The Holy Spirit, a separate person, essence of God, or force?

Viewing 20 posts - 2,961 through 2,980 (of 6,305 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi M.
    Of course the Spirit of God does not just guide us.
    the Spirit enlivens, teaches, transforms, empowers and produces useful fruit in us.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi M,
    The Spirit is the Spirit of Grace.
    Enablement in all things is from the Spirit.

martian
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Nov. 27 2009,07:22)
    Hi M,
    The Spirit is the Spirit of Grace.
    Enablement in all things is from the Spirit.

I was actually looking for what the spirit is rather then what it does. But thanks nevertheless.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi M,
    Can you analyse the wind?

Participant

Quote (martian @ Nov. 27 2009,03:23)
    The word most often translated in Hebrew as “spirit” is “ruahh”. The term “ruahh” literally means breath or wind. The Hebrew culture saw the breath as the life of a person. Relating it to their natural realm, without breath there was no life.
    From the very beginning it is obvious that God’s breath was the animating force that gave Adam life. Gen 2:7

This is continued in the rest of humanity as is made clear in Job —
    Job 27
    3For as long as life is in me,
            And the breath of God is in my nostrils,
       4My lips certainly will not speak unjustly,
            Nor will my tongue mutter deceit.
    Job 33
      4″The Spirit of God has made me,
            And the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

The same word for breath or wind is translated in other curious ways. —

Deut 33
    13Of Joseph he said,
”Blessed of the LORD be his land,
With the choice things of heaven, with the dew, And from the deep lying beneath, 

14And with the choice yield of the sun,
 And with the choice produce of the months. (ruahh)

Job 31
     32″The alien has not lodged outside,
            For I have opened my doors to the traveler. (ruahh)

Exo 11
    5and all the firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the firstborn of the Pharaoh who sits on his throne, even to the firstborn of the slave girl who is behind the millstones;(ruahh) all the firstborn of the cattle as well.

What does wind/breath, months, traveler, and millstone have in common? To understand that one must understand that the Hebrews did not view their world from an abstract intellectualized construct. A simple nomadic people they saw things in a very organic manner. They saw their world from a functional viewpoint. They related everything including the workings of God to the real and natural world and their culture. They viewed their world and God’s dealings with them through their five senses.
    All of these things follow a prescribed path. The months from one to another. The traveler to his destination and the millstone on it’s continual circular path. In the same way the natural trade winds common in the Far East followed a prescribed path. These winds were a guide to these nomadic people. Though the wind itself cannot be seen, the effects of the wind can, in the moving of the leaves and the pressure of the moving air against their bodies.
    God has a prescribed path for us to follow. It is straight and does not vary. The Hebrew word for straight is tsadirq and is often translated righteous.

Psalms 1
    6For the LORD knows the way of the righteous,
            But the way of the wicked will perish.

Psalms 27
    11Teach me Your way, O LORD,
            And lead me in a level path

When God gives us a new breath, His breath, He will cause us to follow His path.

Eze 36
    26″Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit (breath) within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
    27″I will put My Spirit (breath) within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.

It is also interesting to note that the word “holy” literally means set aside for a special purpose. When we see the terms “Holy Spirit” it literally means — the breath of God that is set aside as the source of life and to guide and direct you along the path of righteousness.
    This understanding of the Holy Spirit easily translates into the New Testament. In fact the Greek word “pneuma” means exactly the same as “ruahh” in the Hebrew = Wind or breath.

God promises His special wind/breath will direct the Apostles along their prescribed path.
    Acts 1:8
but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.”

God also directed Jesus along his prescribed path.
    Ats 10:38
”You know of Jesus of Nazareth, how God anointed Him with the Holy Spirit (his special wind breath) and with power, and how He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.

Paul relied on the breath/wind of God in him to do what was prescribed on his path.
    Romans 15:19
in the power of signs and wonders, in the power of the Spirit(breath of God); so that from Jerusalem and round about as far as Illyricum I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.

