Examination of the incarnation doctrine.

Viewing 20 posts - 2,141 through 2,160 (of 3,216 total)
  • Author
    mikeboll64
    Blocked

Mankind Ed.

God put emnity between serpents and human beings from that day forward. Men step on vipers, bruising their heads. And vipers bite men as they're walking along, bruising their heels.

It has been an ongoing life and death battle between men and snakes. They kill some of us, we kill some of them.

peace,
    mike

Paladin
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Aug. 10 2011,08:03)

Quote (Paladin @ Aug. 10 2011,06:20)

Quote (Ed J @ Aug. 08 2011,02:52)

Quote (Ed J @ July 30 2011,17:14)

Quote (Paladin @ July 30 2011,10:57)

Where do you go to find understanding about “Nehushtan” Ed? And where do you read of his final effect upon men?

Hi Paladin,

Huh?

God bless
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

Bump for Paladin

I'm trying to show you Ed, that you do nothave a working knowledge of the old testament if you know nothing of Nehushtan.

Hi Paladin,

I knew nothing of this word (Nehushtan) YOU have used here at h-net.
    I have looked it up and I traced the usage of it to biblical passages
    in Numbers 21:8-9; I have been familiar with these passages.

Are trying to imply some kind of ignorance on my part? <– Please explain what you are driving at if not ignorance?

God bless
    Ed J

You accuse me unfairly of trying to show my friend
    “ignorant.”

What I am trying to show you my friend, is that to know and understand the new testament, you must make the connections between the two testments, and that connection is the one covenant that God made with
    Abraham and his seed.

As for “ignorance,” Everyone has some. NO One knws everything, therefore, everyone has some ignorance about something. “Ignorance” is not a dirty word.

Nehushtan is joined to both testaments, but way too many people do not know how. I am trying to get you better acquainted with both. Is that a bad thing? Or are you more concerned with the perception in the minds of the posters on this board?

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (Paladin @ Aug. 10 2011,20:39)

Where do you go to find understanding about “Nehushtan” Ed? And where do you read of his final effect upon men?

Hi Paladin,

Huh?

God bless

Bump for Paladin

I'm trying to show you Ed, that you do nothave a working knowledge of the old testament if you know nothing of Nehushtan.

Hi Paladin,

Are trying to imply some kind of ignorance on my part? <– Please explain what you are driving at if not ignorance?

God bless
    Ed J

“ignorant.”

What I am trying to show you my friend, is that to know and understand the new testament, you must make the connections between the two testments, and that connection is the one covenant that God made with
    Abraham and his seed.

As for “ignorance,” Everyone has some. NO One knws everything, therefore, everyone has some ignorance about something. “Ignorance” is not a dirty word.

Nehushtan is joined to both testaments, but way too many people do not know how. I am trying to get you better acquainted with both. Is that a bad thing? Or are you more concerned with the perception in the minds of the posters on this board?

Hi Paladin,

Making others aware of this connection is indeed a noble cause.
    And if you must use me to initiate this awareness, so be it.
    But please don't assert that this connection alludes me.

God bless

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Aug. 10 2011,14:07)
    Mankind Ed.

God put emnity between serpents and human beings from that day forward.  Men step on vipers, bruising their heads.  And vipers bite men as they're walking along, bruising their heels.

It has been an ongoing life and death battle between men and snakes.  They kill some of us, we kill some of them.

peace,
    mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response! :)

God bless

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (Paladin @ Aug. 10 2011,01:20)

Hi Paladin,

Huh?

God bless

Bump for Paladin

Paladin,

So Jesus on the cross is the bronze serpent on the pole that heals the venum of that serpent Satan. It certainly works as Jesus used that comparison.

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Aug. 10 2011,22:00)

Hi Paladin,

Huh?

God bless

Bump for Paladin

Paladin,

So Jesus on the cross is the bronze serpent on the pole that heals the venum of that serpent Satan. It certainly works as Jesus used that comparison.

