John 18:5-6

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 256 total)
  • Author
    Proclaimer
    Participant

Because Yahweh calls himself “I am”  in Exodus 3:13-14, did Jesus claim to be Yahweh when he said “I am” in John 18:5-6?

5 “Jesus of Nazareth,” they replied. “I am he,” Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.)
    6 When Jesus said, “I am he,” they drew back and fell to the ground.

Exodus 3:13-14 says the following:
    13 Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me,What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”
    14 God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: `I AM has sent me to you.'”

But what does Yahweh say in Psalm 2:7
    “I will declare the decree: Yahweh hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

and in Acts 13:33
    33 he has fulfilled for us, their children, by raising up Jesus. As it is written in the second Psalm:
    ” ‘You are my Son; today I have become your Father.

Also look at Hebrews 1:5 & Hebrews 5:5

So Yahweh is the Father of Jesus. Jesus is the Son of Yahweh. Jesus is not Yahweh and therefore he is not God. Rather Jesus is the son of Yahweh, otherwise known as the Son of God.

Back in John 18 we can see that the Jews came to arrest Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane. They first took him to Annas (vs.13). Then they took him to Caiaphas (vs.24) and eventually to Pilate (vss.28,29). A parallel account is found in Matthew 26:57-68. Notice, in particular, verse 59. The same men that had fallen backward to the ground were in attendance when the council sought false witnesses against Jesus to put him to death. Verse 60 says they couldn’t find any. Eventually two came forward. Interestingly, they didn’t bear false witness about what Jesus said in Jn.8:58, but about his reference to destroying the temple and building it again in three days, then Jesus was condemned for claiming to be the Son of God in Matthew 26:63-65.

The point about Matthew 26 is, why would false witnesses be sought if they had true witnesses in attendance? The arresting officers heard Jesus say “Ego eimi.” They could have stoned him right there in the garden for blasphemy, but they didn’t. They could have reported the supposed blasphemy to the council, but they didn’t. Why not? Because it wasn’t blasphemy, nor was it a stoneable offense. He was merely identifying himself as Jesus of Nazareth.

It is believed by some that the account recorded in John 8:48-59 further supports the position that Jesus is the “I AM.” Why else would the Jews try to stone him (v59)? He obviously blasphemed in the eyes of the Jews.

“I am” is a translation from Greek words “ego eimi”. Is the mere utterance of “ego eimi” a blasphemy? Does the use of “ego eimi” automatically identify the speaker as Yahweh, the I AM? In Luke 1:19, the angel Gabriel said, “Ego eimi Gabriel.” In John 9:9, the blind man whose sight was restored by Jesus said, “Ego eimi.” In Acts 10:21, Peter said, “Behold, ego eimi (I am) he whom ye seek.” Obviously, the mere use of “ego eimi” does not equate one to the “I Am” of Exodus 3:14.

Jesus used the phrase “ego eimi” at least twenty times and yet, in only one instance did the Jews seek to stone him (John 8:58). Jesus said, “I am the bread of life” to a large crowd, in John.6:35-48, yet no one opposed him. In verse 41, the Jews murmured because he said, “I am (ego eimi) the bread which came down from heaven.” But in verse 42, the Jews questioned only the phrase, “I came down from heaven” and ignored “ego eimi.” The same is true of verses 51 & 52

In John 8:12, 18, 24, & 28, Jesus used “ego eimi” with Pharisees present (vs.13) and yet, no stoning. He, again, used it four times in John 10:7, 9, 11, & 14 with no stoning. Jesus said to his disciples, “that ye may believe that I am (ego eimi)” in John 13:19 without them batting an eye.

This brings us back to Jn.8:58. Why did the Jews seek to stone him on that occasion? The context of Jn.8 shows that Jesus;

• accused the Jews of “judging after the flesh” (vs.15).
    • said they would die in their sins (vss.21,24).
    • implied they were in bondage (vss.32,33).
    • said they were servants of sin (vs.34).
    • said they were out to kill him (vss. 37,40).
    • implied they were spiritually deaf (vs.43,47).
    • said their father was the devil (vs.44).
    • said they were not of Elohim (vs.47).
    • accused them of dishonoring him (vs.49).
    • accused them of not knowing Yahweh (vs.55).
    • accused them of lying (vs.55).

