JOHN 1:1 who is the WORD?

Viewing 20 posts - 13,701 through 13,720 (of 25,926 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Aug. 16 2013,12:16)

Quote (kerwin @ Aug. 14 2013,21:16)
    God's Word is more than man's word as God spoke and all that is created came to be and nothing that is created came to be without God's Word.

Show me in scripture, Kerwin……….. one at a time.

List a scripture where “word” means something other than a word that someone spoke or wrote.

Hi Mike:

Hbr 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Aug. 16 2013,04:39)

Quote (942767 @ Aug. 15 2013,21:32)

Quote (Ed J @ Aug. 15 2013,23:39)
    Hi Jammin,

John 1:1 does NOT say the word was Christ.
    John 1:1 instead says “The Word” was GOD!

End of discussion.

God bless
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

Hi Ed:

That is correct, and since John 1c states “and the Word was God”, it cannot be speaking of Jesus as a sentient person because he himself has stated that he was not God.

Through John 1 God is telling us that when he began to create the world he had a plan, and that his plan would be fulfilled in His giving of His Only Begotten Son, all things were made by him and without him was nothing made that was made, and so the Word, Logos, pertains to Jesus, but is not him as a sentient person.  Through His giving us His Only Begotten Son to be the propitiation for our sins, and reconciling us unto Himself, He has shown us his Love for us, and this is John 1c. And the Word was God.  God is love, and through Jesus God has shown us his character. (John 1:18, John 14).

And in the plan of God, He states “let us make man in our image, in the image of God created He them, male and female created He them”.  The first Adam was made a living soul, and the Last Adam, Jesus, was made a life giving spirit, the spirit of Christ, through whom also we who are born again are being sanctified and made in His image.  And Jesus is God's heir, and we are joint heirs with him.

One last thing which I believe shows that Jesus was not some other being prior to being born into this world, but he came into being through his birth, and was sent into the world in his ministry to fulfill the plan of God.

Jhn 18:37   Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

this is not an Arnold Schwarzenegger   movie , :D
    (One last thing which I believe shows that Jesus was not some other being prior to being born into this world, but he came into being through his birth, and was sent into the world in his ministry to fulfill the plan of God.)
    ————————————-
    your interpretation of ;

Jn 18:37 “You are a king, then!” said Pilate.
    Jesus answered, “You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.”

could you explain this ;
    1) In fact, for this reason I was born, ( I am a king)
    2)and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth( what is the truth ???)

Hi Pierre:

Try reading the scriptures in your French translation of the bible, and the maybe you will understand the scriptures. I don't see anything there that needs to be explained to someone who can read.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Aug. 16 2013,07:16)

Quote (kerwin @ Aug. 14 2013,21:16)
    God's Word is more than man's word as God spoke and all that is created came to be and nothing that is created came to be without God's Word.

Show me in scripture, Kerwin……….. one at a time.

List a scripture where “word” means something other than a word that someone spoke or wrote.

Mike,

If a creature spoke his word and said “let there be light” would light come to be?

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Aug. 16 2013,07:18)

Quote (kerwin @ Aug. 14 2013,22:44)
    Mike,

What I am saying is that God rules the Spirit

Yes Kerwin,

I am well aware of what you're saying.  Now listen to what I'M saying…………. YOU ARE WRONG.

God rules over both spirit AND flesh.  Again………. END OF STORY.

Mike,

We are not puppets in the hands of God. God rules the Spirit because it is his Spirit. He reigns over those who live by the Spirit. The Spirit in those people rules over the flesh because those people choose it to. I doubt we actually disagree on these points though I believe it is best to establish we don't.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Aug. 16 2013,09:21)

Hi Jammin,

End of discussion.

God bless

Hi Ed:

That is correct, and since John 1c states “and the Word was God”, it cannot be speaking of Jesus as a sentient person because he himself has stated that he was not God.

Through John 1 God is telling us that when he began to create the world he had a plan, and that his plan would be fulfilled in His giving of His Only Begotten Son, all things were made by him and without him was nothing made that was made, and so the Word, Logos, pertains to Jesus, but is not him as a sentient person.  Through His giving us His Only Begotten Son to be the propitiation for our sins, and reconciling us unto Himself, He has shown us his Love for us, and this is John 1c. And the Word was God.  God is love, and through Jesus God has shown us his character. (John 1:18, John 14).

