JOHN 1:1 who is the WORD?

Viewing 20 posts - 5,861 through 5,880 (of 25,907 total)
  • Author
    jammin
    Participant

John 1:1

Amplified Bible (AMP)
    John 1
    1IN THE beginning [before all time] was the Word ([a]Christ), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God Himself.

Wycliffe Bible (WYC)
    John 1
    1 In the beginning was the word, and the word was at God, and God was the word. [In the beginning was the word, that is, God's Son, and the word was at God, and God was the word.]

that's what the bible says. case closed

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (jammin @ April 10 2012,12:25)

Amplified Bible (AMP)
    John 1
    1IN THE beginning [before all time] was the Word ([a]Christ), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God Himself.

Wycliffe Bible (WYC)
    John 1
    1 In the beginning was the word, and the word was at God, and God was the word. [In the beginning was the word, that is, God's Son, and the word was at God, and God was the word.]

Jammin,

You sound like a deceiver that has been deceived because you fear to pull your  head out of the sand and look.  Get over your fear and seek God while he can be found.

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ April 10 2012,11:30)

Quote (kerwin @ April 10 2012,23:12)

Quote (terraricca @ April 10 2012,08:04)

Quote (kerwin @ April 10 2012,19:36)

Quote (mikeboll64 @ April 10 2012,07:08)
    The Word that was with God and was a god became flesh and had the glory of the only begotten Son of God that he was.

John said these words………………

the one who comes after me, I'm not fit to untie the thongs of his sandals

…………..about TWO people in John 1.  One of them was called “the Word”, and the other was called “Jesus”.

Were they really TWO persons?  Or could it be that the Word and Jesus are one and the same person?

Mike,

Consider that John was personifying the Word of God knowing God, Jesus, the Spirit were all vessels or the source of the Word.  It is the personification John writes of and not directly Jesus.  He indirectly teaches of Jesus as soon as the Word becomes Jesus; which is to say flesh.  He is not downplaying the role of Jesus, but instead emphasizing the role of God's Word.

K

were are you getting all those dreams ???

you call things based on what ???

you know John's mind ,God's mind and the WORD OF GOD ,

this needs an explanation and it as to be true

Pierre,

Tell me what a personification is.  If you not know then please look  it up and perhaps you can improve your communications.  Thank you!

John is in his word.

K

You still wrong in your explanation,

Now for your info: mainly all English words ending in ION ARE OF FRENCH ORIGIN so I would understand them ,

Pierre,

Then you know that inanimate objects and abstract ideas can be given the characteristics of living creatures to communicate various things.

Frank4YAHWEH
    Participant

Quote (jammin @ April 10 2012,17:25)

Amplified Bible (AMP)
    John 1

Wycliffe Bible (WYC)
    John 1

jammin,

Following is the ORIGINAL translation of Yahchanan [John] 1:1 done by John Wycliff

CAP 1
    1 In the bigynnyng was the word, and the word was at God, and God was the word.
    SOURCE

As one can clearly see, the so-called “translation” that you provided as follows is merely an edited version of John Wycliff's ORIGINAL TRANSLATION:

Wycliffe Bible (WYC)
    John 1

One can clearly see that the following is merely an ADDED private interpretive embellishment which was placed in brackets to make this known and which was done by a later editor of John Wycliff's translation work.

[In the beginning was the word, that is, God's Son, and the word was at God, and God was the word.]

So, my stance that there in no translation that says “the word is the son” still stands and you have yet to produce an accurate translation done by an actual translator that in ACTUALITY SAYS this.

FYI, there is a clear warning in Scripture about ADDING unto or taking away from Father Yahweh's inspired prophetic word. One such warning is given Revelation 22:18-19 as follows:

I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone ADDS ANYTHING to them, Yahweh will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, Yahweh will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the set apart city, which are described in this book (Revelation 22:18-19).

WHO IS THE WORD?

Frank4YAHWEH
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ April 11 2012,08:48)

The Word that was with God and was a god became flesh and had the glory of the only begotten Son of God that he was.

…………..about TWO people in John 1.  One of them was called “the Word”, and the other was called “Jesus”.

Were they really TWO persons?  Or could it be that the Word and Jesus are one and the same person?

