The Holy Spirit, a separate person, essence of God, or force?

Viewing 20 posts - 2,821 through 2,840 (of 6,305 total)
  • Author
    kerwin
    Participant

Quote (Gene @ Oct. 27 2009,10:11)
    Nick……….you have (NO) idea what Breath even is symbolically of literally, if you did you would not have made that statement. The breathe of GOD (IS) the SPIRIT(intellect) from GOD and GOD has given it to (EVERY) man coming into the World, and it returns to him when you die.

gene

I believe you are confusing soul with spirit.  I believe the translators of some versions of scripture also did that.  The soul is the essence of whom you are while the spirit is your temperament or outlook.   The later changes, i.e. rebirth while the earlier always remains the same.  You are still you despite being reborn in the spirit.

Quote (kerwin @ Oct. 30 2009,03:54)

Quote (Gene @ Oct. 27 2009,10:11)
    Nick……….you have (NO) idea what Breath even is symbolically of literally, if you did you would not have made that statement. The breathe of GOD (IS) the SPIRIT(intellect) from GOD and GOD has given it to (EVERY) man coming into the World, and it returns to him when you die.

gene

I believe you are confusing soul with spirit.  I believe the translators of some versions of scripture also did that.  The soul is the essence of whom you are while the spirit is your temperament or outlook.   The later changes, i.e. rebirth while the earlier always remains the same.  You are still you despite being reborn in the spirit.

Peasonally I believe they should have kept the Hebrew/Greek words of soul/spirit instead of the English. Maybe there would less bastardization of meanings. But then again, who knows.

Tim Kraft
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Oct. 14 2009,18:41)

Quote (Jesus name follower of Christ @ Oct. 14 2009,06:24)
    I go to an apostolic church now not baptist any moreb I found more

Your “church” is not a church at all.  It is a group of people who believe and preach and teach Sabellian heresy.

There is only ONE Church and it is the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.

Your church is NOT apostolic.

Ap: There is truly ONE CHURCH, ONE LORD, ONE GOD, ONE SPIRIT, ONE BODY, ONE TEMPLE,
    HUMAN BEINGS! TK

amen tk

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Kerwin……..A Soul is body + Spirit, when a man dies his body corrupts and is gone for ever, His spirit (intellect) returns to him who gave it in the first place. All coming into the world are enlightened by Spirit (intellect), when a SOUL, body + spirit (intellect) receives HOLY SPIRIT he receives (Special) Spirit or intellect from GOD and the intellect is added to what he already has changing his overall thinking to conform more to GOD'S thinking, He become a GODLY being a son of GOD. Spirit is compared to breath because breath gives life to the body, Spirit gives life also because it causes us to breath and to think it animates our bodies through our minds it is the essence of what life is. We express our Spirits(intellects) through words, as Jesus said the words i am telling you (ARE) spirit and (ARE) life. It is not difficult to understand it's all this MYSTERY RELIGION Ideologies that confuses everything. Spirit is simply some (INTELLECT) Given us by God, some have more then others but it is all of GOD. Because all thought originates from GOD. Life itself (IS) thought in all things at some level. Even a one celled animals shows some intellect as scientist have proven. GOD who is Spirit (intellect) is in all creation that has life in it. You can not have life without spirit at one level or another. IMO

gene

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Kerwin……..A Soul is body + Spirit, when a man dies his body corrupts and is gone for ever, His spirit (intellect) returns to him who gave it in the first place. All coming into the world are enlightened by Spirit (intellect), when a SOUL, body + spirit (intellect) receives HOLY SPIRIT he receives (Special) Spirit or intellect from GOD and the intellect is added to what he already has changing his overall thinking to conform more to GOD'S thinking, He become a GODLY being a son of GOD. Spirit is compared to breath because breath gives life to the body, Spirit gives life also because it causes us to breath and to think it animates our bodies through our minds it is the essence of what life is. We express our Spirits(intellects) through words, as Jesus said the words i am telling you (ARE) spirit and (ARE) life. It is not difficult to understand it's all this MYSTERY RELIGION Ideologies that confuses everything. Spirit is simply some (INTELLECT) Given us by God, some have more then others but it is all of GOD. Because all thought originates from GOD. Life itself (IS) thought in all things at some level. Even a one celled animals shows some intellect as scientist have proven. GOD who is Spirit (intellect) is in all creation that has life in it. You can not have life without spirit at one level or another. IMO

gene

kerwin
    Participant

Gene wrote:

Kerwin……..A Soul is body + Spirit,  when a man dies his body corrupts and is gone for ever, His spirit (intellect) returns to him who gave it in the first place.

I disagree as the body is merely the tent of the soul.

2 Peter 1:13-15(NIV) reads:

I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things.

Peter is clearly just occupying his body and it is not part of him.  His Spirit on the other hand effects how he views and reacts with the world which is why it is written.

1 Peter 4:1-2(NIV) reads:

Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin. As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,
    Though spirit and soul are sometimes used interchangeably there is a difference[Heb4] and by definition the spirit of a man gives him life[Jas2.26] but his soul is the person.

