JOHN 1:1 who is the WORD?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,341 through 1,360 (of 25,870 total)
  • Author
    TimothyVI
    Participant

Hi Mandy,

You said “But nothings happening and I don't “hear” anything either. I'm beginning to wonder if God only talks to those who talk to him? Like you, I'm beginning to wonder if he wants me at all and is more happily contented with the likes of those who never question.”

The strange thing is that I do seem to hear God communicating with me, but not through the bible. The bible is chock full of things that you must do for God to like you. There are rituals that you must learn and rules that you must remember. But it is almost like God wants for me to know Him without getting caught up in all the printed words. My relationship with the God that I know seems to want a pure free relationship without all the chains and bindings that the bible teaches.

Remember my testimonial about the ordeal with my wife’s coma. I named a number of times that I was driven to do one thing or another. I am convinced that was God working in my life.
    God even talked to me. Not a booming voice like Moses or Noah heard, but through a short out of place piece on the television in answer to a question looming in my mind at the time.

The bible is the holy word of God to many Christians. These Christians revere it’s pages and almost seem to worship the object itself. I think that the bible has a place in God’s plan.
    It, along with the institution of the church, without a doubt are instrumental in bringing many people to a spiritual understanding of sorts. I just feel as if God wants us to go beyond what the bible teaches and really find Him.

I feel the presence God around me when I am walking across my wooded landscape. I know that God tugs at my heart when there is someone in need. I thank God for every new beautiful day that He has given me, and He gives me yet another. I pray to God for the needs of other’s, and I feel God comfort me. Why then I must ask you, do I sense God’s absence when I am studying the bible?
    To me it is truly like God wants for me to see the flaws in the personification of Himself in the pages of the bible.

I continue to read the responses of people on this forum to see if perhaps I may receive some spark of new understanding. If I do not, I have become comfortable with where I am in my spiritual journey at the moment. I love and appreciate the concern shown by most everyone here. I would never in a thousand years try to change their understanding of scriptures if that understanding brings them comfort. I am not a teacher, I am a listener.

Love,

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi charity,
    God has a big father's heart for the orphan and the widow.

Obedience to the carpenter is the way out given.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tim4,
    What INSTITUTION is this you speak of?
    His family is not an institution.
    Neither is the Body.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Sep. 25 2008,06:53)
    Hi Mandy,
    t8 does not mean it that way.
    He is by nature a very kind, gentle and considerate man.
    He was agreeing with you that withdrawing from the difficult threads may help you heal.

That is true Mandy.

All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable.

When debating affects your faith to the point of unbelief then it is not profitable. As you can see, I am promoting a favorable outcome for you.

Thanks Mandy and Nick.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Sep. 25 2008,10:13)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Sep. 25 2008,06:53)
    Hi Mandy,
    t8 does not mean it that way.
    He is by nature a very kind, gentle and considerate man.
    He was agreeing with you that withdrawing from the difficult threads may help you heal.

Yes, you are probably right Nick.  Thanks.

I'm sorry t8.  I shouldn't have assumed and then toungue lashed you like I did.  I really apologize and feel a bit embrassed that I leaped like that.  As you might imagine, I'm a bit beaten down.  Things are not going well at home, here.  I'm also frustrated with my spiritual journey (going through a mad at God phase – AGAIN).  Sorry, brother.

Love,
    Mandy

No probs Mandy, it is very easy to get the wrong end of the stick when you are stressed out. In the end, the best thing to do is to preserve your faith because it is faith that pleases God. Faith isn't always in line with understanding everything, but more about trusting in the one who created everything.

Not3in1
    Participant

t8,

Thanks for the grace and understanding.

Love,
    Mandy

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Mandy…i believe Tim expressed best , our relationship is not with a book , but with a loving FATHER, who cares for us more then we will probably ever know.

love and peace to you and yours………gene

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Sep. 25 2008,15:56)
    Mandy…i believe Tim expressed best , our relationship is not with a book , but with a loving FATHER, who cares for us more then we will probably ever know.

I wholeheartedly agree, Gene.

I've been pondering Tim's post. I want to think about it some more before I reply. He and I think so much a like and have similiar experiences…..

gollamudi
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ Sep. 23 2008,14:08)
    Adam,
    Thank you for your response.

The Son of God is not another God that is the source of all things good.  He is the very Son of that God though, the only begotten son, God of God, and is credited with being the one who laid the foundation of the earth.
    Heb 1:8-12

8 But of the Son He says,

“YOUR THRONE, O GOD, IS FOREVER AND EVER,
    AND THE RIGHTEOUS SCEPTER IS THE SCEPTER OF HIS KINGDOM.
    9 “YOU HAVE LOVED RIGHTEOUSNESS AND HATED LAWLESSNESS;
    THEREFORE GOD, YOUR GOD, HAS ANOINTED YOU
    WITH THE OIL OF GLADNESS ABOVE YOUR COMPANIONS.”

