The Holy Spirit, a separate person, essence of God, or force?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,641 through 1,660 (of 6,305 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tim2,
    Statements from the anointed bible teachers would be preferable.

Cult Buster
    Participant

Nick

Hi Tim2,
    Statements from the anointed bible teachers would be preferable.

Is this referring to you Nick?   :D

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CB,
    The bible contains the words of God spoken through His anointed teachers.
    You should abide in those precious words.
    Abhor the speculations of men.

Participant

Quote (Tim2 @ May 08 2007,17:18)

Quote (942767 @ May 08 2007,10:31)

Quote (Tim2 @ May 08 2007,09:43)
    Hi 94,

Because the Spirit is the Parakletos, the Helper, which is by definition a person.  As opposed to paraklesis, which is help and by definition impersonal.  This is according to Trenchard's New Testament Greek, page 119.

Tim

Hi Tim2:

God is my parakletos (helper) by his Spirit.  His Spirit is not a different person that he just as you say that your spirit is not a different person that you.  

Your conclusion is based solely on the definition of these words, but even so, it does not say that the Holy Spirit is a Third person.

God Bless

Hi 94,

John 14:26 doesn't say, “God is your Helper by His Spirit.”  It says, “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, He will teach you all things …”  The Holy Spirit is the Helper.

So my conclusion is based upon the definition of the words in the Bible.  What else should it be based on?

Tim

Hi Tim2:

If as you say John 14:26 states that the Holy Spirit is the helper, and 2 Co.2:9-10 states that God reveals to me what he has prepared for those who love him by His Spirit then I conclude that God is my helper by His Spirit.

Now where does the scripture say that the Holy Spirit is a Third Person?

God Bless

Tim2
    Participant

It's in the text you quoted. Parakletos is a person.

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Tim2 @ May 09 2007,14:56)

It's in the text you quoted.  Parakletos is a person.

Tim

Hi Tim2,
    We know you say so but does scripture?
    Which should we prefer?
    Inference?

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (Tim2 @ May 08 2007,06:51)
    Ken,

Good question about the image of God.  It was actually the icing on the cake that only a few months ago made me a full blooded Trinitarian.

Genesis 1:27: “God created man in his own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.”

So I think it's clear that the image of God isn't one person but, seemingly at first, at least two persons:  male and female.  Now we know that men and women are different in many ways, but the witness of the Bible in creation is that they are the same flesh:  “This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.”  Genesis 2:23.  And in the very next verse:   “For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.”

So the image of God is not one person.  God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone.”  If one man were the image of God, he should stand alone as that image.  But God's law is for man and woman to become one flesh.  This is the image of God stated in Genesis 1:27.  But we know that there are not only two persons in this one flesh.  There are three, for a child is conceived.  So we have at the beginning of God the image of God being three persons who are one flesh.  Jesus said, “They are no longer two, but one flesh.  What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate.”  Matthew 19:6.

Tim

Ok so God took Adam and made Eve and the two became one flesh. God started with one and with that one no helper was found for him. So God made Eve with Part of Adam. Eve is of Adam. So the Son is of the Father is that your point? What of the third separate person?

Are you not created in the Image of God?

So my question: If you are created like the God head you support then does your third separate person spirit have a name or is your spirit YOU?

Is your spirit a separate person with a mind of it's own?

The Holy Spirit IS GOD and not a third separate person, which is why the Holy Spirit does not have a separate name as Jesus. The Son of God has a name. You and EVERYONE (Angelic or human) has a name. But for some reason this third separate person who the Harlot says is the Holy Spirit has no name. WHY?

When the apostles baptized in the Name of Jesus They Baptized in the name of Father who is Spirit and the Son.

God IS a Spirit.

Cult Buster
    Participant

Kenrch

The Holy Spirit IS GOD and not a third separate person, which is why the Holy Spirit does not have a separate name as Jesus. The Son of God has a name.  You and EVERYONE (Angelic or human) has a name.  But for some reason this third separate person who the Harlot says is the Holy Spirit has no name.  WHY?