The salvation of the soul is the purpose of God.[1Peter 1.9, 2.25]

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick………Salvation ofthe SOUL includes both body and Spirit. because that is what a Soul is, Body + Spirit = Soul

gene

NickHassan
    Participant

G,
    By your personal teaching yes.
    But not scripture.

scripture is truth but your teachings??

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick………So show us where a soul is different then what i said or should i say what Scripture says it is. In fact you teachings on this is by your personal teachings and are not scriptural, and i agree Scripture is truth but your teaching ???

gene

NickHassan
    Participant

G,
    You need to show support for what you say as we do not disprove by scripture what is not written.
    It disproves itself

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

To ALL………….In Genesis GOD made a BODY and Breathe life giving Spirit into it and then man became a Nafesh or SOUL. Scripture shows nothing more was added to it. Man was not a Soul and then GOD gave him spirit As Nicks false assumptions would have you believe, no Man became a living Soul after GOD breath Spirit into Him. BODY + SPIRIT = SOUL, Nothing more , nothing less. Jesus said fear GOD who can destory both body and Soul in the grave , why because without a body you can't have a soul.

When a man dies his body corrupts , his spirit goes to him who gave it, thats it, he is in a perished state and will remain that was until God resurrects another body and adds Spirit back into it and then he will become a living Soul again, just that simple. Mystery Religion advocates want to complicate what is really quite simple and easy to understand.

peace and love…………………gene

NickHassan
    Participant

G,
    You forgot it was a LIVING soul.
    Life is from spirit.[Jas2]

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick……..When Spirit was introduces in Adams body he then became a living soul, not until spirit was add to the body was it a living soul.

as i said BODY+ SPIRIT = SOUL just that simple nothing complicated about it.The Spirit animates the body it is in, if it is not in a body it is useless because it can produce no effect, same with an unclean Spirit (intellect) as with a Clean Spirit (intellect) it must be in a body to animate it. IMO

gene

NickHassan
    Participant

G,
    God blew into the earth [body] and man became a living[spirit] soul[soul]

Your maths is not written

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (Gene @ Oct. 31 2009,04:55)
    Nick………Salvation ofthe SOUL includes both body and Spirit. because that is what a Soul is, Body + Spirit = Soul

gene

This is what is written and it does not agree with what you are writing.  Can you explain the discrepancies?

1 Corinthians 15:42-57(NIV) reads:

So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.
         If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. So it is written: “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit. The spiritual did not come first, but the natural, and after that the spiritual. The first man was of the dust of the earth, the second man from heaven. As was the earthly man, so are those who are of the earth; and as is the man from heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. And just as we have borne the likeness of the earthly man, so shall we bear the likeness of the man from heaven.

I declare to you, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”
    “Where, O death, is your victory?
         Where, O death, is your sting?”h] The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

and

Psalms 63:1(KJV) reads:

O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Kerwin……..None of what you quoted disagree with what i posted, our “earthly” flesh and blood bodies can not go into the kingdom of GOD , so you assume no body can, that is your error , Jesus after his resurrection had a body, He said I am not a Spirit as you suppose for a Spirit does not have flesh and bone, as you see i have, notice he did not say flesh and blood, a body is just a container for spirit. We have bodies that contain flesh and blood and spirit, when we die the Spirit in that body goes back to GOD who gave it in the first place. WE then (PARISH) we are perishable, but when GOD recreates a new body and adds spirit back into it , this body nerves dies because it is spiritually made and life never leaves it it is imperishable. Angles have bodies like the ones we will have, because we shall be as the angles Jesus said. Nothing you have produced changes the fact…….BODY + SPIRIT = A SOUL. Spirit is (NOT) a body it is what is (IN) a body.

gene

georg
    Participant

Quote (thethinker @ Sep. 09 2009,02:42)
    Irene said:

If the Holy Spirit was a person, why did Paul never thank him? Rom. 1:8, 1 Cor. 1:4, Phil. 1:3, Col. 1:3, 1 Thes. 1:2; is not the Holy Spirit credited with teaching us all things? would he not deserve some thanks too?

Irene,
    Your question is easy to answer. Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would not speak of Himself but would “glorify Me.” It is not the Spirit's work to bring glory to Himself. This is why Paul never thanked Him. The one who has the Spirit in Him will thank the Father and the Son.

Irene said:

…is not the Holy Spirit credited with teaching us all things? would he not deserve some thanks too?

Of course the Spirit deserves some thanks. But He doesn't seek it. Don't you get it? You say that the Spirit teaches us. Please tell me if you ever had a teacher in school that wasn't a person. You admit to the Spirit's personality by saying that He teaches.

thinker

Look again and see who signedf that last post. It was eorg, ifen though I agre with HIm, I wish that you would addrexx Him.
    Irene

NickHassan
    Participant

G,
    Another fine theory.
    But it does not add up.

..Body, soul and spirit..[1Thess 5]

Viewing 20 posts - 2,821 through 2,840 (of 6,305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account