Worship God the Father only?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,101 through 1,120 (of 2,142 total)
  • Author

kathi

You said…

“Do you think that a religious belief in, and bowing down to someone/some object to show religious honor to them other than God is against the first commandment, Mike?”

This is really an excellent point and one that cannot be refuted. For their bowing to Jesus was not merely a bowing to an earthly king.

Another point to be made is Jesus required that if a man followed him he had to not only believe in him for eternal life but also be willing to die for him.

What do you think the religous Jews thought of Jesus when they saw men leaving all to follow him?

To place those kind of demands on a man or for that kind of devotion to a mere man would definitely be forbidden by the 1st commandment.

This is the problem with those that do not believe that Jesus is God, because “they place limits on their devotion to him“. They do not honor him with “the same honor as the Father” (WORSHIP). Paul considered every thing but dung for Christ. His focus was on Jesus, not the Father, for he knew you could not have the Father without Jesus. You could not know the Father apart from knowing Jesus.

Now for all those who claim that we should be like Jesus in everyway even before his resurrection, can we say men should believe in us for eternal life or that men should follow us even unto death? No in fact we would say that anyone who makes these claims would be a cult leader like Jim Jones.

Jesus clearly said.. You cannot serve “two masters” you will either love the one and hate the other, yet Jesus tells his disciples that they do right in calling him their Lord and Master and even allows Thomas to call him his Lord and God.

I am convinced that just as the Jews rejected his claims to equality with the Father because of the blindness of their hearts, even so it is today with those who do not know the real Jesus. It is only the Spirit of the Lord that can reveal the real Jesus and to confess him as “Lord” YHWH. 1 Cor 12:3

Blessings Keith

Quote (david @ Nov. 04 2010,01:33)
    wor·ship  (wûrshp)
    n.
    a. The reverent love and devotion accorded a deity, an idol, or a sacred object.
    b. The ceremonies, prayers, or other religious forms by which this love is expressed.
    2. Ardent devotion; adoration.
    3. often Worship Chiefly British Used as a form of address for magistrates, mayors, and certain other dignitaries: Your Worship.
    v. wor·shiped or wor·shipped, wor·ship·ing or wor·ship·ping, wor·ships
    v.tr.
    1. To honor and love as a deity.
    2. To regard with ardent or adoring esteem or devotion. See Synonyms at revere1.
    v.intr.
    1. To participate in religious rites of worship.
    2. To perform an act of worship.

Question:
    If you are spitting in someone's face and hitting them, and then (proskyneo) that person, are you “worshiping” them, or bowing before them?  (If you said “worshiping” them, look at what it means to “worship” above)

Yep

You are mocking worship.

WJ

Quote (david @ Nov. 03 2010,02:50)

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Nov. 03 2010,04:35)

Quote (david @ Nov. 02 2010,02:05)

AND IN THE MIDDLE OF ALL OF THIS HE SAYS “I AND THE FATHER ARE ONE”.

If another person who knows better, misapplies this scripture again, my head is going to explode.

David

You mean like the Jews who wanted to stone him for saying it?

WJ

No, WJ, I mean like you.  I mean exactly and precisely like you.

You cannot isolate one scripture from another scripture that actually explains the first.

Yes David

And I mean exactly and precisely like you. For you are siding with the Jews who do not believe Jesus words and the commentary of John that he is claiming equality with the Father.

WJ

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Nov. 05 2010,09:44)
    kathi

You said…

“Do you think that a religious belief in, and bowing down to someone/some object to show religious honor to them other than God is against the first commandment, Mike?”

This is really an excellent point and one that cannot be refuted. For their bowing to Jesus was not merely a bowing to an earthly king.

Another point to be made is Jesus required that if a man followed him he had to not only believe in him for eternal life but also be willing to die for him.

What do you think the religous Jews thought of Jesus when they saw men leaving all to follow him?

To place that that kind of demands on a man or for that kind of devotion to a mere man would definitely be forbidden by the 1st commandment.

This is the problem with those that do not believe that Jesus is God, because “they place limits on their devotion to him“. They do not honor him with “the same honor as the Father“. Paul considered every thing but dung for Christ. His focus was on Jesus, not the Father, for he knew you could not have the Father without Jesus. You could not know the Father apart from knowing Jesus.

Now for all those who claim that we should be like Jesus in everyway even before his resurrection, can we say men should believe in us for eternal life or that men should follow us even unto death? No in fact we would say that anyone who makes these claims would be a cult leader like Jim Jones.

Jesus clearly said.. You cannot serve “two masters” you will either love the one and hate the other, yet Jesus tells his disciples that they do right in calling him their Lord and Master and even allows Thomas to call him his Lord and God.

I am convinced that just as the Jews rejected his claims to equality with the Father because of the blindness of their hearts, even so it is today with those who do not know the real Jesus. It is only the Spirit of the Lord that can reveal the real Jesus and to confess him as “Lord” YHWH. 1 Cor 12:3

Blessings Keith

WJ

show me here are the scriptures;were is Jesus equal to his father;;
    all

Jn 14:13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.
    Jn 14:14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
    Jn 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever—
    Jn 15:7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.