The Holy Spirit's name is Jehovah Elohiym.

Both the Son and the Father each have a number of names.

Compare
    Jer 31:33  But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD(JEHOVAH) I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    Jer 31:34  And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD (JEHOVAH): for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD (JEHOVAH)  : for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

With
    Heb 10:15  Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
    Heb 10:16  This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
    Heb 10:17  And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Conclusion.      The Holy Ghost is JEHOVAH

Compare
    Psa 95:7  For he is our God (Elohiym); and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. To day if ye will hear his voice,
    Psa 95:8  Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
    Psa 95:9  When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my work.
    Psa 95:10  Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways:
    Psa 95:11  Unto whom I sware in my wrath that they should not enter into my rest.

With
    Heb 3:7  Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,
    Heb 3:8  Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
    Heb 3:9  When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
    Heb 3:10  Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
    Heb 3:11  So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)

Conclusion.      The Holy Ghost is Elohiym

Mat 28:19  Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

It does not make sense to say that the Holy Spirit is not a separate Person and just the spiritual presence of the Father or the Son or of both. He is the eternal Spirit. He was the Holy Spirit from eternity past.

Heb 9:14  How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

At the baptism of Jesus all Three were manifested there. The Father spoke from heaven, Jesus was in the water being baptized, and the Holy Spirit came down upon Jesus like a dove. The Father and Jesus needed no spiritual presence of any third party.

Question for the Arian followers, (those who do not have a Trinitarian view).

How do you reconcile the folowing scriptures from an Arian view?

Rom 8:
    9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
    10  And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
    11  But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

1 Cor 3:16
    Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

2 Cor 6:16
    And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

1 Cor 12:13
    For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to *drink into one Spirit*.

Eph 2:18
    For through him we both have access *by one Spirit* unto the Father.

Eph 4:4
    There is one body, and *ONE Spirit*, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

2 Cor 3:17
    Now the Lord(Kurios) is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord(Kurios) is, there is liberty.

2 Cor 13:5
    Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus (Yeshua)Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Jn 14:16
    And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

Jn 16:7
    Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

As you can see these scriptures state there is the Spirit of God, Spirit of Christ, the Spirit, Spirit of Him, His Spirit, Comforter all gloriously  together as One Spirit, which Paul calls the Spirit of God.

When someone accepts Jesus into their heart does the Spirit of Christ or God or the Comforter come to live in them?

How many Spirits do they recieve?

Blessings!  :)

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi W,
    You say
    “When someone accepts Jesus into their heart does the Spirit of Christ or God or the Comforter come to live in them?”
    Where is such an action shown in Acts or in scripture anywhere?

Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ May 11 2007,07:30)

Rom 8:
    9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
    10  And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
    11  But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to *drink into one Spirit*.

There is one body, and *ONE Spirit*, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

Now the Lord(Kurios) is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord(Kurios) is, there is liberty.

Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus (Yeshua)Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

As you can see these scriptures state there is the Spirit of God, Spirit of Christ, the Spirit, Spirit of Him, His Spirit, Comforter all gloriously  together as One Spirit, which Paul calls the Spirit of God.

When someone accepts Jesus into their heart does the Spirit of Christ or God or the Comforter come to live in them?

Hi WJ:

The Spirit of Christ is the Word of God which has come from God through His Son.  The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God the Father who is our helper.  They are one in the Spirit of Holiness.

Romans 8      
    8:1
    There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. (To be in Christ Jesus means that we are striving to obey His commandments.  This the Spirit of Christ)

Rom 8:9
    But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. (The Spirit of God the Father dwells within us as our helper when we are striving to obey the commandment that came from Him through Jesus)

2Jo 1:9
    Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

Rom.8:11
    But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth (5723) in you.