We are commanded to have that same breath in us to guide us on our path.
    Ephesians 3:16
that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit (wind/breath) in the inner man,

Jesus had this breath upon Him
    Matthew 3:16
After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit (wind breath) of God descending as a dove and lighting on Him,

Jesus was full of the breath of God and led by it.
    Luke 4:1
 Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, (special breath) returned from the Jordan and was led around by the Spirit (wind/breath) in the wilderness

We too are to be filled with the breath of God. If fact we are to be filled to the same degree as Jesus.
    Eph 3
    16that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man,
    17so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
    18may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth,
    19and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be FILLED UP TO ALL THE FULLNESS OF GOD.

What is the end of the prescribed path for us? That we become mature men, even as Christ our example.
    Ephesians 4:13
until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

Hi Martian:

I understand that God's breathed the breathe of life into Adam's nostrils and he became a living soul.

But I see the Holy Spirit as more than just God's breath but I understand that it is His very life.  A person is known by what He does, that is, by the life that he lives.  

God instructs His children, saying be ye Holy for I am Holy.  We know that He is Holy because of what He does.

Jesus says the following which I believe substatiates what I am saying,

Jhn 6:63   It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are life.  

And based on the following scriptures, I can't understand that the Holy Spirit is simply the breath of God, but again, is His life.

1Cr 2:9   But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.  
    1Cr 2:10   But God hath revealed [them] unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.  
    1Cr 2:11   For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things  

Love in Christ,
    Marty

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

To All…….spirit simply put (IS) Intellect, Words are expressions of Intellect and Jesus said they (ARE) Spirit and Life. Over complicating this is the cause of much confusion in religions. Try the spirits to see if they are of GOD. What are you trying, is it not a man words.  Words are the expression of ones intellect.

Holy Spirit is simply , Special Spirit (intellect) from GOD. It produces a different way of thinking if it is in you. It is the (SEED) of GOD. Giving us a new nature.  IMO

peace and love to you all……………gene

NickHassan
    Participant

G,
    Is it written or just your own idea?

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick…..It is written if you understand what (A WORD IS) it is the expression of one intellect. Your failure to understand this is a great hindered to you growth. I am not asking you to believe me Believe what Jesus Plainly said. IMO

peace………..gene

NickHassan
    Participant

G,
    I see.
    Do you sell these interpretation glasses?
    What is written should be quite sufficient without adding this intellect nonsense.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick……….. So in your opinion Spirit has nothing to do with intellect right? If you can't understand what Jesus was saying , that is your problem Nick, most With The Spirit of God can easily understand that Spirit (IS) the intellect of GOD. But then again you do believe also in the false teaching of the preexistence Doctrine to. Perhaps in time you may come to see you lack of understanding. As i tole you before Go and get a understand of what a (WORD) is and then believe what Jesus said the SPIRIT is. Should be no problem for any truly spiritual mind to understand. Making Spirit complicated and not understandable is part of the (MYSTERY RELIGION) teachings. Why do you foster such teachings? It add nothing to any of us.

gene

NickHassan
    Participant

G,
    You only need to show it written and you will not need to attack us.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick………..You are the attacker Here not Me i am defending my beliefs, JESUS SAID ” THE (WORDS) I AM SPEAKING TO YOU (ARE) SPIRIT AND LIFE. NOW USE YOU HEAD AND ASK YOU SELF (WHAT) A (WORD) IS, BINGO, YOU HAVE IT, IT IS AND EXPRESSION OF INTELLECT OR THE MIND MAYBE THAT WILL MAKE IT SIMPLER FOR YOU. ” remember? “Let this this (MIND) be in you that was in Christ Jesus our lord.”

gene

NickHassan
    Participant

G,
    No intellect there.
    Your own ideas?

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick………So in your mind, a mind is void of Intellect and a Word does not express intellect either right? Perhaps you need a dictionary may help you understand this. I spouse you don't agree with this either “I THINK THEREFORE I AM” right. After all intellect has nothing to do with thinking right , and God Spirit is a none thinking intellect of any kind right. Nick do you even Know what INTELLECT IS?

gene

Participant

Quote (Gene @ Nov. 27 2009,13:32)
    To All…….spirit simply put (IS) Intellect, Words are expressions of Intellect and Jesus said they (ARE) Spirit and Life. Over complicating this is the cause of much confusion in religions. Try the spirits to see if they are of GOD. What are you trying, is it not a man words.  Words are the expression of ones intellect.

