The Holy Spirit, a separate person, essence of God, or force?

Viewing 20 posts - 681 through 700 (of 6,305 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Oxy,

“26”But the (A)Helper, the Holy Spirit, (B)whom the Father will send in My name, ÂHe will teach you all things, and (D)bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.”

Jn 7.38-39
    ” 38″He who believes in Me, (A)as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of (B)living water.'”

39But this He spoke Âof the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for (D)the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet (E)glorified. “

The Spirit of Christ was sent to enliven and empower the body of Christ of earth while he remained head of that Body in heaven. This was no new person who was sent but the Spirit of God that had rested in Jesus. Thus in the plan of God, God can be all in all.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Oxy @ Aug. 19 2006,20:20)
    But to me the word trinity has only ever been a way of saying 3. Nothing more.

Hi Oxy,

But do you not think it a little suspicious that the 1st commandment is that the Lord thy God is one God, yet today many say he is 3 or triune.

Q: What happened between then and now that made people swap 1 for 3?
    A: The creeds of men.

It was prophecied that the apostacy would come, then the man of sin, then Christ. So we are at the first stage I would say.

2 Thessalonians 2:2-4
    2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Oxy
    Participant

t8, that's where you get into trouble my friend. If you can't see God being God the Father, Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit, the only option you have is to deny the Person of the Holy Spirit and also deny the deity of Jesus Christ.

seminarian
    Participant

Quote (Guest @ Dec. 21 2004,03:09)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 21 2004,02:40)
    The Father has never been on earth .

If this is true then how do you explain Gen 3:8, 18:1….

Guest,

The Bible does not contradict itself. It clearly says that:

“God is NOT a man…nor the son of man.” in both Numbers 23:19 and Hosea 11:9

Here's another example similar to your quoted scripture. It shows in Exodus 3:1 that the voice from the burning bush was speaking to Moses in THE FIRST PERSON. That is as if God were speaking directly from the bush. However if you read the account, it clearly says that it was an ANGEL. Read further in verse 4 where it says that GOD called to him from within the bush, “Moses, Moses!” Verse 6 continues, “I am the God of your father…” Again first person, singular but the scriptures have made it clear that it was an ANGEL who was speaking.

The Father is spirit and can never become one of His creations. My question is why do people wish to bring the Creator of the Universe down to our level? That is why more and more people worship the Lord Jesus to the exclusion of the Father. People want a God they can see and who is like themselves. That's really idolatry because you are making a god more of your own liking.

If you truly know God the Father and His uncontainable power and might, you would know that He could never become a man, bush or pillar of fire. He CREATED all those things and has myriads of created angels to do these tasks for Him.

Blessings,

Semmy

seminarian
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Aug. 19 2006,11:04)

Quote (Oxy @ Aug. 19 2006,20:20)
    But to me the word trinity has only ever been a way of saying 3.  Nothing more.

Hi Oxy,

But do you not think it a little suspicious that the 1st commandment is that the Lord thy God is one God, yet today many say he is 3 or triune.

Q: What happened between then and now that made people swap 1 for 3?
    A: The creeds of men.

It was prophecied that the apostacy would come, then the man of sin, then Christ. So we are at the first stage I would say.

2 Thessalonians 2:2-4
    2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

T8 and Oxy,

Let me add to T8's astute observation of how ONE God has become 3. Also how is it that Judiaism is monotheistic and Christianity came out of that? Ask any Jewish Rabbi and they will laugh in your face about the trinity. Such false teachings are not found in the Bible nor are the found in Judiaism from which Christianity came. It is simply unheard of because it DID NOT originate with God's chosen people.

It was added by the surrounding pagan cultures, the Greeks, the Romans and the Babylonians all of whom worshipped triune or trinities of Gods.

Jesus told the Samaritan woman at the well, “You Samaritans worship what you do not know.” It's true here. Christ went on to say, “Salvation is of the Jews” and they DON'T beleove in any three in one God.

Lord help us here….

Semmy

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Oxy @ Aug. 20 2006,02:44)
    t8, that's where you get into trouble my friend.  If you can't see God being God the Father, Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit, the only option you have is to deny the Person of the Holy Spirit and also deny the deity of Jesus Christ.

Hi Oxy,
    Scripture says in 2 Cor 5 that
    “God was in Christ recomnciling the world to Himself”

So was Christ God
    and
    God was also in Christ?

When you say Christ is a deity
    which means a god
    do you mean there are two gods we should worship now?

Oxy
    Participant

Here is the mystery of God. God is one. But at the beginning of creation God said “Let there be…” and there was. But then we are told that the Word of God created everything, and the Spirit of God moved on the face of the waters. That is the three parts of God.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Oxy,
    But that denies that Jesus is the Son of God.

Oxy
    Participant

Jesus was never the Son of God until He was Born as such. The first begotten. Remember He gave up His former glory to submit to the father.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Oxy,
    And he did this while on earth? When?

NickHassan
    Participant

Micah 2.7
    7″Is it being said, O house of Jacob:
            'Is the Spirit of the LORD (A)impatient?
            Are these His doings?'
            Do not My words (B)do good”

God expresses himself on earth through his Spirit.

2 Tim 3.16f
    16(A)All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

God speaks through the scriptures.