Rom. 8:16
    The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit(as Sons of God our spirit should be the spirit of Christ), that we are the children of God:

I hope this helps.

God Bless

Participant

Quote (Tim2 @ May 09 2007,14:56)

It's in the text you quoted.  Parakletos is a person.

Tim

Hi Tim2:

God's person but not a Third person. Hebrews 1:3 states that Jesus is the express image of God's person.

God says to us “Be ye Holy for I am Holy”. (1 Peter 1:16, Leviticus 19:2) Jesus was like God in the Spirit of Holiness, and we are God also in that same spirit.

But not a Third person.

God Bless

Tim2
    Participant

Quote (kenrch @ May 10 2007,02:40)

Quote (Tim2 @ May 08 2007,06:51)
    Ken,

Good question about the image of God.  It was actually the icing on the cake that only a few months ago made me a full blooded Trinitarian.

Genesis 1:27: “God created man in his own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.”

So I think it's clear that the image of God isn't one person but, seemingly at first, at least two persons:  male and female.  Now we know that men and women are different in many ways, but the witness of the Bible in creation is that they are the same flesh:  “This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.”  Genesis 2:23.  And in the very next verse:   “For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.”

So the image of God is not one person.  God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone.”  If one man were the image of God, he should stand alone as that image.  But God's law is for man and woman to become one flesh.  This is the image of God stated in Genesis 1:27.  But we know that there are not only two persons in this one flesh.  There are three, for a child is conceived.  So we have at the beginning of God the image of God being three persons who are one flesh.  Jesus said, “They are no longer two, but one flesh.  What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate.”  Matthew 19:6.

Tim

Ok so God took Adam and made Eve and the two became one flesh.  God started with one and with that one no helper was found for him.  So God made Eve with Part of Adam.  Eve is of Adam.  So the Son is of the Father is that your point? What of the third separate person?

Are you not created in the Image of God?  

So my question: If you are created like the God head you support then does your third separate person spirit have a name or is your spirit YOU?

Is your spirit a separate person with a mind of it's own?  

The Holy Spirit IS GOD and not a third separate person, which is why the Holy Spirit does not have a separate name as Jesus. The Son of God has a name.  You and EVERYONE (Angelic or human) has a name.  But for some reason this third separate person who the Harlot says is the Holy Spirit has no name.  WHY?

When the apostles baptized in the Name of Jesus They Baptized in the name of Father who is Spirit and the Son.

God IS a Spirit.

Hey Ken,
    Yes, my point is that the Son is of the Father.  Actually “ek” the Father as the Nicene Creed says, “out of the Father.” Likewise, Gregory of Nyssa established the orthodox doctrine that the Holy Spirit is out of the Father and of the Son.

I believe it's implicit that the one flesh of husband and wife results in a third person, the child who is conceived.  So in marriage we see three persons in one flesh, the image of one God in three persons.

My spirit is not a separate person from me.  But you're ignoring my point, that the image of God is not one person, but as Genesis 1:27 says, (at least) two (and really three):  male and female (and the child that is conceived).

The Holy Spirit has the same name as the Father and the Son.  Matthew 28:19.

Tim

Quote (Nick Hassan @ May 11 2007,08:49)
    Hi W,
    You say
    “When someone accepts Jesus into their heart does the Spirit of Christ or God or the Comforter come to live in them?”
    Where is such an action shown in Acts or in scripture anywhere?

NH

Apparantly you didnt read my post very well.

If you look close you will see that those scriptures bear out that “The Father and The Son And the Holy Spirit” live in us.

One Spirit, Three Persons, One God!

:)

Quote (942767 @ May 12 2007,11:55)

Rom 8:

Hi WJ:

The Spirit of Christ is the Word of God which has come from God through His Son.  The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God the Father who is our helper.  They are one in the Spirit of Holiness.

Romans 8      
    There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. (To be in Christ Jesus means that we are striving to obey His commandments.  This the Spirit of Christ)

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. (The Spirit of God the Father dwells within us as our helper when we are striving to obey the commandment that came from Him through Jesus)

Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth (5723) in you.