Mike,

Consider that John was personifying the Word of God knowing God, Jesus, the Spirit were all vessels or the source of the Word.  It is the personification John writes of and not directly Jesus.  He indirectly teaches of Jesus as soon as the Word becomes Jesus; which is to say flesh.  He is not downplaying the role of Jesus, but instead emphasizing the role of God's Word.

K

Pierre,

Tell me what a personification is.  If you not know then please look  it up and perhaps you can improve your communications.  Thank you!

John is in his word.

K

Now for your info: mainly all English words ending in ION ARE OF FRENCH ORIGIN so I would understand them ,

Pierre,

Then you know that inanimate objects and abstract ideas can be given the characteristics of living creatures to communicate various things.

According to Dictionary.com personified means:

per⋅son⋅i⋅fy
      /pərˈsɒnəˌfaɪ/ [per-son-uh-fahy]
    -verb (used with object), -fied, -fy⋅ing. 1. to attribute human nature or character to (an inanimate object or an abstraction), as in speech or writing. 2. to represent (a thing or abstraction) in the form of a person, as in art. 3. to embody (a quality, idea, etc.) in a real person or a concrete thing. 4. to be an embodiment or incarnation of; typify: He personifies the ruthless ambition of some executives. 5. to personate.

per·son·i·fy (pər-sŏn'ə-fī') tr.v. per·son·i·fied, per·son·i·fy·ing, per·son·i·fies

1. To think of or represent (an inanimate object or abstraction) as having personality or the qualities, thoughts, or movements of a living being: “To make history or psychology alive I personify it” (Anaïs Nin).
      2. To represent (an object or abstraction) by a human figure.
      3. To represent (an abstract quality or idea): This character personifies evil.
      4. To be the embodiment or perfect example of: “Stalin now personified bolshevism in the eyes of the world” (A.J.P. Taylor).

And according to The Free Dictionary personified means:

per·son·i·fy (pr-sn-f)
    tr.v. per·son·i·fied, per·son·i·fy·ing, per·son·i·fies1. To think of or represent (an inanimate object or abstraction) as having personality or the qualities, thoughts, or movements of a living being: “To make history or psychology alive I personify it” Anaïs Nin.
    4. To be the embodiment or perfect example of: “Stalin now personified bolshevism in the eyes of the world” A.J.P. Taylor.

Also see:

personification

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (Frank4YAHWEH @ April 11 2012,04:24)

Quote (kerwin @ April 11 2012,08:48)

Mike,

K

Pierre,

John is in his word.

K

Pierre,

According to Dictionary.com personified means:

per⋅son⋅i⋅fy
      /pərˈsɒnəˌfaɪ/ [per-son-uh-fahy]
    -verb (used with object), -fied, -fy⋅ing. 1. to attribute human nature or character to (an inanimate object or an abstraction), as in speech or writing. 2. to represent (a thing or abstraction) in the form of a person, as in art. 3. to embody (a quality, idea, etc.) in a real person or a concrete thing. 4. to be an embodiment or incarnation of; typify: He personifies the ruthless ambition of some executives. 5. to personate.

per·son·i·fy (pər-sŏn'ə-fī') tr.v. per·son·i·fied, per·son·i·fy·ing, per·son·i·fies

1. To think of or represent (an inanimate object or abstraction) as having personality or the qualities, thoughts, or movements of a living being: “To make history or psychology alive I personify it” (Anaïs Nin).
      4. To be the embodiment or perfect example of: “Stalin now personified bolshevism in the eyes of the world” (A.J.P. Taylor).

And according to The Free Dictionary personified means:

per·son·i·fy (pr-sn-f)
    tr.v. per·son·i·fied, per·son·i·fy·ing, per·son·i·fies1. To think of or represent (an inanimate object or abstraction) as having personality or the qualities, thoughts, or movements of a living being: “To make history or psychology alive I personify it” Anaïs Nin.
    4. To be the embodiment or perfect example of: “Stalin now personified bolshevism in the eyes of the world” A.J.P. Taylor.

Also see:

personification

Frank,

What are your thoughts on the matter?

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (kerwin @ April 09 2012,19:36)
    He indirectly teaches of Jesus as soon as the Word becomes Jesus;

And who was the Word BEFORE he became Jesus?