Hi Kerwin,

Anyone who does not know this comparison,
    has not studied their bible very much.

God bless

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Aug. 10 2011,12:26)

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Aug. 09 2011,07:00)
    MIke…………….lets start, here is the First,  

Gen 3:15…..> And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed; it SHALL (future tense) , bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.

Now mike who is this speaking of is it not Jesus and does it say that the enmity already exists or SHALL (in the future exist)>

Okay Gene,

We're off and running now.  :)

I wish you wouldn't have picked that scripture because, unlike most people, I DON'T believe this is a Messianic prophecy.

But for the purposes of this exercise, I will assume that it is, okay?

In Jesus's existence prior to being made as a human being, he was not yet the seed of Eve.  So if this was a prophecy about the HUMAN BEING Jesus, it would have to be a future situation, for Jesus was not yet a human being, and therefore not yet the seed of Eve.

It does not mean he wasn't existing at the time God said this to Satan though.

Does that make sense to you Gene?  I'm answering you honestly and openly.  I'm not trying to “twist” anything or “lie” about anything.  I'm simply having an HONEST discussion with you.

And the bottom line is that if 3:15 IS about Jesus, it doesn't apply to Jesus UNTIL he becomes the seed of Eve.  And therefore, it doesn't prohibit the existence of Jesus BEFORE he became the seed of Eve.

What scripture is next?

peace,
    mike

Mike…………I don't want to get side tracked here about our disagreement of Jesus' Preexisting his berth on earth, so i will not answer your last question about firstborn and Paladin also know the the word first born can be used as first in Authority also , but i don't want to get into the now.

So we can then agree according to your words that Jesus (the Man) did not preexist his earthly existence. Now that we have settled that issue , can we also agree that that scripture does not say (anything) about a Preexistent Jesus or any other Preexistence Sentinel “Being” right. Can we agree with that for now, putting aside your non belief in the Messianic Prophesies.

But lets agree, it does have the “POSSIBILITY” of referencing Jesus  at least the “POSSIBILITY” of that Correct?.

If we can agree on this then I will move On to another Scripture. I will move on and consider that scripture as a Proof text to , at Least “POSSIBILITY”. of a future existence of Jesus Christ.

Peace and love……………………gene

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Aug. 10 2011,08:43)

Mike…………I don't want to get side tracked here about our disagreement of Jesus' Preexisting his berth on earth, so i will not answer your last question about firstborn

Fair enough.

So we can then agree according to your words that Jesus (the Man) did not preexist his earthly existence.

Correct.  Jesus did not exist as a HUMAN BEING until he was made flesh.

Now that we have settled that issue , can we also agree that that scripture does not say (anything) about a Preexistent Jesus or any other Preexistence  Sentinel “Being” right.

I do not agree to that, Gene.  There are many scriptures that tell of the things done by Jesus before he was made flesh.

But lets agree, it does have the “POSSIBILITY” of referencing Jesus  at least the “POSSIBILITY” of that Correct?.

Yes, I agree that it is possible that Gen 3:15 is a Messianic prophecy.  

If we can agree on this then I will move On to another Scripture. I will move on and consider that scripture as a Proof text to , at Least “POSSIBILITY”. of a future existence of Jesus Christ.

Okay Gene.  But don't forget the points I made in my last post.  Even if it IS a Messianic prophecy, it prophesies about when Jesus is of the seed of Eve, and therefore doesn't teach anything one way or the other about the pre-existence of Jesus BEFORE he was the seed of Eve.

In other words, this first scripture of yours, Messianic prophecy or not, does nothing to prohibit the pre-existence of Jesus Christ.  Agreed?

peace,
    mike

Paladin
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Aug. 10 2011,21:12)

Hi Paladin,

Huh?

God bless

Bump for Paladin

Hi Paladin,

God bless
    Ed J

“ignorant.”

Abraham and his seed.

Hi Paladin,

God bless

I asserted no such thin. I began with a question.

