Worship God the Father only?

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 2,142 total)
  • Author
    Woutlaw
    Participant

Quote (malcolm ferris @ Mar. 29 2006,00:51)
    Amen Woutlaw
    Phil 2 expresses it well where it says though He were a Son yet He learned obedience.
    God does not learn anything, He is the source of all knowledge.

Right on brother Ferris,

Stay strong

kenrch
    Participant

Amen Woutlaw
    Phil 2 expresses it well where it says though He were a Son yet He learned obedience.

Amen malcolm. How could he be God and yet have to learn.
    I like that.
    Heb 5:8 though he was a Son, yet learned obedience by the things which he suffered;

Is 1:18
    Participant

PHILIPPIANS 2:5-7
    5Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, 6who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8Being found in appearance as a man, He [/b]humbled Himself[/b] by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

• Existed in the form (Gr: morph) of God
  • Emptied himself
  • Took on the form of a bondservant
  • Humbled Himself
  • Became obedient

What did He empty Himself of? Maybe it was the independent usage of the attributes he had when he existed in the morphe of God. Possible?

malcolm ferris
Participant

Existed in a form of God, also called the image of God (Heb 1:3)

If I have an image of something then it is not the original, it is an image of it.
If I say I am in the form of, lets say Woutlaw (just for example) then I have attributes that make me appear to be like Woutlaw. We are made in the form of God.
Yet I do not think that we are God.

david
Participant

Amen Woutlaw

Amen malcolm. How could he be God and yet have to learn.

Or even better, how could he be God, and have to be “obedient.”

Adam Pastor
Participant

Amen brothers

Is 1:18
Participant

Existed in a form of God, also called the image of God (Heb 1:3)

If I have an image of something then it is not the original, it is an image of it.

Indeed this is the True understanding of God, that He which is eternal and invisible, is made known and therefore only fully knowable through His Son Jesus Christ.

How could Yahshua be the image of an invisible God? Obviously something other than physical representation is being conveyed here…..

Also, it could be said that someone is the image of his/her twin sibling. He/she would not be a copy of him.

NickHassan
Participant

Hi Is 1.18,
What does invisible mean? Inherently invisible, or only invisible to the useless eyes of natural men?Does image mean copy or reflection? A sibling can be as an image but only identical twins are an image of each other.
What is plain is that thay are not the same being but there are two beings for one to be an image of the other.

Scripture Seeker
Participant

Friends

Where does Jesus fit into the commandments?

Mat 22:37  Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the LORD THY GOD with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38  This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40  On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Do we love Jesus with all our heart soul and mind the great commandment or do we love him as our neighbor being ourselves?

Luk 7:38  And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to WASH HIS FEET WITH TEARS, and did WIPE THEM WITH THE HAIRS OF HER HEAD, and KISSED HIS FEET, and anointed them with the ointment.

Joh 1:27  He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, WHOSE SHOE'S LATCHET I AM NOT WORTHY TO UNLOOSE.  [again in acts Act 13:25]

Rev 1:14  His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
Rev 1:15  And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.
Rev 1:16  And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
Rev 1:17  And when I saw him, I FELL AT HIS FEET AS DEAD. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:
Rev 1:18  I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Everyone knows where I stand on this issue but I am interested if those who don’t believe in the trinity believe we should Love Jesus with the same love as he commanded us to love God. Also how important is the “great commandment”?
What does Jesus teach after giving the commandments?

God Bless

malcolm ferris
Participant

There are instances where Jesus refused to recieve worship, telling them rather to worship God.
When they called him good master he said why do you call me good there is none good but God.
Then there are times where he allowed worship.
So you could argue in circles on that.
The majority of the greetings in the new testament letters of the apostles have the form of Father and Son as one thought.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2 John 9 tells us the he that abides in the doctrine (teaching) of Christ has both the Father and the Son.

NickHassan
Participant

Quote (Scripture Seeker @ Mar. 31 2006,11:25)
Friends

Where does Jesus fit into the commandments?

Mat 22:37  Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the LORD THY GOD with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38  This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40  On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Do we love Jesus with all our heart soul and mind the great commandment or do we love him as our neighbor being ourselves?

Luk 7:38  And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to WASH HIS FEET WITH TEARS, and did WIPE THEM WITH THE HAIRS OF HER HEAD, and KISSED HIS FEET, and anointed them with the ointment.

