do we?

Hi Nick,

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Lev.11:44 For I the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and
    ye shall be holy; for I holy: neither shall ye defile yourselves
    with any manner of creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Eph.4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

What Spirit is in all us believers?

God bless
    Ed J

ok, again, I see Ed did comment on this.

It's odd that when he quoted John 4:24, it says: “God is A spirit…” because just a while back he said the indefinite article (a) wasn't necessary in this verse. Don't know why he pointed that out, especially now, given that I see he quoted from this translation.

NickHassan
    Participant

Sorry,
    Missed this one ed
    Mt 12.28 compare Lk11.20

david
    Participant

But I am not my finger.
    –Nick.

Ed, could you address or acknowledge this FACT specifically?

david
    Participant

Ed, I just looked through the first 10 pages of this thread.

I am wondering if you ever tried to prove your case? Could you show us a list of SCRIPTURES that show what you claim? It would also be good if you could make a comment under each scripture showing why or how it supports your argument (because frankly, I sometimes have no idea why you post some of the scriptures you have been.)

Thanks.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi David,
    God is more than His finger [His Spirit]
    But his Spirit is of Him and must be respected as He is.

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (david @ Feb. 27 2012,08:04)
    There are 1000 times where the Father is specifically directly said to be “God.”

There is NOWHERE where the “holy spirit” is clearly or distinctly said to be “God.”  

The ONE scripture where it states that someone lied to the holy spirit and then it's said that they lied to “God,” is about as easy as understanding that God's holy spirit is God's.  It's something he possesses.  It's like his finger, as scripture says.  To lie to God's finger is to lie to God.  

MORE THAN 100 TIMES the holy spirit is referred to as “the spirit of Jehovah,” “God’s spirit,” “my spirit.”
    —Judg. 3:10; Matt. 3:16; Acts 2:18; Phil. 1:19; Ps 51:11; Joel 2:28,29, etc.

If someone pokes MY EYE, and I say to them “You poked ME,” am I lying?  No.
    If someone kisses MY LIPS, can I not say they kissed ME?  Yes.
    If I said “MY FISTS want justice” could I not also say “I want justice”?  Yes.
    If I poke you with MY FINGER, could you not say: “You poked ME”?  Yes.

–WE ALL MAKE STATEMENTS LIKE THIS FREQUENTLY.  
    –Since God's holy spirit is called his finger, or arm, or since it's essentially his power or force to accomplish his will, in view of the way we normally speak of such things, and in view of the way the holy spirit is spoken of in the rest of scripture, it's clear that this one isolated case is just like the examples above.

The holy spirit is not said to be “God” in the Bible.
    God's holy spirit is never worshipped or we are never told to worship it in the Bible.
    We aren't told it loves us or that we are commanded to love it.
    We aren't told that it loves God or that it loves Jesus, unlike Jesus and God.
    Many times, both God and his son are shown to sit on a throne.  No throne seems to exist for God's holy spirit.  

The holy spirit is not God.  At least, not according to the Bible as a whole.

Hi David,

Are you suggesting that besides YHVH being “Spirit”, he
    also possesses a different “spirit” called the HolySpirit?

God bless

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (david @ Feb. 27 2012,08:10)
    Ed, you are now forcing me to open my “spirit” file.

Hi David,

Excellent!   …you must be at least a district overseer in the “JW” organization then.

God bless

Viewing 20 posts - 5,081 through 5,100 (of 6,305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account