The Holy Spirit, a separate person, essence of God, or force?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,821 through 1,840 (of 6,305 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    The Spirit gives almost irrepressible evidence of living in a being, yet Christ is not said to have been filled with the Spirit till Lk 4, and gave no evidence of supernatural abilities till that time.

Lk 3
    ” 21Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened,

22And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased. “

acts 10
    “36The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)

37That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;

38How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him. “

The neighbours did not believe what had happened to him.

Matthew 13:55
    Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?
    Mark 6:3
    Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him

Is 53 shows Christ as a normal man but he was transformed at the age of 30 by the anointing.
    1Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?

2For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

3He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

If he was born different to us then the powers of God to transform a man would not have given glory to God. We follow him.

Paul understood that those asked would KNOW they had the Spirit.

Acts 19
    ” 1And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,

2He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. “

Not3in1
    Participant

Hmmmmm……..

Yes, makes sense.

Um, but my theory has always been that Jesus is a divine man (born of incoruptable seed contribution and Mary); your theory is that the monogenes Son preexisted and then took on flesh through Mary.

How do both of these beliefs jive with “If he was born different to us then the powers of God to transform a man would not have given glory to God.”?

Your Jesus was born differently because he existed prior and then took on flesh through a true conception.
    My Jesus was also born differently because he is a divine man; a combination of God and Mary.

It would seem that both the above Jesus' would have at least *some* holy spirit in him, huh?

NickHassan
    Participant

H i not3,
    No guesswork allowed. Scripture says he was a MAN.
    Scripture does not speak of several kinds of men .

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ July 04 2007,16:41)
    H i not3,
    No guesswork allowed. Scripture says he was a MAN.
    Scripture does not speak of several kinds of men .

Peter didn't say, “…..a divine man, Jesus of Nazareth….”, he said, “….the man, Jesus of Nazareth….”.

Oh, dear…….

My foundation is a bit shaken all of a sudden.

Not3in1
    Participant

Still…….GOD'S SON (if he be a true son) would have to be a bit more than a man – I mean, come on!

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    Our own empty words do not inspire.
    Give me scripture.

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ July 04 2007,17:28)
    Hi not3,
    Give me scripture.

Luke 1:26 – 35

The holy one will be called the Son of God.

2:6,7
    While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son.

Not3in1
    Participant

And….

Col 1:15
    …..he is the image of God, the firstborn over all creation.

Jesus was Mary's firstborn and God's firstBORN.

Also…..

In addition to calling Jesus a “man,” Peter called Jesus the Son of the Living God.

OK, foundation not shaking anymore….for a minute I thought we were on to something? :)

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ July 04 2007,17:35)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ July 04 2007,17:28)
    Hi not3,
    Give me scripture.

Luke 1:26 – 35

The holy one will be called the Son of God.

2:6,7
    While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son.

Hi not 3,
    He was holy, the Holy one of God,
    by the Spirit of Holiness.
    Romans 1:4
    And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:
    We follow
    Romans 6:22
    But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
    2 Corinthians 7:1
    Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
    Acts 3:12
    And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this? or why look ye so earnestly on us, as though by our own power or holiness we had made this man to walk?

TimothyVI
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ July 03 2007,17:37)
    Does your finger talk to you?

???  :D  :D  :D

This is off the topic, but yesterday an old guy almost ran
    me off the road trying to cut in to a line of traffic in front of me.
    He was the nicest man. Just as he went by, I am pretty sure that his middle finger was talking to me. :D

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi W,
    You ask
    “Does your finger talk to you?”

The analogy of the finger of God is from the wisdom of God.
    Would you mock God?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Some teach that the Spirit is a PERSON.
    Does this PERSON have a spirit too?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    We see much theory written here of the nature of the Spirit.
    One thing that is plain from the NT is that we should all know the Spirit.
    The downpayment on our salvation should not be a matter of conjecture.
    We should KNOW

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Does anyone think the aim of God is for Him to be analysed scientifically
    or rather known personally?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi cw,
    The spirit is not the mind.
    The Spirit searches and reveals God to us.
    The mind of Christ is given to those born of the Spirit by their feeding on the bread from heaven

1Cor2
    9But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

15But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

16For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

Rom12
    1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Eph3

14For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,

15Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

16That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;

17That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

18May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

19And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Eph4
    17This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,

18Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:

19Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

20But ye have not so learned Christ;

21If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

22That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

23And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

24And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Some are still unsure about the Spirit of Christ.
    God filled His Son with His Spirit.
    The Father gave of His Spirit into Christ who gives of that Spirit of Christ to us in his body.

jhenTux
    Participant

This is accdg to catholic friends why they consider the Holy Spirit as God:

Ignatius of Antioch

“[T]o the Church at Ephesus in Asia . . . chosen through true suffering by the will of the Father in Jesus Christ our God” (Letter to the Ephesians 1 [A.D. 110]).

