Worship God the Father only?

Viewing 20 posts - 661 through 680 (of 2,142 total)
  • Author
    Lightenup
    Participant

that it is neither possible for us ever to forsake Christ, who suffered for the salvation of such as shall be saved throughout the whole world (the blameless one for sinners465465 This clause is omitted by Eusebius: it was probably interpolated by some transcriber, who had in his mind 1 Pet. iii. 18. ), nor to worship any other. For Him indeed, as being the Son of God, we adore; but the martyrs, as disciples and followers of the Lord, we worthily love on account of their extraordinary466466 Literally, “unsurpassable.” affection towards their own King and Master, of whom may we also be made companions467467 Literally, “fellow-partakers.” and fellow-disciples!

The situation is Polycarp (disciple of John with Ignatius) was burned alive and stabbed to death. The ones that put him to death did not want the believer's to have his body, lest they would worship Polycarp also as well as Christ and so they did not want to give them the body. The believer's response was:

…that it is neither possible for us ever to forsake Christ, who suffered for the salvation of such as shall be saved throughout the whole world, nor to worship any other. For Him indeed, as being the Son of God, we adore; but the martyrs, as disciples and followers of the Lord, we worthily love on account of their extraordinary affection towards their own King and Master, of whom may we also be made companions and fellow-disciples!

I took out the extra stuff so that it would read more clearly.

This story was very interesting…found here: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.iv.iv.xvii.html
    Go back to read the beginning of the story found here:

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.iv.iv.xii.html

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (Lightenup @ Aug. 04 2010,14:38)

Hi Kathi,

Yeah, that helped. Do you think that “worship” could mean “hold in the highest reverence” with the exception of the God who's SON they are holding in high esteem?

See if you can find any of them “praying” to Jesus as God.

I've got more…..check my responce to WJ in the “pre-existent” thread.

peace and love,
    mike

davidbfun
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Aug. 08 2010,09:57)

Hi Kathi,

Yeah, that helped.  Do you think that “worship” could mean “hold in the highest reverence” with the exception of the God who's SON they are holding in high esteem?

peace and love,
    mike

Hello Mike and Kathi,

Good background information given….thanks.

Phl 2:9 For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name,
    Phl 2:10 so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth,  
    Phl 2:11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

1Ti 2:5 For there is “one God”, and “one mediator” also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
    1Ti 2:6 who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the testimony given at the proper time.

Is not our “worship” (every knee shall bow) of Jesus mandated by God?  And when we glorify God's son are we not glorifying God and doing what God wanted?

That is why in another Thread I asked “Who” are we to be witnesses for? YHVH or Jesus?

Jhn 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but “through Me”.

We don't worship the Holy Spirit because the Holy Spirit is inside of us.  

Jesus directed worship to: “the Father” when he talked to Satan, but that was BEFORE his work was completed.  After he finished his mission the Father redirected the attention (worship) to His beloved son in whom He is well pleased….and we go to the Father thru His son.  Why else have a mediator?

Keep up the good research, brings to light different perspectives.

The Professor

davidbfun
    Participant

Quote (karmarie @ July 12 2010,23:17)
    Ja, what is worship?  

Quote..”Worship (PROSKUNEO) is a conscious glorification of God flowing from an inner attitude of lowly submission to His authority and awe at His majesty. This glorification can be expressed by prostration and by words. Since God can hear the thoughts of the heart, the words do not have to be audible.
    “The basic meaning of the word for 'worship' (PROSKUNEO) is to express, by words or by bowing down, profound and submissive respect or adoration.”,,unquote

“Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.” (Rom 12:1)

“The hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for such the Father seeks to worship him.  God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”

Most would think this to mean a time such as today, where people by the millions pack into churches, sing, worship, praise, but there are some who dont do that. Who instead do as Jesus said  “But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you”.
    So with their hearts they 'pray love adore'  when 'out of the room' they follow honour obey and serve God.