The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit(as Sons of God our spirit should be the spirit of Christ), that we are the children of God:

I hope this helps.

God Bless

Thanks.

But how many Spirits do we have in us based on the scriptures I posted?

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (Cult Buster @ May 11 2007,01:39)
    Kenrch

The Holy Spirit's name is Jehovah Elohiym.

Both the Son and the Father each have a number of names.

Compare
    Jer 31:33  But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD(JEHOVAH) I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    Jer 31:34  And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD (JEHOVAH): for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD (JEHOVAH)  : for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

With
    Heb 10:15  Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
    Heb 10:16  This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
    Heb 10:17  And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Conclusion.      The Holy Ghost is JEHOVAH

Compare
    Psa 95:7  For he is our God (Elohiym); and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. To day if ye will hear his voice,
    Psa 95:8  Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
    Psa 95:9  When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my work.
    Psa 95:10  Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways:
    Psa 95:11  Unto whom I sware in my wrath that they should not enter into my rest.

With
    Heb 3:7  Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,
    Heb 3:8  Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
    Heb 3:9  When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
    Heb 3:10  Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
    Heb 3:11  So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)

Conclusion.      The Holy Ghost is Elohiym

Mat 28:19  Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

It does not make sense to say that the Holy Spirit is not a separate Person and just the spiritual presence of the Father or the Son or of both. He is the eternal Spirit. He was the Holy Spirit from eternity past.

Heb 9:14  How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

At the baptism of Jesus all Three were manifested there. The Father spoke from heaven, Jesus was in the water being baptized, and the Holy Spirit came down upon Jesus like a dove. The Father and Jesus needed no spiritual presence of any third party.

I agree CB the Holy Spirit IS Jehovah God. God is a Spirit! Therefore if you baptize in the name of the Father then you have baptized in the name of the SPIRIT. Jesus the only begotten being full of the Spirit.

When the apostles baptized in the name of Jesus they baptized in all the names of God. Jesus the Son who had the Spirit without measure :)

IHN&L,

Ken

Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ May 12 2007,18:40)

Rom 8:

Hi WJ:

Romans 8      

I hope this helps.

God Bless

Thanks.

Hi WJ:

We have two “our spirit” and the “Sprit of our Father” as our helper dwelling in us.

Rom 8:16
    The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

God Bless

Quote (942767 @ May 13 2007,07:36)

Rom 8:

Hi WJ:

Romans 8      

I hope this helps.

God Bless

Thanks.

Hi WJ:

We have two “our spirit” and the “Sprit of our Father” as our helper dwelling in us.

The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

God Bless

The Father does live in us. But who also lives in us?

Father

Son

Holy Spirit

Father, Son and Holy Spirit, gloriously and wonderfully united together as One.

For through him (Yeshua) we both have access *by one Spirit* (Comforter) unto the Father. (See the three)

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi W,
    Is that ONE Spirit the Holy Spirit?
    Is the Holy Spirit a person as well?

Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ May 13 2007,09:40)

Quote (942767 @ May 13 2007,07:36)

Rom 8:

Hi WJ:

Romans 8      

I hope this helps.

God Bless

Thanks.

Hi WJ:

God Bless

The Father does live in us. But who also lives in us?

Father

Son

Holy Spirit

Father, Son and Holy Spirit, gloriously and wonderfully united together as One.

For through him (Yeshua) we both have access *by one Spirit* (Comforter) unto the Father. (See the three)

Hi WJ:

You asked how man spirits and I showed you by the scriptures that we have the Spirit of God our Father and the spiri
    t of the Son of God inasmuch as we are obeying his commandments.  I have already given you the scriptures, but I will paste them again, and if it does not satisfy you then there is no need for further discussion.

God Bless

Viewing 20 posts - 1,641 through 1,660 (of 6,305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account