Questions are not assertions.

How does Nehushtan serve to connect the two testaments to the covenant?

Is this bluster, or do you know?

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Mike ….. I agree Gen 3:15 dose not teach anything about a PRE-
    EXISTENT Jesus. There is  another point we need to agree on, and that is the Word Seed,  Before moving on. Genesis tell us that God made all things with “SEED” after it KIND. Not from some other Kind but (IT'S) Kind. But what you are asking us to believe is that Jesus was NOT as SEED after OUR HUMAN KIND but a KIND that existed outside of HUMAN KIND.  So it become incumbent upon you to explain to us HOW that WORKS MIKE. If you can't then you must agree that what you are preaching is a MYSTERY to US all and you also.

The Definition of the word SEED is ZERA'  in the Hebrew text and occurs 230 times in the old testament is transliterate SPERMA  and occurs that way 41 Times in the New testament

Not one of them as far as i know show anything other then a decedent or a offspring, progeny of the very line from which it came. Now i can show you clearly where Jesus was the Progeny of  both EVE who is said to be the Mother of ALL LIVING Human beings and also the progeny of  Abraham, Jesse and KING DAVID.  But before moving on we must establish Jesus' progeny, you must produce your proof of His preexistence by activity of some kind , a name or being of some kind. Show scripture  (CLEAR) event to document your assertion, and also  (How) he was MORPHED INTO A HUMAN Being from another existence  other then human., we need scripture that support and identify this assumption of yours.  Please post a CLEAR AND SPECIFIC STATED SCRIPTURE, not one that can be assumed or forced to mean what in fact it does not SPECIFICALLY SAY , and PLEASE Do not take thing out of overall context the scriptures are addressing.

We need to settle this issue first before i can start to post all the many many scriptures that show Jesus' Progeny and His Human origins. I maintain you have not one scripture the Shows Jesus as a “SENTINEL” Preexisting Being of any kind. If you do them please Post JUST ONE for NOW. Remember I want SPECIFIC SCRIPTURES NOT UN- SPECIFIC> BY Specific i mean direct statements like Jesus was a preexistent Being, spoken to us by any disciple or follower of His .  You also should explain the MORPHING PROCESS to US. Seeing No scripture show any such process ever taking place . Remember i am not wanting “MYSTERIES” but facts.

peace and love………………………………..gene

Paladin
    Participant

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Aug. 04 2011,04:27)

Quote (Paladin @ Aug. 02 2011,20:44)
    19 And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.

Paladin……….This Scripture alone should tell anyone that the “SEED after Isaac WAS Jesus and the word after means Jesus did not yet exist at that time, or he would not have been “His Seed after him . It amazes me that they just can't get it brother. IMO

peace and love to you and yours………………………….gene

Very good, Gene.

That is the same point Paul was making in I Cor 15:45-46.

“First man Adam” references Adam, “Second Adam” references Jesus.

” And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. 46 How- beit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.”

KangarooJack
    Participant

Gene said to Mike:

There is  another point we need to agree on, and that is the Word Seed,  Before moving on. Genesis tell us that God made all things with “SEED” after it KIND. Not from some other Kind but (IT'S) Kind. But what you are asking us to believe is that Jesus was NOT as SEED after OUR HUMAN KIND but a KIND that existed outside of HUMAN KIND.  So it become incumbent upon you to explain to us HOW that WORKS MIKE. If you can't then you must agree that what you are preaching is a MYSTERY to US all and you also.

Gene,

It's been explained before but you have a short memory. Man was created in the image of God so God may become man.

No degree in rocket science is needed my friend.

KJ

Participant

Quote (Kangaroo Jack @ Aug. 13 2011,02:36)
    Gene said to Mike:

There is  another point we need to agree on, and that is the Word Seed,  Before moving on. Genesis tell us that God made all things with “SEED” after it KIND. Not from some other Kind but (IT'S) Kind. But what you are asking us to believe is that Jesus was NOT as SEED after OUR HUMAN KIND but a KIND that existed outside of HUMAN KIND.  So it become incumbent upon you to explain to us HOW that WORKS MIKE. If you can't then you must agree that what you are preaching is a MYSTERY to US all and you also.