Nick said

“Do you hear denominations speak of worshiping God in your heart?
    Not likely as it diminishes the power they wield over their adherents.”

And because then there would be no need for a church a building, they would 'lose alot of customers' Its not good for business or pride or holding onto buildings, or holding onto a position gained. They need to keep them there (They dont want an empty church)  ” in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.'

Karmarie,

This is one of your most insgihtful and profound posts, thanks!

The Professor

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (davidbfun @ Aug. 08 2010,02:26)
    Is not our “worship” (every knee shall bow) of Jesus mandated by God?  And when we glorify God's son are we not glorifying God and doing what God wanted?

Hi David,

The word for worship is “proskuneo” in the Greek.  The LXX is the Greek translation of the Hebrew scriptures.  In 2 Samuel 1, a man comes to David and bows before him.  The LXX translates what this man did as “proskuneo”.

Are we to think this man was “worshipping” King David as God?  Of course not.  So why would we think we should worship a different king in the line of David as God?

Bow down and show reverrence………absolutely.  But give to Jesus the same “worship” that Jesus himself says should be reserved only for the one Jesus calls “our God and his God”……….No way Jose.

When Jesus tells Satan, “It is written, you are to worship and serve the Lord your God only”, that is Jesus quoting Moses quoting God.

That's three very good reasons to obey.

peace and love,
    mike

shimmer
    Participant

Quote (davidbfun @ Aug. 08 2010,04:18)

Ja, what is worship?  

Quote..”Worship (PROSKUNEO) is a conscious glorification of God flowing from an inner attitude of lowly submission to His authority and awe at His majesty. This glorification can be expressed by prostration and by words. Since God can hear the thoughts of the heart, the words do not have to be audible.
    “The basic meaning of the word for 'worship' (PROSKUNEO) is to express, by words or by bowing down, profound and submissive respect or adoration.”,,unquote

“Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.” (Rom 12:1)

“The hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for such the Father seeks to worship him.  God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”

Most would think this to mean a time such as today, where people by the millions pack into churches, sing, worship, praise, but there are some who dont do that. Who instead do as Jesus said  “But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you”.
    So with their hearts they 'pray love adore'  when 'out of the room' they follow honour obey and serve God.

Nick said

And because then there would be no need for a church a building, they would 'lose alot of customers' Its not good for business or pride or holding onto buildings, or holding onto a position gained. They need to keep them there (They dont want an empty church)  ” in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.'

Karmarie,

The Professor

Thank you David, ha, told you I used to post here !

davidbfun
    Participant

Quote (shimmer @ Aug. 09 2010,06:41)

Ja, what is worship?  

Nick said

Karmarie,

The Professor

Hey Shimmer,

Super!  Gracias.

I liked the way you used “Knowledge”, “Counsel”,  “Understanding” and finally “Wisdom” as it was filled with “Power”, bringing an awe to our Awesome God who is worthy of our worship and so much more..

The Professor

Lightenup
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Aug. 07 2010,09:57)

Hi Kathi,

Yeah, that helped.  Do you think that “worship” could mean “hold in the highest reverence” with the exception of the God who's SON they are holding in high esteem?

peace and love,
    mike

Hi Mike,

Here is more of the story of Polycarp's martyrdom which I have taken out numbers, editor notes, etc. to help it read easier:

But when the adversary of the race of the righteous, the envious, malicious, and wicked one, perceived the impressive nature of his martyrdom, and [considered] the blameless life he had led from the beginning, and how he was now crowned with the wreath of immortality, having beyond dispute received his reward, he did his utmost that not the least memorial of him (Polycarp) should be taken away by us, although many desired to do this, and to become possessors. of his holy flesh. For this end he suggested it to Nicetes, the father of Herod and brother of Alce, to go and entreat the governor not to give up his body to be buried, “lest,” said he, “forsaking Him that was crucified, they begin to worship this one.” This he said at the suggestion and urgent persuasion of the Jews, who also watched us, as we sought to take him out of the fire, being ignorant of this, that it is neither possible for us ever to forsake Christ, who suffered for the salvation of such as shall be saved throughout the whole world, nor to worship any other. For Him indeed, as being the Son of God, we adore; but the martyrs, as disciples and followers of the Lord, we worthily love on account of their extraordinary affection towards their own King and Master, of whom may we also be made companions and fellow-disciples!

