The Holy Spirit, a separate person, essence of God, or force?

Viewing 20 posts - 4,861 through 4,880 (of 6,305 total)
  • Author
    carmel
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 25 2012,05:26)
    Hi C,
    Yes God manifests in His Spirit.

Yes God manifests in His Spirit.

Nick,

what actually is the meaning of “manifest”

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (carmel @ Feb. 25 2012,04:58)

Quote (Ed J @ Feb. 21 2012,17:25)
    Hi Carmel,

How do you define “person”?   …also did you click on the link in my last post?

God bless
    Ed J

How do you define “person”?  

Edj,

A person is a mysterious one human being.

Therefore if I tell you that I am a person,it means that you know nothing about me more than I made you aware through my posts.

If you tell the police that you met a person it is equivalent to have told the police nothing.

So a person is a mystery unless it is backed with information.

I ask you a simple question and you will also have your answer.

Is God a Person???

Also since I believe in a triune God it is clear enough that the three persons of the God head are mystery!!

Peace and love in Jesus

Charles

Hi Marlin,

A person is human. (physical)
    “GOD” is an entity. (Spiritual)

God bless
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (david @ Feb. 24 2012,11:32)

Hi Carmel.  I am curious where you think the holy spirit is called “god” in the bible?

Hi David, Acts 5:3-4.

Luke 12:10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him:
    but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Spirit (speaketh against the Holy Spirit), it
    shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come. (Mt.12:32)

God bless

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi C,
    God IS in heaven and Jesus told us to pray to Him there[mt 6.9]
    But His Spirit was in Jesus Christ and later the disciples and us.
    God is at work in you to will and to do.[Phil 2.13]
    The Spirit is the finger of God[Lk11 cf Mt12]

journey42
    Participant

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Feb. 25 2012,01:46)
    Journey42………..Sorry for not getting back to you on this , But i think this all takes place at the end of the 1000 yr reign of Jesus and the Saints, when Satan or adversarial (evil ) is released on the earth again and then there shall arise a Beast Power and a False Prophet and gather the nation to war against Jesus and the Saints who will retreat back to Jerusalem  and this great Army will come to destory them at Jerusalem and Fire will come down from Heaven and devour them all.

Revelation deals with  both time periods i believe and people get them mixed up, what helps to keep them straight is to read what Jesus himself said about the condition of the world at his return.

The One thousand Year Period serves a Purpose and understanding that purpose of the thousand year period is a Key to understanding the time of those prophesied events. Also understand the symbolic language use is important too. IMO

peace and love to you and yours………………………………………………………gene

Hi Gene

Thanks for that.  Yes I know about the war of Gog and Magog.  This is all mentioned in Ezekiel Chapter 38 & 39 and happens after the 1000 year reign.  This is when Satan is released from prison and attacks the camp of the saints (rev 20:7-10)  

but what I showed you is that at Christ's return, he will throw the false prophet, and the beast (his army) into the lake of fire.(Rev 19:20)  They are destroyed then, at his coming.  

then after the 1000 years, the war of Gog and Magog, the last battle;

Rev 20:10   And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night forever and ever.

The devil will join the beast and the false prophet in the lake of fire, as they were already thrown in there 1000 years before at Christ 2nd coming.
    So this shows us that the false prophet will arrive soon, in our time, before Christ comes and so is before the millennium begins, and will cause all to take the mark.  Then those who take the mark will suffer the wrath of God, (the 7 trumpets, 7 vials)

FIRST VIAL
    Rev 16:2   And the first went, and poured out his vial upon the earth; and there fell a noisome and grievous sore upon the men which had the mark of the beast, and upon them which worshiped his image.

Israel will be utterly invaded and attacked before Christ's coming by the false prophet and beast for all the scriptures to harmonise.
    They will upset the kings of the east for some reason, and most likely by destroying the Dome of the Rock, (holiest moslem temple) causing them the kings of the east (muslim nations) to rise up with great wrath, and move in and war for revenge. This is when the euphrates river will dry up, so they can cross over by land.  This is the Medes, and their allies. (Iran)

Gog and Magog is a different battle. They will be surrounded, but not attacked.  Nothing that defiles is allowed to enter the kingdom set up in Jerusalem.  Not one of those living in that kingdom will be touched. God himself, will personally destroy Gog and Magog (his armies)  This will be the end of Satan.  Whereas in the first war, the city of Jerusalem got taken.

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Feb. 19 2012,20:40)

Quote (journey42 @ Feb. 18 2012,13:27)
    The Word carries the message

HI Georgie,

“The Word” is the message,
    the message is “The Word”.