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 09 2012,21:14)

Quote (mikeboll64 @ April 10 2012,12:08)

Hi MB,
    Two persons?
    The Spirit is not a person.

Nick,

John the Baptist said those same words about two………….THINGS, if you're not happy with “persons”.

One of the THINGS he said those words about was called “the Word”.  The other THING was called “Jesus”.

Now, did John say the same words about TWO DIFFERENT THINGS?  Or are those words said about the same THING, which was known by two different NAMES?

Nick, you said, The Spirit is not a person.  How then, ACCORDING TO YOUR DOCTRINE, does it have it's own will, that it did not come to earth to do?  (John 6:38)

Proclaimer
    Participant

If Jesus is not the Word of God, then when the Word became flesh it means that Jesus is nothing but a shell of flesh.
    Which is unfortunate, because we are souls and he is but mere flesh.

And cursed is the man that trusts in flesh.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ April 11 2012,17:26)
    If Jesus is not the Word of God, then when the Word became flesh it means that Jesus is nothing but a shell of flesh.

t8

good point

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ April 09 2012,21:49)

Quote (mikeboll64 @ April 01 2012,19:29)
    It is Jesus and his Father who dwell in us VIA spirit.  But if Jesus says HE will make his abode in us, then it means JESUS via spirit.  It doesn't mean the spirit OF Jesus.

Will you answer the question?

WJ

Just as soon as you address the rest of my post, Keith.

The scenario put to me by Kerwin and Nick is that Jesus was not the Word himself, but the Word is the spirit of the anointing, which came to dwell within the regular old human being, Jesus, and can likewise dwell equally within any of us. They say this is what is meant when “the spirit of Christ” dwells in us. They say that just as the “spirit of anointing” dwelled in Jesus (the regular old human being just like the rest of us), that spirit can also dwell in us. In other words, they are taking Jesus out of the picture, and inferring that it is a spirit sent from God (which was first sent to Jesus) that indwells us, and that it really has nothing to do with the PERSON of Jesus at all.

Do you agree with this?

jammin
    Participant

frank,

sorry but the bible says that the word in john 1.1 is the son of GOD
    no version that says that the word is the father.

make your own version LOL

Frank4YAHWEH
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ April 11 2012,10:26)

Soul Talk
    Ángel Manuel Rodríguez

Please discuss the meaning of the word “soul” in the Bible. What does it designate?

The Hebrew term nephesh in the Old Testament and the Greek psuche in the New Testament are sometimes translated “soul,” but they both mean “life, person.” The different uses of those two words help us to obtain a better understanding of the biblical view of human nature. The confusion we face concerning the nature of the “soul” is because of the introduction of the Greek idea of the immortality of the “soul” into Christian doctrine.
         1. The Hebrew meaning of nephesh: In the Old Testament the term nephesh is used in a concrete way to refer to the throat as it relates to breathing and eating (gullet). In Isaiah 5:14* the word nephesh is translated “appetite,” but it really means “throat” (see also Ps. 107:9, where “the thirsty” is literally “the dried-out throat” (nephesh). The throat is also the instrument of breathing (Jer. 15:9). The use of the word for the throat indicates that nephesh expresses the idea of life and desire, in this case for food and water. The other uses of “soul” appear to be derived from this more concrete one.
         2. The person as a being of desires: The need of the “soul” for food, water, and breath extends to include desires and emotions in general. In the Bible the “soul” designates the whole person as characterized by desires, wishes, even cravings. This emphasizes that humans are emotional beings. Proverbs states: “The laborer’s appetite [nephesh, desires, needs] works for him” (Prov. 16:26), that is to say, motivates him to work. The psalmist prays, “Do not turn me over to the desire [literally, “Do not give me up to the nephesh (desire, greed)] of my foes” (Ps. 27:12). Jesus said, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow,” that is to say, as an emotional being I am possessed by sorrow (Mark 14:34).
         3. The person as a living being: The need for air or breath allows for “soul” to be used in the sense of life. We find such phrases as “I took my life [nephesh] in my hands,” meaning I risked my life (Judges 12:3; cf. Phil. 2:30); enemies “seek my life,” or attempt to kill me (Ps. 35:4; cf. Matt. 2:20); “Your life [psuche] will be demanded from you” (Luke 12:20). “Soul” does not designate a part of human nature independent of the body, but the totality of the person as a living being (Gen. 2:7). In fact, “soul” is another way of saying “person” or “human being.” The Lord said, “The soul [nephesh, person] who sins is the one who will die” (Eze. 8:4). The church must contend “as one man [psuche, person] for the faith” (Phil. 1:27). The “soul,” as a human being, is fundamentally a self, an individual who can in fact die. “Soul” in the Old Testament refers not only to a living person (Gen. 2:7), but also to a dead person (Num. 5:2; Lev. 21:11).
         4. Grammatical use of “soul”: Since “soul” is used to refer to the person as a self, the term came to be used as a pronoun to designate a person. Abram asked Sarai to say that she was his sister in order that “my life [literally, “my soul,”] will be spared” (Gen. 12:13). The Hebrew way of saying “Let me live” (1 Kings 20:32) is “Let my soul live.” The phrase “that my soul may bless you before I die” (Gen. 27:4, NKJV) simply means “that I may bless you.”
         The word “soul” is not the best translation of the original Hebrew and Greek terms. In the Bible the “soul” is not immortal and cannot exist independent of the physical body. From the point of view of biblical anthropology (the study of human nature), the term “soul” expresses two main ideas. First, humans are by nature creatures of desires and ongings. Second, humans are living beings who eagerly seek to live but are unable to acquire or preserve life by themselves. “Soul” refers to the whole person in need of God, who is the only one who can preserve a human being or extinguish the self forever (Matt. 10:28). Therefore, nephesh/psuche refers to the totality of the person as a center of life, emotions, feelings, and longings that can be fully realized only in union with God.