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.iv.iv.xvii.html

To answer your question. I believe they worshiped Jesus as the Son of God to the glory of the Father and that was inclusive of their worship of the Father. Like Davidbfun basically said.

Lightenup
    Participant

Quote (davidbfun @ Aug. 07 2010,10:26)

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Aug. 08 2010,09:57)

Hi Kathi,

peace and love,
    mike

Hello Mike and Kathi,

Good background information given….thanks.

Phl 2:9 For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name,
    Phl 2:10 so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth,  
    Phl 2:11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

1Ti 2:5 For there is “one God”, and “one mediator” also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
    1Ti 2:6 who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the testimony given at the proper time.

That is why in another Thread I asked “Who” are we to be witnesses for? YHVH or Jesus?

Jhn 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but “through Me”.

We don't worship the Holy Spirit because the Holy Spirit is inside of us.  

Jesus directed worship to: “the Father” when he talked to Satan, but that was BEFORE his work was completed.  After he finished his mission the Father redirected the attention (worship) to His beloved son in whom He is well pleased….and we go to the Father thru His son.  Why else have a mediator?

Keep up the good research, brings to light different perspectives.

The Professor

Thanks David and I agree. We worship the Father through the Son. I am glad to agree with you here.

shimmer
    Participant

Quote (davidbfun @ Aug. 09 2010,00:16)

Ja, what is worship?  

Nick said

Karmarie,

The Professor

Hey Shimmer,

Super!  Gracias.

I liked the way you used “Knowledge”, “Counsel”,  “Understanding” and finally “Wisdom” as it was filled with “Power”, bringing an awe to our Awesome God who is worthy of our worship and so much more..

The Professor

Thank you for your encouragement David,  It's good to have you on heaven net,

davidbfun
    Participant

Quote (shimmer @ Aug. 09 2010,19:31)

Ja, what is worship?  

Nick said

Karmarie,

The Professor

Hey Shimmer,

Super!  Gracias.

The Professor

Good Evening Ladies,

Ages ago I used to believe that because we worshipped Jesus that he was God, the Son, so I can understand why some others here want to do the same thing. It is hard to give up a lifetime of learning and indoctrination and church to believe in the truth of the Bible.

Then I understood that God “mandated” us to worship His son.  And because of the faith we place in Jesus it is easy to sing his praises and give him thanks and pray to him…as our Savior, as our Mediator, as our Creator, but not as our God…there is only one God.

I liked what Kathi said about Jesus being “Light” in the beginning….and that fits into God's glory that he had with God.  Adam and Eve, although they were naked could have been clothed in this same glory and light and lost it….

Some things the Bible seems to be clear on and other things we are to allow our spirits to flow freely and enjoy the freedom we have with God to discover……all that He gave us.

Lightenup
    Participant

Justin Martyr wrote that they reasonable worship Jesus because they have come to know that He is the Son of the True God and they give the Son second place and the spirit third place.

