JOHN 1:1 who is the WORD?

Viewing 20 posts - 18,581 through 18,600 (of 25,926 total)
  • Author
    kerwin
    Participant

t8,

I disagree with Nick on the when but it is clear that ever since the Word has taken on the qualities of humanity Jesus Christ has been the word.

Nevertheless it is assumed that Revelations 19:11-19 is speaking of Jesus but since it is symbolic we cannot be sure as it may actually be talking about God’s word. As God’s Word has taken on the qualities if Jesus Christ I do not see where there is a real difference unless you confuse that actual word of God with Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the human that has been glorified by being united with the word of God.

Note that the figure is also called Faithful and True. All three names are telling us what he is and not who he is because that is not important to the message of those verses.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,

The words I speak to you, they are spirit and they are life.

Faith comes by hearing, hearing the word of God.

Yet men exalt the written record.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit is saying to the churches.

Do you have an ear or are you solely reliant on your eyes?

Proclaimer
    Participant

Hi t8 ,

Jesus Christ is now the Word of God.

From the jordan.

Scripture and verse please.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Love is patient, love is kind.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Nevertheless it is assumed that Revelations 19:11-19 is speaking of Jesus but since it is symbolic we cannot be sure as it may actually be talking about God’s word. As God’s Word has taken on the qualities if Jesus Christ I do not see where there is a real difference unless you confuse that actual word of God with Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the human that has been glorified by being united with the word of God.

Note that the figure is also called Faithful and True. All three names are telling us what he is and not who he is because that is not important to the message of those verses.

First off, names do identify persons, so they are applied to who. And they have meaning so yes they also have a ‘what’ component.

He is a king, but his name is not ‘king’ (what). His name is the Word of God (who and what).

If asked who are you, you would likely reply with your name or one of your names.

However, just to throw something out there, if Peter was a rock/stone, then is that who he was or what he was. Was he really a stone, or is it that his personality traits were like the ‘what’ meaning the ‘who’. After all, can we say, “what is Peter?”, “he is a stone”. Or do we say, “who is Peter”, he is a man like a stone”. Like I said, I just threw that out there. Haven’t given it much thought so it could be riddled with mistakes.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Further, the Logos in John 1:1 has a definite article in all instances. And to add more to that, the Word was also WITH God.

This wording and construction is purposeful.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi t8,

How do you think the sentence structure impacts on the spiritual meaning again?

kerwin
    Participant

Nick,

Hi KW,

The words I speak to you, they are spirit and they are life.

Faith comes by hearing, hearing the word of God.

Yet men exalt the written record.

That means faith is based on evidence with the word being the evidence.

kerwin
    Participant

t8,

The wording and sentence structure is purposeful.

I am well aware that the definite article is used before logos but I have no idea why you believe that proves it is a name and not the actual word that is being spoken about.

kerwin
    Participant

t8,

The Jews used names differently than many of us do and so they are not meaningless noises but a comments on the person who bears them.

Given that Revelations is the word and not Jesus then it is a personification and the role of King of Kings and Lord of Lords is a description of its relationship. Philo called the Logos the archangel to reveal it role as the ruler of angels even though it is not an actual archangel.

It could be the Spirit as everything fits it as well. That changes nothing as Jesus was the first human to walk according to the Spirit and the way by which others do so they are essentially inseparable. It could also be God himself and that may be the most biblical way to look at it since he said that he alone saves. (Psalms 62:1 in some versions).

The Word, Jesus, the Spirit, and God are all interrelated and all in unity to one another. They are inseparable.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,

Faith is based on evidence? heb 11 1-3

Faith comes from hearing and hearing the Word of God.

Unless you hear the voice of the  Spirit of God you cannot walk in faith.

kerwin
    Participant

Nick,

I see no error in those words.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,

The Spirit is the teacher.

Echoes and resonances are found in the written word.

Without the Teacher reliance just on  the written word can be misleading for the immature.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Admin.
    kerwin
    Participant

Nick,

Yes.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,

The logos was with God in the beginning.

Jesus was yet to be conceived.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,

By the time of 1jn1 Jesus had become the Word.

Jesus Christ.

The carpenter of Nazareth had been anointed from on high.

Proclaimer
    Participant

t8,

The wording and sentence structure is purposeful.

I am well aware that the definite article is used before logos but I have no idea why you believe that proves it is a name and not the actual word that is being spoken about.

Kerwin. Think for a minute. God is also preceded by the definite article.

So I turn your question to you:

I have no idea why you believe that proves it is a name and not an actual being.

And your question to me shows your complete ignorance on what I am teaching.

Please for everyone’s sake, read people’s posts before saying things that are not true. That is bearing false witness if you are doing it intentionally.

I do not teach that the Logos with God was not an actual being.

Please pay attention and be considerate.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Hi,

The logos was with God in the beginning.

Jesus was yet to be conceived.

Nick:

Did the Word become flesh?

Did Jesus come in the flesh?

Is Jesus called the Word of God?

Simple yes or no to each question will suffice for now.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Hi t8,

How do you think the sentence structure impacts on the spiritual meaning again?

The Logos is being identified rather than qualified as an attribute. Further it is WITH God.

In that simple opening verse of the Book of John, there are two witnesses about the nature of the Logos.

The following verses inextricably tie the Logos to Jesus.

Viewing 20 posts - 18,581 through 18,600 (of 25,926 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account