10 And,

“YOU, LORD, IN THE BEGINNING LAID THE FOUNDATION OF THE EARTH,
    AND THE HEAVENS ARE THE WORKS OF YOUR HANDS;
    11 THEY WILL PERISH, BUT YOU REMAIN;
    AND THEY ALL WILL BECOME OLD LIKE A GARMENT,
    12 AND LIKE A MANTLE YOU WILL ROLL THEM UP;
    LIKE A GARMENT THEY WILL ALSO BE CHANGED.
    BUT YOU ARE THE SAME,
    AND YOUR YEARS WILL NOT COME TO AN END.”
    NASU

LU

Hi sis Kathi,
    Thanks again for your patience in replying my posts.
    The scriptures you quoted from N.T are to be seen in O.T which actually talk about Father God Yahweh who created the heavens and eareth by laying foundation. Jesus was no where present at that time as per Heb 1:1;
    1 In times past, God spoke in partial and various ways to our ancestors through the prophets;
    in these last days, he spoke to us through a son,…

Son was not at all functioning in the past that is in O.T.

I only believe that the One and Only God created this whole universe by His own word(spoken) and Spirit(His power). Unless the same word became flesh and was called Jesus 2000+ years ago we don't see Jesus earlier. Now Invisible God is visible through Jesus the man who is in the very nature and image of Him. Yet thery are different persons one is God Himself and the other is man glorified to sit with God on His throne.

Thanks and love to you
    Adam

TimothyVI
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Sep. 25 2008,12:25)
    Hi Tim4,
    What INSTITUTION is this you speak of?
    His family is not an institution.
    Neither is the Body.

You are absolutely correct Nick.
    Unfortunately, the physical building that we call the church has become a “for profit” institution. It is in existence solely for it's own growth.

Tim

Proclaimer
    Participant

I agree. It exists to feed itself.

Lightenup
    Participant

Hi t8 and Tim,
    I go to a church, a Baptist one, and I disagree that all churches exist to feed itself. Good grief what a judgement! The church I go to reaches out to missionaries with financial support and physical support all over the world, lots of them and to each other. We have survived over two years without a senior pastor and we have not wanted for anything. God has been very good to that church. The people are good to each other as well. Yes, they hold on to the trinity doctrine but God works there inspite of that because there is a lot of love and they respect His word and are very good at making disciples who learn how to study the Bible. I have told my Sunday School teacher about some of my differences with the trinity and I have certainly not been ridiculed.

So, my point is, there are still some awesome organized churches out there, don't give up on that concept.
    LU

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Sep. 25 2008,19:23)

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Sep. 25 2008,15:56)

I wholeheartedly agree, Gene.

I've been pondering Tim's post.  I want to think about it some more before I reply.  He and I think so much a like and have similiar experiences…..

Hi Mandy,
    Fine words they offer you but are they a death sentence?
    Is that your umbilical cord they offer to cut or your lifeline?
    Are those bracelets being applied to your wrists or handcuffs?
    Is that a necklace being put around your neck or a noose?
    Is that an oxygen mask being put over your face or a pillow?

Those who do not want you to grasp the WORD want to offer their lies instead.

We are people of the Word, that we may be known by Jesus and His God.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ Sep. 26 2008,04:00)
    Hi t8 and Tim,
    I go to a church, a Baptist one, and I disagree that all churches exist to feed itself.  Good grief what a judgement!  The church I go to reaches out to missionaries with financial support and physical support all over the world, lots of them and to each other.  We have survived over two years without a senior pastor and we have not wanted for anything.  God has been very good to that church.  The people are good to each other as well.  Yes, they hold on to the trinity doctrine but God works there inspite of that because there is a lot of love and they respect His word and are very good at making disciples who learn how to study the Bible.  I have told my Sunday School teacher about some of my differences with the trinity and I have certainly not been ridiculed.

So, my point is, there are still some awesome organized churches out there, don't give up on that concept.
    LU

If they don't exist to feed themselves, then lets see them give everything to the poor. Follow the money. Where is most of the donations going? To the poor, infrastructure, investments? It is publicized that most denominations spend the bulk of donations and tithes on keeping themselves a float.

Of course I am not condemning all churches. I am talking generally of the whole structure behind denominations. The structure or system is often inward looking of itself than showing concern and vision for the Body of Christ. They have their own CEO's or presidents and each seems to compete for the believers.

The Body of Christ has Christ as the head and the members are the living stones that make up God's temple. The ministries are there to perfect the saints.