God bless
    Ed J  

Hi Georgie,

Do you agree with this?

Your brother
    in Christ, Jesus.
    holycitybiblecode.org

journey42
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Feb. 25 2012,10:20)

HI Georgie,

God bless
    Ed J  

Hi Georgie,

Do you agree with this?

Your brother
    in Christ, Jesus.
    holycitybiblecode.org

Hi Ed

I think about it this way.

The Word is everything that proceeds out of God's mouth.
    The Word became flesh, so this Word now is Christ.
    but the Word still came from God's mouth.

Christ carried that message. There is a new kingdom coming, and forgiveness of sins if we now go through him.
    That Word given from God was inside him, as he said everything I speak is my father speaking through me.

But not everything done with God's word is a message to us. For he commands and carries out his plans on certain matters without our knowledge. We cannot fathom God's intelligence, and how he made things etc.

But the Word he left us, in print is the message, in real life, is Christ, and revealing only a snippet of what he is capable of, and doing.

So the Word he gave us is the message, that's correct,
    but the definition you use is not entirely correct, simply because his Word is capable of so much more than just being a message. It performs other things as well. It's more than that, and not only that.

I hope this makes sense

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (journey42 @ Feb. 25 2012,11:21)

HI Georgie,

God bless
    Ed J  

Hi Georgie,

Do you agree with this?

Your brother
    in Christ, Jesus.
    holycitybiblecode.org

Hi Ed

Christ carried that message.  There is a new kingdom coming, and forgiveness of sins if we now go through him.
    That Word given from God was inside him, as he said everything I speak is my father speaking through me.

But not everything done with God's word is a message to us.  For he commands and carries out his plans on certain matters without our knowledge. We cannot fathom God's intelligence, and how he made things etc.

But the Word he left us, in print is the message, in real life, is Christ, and revealing only a snippet of what he is capable of, and doing.

but the definition you use is not entirely correct, simply because his Word is capable of so much more than just being a message.  It performs other things as well.  It's more than that, and not only that.

I hope this makes sense

Hi Georgie,

Is it not the “HolySpirit” which carries Gods message? (see Hebrews 1:1-2)

God bless

Ed J
    Participant

HI Georgie,

the words that I(Jesus) speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.” (John 6:63)

God bless

journey42
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Feb. 25 2012,11:57)

HI Georgie,

God bless
    Ed J  

Hi Georgie,

Do you agree with this?

Your brother
    in Christ, Jesus.
    holycitybiblecode.org

Hi Ed

Christ carried that message.  There is a new kingdom coming, and forgiveness of sins if we now go through him.

But not everything done with God's word is a message to us.  For he commands and carries out his plans on certain matters without our knowledge. We cannot fathom God's intelligence, and how he made things etc.

but the definition you use is not entirely correct, simply because his Word is capable of so much more than just being a message.  It performs other things as well.  It's more than that, and not only that.

I hope this makes sense

Hi Georgie,

God bless

Ed

The holy spirit is in the Word. It is not the Word. The holy spirit helps us to understand the Word. The holy spirit is a guide for us. It guides us to truth and helps us understand. There are also manifestations of the holy spirit, and it's demonstration of power, like the miracles Jesus and the apostles performed.

Jesus had the holy spirit in him. He was not that holy spirit. The holy spirit is a force, comforter, spirit of truth, and it comes from God. Now God has given Jesus the power to grant this holy spirit to whomever wishes to feed on the truth.
    The holy spirit has no body, but dwells and performs where ever it is sent. It is a force, power.

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (journey42 @ Feb. 25 2012,13:17)

Quote (Ed J @ Feb. 25 2012,11:57)

HI Georgie,

God bless
    Ed J  

Hi Georgie,

Do you agree with this?

Your brother
    in Christ, Jesus.
    holycitybiblecode.org

Hi Ed

I hope this makes sense

Hi Georgie,

God bless

Ed

The holy spirit is in the Word.  It is not the Word.  The holy spirit helps us to understand the Word.  The holy spirit is a guide for us.  It guides us to truth and helps us understand.  There are also manifestations of the holy spirit, and it's demonstration of power, like the miracles Jesus and the apostles performed.

Jesus had the holy spirit in him.  He was not that holy spirit.  The holy spirit is a force, comforter, spirit of truth, and it comes from God.  Now God has given  Jesus the power to grant this holy spirit to whomever wishes to feed on the truth.
    The holy spirit has no body, but dwells and performs where ever it is sent.  It is a force, power.