2Peter 1.19f
    ” 19So we have (A)the prophetic word made more (B)sure, to which you do well to pay attention as to ©a lamp shining in a dark place, until the (D)day dawns and the (E)morning star arises (F)in your hearts.
    20But (G)know this first of all, that (H)no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation,”
    21for (I)no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men (J)moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.
    17so that (B)the man of God may be adequate, ©equipped for every good work.”

God speaks through His Spirit in the scriptures.

God is spirit.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    This is how we walk in the Spirit
    Zech 4.6
    “6Then he said to me, “This is the word of the LORD to (A)Zerubbabel saying, '(B)Not by might nor by power, but by My ÂSpirit,' says the LORD of hosts.”
    Abhor might and power.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    We are able to know the Spirit of God in our lives or these verses make no sense.
    1Jn 4.24
    “…We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.”
    1Jn 4.13
    ” 13By this we know that we abide in Him and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit.”

malcolm ferris
    Participant

Hi Nick

A few pages back you said:

Jn 4.22f
    “Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe Me, an hour is coming when neither in this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father.
    You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews.
    But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers.
    God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

Yes God is spirit.
    God is a Spirit Being.
    God has a throne.
    God has a footstool.
    God is not so small that he can just be contained in a human body vessel.

Yes God is a Spirit Being – and a being must have a self – a single identity in order to be such.
    He has a throne and a footstool as you point out.
    I assume He sits on one and rests His feet upon the other.
    In His right hand He had a book, sealed with seven seals.
    He is not just like the air – wafting around in all places looking for someone to blow through.

You said: God is not so small that he can just be contained in a human body vessel.
    How would that belittle Him?
    We are told to make no image of God, yet God made an image of Himself and called it man.
    God must contain Himself in a form in order for creation to even be able to conceive of Him,
    He is infinite, eternal and His creation is finite and of a temporal nature.

Why God confined and defined Himself within the limits of His own Word for starters.
    He is called “the strong One bound by an oath” – the oath of His own Word.
    For he cannot lie any more than He can fail or change His mind.
    He is unchanging and therefore reliable, that is a solid rock we can anchor our souls upon.

There are not too many things I am aware of that God cannot do, among them :

He cannot lie
    He cannot fail
    He cannot die – being the King Immortal Invisible and the Only Wise God.

It is said that He cannot be seen, yet He has an image. And to see that image is to see the invisible person that is behind it and to learn of His nature, to come to know Him.
    For every statement that God cannot be seen, there is one that says you can – so we understand that God can be seen by the masks upon which He is projected.
    Can be heard through the vessels He uses to speak through. Can be known by the means He puts at our disposal to draw nigh unto Him – namely His Word.

You also said:

As Paul said in Acts 17.24f
    The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands;
    nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all people life and breath and all things;
    And He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation,
    hat they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us;
    for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, 'For we also are His children.'
    Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man.”

And God was still in heaven then too.

That is correct He does not dwell in temples made with human hands, with the hands of a created being.

Isaiah 45:12 (NASB)

Thus says the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker:
    Ask Me about the things to come concerning My sons,
    And you shall commit to Me the work of My hands.
    It is I who made the earth, and created man upon it
    I stretched out the heavens with My hands
    And I ordained all their host.

Daniel 2:34
    You continued looking until a stone was cut out without hands,
    and it struck the statue on its feet of iron and clay and crushed them.

That stone was Christ, the stone the builders rejected, He is said to be cut without hands…

JMTCW
    :D

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Malcolm,
    Can I ask again if you believe that when God was in Christ on earth that He was absent from heaven?

And when God says things such as are shown in Prov 1.23

” 23Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.”

as happened with Christ what does this mean to you?

malcolm ferris
    Participant

Hi Nick
    Can I ask you if you beleive that Heaven is a location geographically distant, or dimensionally (say) faster and all about us?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Malcolm,
    I know it exists and that beings can go from here to there.
    What about you?

What about when God dwelled with Israel as in Num 35.34
    ” 34Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit, wherein I dwell: for I the LORD dwell among the children of Israel”

Was God absent from his heavenly Throne?.

malcolm ferris
    Participant

Nick
    I beleive that He is the creator and master of space and time and matter. That He is not bound by the physical limitations of the universe.
    I do not claim to understand how these all work to make up the dimension in which I dwell.
    Yet as you say He is able to dwell in the midst of His people, also Paul prayed that Christ might dwell in our hearts by faith.
    I know that He is able to use whatever forms He chooses in order to manifest His personal presence to us (Heb 1:1-2). That in times past to Israel the shekinah indicated his presence and that He appeared to the people in a pillar of fire by night and a cloud by day.
    I know that He is a person and that His son is a person separate from Him.
    That I am a person also separate from both of these wonderful people.
    Also I know that I am at the same time one with them both and they with me by the one Spirit of God.
    I also know that I am right now seated in heavenly places in Christ Jesus, yet at the same time here I am on this old earth typing on my keyboard…
    :D

NickHassan
    Participant

lHi Malcolm,
    Indeed,
    Acts 17.27
    “27That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:”
    2Cor 3
    “17Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.”

What do you make of these verses?
    What of Eph 2.16f
    “16And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

17And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.

18For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

19Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

20And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

21In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:

22In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.”

NickHassan
    Participant

ps
    So in the same breath in Eph 2 Paul teaches us
    that we can access God in prayer by the Spirit,
    and God inhabits His people by that same Spirit
    because the Spirit, the finger of God,
    is never separate from God.

Viewing 20 posts - 681 through 700 (of 6,305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account