Gene,

It's been explained before but you have a short memory. Man was created in the image of God so God may become man.

No degree in rocket science is needed my friend.

KJ

Hi Jack:

What kind of degree does one need to assert that “God became a man”?

Is there a scripture to support this claim?

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (Paladin @ Aug. 11 2011,22:52)

Quote (Ed J @ Aug. 10 2011,21:12)

Hi Paladin,

Huh?

God bless

Bump for Paladin

Hi Paladin,

God bless
    Ed J

“ignorant.”

Abraham and his seed.

Hi Paladin,

God bless

I asserted no such thin. I began with a question.

Questions are not assertions.

How does Nehushtan serve to connect the two testaments to the covenant?

Is this bluster, or do you know?

Hi Paladin,

Do you know…   is not an assertion.

Or do you know   …”IS” an assertion!
    This implies that if you do not answer, you do not know.
    Surely you can see that YOUR question
    (or do you know) IS AN ASSERTION!

Is this a test?   …you really do believe the connection alludes me!   …no?
    Jesus death on the cross cures the fiery serpents bite, when we look to him.

God bless

Paladin
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Aug. 10 2011,22:00)

Hi Paladin,

Huh?

God bless

Bump for Paladin

Paladin,

As you and Ed both are aware, the people had to react to the serpent of brass. Just acknowledgeing its presence was insufficient to undo the effects of the serpent bites, which were killing people. The person bitten had to go to the center of the camp and gaze upon the serpent, thus fully acknowledging first, that it came from God, and second, that it served as an efficacious tool in the hands of God.

As you both are aware also, it became a source for idolatry to the offspring of those same Israelites, when they took that serpent of brass, gave it a name (Nehushtan) and considered
    it an object of worship. They forgot the first-cause of its being and defiled what God had brought to pass.

So also, Christ was lifted up, so that all Christians are to approach to where the cross is, and lift up our eyes in faith, believing in the efficacious ability of the crucified Christ to effect our salvation; trusting in the resurrected Jesus as our example of fulfilled trust in that sacrifice and the redemptive work of God.

The Holy Spirit of God inspired the writers of old to introduce a concept, trust in a work of God (Nehushtan) in the redemptive proccess, and trust in the crucified Christ in the recemptive proccess.

” And as Moses lifted up the serpent (Nehushtan) in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”[Jn 3:14-16]

Pastry
    Participant

Paladin! You make it sound like that the cross is the object of our salvation, which it is not…..It is Jesus blood, the ransom of His life…..

Mar 10:45 For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

1Ti 2:6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

Luk 22:20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup [is] the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

And by Faith in Jesus we are saved

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:

Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Peace and Love Irene

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Thank you for that insight, Paladin. I, for one, had never made that connection. It seems that, just like the Israelites with the brass serpent, many today want to take the “savior” that God GAVE and make it into God Himself.

But are you saying that Christians must PHYSICALLY come to where the cross was in order to be saved?

Sincerely,
    mike

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Aug. 11 2011,09:03)

But what you are asking us to believe is that Jesus was NOT as SEED after OUR HUMAN KIND but a KIND that existed outside of HUMAN KIND.  So it become incumbent upon you to explain to us HOW that WORKS MIKE.

Hi Gene,

I am truly enjoying this discussion.  Do you remember John the Baptizer saying, “I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham”?  (Matthew 3:9)

Do you agree that if God could raise up HUMAN children of Abraham out of stones, then He could also raise one up out of a spirit being?  Or do you contend that this would be impossible for God?

But before moving on we must establish Jesus' progeny, you must produce your proof of His preexistence by activity of some kind , a name or being of some kind.