HI Georgie, thank you for attempt to answer my question, but your answer now leads to yet another question…

What “Spirit” are you suggesting that Jesus was referring to in John 6:63?…   <– Please answer

the words that I(Jesus) speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.” (John 6:63)

Will you PLEASE answer the questions that I ask?   Along with whatever else you wish to say?
    Your uncle gives L O N G responsive posts, BUT IGNORES THE QUESTIONS THAT I ASK HIM TO ANSWER?

God bless

david
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Feb. 25 2012,07:27)

Quote (david @ Feb. 24 2012,11:32)

Hi Carmel.  I am curious where you think the holy spirit is called “god” in the bible?

Hi David, Acts 5:3-4.

Luke 12:10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him:
    but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Spirit (speaketh against the Holy Spirit), it
    shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come. (Mt.12:32)

God bless

Ed,

I've looked through the entire Bible. Here are some phrases I found repeatedly in Scripture:

Jehovah your God–455 times
    Jehovah the God of–204 times
    Jehovah our God–105 times
    Jehovah God–50 times
    Jehovah their God–39 times
    Jehovah my God–40 times
    Jehovah his God–29 times
    Jehovah the [true] God–8 times.
    the [true] God Jehovah–4 times
    Jehovah is a God–7 times
    Jehovah a God–1 time
    Jehovah is in truth God–1 time
    Jehovah is God–1 time
    Jehovah is my God–1 time
    Jehovah is our God–1 time

1000 times Ed. 1000 times, we are clearly and unmistakably told without question that Jehovah is God.

Luke 12 certainly says no such thing. If you look up the definition of blasphemy, you will see that it can apply to sacred things (such as the holy spirit) and doesn't have to apply to God.

And Acts 5:3,4, is extremely week. Why is it made so abundantly clear that “Jehovah is God” and at the most, only vaguely hinted at that the holy spirit is? Odd, don't you think?

Given that the holy spirit is God's holy spirit, his finger, it is “of” him, it should be understandable that to lie to the holy spirit is to lie to God.

If I cut your finger off, I could equally say that I made “you” ed, bleed. Does this mean that your “finger” IS you?

No, just like God's holy spirit is called his “arm” and his “finger” in scripture, so too, we understand that is “of” him.

If we consider scriptures such as this that speak of the holy spirit as God's finger, it's very easy to understand why it isn't made clear that the holy spirit is “God.” Because it isn't!

Look at the scripture. You lied to the holy spirit. You lied to God.
    Well, couldn't I say: I made your finger bleed. I made YOU bleed?

Does this mean that your finger IS you? Or is it “of” you? As in the spirit “of” God, as it's often said to be?

I find it so bizarre that Jehovah can be so clearly called “God” 1000 times, and you think that this one scripture, which doesn't say: “the holy spirit is God” or “the holy spirit my God” or anything like that, is proof of something?

You do remember the “finger” scripture I speak of, I assume?

david

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi David,
    if you are in the kingdom
    God is at work in you to will and to do.

But God is in heaven? Mt 6

david
    Participant

Nick, I think you may have fallen into the wrong thread. This thread is discussing whether or not the holy spirit is God.

david
    Participant

Here are reasons that it seems the holy spirit is NOT God.

It is in point form. All these points come with many scriptures and are 15 pages long. So, this is the very condensed version:

POINT FORM:
    -The Bible doesn't say the holy spirit is God. (see post above)
    –The Bible gives no indication that the holy spirt was worshiped.
    –The Jews and the Hebrew Scriptures give no hint even that the holy spirit is a person, much less that it is worshiped as God. (They viewed God’s spirit as something God possesses.)
    –The holy spirit is never portrayed as a person, sitting on a throne for example…it's shown to be God's finger, his hand, a dove, fire, etc, etc….but never shown or pictured as a distinct person.
    –The holy spirit is left out on a whole lot–knowing what God knows–being there pictured with Jesus and his Father in all the visions, etc.
    –It is without question given a secondary position in scripture. (John 17:3) All the greetings of the apostle Paul's letters, not to mention James, Peter and John open by saying something like: “May you have undeserved kindness and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.” (Romans 1:7) They seem to be unfamiliar with the third part of the trinity. Why?
    –The holy spirit has no distinctive name unlike Jehovah and Jesus and everyone else.
    –The holy spirit is God's holy spirit, “the spirit of Jehovah,” “God’s spirit,” It is something God possesses.
    –The holy spirit is used in parallel with very impersonal things–water and fire for example. Another example: “by purity, by knowledge, by long-suffering, by kindness, by holy spirit, by love free from hypocrisy.” (2 cor 6:4-6)
    –You can be filled with holy spirit just as you can be filled with wisdom and faith or joy. Lumping the holy spirit in with impersonal things indicates a lack of personality.
    –The holy spirit being part of a trinity was not really an established belief until a few hundred years after Christ, coincidentally, many other apostasy like changes had occurred around this time.
    –It's quite often spoken of in a way that indicates it is not a person. It is referred to as a “gift.” It is said to be divisible and able to be distributed.
    It can ‘fill’ a person, and a person can be “full of holy spirit.” It can be “upon” him and envelop him. Holy spirit was ‘given,’ and ‘poured out upon,’ It can be quenched. People can drink of it. The holy spirit also renews us and must be stirred up within us. Some of God’s holy spirit can be taken from one person and given to another. The holy spirit can become operative upon someone, enabling him to perform superhuman feats.
    People can be ‘baptized’ “in holy spirit”; and they can be “anointed” with it.
    –In many passages, Jesus spoke of the relationship and love between himself and his Father. We are commanded to love the Father and the Son, but not the holy spirit. We are told the the Father and Son love us, but not told this of the holy spirit.