Chapter XIII.—Christians serve God rationally.
    What sober-minded man, then, will not acknowledge that we are not atheists, worshipping as we do the Maker of this universe, and declaring, as we have been taught, that He has no need of streams of blood and libations and incense; whom we praise to the utmost of our power by the exercise of prayer and thanksgiving for all things wherewith we are supplied, as we have been taught that the only honour that is worthy of Him is not to consume by fire what He has brought into being for our sustenance, but to use it for ourselves and those who need, and with gratitude to Him to offer thanks by invocations and hymns17821782 πομπὰς καὶ ὕμνους. “Grabe, and it should seem correctly, understands πομπὰς to be solemn prayers. … He also remarks, that the ὕμνοι were either psalms of David, or some of those psalms and songs made by the primitive Christians, which are mentioned in Eusebius, H. E., v. 28.” —Trollope. for our creation, and for all the means of health, and for the various qualities of the different kinds of things, and for the changes of the seasons; and to present before Him petitions for our existing again in incorruption through faith in Him. Our teacher of these things is Jesus Christ, who also was born for this purpose, and was crucified under Pontius Pilate, procurator of Judæa, in the times of Tiberius Cæsar; and that we reasonably worship Him, having learned that He is the Son of the true God Himself, and holding Him in the second place, and the prophetic Spirit in the third, we will prove. For they proclaim our madness to consist in this, that we give to a crucified man a place second to the unchangeable and eternal God, the Creator of all; for they do not discern the mystery that is herein, to which, as we make it plain to you, we pray you to give heed.

from: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.viii.ii.xiii.html

shimmer
    Participant

Quote (davidbfun @ Aug. 09 2010,12:49)

Quote (shimmer @ Aug. 09 2010,19:31)

Ja, what is worship?  

Nick said

Karmarie,

The Professor

Hey Shimmer,

Super!  Gracias.

The Professor

Good Evening Ladies,

Ages ago I used to believe that because we worshipped Jesus that he was God, the Son, so I can understand why some others here want to do the same thing. It is hard to give up a lifetime of learning and indoctrination and church to believe in the truth of the Bible.

Then I understood that God “mandated” us to worship His son.  And because of the faith we place in Jesus it is easy to sing his praises and give him thanks and pray to him…as our Savior, as our Mediator, as our Creator, but not as our God…there is only one God.

I liked what Kathi said about Jesus being “Light” in the beginning….and that fits into God's glory that he had with God.  Adam and Eve, although they were naked could have been clothed in this same glory and light and lost it….

Some things the Bible seems to be clear on and other things we are to allow our spirits to flow freely and enjoy the freedom we have with God to discover……all that He gave us.

Sorry DavidbFun, I missed this,

You did ? ok, I used to think Jesus was God, and that was all there was, it's what I was told.

So, do you get into worship, hands in the air, singing out loud with people, eyes closed, talking in strange tongues etc, I never have. Am I wrong ?

To me, it's more personal,

I completly agree with that, well said. :)

davidbfun
    Participant

Hi Shimmer,

I've tried about everything with many different churches…including the hands in the air, speaking in tongues, laying on of hands.  Never raised the dead, yet! Or played with serpents or poison.  :)

Which way is wrong?  Not worshiping God from your HEART, and putting on a “show” for others and going along with the crowd.  

Internally I am more quiet and “cerebrum” and even when I went to a rock concert I ddidn't go overboard….so my current form of worship is praying, reading the Bible, Sunday fasts and trying to keep my mind, heart and energy focused on God, His son and getting people to accept Jesus as their Savior and receive the Holy Spirit who is the pledge of promise.

I believe the Holy Spirit guides me each day, and I enjoy listening to psalms and songs of praise with the Maranatha Singers.

When I “preach” I don't scream out I give the message.  I prefer small groups or one-on-one so that I know that what I am saying is understood….and is in and from the Bible.

shimmer
    Participant

Hi DavidbFun,

Really ? Iv never done that, even though I was raised in Churches, Baptist and Catholic, but you know Catholics, they don't really do that sort of thing.

My form of 'worship' is –  loving God, thinking of God, speaking with God, speaking about God, asking Him, trusting Him, learning of Him and of His son Jesus and of the Holy Spirit . ….Amazement at what God has created and what God can do when you trust in Him.

Which way is wrong? Not worshiping God from your HEART, and putting on a “show” for others and going along with the crowd.

I agree, well said.

davidbfun
    Participant

Quote (shimmer @ Sep. 02 2010,06:47)
    Hi DavidbFun,

Really ? Iv never done that, even though I was raised in Churches, Baptist and Catholic, but you know Catholics, they don't really do that sort of thing.

