Spirit of Christ

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 396 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,
    You say
    “If I remember correctly I answered this question elsewhere by pointing to a passage in Acts where Paul teaches some of the people of Athens and visitors to that city that we all live in God and have our being in Him. Since we can do that it follows he has a body just like a fish bowl does.”

Acts 17
    24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
    25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
    26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
    27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
    28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
    29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.”

So you think this proves God has a body and we are already one with Him?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,
    So the best we can hope for being like the Lamb is a cut and torn flesh and bones body?

Flesh cannot inherit the kingdom[1Cor15]

Flesh is of earth and there is no heavenly flesh.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,
    You say
    “The word “aura” is a synonym of “radiance” and like spirit it means an invisible breath.”

Gen1
    2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit [7307]of God moved upon the face of the waters.
    Number 7307
    Transliteration:
    ruwach {roo'-akh}
    Word Origin:
    from 7306
    TWOT:
    2131a
    Part of Speech:
    noun feminine
    Usage in the KJV:
    Spirit or spirit 232, wind 92, breath 27, side 6, mind 5, blast 4, vain 2, air 1, anger 1, cool 1, courage 1, misc 6

Total: 378
    Definition:
    wind, breath, mind, spirit
    breath
    wind
    of heaven
    quarter (of wind), side
    breath of air
    air, gas
    vain, empty thing
    spirit (as that which breathes quickly in animation or agitation)
    spirit, animation, vivacity, vigour
    courage
    temper, anger
    impatience, patience
    spirit, disposition (as troubled, bitter, discontented)
    disposition (of various kinds), unaccountable or uncontrollable impulse
    prophetic spirit
    spirit (of the living, breathing being in man and animals)
    as gift, preserved by God, God's spirit, departing at death, disembodied being
    spirit (as seat of emotion)
    desire
    sorrow, trouble
    spirit
    as seat or organ of mental acts
    rarely of the will
    as seat especially of moral character
    Spirit of God, the third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with the Father and the Son
    as inspiring ecstatic state of prophecy
    as impelling prophet to utter instruction or warning
    imparting warlike energy and executive and administrative power
    as endowing men with various gifts
    as energy of life
    as manifest in the Shekinah glory
    never referred to as a depersonalised force

RUWACH can mean breath but never means the BREATH OF GOD

Job 33:4
    The Spirit [7307]of God has made me; the breath [5397]of the Almighty gives me life.

Number 5397
    Transliteration:
    n@shamah {nesh-aw-maw'}
    Word Origin:
    from 5395
    TWOT:
    1433a
    Part of Speech:
    noun feminine
    Usage in the KJV:
    breath 17, blast 3, spirit 2, inspiration 1, souls 1

Total: 24
    Definition:
    breath, spirit
    breath (of God)
    breath (of man)
    every breathing thing
    spirit (of man)

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,
    You say
    “Look up the meaning of “aura” and you will find it fits certain scriptures.”

Is this not the reverse of the approach we should take to SACRED SCRIPTURE?

SEEKING
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 20 2009,12:56)
    Hi KW,
    You say
    “The word “aura” is a synonym of “radiance” and like spirit it means an invisible breath.”

1Co 2:11 ESV For who knows a person's thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.
    1Co 2:12 Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God.

G4151
    πνεῦμα
    pneuma
    Thayer Definition:
    1) the third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with the Father and the Son
    1a) sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his personality and character (the \\Holy\\ Spirit)
    1b) sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his work and power (the Spirit of \\Truth\\)
    1c) never referred to as a depersonalised force
    2) the spirit, i.e. the vital principal by which the body is animated
    2a) the rational spirit, the power by which the human being feels, thinks, decides
    2b) the soul
    3) a spirit, i.e. a simple essence, devoid of all or at least all grosser matter, and possessed of the power of knowing, desiring, deciding, and acting
    3a) a life giving spirit
    3b) a human soul that has left the body
    3c) a spirit higher than man but lower than God, i.e. an angel
    3c1) used of demons, or evil spirits, who were conceived as inhabiting the bodies of men
    3c2) the spiritual nature of Christ, higher than the highest angels and equal to God, the divine nature of Christ
    4) the disposition or influence which fills and governs the soul of any one
    4a) the efficient source of any power, affection, emotion, desire, etc.
    5) a movement of air (a gentle blast)
    5a) of the wind, hence the wind itself
    5b) breath of nostrils or mouth
    Part of Speech: noun neuter
    A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G4154
    Citing in TDNT: 6:332, 876

G4151
    πνεῦμα
    pneuma
    pnyoo'-mah
    From G4154; a current of air, that is, breath (blast) or a breeze; by analogy or figuratively a spirit, that is, (human) the rational soul, (by implication) vital principle, mental disposition, etc., or (superhuman) an angel, daemon, or (divine) God, Christ’s spirit, the Holy spirit: – ghost, life, spirit (-ual, -ually), mind. Compare G5590.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi S,
    Exactly,
    Insight not aura.

SEEKING
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 20 2009,14:14)
    Hi S,
    Exactly,
    Insight not aura.

Nick,

Right on!

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi S,
    I take your point that in the NT,
    PNEUMA can mean breath or spirit.

They are separate in the OT.
    Thanks.

kerwin
    Participant

Nick Hassan wrote:

So can you please show us which of your definitions fit these verses.