COUNTERARGUMENT
    It's true that God's finger, his spirit is spoken of in a personal way often. But so are many other things: death, sin, blood, water, wisdom, etc. This is called personification. It is used often in the Bible and other literature. You could argue that it's not personification, except for all the other arguments above—It is spoken of both personally (use of personification) and ALSO VERY IMPERSONALLY. Taken together, it's obvious that personification is being used. If not, it is very odd that the holy spirit would so often be spoken of impersonally if it were a being.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi D,
    Yes the Spirit is God in Jesus and us.
    The Spirit is of the Father
    the Spirit is of God.
    Phil 2

david
    Participant

Nick, just to be clear, are you saying that “the [holy] Spirit is God…”?

You say the spirit is “of God.” True. the holy spirit is often spoken of possessively.

Let's say this: Nicks' finger is “of” Nick. It's a part of Nick. It's something Nick possesses.
    If I cut your finger, I can also be said to have cut you, Nick. Yet, your finger is a part “of” you and is not equal to you.

Nick, Do you believe the holy spirit is God, as Ed does? Or did I misunderstand your words?

Ed J
    Participant

Hi David: JEHOVAH is GOD”(“YHVH is GOD”=117) is actually written “3” times in total, not only once like the N.W.T. has it.

You need to get yourself a real bible; the AKJV Bible.  (Posts)  Seventh, eighth, and ninth

Psalm 12:6-7 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
    Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them (in the AKJV Bible) from this generation for ever.
    Isaiah 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue
    (that is English) will he speak to this people.

1Cor.14:27 (AKJV) If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two(Hebrew, Aramaic),
    or at the most by three
    (Greek), and that by course; [and let one (“AKJV Bible”) translate].

God's Signature  
                                                Proof of God=117

GOD(26) → The Bible(63) → AKJV Bible(74) → The LORD JEHOVAH(151)

יהוה=26 (God's Name: YHVH pronounced YÄ-hä-vā)
                     YHVH=63 (God's Name יהוה translated into English)
                     Jesus=74 (God's Son's name in English is: “Joshua”)
                     HolySpirit=151 (“FATHER: The Word”: in all believers)
                     God The Father=117 (Representing “GOD”: יהוה האלהים)

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them YE ‘think’  
    YE have eternal life: and “
    they” aretheywhich testify of me.

(Link to this ONGOING discussion)

Luke 12:52 For from henceforth there shall be FIVE in one house DIVIDED,
    three(Trins) against two(non-Trins), and two(non-Trins) against three(Trins).

God bless

david
    Participant

Hi David: JEHOVAH is GOD”(“YHVH is GOD”=117) is actually written “3” times in total, not only once like the N.W.T. has it.

Sorry, Ed, since I was going through the whole Bible, I did that pretty quickly. If I'm off by 2 out of 1000, it's not that bad. But, you understand my point, I assume.

Yet, you did not address it.

(Ed, on a separate note, did you notice that someone is making a KJ Bible, but putting God's name back in it? Not just in the 4 or so places the KJ has it, but in the thousands of places the KJ took it out? I thought this would interest you, since you like the KJ so much)

david
    Participant

Hi Ed. i know this is slightly off topic, but I'm wondering if you could point out where it occurs 3 times. I am sure you are right. I just would like to see it for myself so I can correct it. Thanks.

Viewing 20 posts - 4,861 through 4,880 (of 6,305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account