Joh 1:27  He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, WHOSE SHOE'S LATCHET I AM NOT WORTHY TO UNLOOSE.  [again in acts Act 13:25]

Rev 1:14  His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
Rev 1:15  And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.
Rev 1:16  And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
Rev 1:17  And when I saw him, I FELL AT HIS FEET AS DEAD. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:
Rev 1:18  I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Everyone knows where I stand on this issue but I am interested if those who don’t believe in the trinity believe we should Love Jesus with the same love as he commanded us to love God. Also how important is the “great commandment”?
What does Jesus teach after giving the commandments?

God Bless

Hi SS,
Is this worship or love and respect to a greater Lord?

NickHassan
Participant

Quote (malcolm ferris @ Mar. 31 2006,11:57)
There are instances where Jesus refused to recieve worship, telling them rather to worship God.
When they called him good master he said why do you call me good there is none good but God.
Then there are times where he allowed worship.
So you could argue in circles on that.
The majority of the greetings in the new testament letters of the apostles have the form of Father and Son as one thought.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2 John 9 tells us the he that abides in the doctrine (teaching) of Christ has both the Father and the Son.

Hi Malcolm,
He was a glorious vessel but the fullness of the Deity, his Father as Spirit, dwelled in Him. Thomas recognised this fact.

malcolm ferris
Participant

Yep
Just like I have been saying all along.
God was IN Christ reconciling the world to Himself. God made all things by Him.
And we will live eternally in the family of God in fellowship with our Father.
And God will be with man, nothing changes in the way God expresses Himself to us
as far as I can see it is all IN and THROUGH CHrist, and in this way God is all and in
all. In us and with us.

Scripture Seeker
Participant

Hi,

Still interested in what people believe here.

Does Jesus fit into the first or Second commandment of love?

No offense but everyone knows where I stand on this subject and since it is such an important question surely we all should know where we stand here!

Mat 5:37  But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

I see where you are comming from Malcolm, but Jesus is all in all also,
Col 3:11  Where there is neither Gentile nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian nor Scythian, bond nor free. BUT CHRIST IS ALL AND IN ALL.

YES the Father is in Him, but HE is also in the Father.

Joh 14:10  Do you not believe that I AM IN THE FATHER and the Father in me? The words that I speak to you, I speak not of myself. But the Father who abideth in me, he doth the works.
Joh 14:11  Believe you not that I AM IN THE FATHER and the Father in me?

So do we love him as we love the Father?

Joh 10:30  I and the Father are one.

Joh 5:23  That all men may honour the Son, as they honour the Father. He who honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father who hath sent him.

God Bless

NickHassan
Participant

Hi SS,
Whatever you say about the unity between the Father and the Son also applies to the new relationship between us and the Father too in Christ. So whatever you say about their relationship, and it takes two to have a relationship, you must also be prepared to say about God and the apostles and disciples, and us.
Jn 17 21
” that they may all be one, even as you Father are in me and I am in you, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent me, and loved them, even as you loved me”

Jn 14.23
” ..If anyone loves me , he will keep my word; and My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our abode with him”

We can follow Him because his relationship to God is the same as ours.

Jn 20.17
“..I ascend to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God”

So if this was best shown in the earliest times in what way were the apostles shown to be in unity with God? Did they share the same being? Were they worshiped as God? Did they totally lose all individuality? Or was it with them as it was with Christ-God in them reconciling the word to Himself?

“God is at work in you to will and to do” Phil 2.13

malcolm ferris
Participant

Amen nick
It takes two to achieve a oneness.
One already has oneness and therefore nothing to achieve.
(Does that make sense?)
Adam had oneness when he was Adam
When Eve came along now he was two, and could be made one.
He had unity with his bride.
You cannot have unity or oneness with yourself
You are one.
So this paradoxical truth holds true to the Father and the Son and to all of us.

NickHassan
Participant

amen

david
Participant

MARK 15:19 (New King James Version)
“Then they struck Him on the head with a reed and spat on Him; and bowing the knee, they WORSHIPED Him.”

Were they worshipping him? Or doe the word translated “worship” have a much broader meaning?

NickHassan
Participant

Hi david,
Mocking does not constitute any form of worship surely?

david
Participant

Exactly.
Yet the word “worship” occurs in some Bibles in this place. Clearly what they were doing was not worshipping him and the original word should not be translated as such in this place, and other places.
“Worship” is one meaning of those words, but we cannot simply always translate that word as “worship” without understanding the meaning of those words, and that there is more than one meaning.

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 2,142 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account