And in the plan of God, He states “let us make man in our image, in the image of God created He them, male and female created He them”.  The first Adam was made a living soul, and the Last Adam, Jesus, was made a life giving spirit, the spirit of Christ, through whom also we who are born again are being sanctified and made in His image.  And Jesus is God's heir, and we are joint heirs with him.

One last thing which I believe shows that Jesus was not some other being prior to being born into this world, but he came into being through his birth, and was sent into the world in his ministry to fulfill the plan of God.

Jhn 18:37   Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

(One last thing which I believe shows that Jesus was not some other being prior to being born into this world, but he came into being through his birth, and was sent into the world in his ministry to fulfill the plan of God.)
    ————————————-
    your interpretation of ;

Jesus answered, “You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.”

could you explain this ;
    2)and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth( what is the truth ???)

Hi Pierre:

Try reading the scriptures in your French translation of the bible, and the maybe you will understand the scriptures.  I don't see anything there that needs to be explained to someone who can read.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

so you do not know ,???

Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Aug. 16 2013,15:52)

Hi Jammin,

End of discussion.

God bless

Hi Ed:

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

————————————-
    your interpretation of ;

could you explain this ;

Hi Pierre:

Try reading the scriptures in your French translation of the bible, and the maybe you will understand the scriptures.  I don't see anything there that needs to be explained to someone who can read.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

so you do not know ,???

I have read and know what the scriptures say, and they do not need any interpretation, and so, if you have read them that is what they mean. Are you able to read?

Love in Christ,
    Marty

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Aug. 16 2013,19:36)

Hi Jammin,

End of discussion.

God bless

Hi Ed:

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

————————————-
    your interpretation of ;

could you explain this ;

Hi Pierre:

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

so you do not know ,???

I have read and know what the scriptures say, and they do not need any interpretation, and so, if you have read them that is what they mean.  Are you able to read?

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

here are my two questions;1) In fact, for this reason I was born, ( I am a king)

in the first Christ says “THIS IS THE REASON ” FOR HIM TO HAVE BEEN BORN “(I am a king)

BUT IN THE SECOND ;HE SAYS THAT :”FOR THIS I CAME INTO THE WORLD ;TO TESTIFY TO THE TRUTH “

so in the first he says that because HE HIS A KING”

so in the second he says ;that it is for TO TESTIFY TO THE TRUTH “

TO ME THOSE TWO THINGS ARE ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THINGS OR REASONS FOR BEING ON EARTH ,AND THAT HIS MY POINT AND MY QUESTION REMAIN WHAT ARE THOSE TWO REASONS MEAN ???

Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Aug. 17 2013,05:21)

Hi Jammin,

End of discussion.

God bless

Hi Ed:

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

————————————-
    your interpretation of ;

could you explain this ;

Hi Pierre:

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

so you do not know ,???

I have read and know what the scriptures say, and they do not need any interpretation, and so, if you have read them that is what they mean.  Are you able to read?

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

here are my two questions;1) In fact, for this reason I was born, ( I am a king)

in the first Christ says “THIS IS THE REASON ” FOR HIM TO HAVE BEEN BORN “(I am a king)

BUT IN THE SECOND ;HE SAYS THAT :”FOR THIS I CAME INTO THE WORLD ;TO TESTIFY TO THE TRUTH “

so in the second he says ;that it is for TO TESTIFY TO THE  TRUTH “

TO ME THOSE TWO THINGS ARE ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THINGS OR REASONS FOR BEING ON EARTH ,AND THAT HIS MY POINT AND MY QUESTION REMAIN WHAT ARE THOSE TWO REASONS MEAN ???

Hi Pierre:

Ask Mike to explain it to you.

Love in Christ,
    Marth

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Aug. 17 2013,05:31)

Hi Jammin,

End of discussion.

God bless

Hi Ed:

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

————————————-
    your interpretation of ;

could you explain this ;

Hi Pierre:

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

so you do not know ,???

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

Hi Pierre:

Love in Christ,
    Marth

Marty

I do not have to ask ,I know ,I just wander if you knew thats all ,but it seems you do not ,right ???

Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Aug. 17 2013,11:03)

Hi Jammin,

End of discussion.

God bless

Hi Ed:

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

————————————-
    your interpretation of ;

could you explain this ;

Hi Pierre:

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

so you do not know ,???

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

Hi Pierre:

Love in Christ,
    Marth

Marty

I do not have to ask ,I know ,I just wander if you knew thats all ,but it seems you do not ,right ???