Actually Gene, this exercise was supposed to be for YOU to show US scriptures that clearly prohibit the pre-existence of Jesus.  But here are just two of the many scriptures that answer to your point:

Proverbs 30:4
    Who has gone up to heaven and come down?
      Who has gathered up the wind in the hollow of his hands?
    Who has wrapped up the waters in his cloak?
      Who has established all the ends of the earth?
    What is his name, and the name of his son?

This scripture shows that way before Jesus emptied himself and was made in the likeness of a human being, God already had a son.  Do you agree?

Hebrews 1:2
    but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the ages.

And this scripture shows activity of the pre-existent Son of God.  Do you agree?

Now i can show you clearly where Jesus was the Progeny of  both EVE who is said to be the Mother of ALL LIVING Human beings and also the progeny of  Abraham, Jesse and KING DAVID.

And I can show you where Jesus is not only the Branch of David and Jesse, but also the Root.  I can also show you where Jesus clearly said that he existed BEFORE Abraham.

So it seems in this particular case that both of us are speaking scriptural truth.  It's just that I'm taking ALL of the scriptures into account while you are taking only SOME of them into account.

peace,
    mike

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Quote (Paladin @ Aug. 13 2011,23:06)

As you and Ed both are aware, the people had to react to the serpent of brass. Just acknowledgeing its presence was insufficient to undo the effects of the serpent bites, which were killing people. The person bitten had to go to the center of the camp and gaze upon the serpent, thus fully acknowledging first, that it came from God, and second, that it served as an efficacious tool in the hands of God.

As you both are aware also, it became a source for idolatry to the offspring of those same Israelites, when they took that serpent of brass, gave it a name (Nehushtan) and considered
    it an object of worship. They forgot the first-cause of its being and defiled what God had brought to pass.

So also, Christ was lifted up, so that all Christians are to approach to where the cross is, and lift up our eyes in faith, believing in the efficacious ability of the crucified Christ to effect our salvation; trusting in the resurrected Jesus as our example of fulfilled trust in that sacrifice and the redemptive work of God.

The Holy Spirit of God inspired the writers of old to introduce a concept, trust in a work of God (Nehushtan) in the redemptive proccess, and trust in the crucified Christ in the recemptive proccess.

” And as Moses lifted up the serpent (Nehushtan) in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”[Jn 3:14-16][/quote]

Paladin, Another Excellent Post brother, i never associated this as you brought it out, makes perfect sense,  good Job Brother.

peace and love to you and yours…………………………gene

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

MIke…………I am going to slow this down a little……….Let focus on the Prophesy of Jesse…….Now who was the root of Jesse?, you seem to imply Jesse was Jesus' root, bit scripture shows it the other way around Jesus was the root of Jesse.

Isa 11:1………> And there shall come forth a rod (OUT OF the STEM OF JESSE) and a (BRANCH SHALL GROW OUT OF HIS ROOTS)> 2…> AND THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD SHALL REST UPON HIM, the spirit (intellect) of wisdom, the Spirit (intellect) of understanding , the Spirit (intellect) of counsel, and might, the Spirit (intellect) of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD, 13 ….> and He (SHALL MAKE HIM) ( future tense, another word he was not before this Making Happened) of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD: and he (Jesus) shall (NOT) judge after the sight of (HIS EYES) ( but the seven Spirits of GOD as shown in REVELATIONS) , neither reprove after the hearing of (HIS) ears.

Isa 11:9…..> They shall not hurt, nor destory in all my holy mountain (nation) : for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the water cover the sea. 10….> And in (THAT DAY) there shall be a Root of Jesse , which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to (IT) shall the Gentiles seek: and HIS Shall be Glorious. 11…..> And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall set his hand again the second time to recover the remnant of his people……………>Mike, this is all talking about a future prophecy concerning Jesus and does not show any Preexistent Jesus at all. And also notice Jesus is this Root or decedent of Jesse. IMO

peace and love………………..gene

Viewing 20 posts - 2,141 through 2,160 (of 3,216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account