“For our God, Jesus Christ, was conceived by Mary in accord with God’s plan: of the seed of David, it is true, but also of the Holy Spirit” (ibid., 18:2).

Justin Martyr

“We will prove that we worship him reasonably; for we have learned that he is the Son of the true God himself, that he holds a second place, and the Spirit of prophecy a third. For this they accuse us of madness, saying that we attribute to a crucified man a place second to the unchangeable and eternal God, the Creator of all things; but they are ignorant of the mystery which lies therein” (First Apology 13:5–6 [A.D. 151]).

Theophilus of Antioch

“It is the attribute of God, of the most high and almighty and of the living God, not only to be everywhere, but also to see and hear all; for he can in no way be contained in a place. . . . The three days before the luminaries were created are types of the Trinity: God, his Word, and his Wisdom” (To Autolycus 2:15 [A.D. 181]).

Irenaeus

“For the Church, although dispersed throughout the whole world even to the ends of the earth, has received from the apostles and from their disciples the faith in one God, the Father Almighty . . . and in one Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who became flesh for our salvation; and in the Holy Spirit” (Against Heresies 11 [A.D. 189]).

Oxy
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 14 2007,13:03)
    Hi,
    Some are still unsure about the Spirit of Christ.
    God filled His Son with His Spirit.
    The Father gave of His Spirit into Christ who gives of that Spirit of Christ to us in his body.

According to the Scriptures it happened this way Nick.

Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things and bring all things to your remembrance, whatever I have said to you.

IM4Truth
    Participant

Oxy So there is ONe Person the Father, second Person the Son and third Person the Spirit. 3in1 and all are equal in power. That is what the trinity is. Can you prove that/ And were is the trinity listed? I said it before you can't prove the Mystery of the trinity, but I can prove to you by the words of Jesus that the trinity is wrong. He said that the Father isd greaer then He is. My favorite scripture
    Ephesians 4:4-6 THERE IS ONE BODY AND ONE SPIRIT, JUST AS YOU WERE CALLED IN ONE HOPEOF YOUR CALLING. ONE LORD(jESUS) ONE FAITH, ONE BAPTISM.
    O N E G O D A N D F A T H E R O F A L L W H O I S A B O V E A L L, A N D T H R O U G H U S A L L, A N D I N U S A L L.
    When are you going to see this that the Father is greater then the Son and even if the Spirit would be a person the Father is still greater then all and will always be so. He always exsisted.

Peace and Love Mrs. :D :D :D

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (IM4Truth @ Dec. 17 2007,20:19)
    Oxy So there is ONe Person the Father, second Person the Son and third Person the Spirit. 3in1 and all are equal in power. That is what the trinity is. Can you prove that/ And were is the trinity listed? I said it before you can't prove the Mystery of the trinity, but I can prove to you by the words of Jesus that the trinity is wrong. He said that the Father isd greaer then He is. My favorite scripture
    Ephesians 4:4-6 THERE IS ONE BODY AND ONE SPIRIT, JUST AS YOU WERE CALLED IN ONE HOPEOF YOUR CALLING. ONE LORD(jESUS) ONE FAITH, ONE BAPTISM.
    O N E G O D A N D F A T H E R O F A L L W H O I S A B O V E A L L, A N D T H R O U G H U S A L L, A N D I N U S A L L.
    When are you going to see this that the Father is greater then the Son and even if the Spirit would be a person the Father is still greater then all and will always be so. He always exsisted.

Peace and Love Mrs. :D :D :D

Mrs that is their twist. They don't believe that the Son is equal with the Father. So they believe in a twisted version of the Trinity.

Seems to me the Spirit was trying to show them the trinity is false BUT instead of giving up their tradition they simply modified it. God is still three as their tradition states but not equal. I suppose the low “person” on the totem poll is the Spirit.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,821 through 1,840 (of 6,305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account