*Unless otherwise noted, Bible texts are from the New International Version.

11/8/01

Copyright © Biblical Research Institute General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists®
    SOURCE

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi t8,
    The Word is of the Spirit.
    The Word is not the soul of a being
    We too should seek the Word to be made flesh in us.

Frank4YAHWEH
    Participant

Quote (jammin @ April 11 2012,10:44)
    frank,

jammin,

There is no translation of Scripture that says “the word in john 1.1 is the son of GOD.” I would also agree that there is no translation of Scripture that says “the word is the father.” Father Yahweh's word is just that, His word.

New International Version (©1984)
    He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me (Yahchanan [John] 14:24).

WHO IS THE WORD?

Frank4YAHWEH
    Participant

Quote (Frank4YAHWEH @ April 11 2012,11:05)

Quote (jammin @ April 11 2012,10:44)
    frank,

jammin,

There is no translation of Scripture that says “the word in john 1.1 is the son of GOD.” I would also agree that there is no translation of Scripture that says “the word is the father.” Father Yahweh's word is just that, His word.

New International Version (©1984)
    He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me (Yahchanan [John] 14:24).

WHO IS THE WORD?

“We declare to you what was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have looked at and touched with our hands, concerning the word of life– this life was revealed, and we have seen it and testify to it, and declare to you the eternal life that was with the Father and was revealed to us — we declare to you what we have seen and heard so that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His son Yahshua Messiah. We are writing these things so that our joy may be complete. This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that Yahweh is light and in Him there is no darkness at all. ” (1 Yahchanan [John] 1:1-5).

“In the beginning was the word, and the word was with Yahweh, and Yahweh was the word. This was in the beginning with Yahweh. All came into being through it, and apart from it not even one thing came into being which has come into being. In it was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light is appearing in the darkness, and the darkness grasped it not. And the word became flesh and tabernacles among us, and we gaze at his esteem, an esteem as of an only-begotten from the Father, full of favor and truth.” (Yahchanan [John] 1:1-5,14).

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi t8,
    The whole purpose of preaching is that the Word be made flesh throughout humanity.
    The body of Christ is built up as each soul repents

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 11 2012,17:59)

Hi t8,
    The Word is of the Spirit.
    The Word is not the soul of a being
    We too should seek the Word to be made flesh in us.

N

you have no scriptures for your claim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi T,
    Have you not been reborn of the Spirit of Christ?
    You would know the Word if you had.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 11 2012,18:58)
    Hi T,
    Have you not been reborn of the Spirit of Christ?
    You would know the Word if you had.

N

that is a POOR ,and bad excuse for ignorance display

Viewing 20 posts - 5,861 through 5,880 (of 25,907 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account