Aside from that, the Jews misunderstood Jesus words leading them to believe;

• that he accused them of being born of fornication (vs.41).
    • Jesus had a devil (vs.52).
    • that he was exalting himself above Abraham (vs.53).
    • that he saw Abraham (vs.56).

Jesus words in verse 58 were the culmination of an encounter that was so offensive to the Jews, that they couldn’t restrain themselves. They simply couldn’t take it anymore so they sought to stone him, not because of two simple words, “ego eimi,” but because he was making himself out to be greater than their beloved father Abraham.

We need to also remember that “I AM” in the Old Testament is a different set of words from different languages to the New Testament instances. It would be like saying that “I am” in English is equating one with God for it is the word used by God in Hebrew. That is simply not true. Many say “I am” in the New Testament just as they say those words today without meaning they are God.

If you were watching Mickey Mouse on the Disney channel and Goofy said to Mickey, “are you Mickey Mouse”, am I to assume then that Mickey Mouse is claiming to be God if he answers, “I am”? Of course not. He is simply identifying himself as Mickey Mouse.

Back to the Old Testament we see that it was YHWH that said “I am that I am”. He was saying that he was the ever exisiting one. So his name was actually YHWH. To equate the common words “I am” as a claim to be YHWH is indeed a big stretch of the imagination.

Here is an example of the words “I am” in everday language/

Q: Are you Peter?
    A: I am.

Conclusion: If I am Peter then am I blaspheming when I say I am. I am not saying I am YHWH. I am saying that I am Peter. I am simply answering the question asked of me. This behaviour is very normal and common as you can see. In fact this paragraph alone contains 7 instances of the term ‘I am’. Yet who in their right mind would think that I was claiming to be God?
    To say that Jesus claimed to be God because he said “I am” can only be at most, an unsupported and extemely weak opinion. There are no scriptures in the bible that uses this occurrence as a teaching to promote a Trinity Or to prove that Yashua is Yahweh. To hinge the Trinity Doctrine on an assumption is indeed a weak argument to make and wouldn’t get very far in a court of law. To say that we are condemned if we do not believe in a certain vague interpretation is totally unacceptable to all who earnestly seek truth. Remember that we are judged by the measures we judge others, so we shouldn’t be so unreasonable.

If you read the whole Bible without bias, would you come to the conclusion that Jn.8:58 is saying that Jesus is God and part of a Trinity. I really do not think so, therefore it is unfair to condemn someone who doesn’t hold to your opinion if you indeed believe in the Trinity Doctrine and I have to note that there are hundreds of scriptures that show us clearly that the Father is God and Jesus is the Son of God. These verses are clear teachings. The Trinity Doctrine is based on weak assumptions which come from the mind of Man. I prefer to believe the scriptures, rather than assumptions and imaginations of men.

← Go back to ‘Supporting the Trinity Doctrine‘.

Anastas
    Participant

Amen

kerwin
    Participant

T8,

That reasoning of those that teach Jesus is God is flawed as is their other arguments they use.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,

The Word was speaking through Jesus.

The Word was God

DavidL
    Participant

t8

“Jesus told them, Truly, I tell all of you emphatically, before there was an Abraham, I AM!”

your explanation…

Here is an example of the words “I am” in everyday language/

Q: Are you Peter?
    A: I am.

Do people actually believe this..!?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi davidl,

The Word was in the beginning with God

and was God.

Discern when the Word speaks using the human vessel.

Ed J
    Participant

“Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world,
    that they which see not might see; and that they
    which see might be made blind.” (John 9:39)

Proclaimer
    Participant

DavidL. yes people believe that today it is common to say “I am”. Additionally it was common back in Jesus day too. It is not even a belief, it is a fact.

I am t8.

I think therefore I am.

That doesn’t mean, I think therefore I am God.

It means, I think therefore I exist.

Do you exist. Have you ever said ‘I am’ without claiming to be God. Perhaps once a day?

DavidL
    Participant

God revealed Himself through Moses as the great ‘I AM’ – to the Jews the name of God is so sacred that to this very day they cannot even write the word God, but must put G-d..

When Jesus stood before the Scribes and dissectors of religious doctrine, and declared, “Truly, I tell all of you emphatically, before there was an Abraham, I AM!” they blew a fuse… not because of some grammatical error or verbal misunderstanding… the communication was crystal clear – Jesus Christ existed as God before Abraham was born.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi davidl,

The Word did.

The Word was with God and was God.

But Jesus was conceived of Mary.