The spiritual body is really what is important when talking about Church. The system that man creates is irrelevant in the light of the Body of Christ.

Anyway this is another conversation that could be taken up in another discussion.

Hi t8 and Tim,
    I go to a church, a Baptist one, and I disagree that all churches exist to feed itself.  Good grief what a judgement!  The church I go to reaches out to missionaries with financial support and physical support all over the world, lots of them and to each other.  We have survived over two years without a senior pastor and we have not wanted for anything.  God has been very good to that church.  The people are good to each other as well.  Yes, they hold on to the trinity doctrine but God works there inspite of that because there is a lot of love and they respect His word and are very good at making disciples who learn how to study the Bible.  I have told my Sunday School teacher about some of my differences with the trinity and I have certainly not been ridiculed.

LU

Hi LU

I agree!

Very often those who separate themselves from fellowship with local churches become judgmental and condemning of those who go to them.

I was saved in a Baptist church. Yeshua set me free from drugs, and dramatically changed my life overnight.

(How much money is a soul worth?) Not all denominations or churches are bad.

When is the last time anybody on this sight has claimed that someone has come to Christ through their witness?

Also, those who separate themselves and make this sight for instance their only contact with believers, often in doing so they take on elitist attitudes like the ones they condemn for claiming they have the only truth.

So while they preach against the division in the churches they end up being the ones that divide.

The scriptures say…

And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us. And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: “for he that is not against us is for us“.  Luke 9:49, 50

WJ

TimothyVI
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Sep. 26 2008,06:51)
    Those who do not want you to grasp the WORD want to offer their lies instead.

Hi Nick,

A lie is a deception with the intent to decieve others.
    I have no such intent.
    Where can you show that I have lied?
    The only statement that I made other than about my relationship with God was that I felt that we were supposed to have a relationship with God and not with the book.

Could it be that you believe that we are supposed to have a relationship with the book and not God?

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi WJ,
    Those of the world who are not against us are for us in God's eyes.
    But those among us in Christ who are not with us are against us.

TimothyVI
    Participant

Hi t8 and Tim,

LU

Hi LU,

That is wonderful that you have found a church that may truly be doing the work of God. But I maintain that is an exception and not the rule.

I attend a church as well. I love the pastor and most of the entire congregation. I support this church financially as well as with my time.
    I know what our budget is. 90% of all that is taken in goes to sustaining the church. The church then tithes 10% for missions, and charities outside of the church. Most churches operate this same way.
    We have put on a large new addition to the building that we did not need. We built a new parking lot that we did not need.
    But all of the calls for more money was “to do God's work.”

The simple fact is that I would have rather given that money to a food kitchen for the poor, or a shelter for battered women. That, in my opinion, is God's work.

If more churches worked the way that yours appears to LU,
    I would be much happier. I thik that GOd would as well.

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,

In the body of Christ those who do not unite in his truth, divide and scatter.

Matthew 12:30
    He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
    Luke 11:23
    He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathereth not with me scattereth.

The scattering is by the wolves among the flock.

John 10:12
    But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.

Quote (t8 @ Sep. 26 2008,10:35)

Hi t8 and Tim,

LU

If they don't exist to feed themselves, then lets see them give everything to the poor. Follow the money. Where is most of the donations going? To the poor, infrastructure, investments? It is publicized that most denominations spend the bulk of donations and tithes on keeping themselves a float.

Of course I am not condemning all churches. I am talking generally of the whole structure behind denominations. The structure or system is often inward looking of itself than showing concern and vision for the Body of Christ. They have their own CEO's or presidents and each seems to compete for the believers.

The Body of Christ has Christ as the head and the members are the living stones that make up God's temple. The ministries are there to perfect the saints.

The spiritual body is really what is important when talking about Church. The system that man creates is irrelevant in the light of the Body of Christ.

Anyway this is another conversation that could be taken up in another discussion.

Hi t8

Quote (t8 @ Sep. 26 2008,10:35)

If they don't exist to feed themselves, then lets see them give everything to the poor. Follow the money.

Ok and if they did give everything to the poor then they would be poor.

So why don't you sell everything and give it to the poor?

How can you make such a broad judgment of churches yoiu do not even go to?

The churches have money because God's people “willingly” give it.

Yeshua never discouraged men from giving to the synogogues but in fact pointed out how the widow gave more than all the rest.

In the NT the believers all sold everything they had and distributed it evenly among themselves.

I think those participating in local churches are closer to the to the NT church than those who do not go at all. Most do not give at all.

Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another–and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Heb 10:25

WJ

Viewing 20 posts - 1,341 through 1,360 (of 25,870 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account