Hi Pierre:

If you know, then why are you asking me to explain the scriptures to you. I have read and understand the scriptures, and I do not need you to explain them to me.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Aug. 17 2013,08:26)

Quote (terraricca @ Aug. 17 2013,11:03)

Hi Jammin,

End of discussion.

God bless

Hi Ed:

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

————————————-
    your interpretation of ;

could you explain this ;

Hi Pierre:

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

so you do not know ,???

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

Hi Pierre:

Love in Christ,
    Marth

Marty

Hi Pierre:

If you know, then why are you asking me to explain the scriptures to you.  I have read and understand the scriptures, and I do not need you to explain them to me.

Love in Ch
    rist,
    Marty

:( :D

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Aug. 16 2013,10:13)

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Aug. 16 2013,07:18)

Quote (kerwin @ Aug. 14 2013,22:44)
    Mike,

What I am saying is that God rules the Spirit

Yes Kerwin,

I am well aware of what you're saying.  Now listen to what I'M saying…………. YOU ARE WRONG.

God rules over both spirit AND flesh.  Again………. END OF STORY.

Mike,

We are not puppets in the hands of God.  God rules the Spirit because it is his Spirit.  He reigns over those who live by the Spirit.  The Spirit in those people rules over the flesh because those people choose it to. I doubt we actually disagree on these points though I believe it is best to establish we don't.

Mike,

My argument is basically that other humans can rule the outside of a person's cup but God can rule the inside. When the inside is cleaned the outside become clean but if the outside is clean the inside can be disgusting.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (942767 @ Aug. 15 2013,21:07)
    The “Logos” was with God. The plan for this world and for his creation “was with God”.

So God's plan was with Him? ???

And the plan OF God actually IS God Almighty Himself? ???

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (942767 @ Aug. 15 2013,21:15)

Hi Mike:

Hbr 11:3   Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Hi Marty,

I said these words to Kerwin on page 947 of this thread:

It is only a few times that it refers to the main spokesman of God.

So go ahead and translate only those few times as “Christ”, and you'll be right on the money. Those times are John 1:1, 1:14, 1 John 1:1-2, and Revelation 19:13. (I know there are more, but I can't place my finger on them right now.)

Hebrews 11:3 is likely one of the other times where “word” refers to Jesus, since we know from other scriptures that all things were made by God and through Jesus.

But let's assume for argument's sake that “word” does NOT refer to Jesus in this verse. Tell me what YOU think “word” describes in this verse.

First of all though, we have to correct the KJV's awkward translation. The Greek words are “so that what is seen did not come into being from things that are visible.”

If you check, you'll find that the NKJV, and virtually every other English translation conveys the correct meaning of Paul's words.

So, do you believe Paul is saying that the word of God is some invisible entity through whom/which all the visible things came into being?

Or do you believe it is more a matter of, “God spoke, and things came into being”?

Or perhaps you have a different understanding than those two. Please explain to me how YOU understand “the word of God” in that verse.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Kerwin,

I've read your posts. I'm done discussing your faulty belief that God only rules over men's spirits, but not their bodies.

As for the other subject, I await your first scripture in which “word” means something other than a spoken or written word.

Pointing out that God SPOKE A WORD and things came into existence proves MY point. In that example, “word” simply refers to words that God spoke.

You're supposed to be listing a scripture where “word” DOESN'T refer to a written or spoken word.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

To All………….A WORD is simply an EXPRESSION of THOUGHT NOTHING MORE AND NOTHING LESS Caution to you all who understand the truth, Don't get caught up in all this garbage that a Word means a Person it does not , God and HIS WORD are one and the SAME thing, because the Words he spoke proceeded out of HIS MIND, and HIS POWER Brings what He expresses by those Words to pass. Jesus himself was brought about by the Word and POWER of God, Which was foretold through the Prophets. There is absolutely No difference , God and his Word are one and the same, Just as you and your words are one and the same thing. People who PREACH in anyway, to make other GODS out of a WORD are LIARS and IDOLATERS . NO WORD IS A GOD “ITSELF”, NEVER WAS AND NEVER WILL BE EITHER, A WORD IS SIMPLY, (INTELLIGENT UTTERANCES), a product of the mind,whether of God or Man, or Angels NO MORE AND NO LESS John was very capable of Writing the Word Jesus in John 1:1, if that is what he meant, no “MYSTERY RELIGIOUS” application would have been needed, if John wanted to mean Jesus he would have simply written Jesus there. Anyone who has the truth in him should be able to figure that out. IMO

peace and love to you all………………………………………………….gene

Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Aug. 20 2013,13:46)

Quote (942767 @ Aug. 15 2013,21:07)
    The “Logos” was with God.  The plan for this world and for his creation “was with God”.