Ed J
    Participant

Hi DavidL,

There is NO ‘great i am’ and there is no ‘al-Lah god’ – both are false gods of religion! (ref. Ex.20:3 & Jer.10:11)

Wilt thou yet say before him that slayeth thee, i am God? but thou shalt be a man, and no God,
    in the hand of him that slayeth thee. Thou shalt die the deaths of the uncircumcised by
    the hand of strangers: for I have spoken it, saith the Lord GOD.” (Ezek 28:9-10)

For many shall come in my name, saying, i am; and shall deceive many.” (Mark 13:6)

Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    ”Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.” – JEHOVAH GOD

DavidL
    Participant

NickHassan

Jesus Himself existed as God before Abraham was born… “Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.” (v 56)

DavidL
    Participant

EdJ

“And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and He said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.” – Exodus 3:14

“I AM the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” – Rev. 1:8

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi davidl,

Trying to use reason to grasp spiritual things.

Impossible so men added NEW concepts just like trinity.

Ed J
    Participant

Ed J

“And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and He said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.” – Exodus 3:14

“I AM the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” – Rev. 1:8

Hi David L,

You’re trying to make something out of nothing. Moses asked God
    what his name is, and he says JEHOVAH in the following verse.

“And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel,
    JEHOVAH, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God
    of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.” (Ex 3:15)

‘i am’ is not a name – wake-up!

Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    ”Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.” – JEHOVAH GOD

DavidL
    Participant

Wrong verse EdJ

Then Moses said to God, “Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I will say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you.’ Now they may say to me, ‘What is His name?’ What shall I say to them?” God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM”; and He said, “Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.'” God, furthermore, said to Moses, “Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is My name forever, and this is My memorial-name to all generations…”

kerwin
    Participant

To whomever it may concern,

Have you read where God tells Moses his name is Jehovah and that he was not known to Abraham or Isaac by that name? Since he spoke to Moses from the fiery bush it is clear was not then telling Moses that his name was Jehovah. As far as I can tell Abraham knew him by they name El, which is translated to the word God. In short he called him by the same we call him today; though in a different language.

It is in Genesis 6:1-4 with the key verse being 3.

DavidL
    Participant

So t8, I’m trying to follow your explanation here of Jesus saying, “Before Abraham was born, I AM” – you simply say it was very common to say ‘I am’ back in those days..

yes people believe that today it is common to say “I am”. Additionally it was common back in Jesus day too..

..but to be honest, it’s very hard to fit your explanation into the context of this verse..in fact the only way I can imagine you could do this was if you were stoned…

So just as a side note – Do you believe it’s ok for Christians to use cannabis..? (seriously – some Christians do)..

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi davidl,

Have you not discerned the voice of the SPIRIT OF THE SON [gal4.6] in the words of Jesus?

The Word was with God.

Proclaimer
    Participant

John 18:5-6?
    5 “Jesus of Nazareth,” they replied. “I am he,” Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.)
    6 When Jesus said, “I am he,” they drew back and fell to the ground.

If another member asked me if I was t8, I could reply “I am”.

It is a common saying today as it was back then.

“I am” is a translation from Greek words “ego eimi”. Is it blasphemy to say “ego eimi”? Does it mean you are claiming to be Yahweh if you say it?

• Luke 1:19 the angel Gabriel said, “Ego eimi Gabriel.”
    • In John 9:9, the blind man whose sight was restored by Jesus said, “Ego eimi.”
    • In Acts 10:21, Peter said, “Behold, ego eimi (I am) he whom ye seek.”

Obviously, the mere use of “ego eimi” does not equate one to the “I Am” of Exodus 3:14.

Trinitarians hard at work have scoured the scriptures and pulled up this one along with others and twisted to their own means. A lot of itching ears and only listening to interpretations is common place these days. Many men only listen to interpretations that can be swayed toward their predefined beliefs and doctrines and are blind and deaf to all scripture that teaches the truth of the matter.

Indoctrination can be very dangerous DavidL. It can make even intelligent men to become fools. It can make anyone believe the most ridiculous of things. There are many intelligent Atheists for example just as there are Atheists of mean intelligence. But God seeks wisdom and blessed are the wise. Self-confessed experts who have deceived men for millennia are not of God.

Do not be deceived by those who devise doctrines that are not spoken of in scripture. If you want to listen to God, then listen to his scripture. If we do not listen to scripture, then what is the chance that we listen to God?.

Ephesians 1:17
    I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 256 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account