I want to cover several things here.  One is I assume you know that words are used to express ideas and that the same word can be used to expressed different ideas.  This is what I am stating about the word “spirit” as it is used in scripture.  If you look up “spirit” in the dictionary then you will find it has more than one meaning three of which I have found in scripture so far.  I am but a student and still learning so there may well be more and even the ones I have found I may misunderstand or not fully understand.

These are three of many possible definition as put forth by The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

I believe this is the soul:

* The vital principle or animating force within living beings.

This is what I called the spirit body:

* A supernatural being, as: An angel or a demon.

This is what I wrongly call an aura of righteousness:

* The essential nature of a person or group.

Before I get to my next point I want to mention that I assume you know that there are words in the English language that express the same ideas.  I had concluded that “aura” was a synonym of “spirit” as far as expressing the idea about the essential nature of God in that God is truly righteous.  I have rethought the position as “aura” is what God’s essential nature gives off and is not the essential nature itself.  I cannot think of a single word that expresses the idea of “essential nature”

I am not seeing where the disagreement is here since the translators used the English language which has multiple meanings for the word “spirit”.  I am just saying that we should be careful to use the correct meaning in each passage of scripture.  A good share of the time that meaning is self evident but sometimes more than one meaning may fit the context.

Nick Hassan wrote:

Ecclesiastes 8:8

Could be speaking of the wind and not about the spirit as some translations state “No man has power over the wind to contain it”.  If it is spirit then “soul” is the best fit though “essential nature” may also work.

Nick Hassan wrote:

Job 33:4

This one may be a definition I am not thinking of but God’s soul or God’s body could fit the context especially as it also mentions God‘s “breath” giving life.

Nick Hassan wrote:

James 2:26

and

Nick Hassan wrote:

Proverbs 20:27

They are both speaking of the soul.

Nick Hassan wrote:

1 Peter 1:11

This would be “essential nature”.

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 20 2009,13:35)
    Hi 94,
    When we read a verse like this we should not have to decide which of two it means should we?

1 Corinthians 6:17
    But the one who joins himself to the Lord is one spirit with Him.

Hi Nick:

If we are obeying his Word, then we are one spirit with him.

Participant

Hi:

Jesus said: “He who has seen me has seen the Father”. We have seen the Father through the works of obedience to His Word. And so, the Word was God. And Jesus stated the Words that taught were spirit and they were life.

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 20 2009,17:04)
    Hi 94,
    This is what you defined spirit as in another thread
    “Therefore, the spirit of a person is that which he puts into practice in his life. “

So applying that to God and Jesus and men and animals??
    It will not work.
    1Cor2

Hi Nick:

Animals do not have the spirit of Christ and that is what we were discussing.

Why won't my definition of spirit work with God. He said “be ye Holy for I am Holy”. How do we know that He is Holy if not through the life that he lives?

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Feb. 21 2009,09:19)

Hi 94,
    When we read a verse like this we should not have to decide which of two it means should we?

Hi Nick:

Hi 94,
    How does this fit?
    Galatians 4:19
    My children, with whom I am again in labor until Christ is formed in you–

You still have not told us if there is 0ne Spirit or TWO

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 21 2009,10:14)

Quote (942767 @ Feb. 21 2009,09:19)

Hi 94,

Hi Nick:

Hi 94,
    How does this fit?
    Galatians 4:19
    My children, with whom I am again in labor until Christ is formed in you–

You still have not told us if there is 0ne Spirit or TWO

Hi Nick:

Yes, Nick I have told you that Christ is the spirit of the Son, and the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of the Father dwelling within us as our Father and teaching us His Word through the commandments that have come to us through His Only Begotten Son and Christ.

Here is the Word of God that I have given you before:

2Jo 1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

Also,

Jhn 14:17 [Even] the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

And,

1Cr 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
    1Cr 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Jhn 6:31 Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.
    Jhn 6:32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven
    Jhn 6:33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.
    Jhn 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are life.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi 94,
    So two Spirits?

kerwin
    Participant

I posted my response to Nick Hassan about whether imperishable flesh can inherit the kingdom of heaven or not in the thread titled Hello and The Trinity Doctrine as it is part of a discussion we are having there.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,
    God is Spirit.
    Angels are spirit.
    We shall be like angels.

Where does this flesh that can inherit the kingdom come from?

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 21 2009,13:53)
    Hi KW,
    God is Spirit.
    Angels are spirit.
    We shall be like angels.

Where does this flesh that can inherit the kingdom come from?

Are Angels and Demons spirit or are we misunderstanding some scriptures. There is definite evidence that at least some angels have flesh and blood bodies just like Jesus did after his resurrection but that does not mean they all do. There is also evidence that Angels can shape shift.

gollamudi
    Participant

Hi bro Kerwin,
    Welcome to Heaven Net. But Our Lord has only flesh and bones not flesh and blood after his resurrection.

Peace to you
    Adam

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,
    Deoms are also known as evil or unclean spirits.
    Mk 16
    9Now after He had risen early on the first day of the week, He first appeared to Mary Magdalene, from whom He had cast out seven demons.

Lk8
    2and also some women who had been healed of evil spirits and sicknesses: Mary who was called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out,

Angels ARE spirits

Hebrews 1:7
    And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
    They can assume other visible forms.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 396 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account