So God's plan was with Him?  ???

And the plan OF God actually IS God Almighty Himself?   ???

Yes, Mike, God's plan for his creation was with him when he began to create, and through this plan he has revealed to us through the giving His only begotten Son His character.

A person is defined by the life that he lives. The plan itself is not God Almighty, but it is through His plan that he has shown us His character, and so, “the Word is God”.

Jhn 14:9   Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou [then], Shew us the Father?  

Jhn 14:10   Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Aug. 20 2013,13:59)

Quote (942767 @ Aug. 15 2013,21:15)

Hi Mike:

Hbr 11:3   Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Hi Marty,

I said these words to Kerwin on page 947 of this thread:

It is only a few times that it refers to the main spokesman of God.

So go ahead and translate only those few times as “Christ”, and you'll be right on the money.  Those times are John 1:1, 1:14, 1 John 1:1-2, and Revelation 19:13.  (I know there are more, but I can't place my finger on them right now.)

Hebrews 11:3 is likely one of the other times where “word” refers to Jesus, since we know from other scriptures that all things were made by God and through Jesus.

But let's assume for argument's sake that “word” does NOT refer to Jesus in this verse.  Tell me what YOU think “word” describes in this verse.

First of all though, we have to correct the KJV's awkward translation.  The Greek words are “so that what is seen did not come into being from things that are visible.”

If you check, you'll find that the NKJV, and virtually every other English translation conveys the correct meaning of Paul's words.

So, do you believe Paul is saying that the word of God is some invisible entity through whom/which all the visible things came into being?

Or do you believe it is more a matter of, “God spoke, and things came into being”?

Or perhaps you have a different understanding than those two.  Please explain to me how YOU understand “the word of God” in that verse.

Hi Mike:

The word “Christ” translates as “the anointed one”, and so, I do not believe that you can translate “the word” as Christ.  In Revelation 19, the scripture states that “his name is called, the Word of God”.

Hebrew 1:

Hbr 1:1 ¶ God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

The “worlds were framed by the word of God” appears to mean “by the declaration of God's mind as he spoke them, the worlds, into existence”.

Hbr 1:2   Hath in these last days spoken unto us by [his] Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;  

Hbr 1:3   Who being the brightness of [his] glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

And so, no, I do not believe that you can translate “the word of his power” as Christ, but the Word that God has spoken through him and the same Word that obeyed without sin unto death on the cross.

The “word of God” in Hebrews 11 appear to mean that the worlds were framed by the declaration of God's mind as he spoke the worlds into existence.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (942767 @ Aug. 20 2013,12:29)
    Yes, Mike, God's plan for his creation was with him when he began to create…….

So if I make some plans for a vacation this winter, I can say that those plans are with me?   ???  

You are reaching, Marty.  And your conclusion is nonsensical.

The plan itself is not God Almighty………..

Okay.  So “the Word was with God” refers to the Word being with the person of God Almighty Himself, right?

And “the Word was god” does NOT refer to the Word actually BEING the person of God Almighty, right?

So then the first “god” in that sentence means something very different than the second “god” in that sentence.  Good.  You are finally on the right track.

…….but it is through His plan that he has shown us His character, and so, “the Word is God”.

John 14:9
    he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou [then], Shew us the Father?

Okay.  Then by your logic, we should be able to truthfully say “Jesus actually IS the Father“, right?

If the Word showed us God's character, and is therefore “God”, then Jesus showing us the Father's character allows Jesus to BE “the Father”, right?

See how nonsensical things get when we reach too far to have our personal wishes taught in scripture when they're really not?  

Marty, who alone dwelled on earth with the glory of God's only begotten Son?

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (942767 @ Aug. 20 2013,13:14)
    The “word of God” in Hebrews 11 appear to mean that the worlds were framed by the declaration of God's mind as he spoke the worlds into existence.

So then “word” in that verse simply refers to a spoken word, or a set of spoken words, right?

After all, a “declaration” is simply words that someone spoke, right?

But the challenge to Kerwin was to find a scriptural example where “word” does NOT simply refer to spoken or written words, right?

Give it another try if you want.

Viewing 20 posts - 13,701 through 13,720 (of 25,926 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account