Holy Spirit is simply , Special Spirit (intellect) from GOD. It produces a different way of thinking if it is in you. It is the (SEED) of GOD. Giving us a new nature.  IMO

Hi Gene:

Do the following scriptures say that spirit is intellect or do they refer to the life that a person lives? In essence, are they children of God or children of the devil by virtue of the life that they live.

1Jo 4:1 ¶ Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

1Jo 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

1Jo 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that [spirit] of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

1Jo 3:10 ¶ In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Marty……..Everything you quoted show (INTELLECT) in the person. “TRY THE SPIRITS TO SEE IF THEY ARE OF GOD”. So what are you trying , is it not there (WORDS) expression of ones intellect, same applies to the rest of what you quoted. Holy is HOLY INTELLECT and when It is SPOKEN it is HOLY WORDS. There is no mystery religion here it is sound and sensible. Those who deny this are pushing (MYSTERY RELIGIONS) and have no idea what Spirit really is. They can not even explain what spirit means to them because they are in confusion. IMO

peace and love to you and yours………………….gene

Participant

Quote (Gene @ Nov. 27 2009,14:57)
    Marty……..Everything you quoted show (INTELLECT) in the person. “TRY THE SPIRITS TO SEE IF THEY ARE OF GOD”. So what are you  trying , is it not there (WORDS) expression of ones intellect, same applies to the rest of what you quoted. Holy is HOLY INTELLECT and when It is SPOKEN it is HOLY WORDS. There is no mystery religion here it is sound and sensible. Those who deny this are pushing (MYSTERY RELIGIONS) and have no idea what Spirit really is. They can not even explain what spirit means to them because they are in confusion. IMO

peace and love to you and yours………………….gene

Hi Gene:

I disagree because intellect has to do with the mind, and that is not what I am understanding.

Luk 6:43 ¶ For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

Luk 6:44 For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.

Luk 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Luk 6:46 ¶ And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

A tree is know by the fruit it produces. It is the life that a person lives that determines who he is.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Spirit of Wisdom: Isa 11:2; Eph 1:17
    Spirit of Counsel: Isa 11:2
    Spirit of Understanding: Isa 11:2
    Spirit of Knowledge: Isa 11:2
    Spirit of Truth: Jhn 14:17; 15:26
    Spirit of Revelation: Eph 1:17
    Spirit of Judgment: Isa 4:4; 28:6
    Seven Spirits of 'Elohim: Rev 1:4
    :blues:

banana
    Participant

Good job Const.

You have shown all of us that there is;
    one Father; one Son; and seven Holy Spirits, and they are all one; what is there so hard to understand? And my guess is, none of the seven Spirits have any names either, am I right?
    What I don't understand is, why do people insist on remaining ignorant?
    Why is it that the word of God is so clear on the fact that there is one God, he has no equal, ther is no other, and then comes man in his infinite wisdom and says, “God, you got it all wrong”; does it not make you feel good to be smarter then God?
    Paul says 1 Cor. 2:11, there is a spirit in man; have you ever felt like you're a twin of something?
    Ya, you have another man living in you, yea, some of us even show it.
    Did Paul say, Phil. 2:5, let this “person” be in you that was also in Christ Jesus? My bible says “mind”.
    What is it that you have and animals don't have, a mind or a spirit, or maby both?
    What is this spirit in you, is it your mind, or is it your soul? but then, if your body is your soul, then what is your soul? is it your spirit , or is it your mind, or maybe both? well I'm sure you will figure it out with your infinite wisdom.
    How could Paul have gotten it so wrong?

Eph 4:6   One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.  

Every body knows, you can't ecault God.

Phl 2:9   Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:  

Georg

banana
    Participant

Quote (Gene @ Nov. 27 2009,13:32)

God's Holy Spirit is much, much more then just intellect. Intellect is what a person is. God's Holy Spirit is not a person.
    It seems everything is intellect with you. The Holy Spirit is like the wind. You see the result of it. We can't understand the things of God without God's Holy Spirit.

Peace and Love Irene

Viewing 20 posts - 2,961 through 2,980 (of 6,305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account