My form of 'worship' is –  loving God, thinking of God, speaking with God, speaking about God, asking Him, trusting Him, learning of Him and of His son Jesus and of the Holy Spirit . ….Amazement at what God has created and what God can do when you trust in Him.

Which way is wrong? Not worshiping God from your HEART, and putting on a “show” for others and going along with the crowd.

I agree, well said.

Shimmer,

I think your way is perfect…loving God with your heart, mind, soul and strength….is the way I read your response.

I believe the HS is there for you when you decide to serve others to help them to accept God thru Jesus….as well as lifting up and praying for other believers, the HS is there. How else would Jesus answer our prayers but thru the HS?

Whatever you ask in Jesus' name will be done for you. How? Thru the HS.

This is when “faith” takes hold of your beliefs……and you reach out…..the HS is the vanguard and will guide your spirit in what to do.

shimmer
    Participant

Hi DavidbFun,

I used to pray, and I would always be humble sort of in my prayer, I learned alot off Muslims, I would pray and enter into this unreal peace and calm, and feel really good, and then I would rise from prayer and I just felt like this energy like I wanted to dance or something lol, then I started getting too involved in other things (here on this forum) confusion is NEVER good, I also listened to music on my laptop with headphones, none of the music was good (modern stuff) so I found I lost all that I had, it's so easy to do, the last time I had family issues which came up and I thought more of those problems than of God, same thing.

So, it's important to clean up our lives and get back on track, I hope to return to what I had (and no, I have no music playing tonight) its all deleted !

shimmer
    Participant

Also, DavidbFun, you said..

Whatever you ask in Jesus' name will be done for you.  How?  Thru the HS.

I believe strongly in this, I also believe it has to do with faith, the minute you doubt…..doubt is a problem, and in the end it's about submitting to the will of God not our own will, as Jesus did.

JustAskin
    Participant

Shimmer,
    This is very accurate. It is indeed to do with Faith. Also, when we ask in Jesus' name we are asking under no delusion – or illusion of self – (the 'selfish me') of impossible requests (E.g. In Jesus' name please make me rich; Oh, and also stop all worlds wars; and, and… please help Granny Smith to pick her apples this year without getting sour about it. The gravity of the situation was brought into stark reality when one landed on her head – if we hadn't held her down she would have bounded off into space with rocket fury – as it was we had to move her to a new town to stay with her son Isaac – a friend of Stu -pot who Invented “the law of Attractiveness” – why do all the ugly men get all the pulling power?)

RokkaMan
    Participant

When you say you love cookies, does it mean you love cookies more than God?

Nope, unless you worship cookies more than you do your God.

Jesus Christ should never be worshipped as YHVH The Father.

He is the reflection of YHVH as clearly stated in the bible.

Therefore it'd be wise to worship the reflector and not the reflected.

————–

IMO I believe Jesus should be worshipped and praised for who he is…and that is The Son of God… nothing more nothing less.

————–

The next question is to ask, “what does it mean to be the son of God”

It means that Jesus is in everyway just like God.

Does that mean he is God?

it can seem so, but we are to understand that he CAME FROM the one true God that is YHVH our Father.

————–

and we are to bow to only him.

I do agree Jesus can be bowed to and worshipped…but for WHO HE IS, and not to be adored as YHVH The Father.

I also believe you can pray to Jesus and ask what you will of him, because praying to him would be praying to YHVH.

Glorifying him would be glorifying YHVH.

Loving him, would be loving YHVH…

why?

because Jesus is YHVH reflected unto creation.

To love any quality or attribute of Jesus would be to love EVERY quality or attribute of YHVH himself.

it is just important to reserve space in your brain that Jesus CAME FROM YHVH The Father and that he, YHVH, is the one true God in which all things came from… including Jesus.

Viewing 20 posts - 661 through 680 (of 2,142 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account