Mt 6:8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Mt 7:7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Mt 18:19 “Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven.

Mk 11:24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Lk 11:9 “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
    Lk 11:13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Jn 16:24 Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.
    Jn 16:26 In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf.

how Jesus says to pray to the father ask the father in his name and he will ask his father and plead so that it will be given to you??

is this not show humility even in heaven??is this the son that ask to be worshiped ??

Pierre

Lightenup
    Participant

Thank you Keith!

Baker
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ Nov. 03 2010,12:33)
    Irene,

Why would Jesus be our Mediator if we can go directly to both and worship both…..He is not needed then….I  only worship Jehovah God……Because of Scriptures like

Ephesians 4:6  One God and Father of all, who [is] above all, and through all, and in you all.

The way you ask that question makes it look like believers NEED the Mediator in order to worship God.  That is simply not true.  People were worshiping God long before Jesus became the Mediator.  Do you doubt that?

Yes, we do/ Because God cannot look at sin. And in this flesh we will sin…. We go through Christ and not directly to the Throne of Almighty God…..Others, besides I, also have given plenty of Scriptures that prove to worship only Jehovah God. When I pray, I first thank God for all that He has done for us. Then if I want to pray for others I will say so and then say I ask this in Jesus Name. I see it this way, it was Jesus our Savior who died for our sin, therefore I ask for the forgiveness of that Sin through Jesus….Almighty God is all good and IMO He cannot look at anything that is bad…But without Almighty Jehovah God Jesus can't do nothing……Amen…..Peace Irene

Quote (terraricca @ Nov. 04 2010,11:52)
    WJ

all

Jn 14:13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.

T

Notice Jesus words that “HE WILL ANSWER OUR PRAYERS”. Imagine that? ???

John says Jesus will answer our petitions to him…

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. “And this is the confidence that we have in him, (Jesus) that, IF WE ASK ANY THING ACCORDING TO HIS WILL, HE HEARETH US: AND IF WE KNOW THAT HE HEAR US, WHATSOEVER WE ASK, WE KNOW THAT WE HAVE THE PETITIONS THAT WE DESIRED OF HIM“. 1 John 5:13-15

HMMM, I thought we are only supposed to pray to God?

According to the scriptures… “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” Rom 10:13

Yet the Apostles said…

Neither is there salvation in any other: “for there is none other name (other than Jesus) under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved“. Acts 4:12

Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called [to be] saints, “WITH ALL THAT IN EVERY PLACE CALL UPON THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD, BOTH THEIRS AND OURS”: 1 Cor 1:2

Truly our fellowship is with the Father and Jesus. 1 John 1-3

Do you pray to Jesus and have fellowship with him?

If not why not?

If so how do you explain the conundrum you have of praying to anything or anyone but God? :D

WJ

To all

Another point is that worship is not simply a bowing down in respect of another but is also a form of “COMPLETE DEVOTION” to another. It is a condition of the heart.

To follow one even to death is also a form of worshipping that person. For where your heart is that is where your treasure is. Jesus is my treasure and I put no limits as to my devotion to him which means he must be my God or I am breaking the 1st commandment!  

So for all those who claim to follow Jesus, at what point do you stop in your devotion and love to him? At what point do you cease giving him honor? At what point do you stop following him? :)

WJ

Lightenup
    Participant

Pierre,

WJ

all

Jn 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever—
    Jn 15:7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.

Mt 6:8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Mt 7:7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Mt 18:19 “Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven.

Mk 11:24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Lk 11:9 “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
    Lk 11:13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Jn 16:24 Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.
    Jn 16:26 In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf.

how Jesus says to pray to the father ask the father in his name and he will ask his father and plead so that it will be given to you??

is this not show humility even in heaven??is this the son that ask to be worshiped ??

Pierre

The equality is in their essence.

1:3
    And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

Do you see that one who is the exact representation of someone's nature would be equal in nature? Is a son equal in nature to his father?

Their Father/Son relationship is not what is equal, their nature is what is equal. It is the nature that makes one a divine being…a divine being is a true God. When one true God comes from another true God as His only begotten Son, then He is the true begotten God from the one true God. Together they fulfill the position of the one saving God over us.

“In that culture, a dignitary's adult son was deemed equal in stature and privilege with his father. The same deference demanded by a king was afforded to his adult son. The son was, after all, of the very same essence as his father, heir to all the father's rights and privileges–and therefore equal in every significant regard. So when Jesus was called “Son of God,” it was understood categorically by all as a title of deity, making Him equal with God and (more significantly) of the same essence as the Father. That is precisely why the Jewish leaders regarded the title “Son of God” as high blasphemy.”

<a href="http://www.biblebb.com/files/MAC/sonship.htm

” target=”_blank”>http://www.biblebb.com/files/MAC/sonship.htm%5B/QUOTE%5D

Lightenup
    Participant

Quote (Baker @ Nov. 04 2010,12:17)

Quote (Lightenup @ Nov. 03 2010,12:33)
    Irene,

Why would Jesus be our Mediator if we can go directly to both and worship both…..He is not needed then….I  only worship Jehovah God……Because of Scriptures like

Ephesians 4:6  One God and Father of all, who [is] above all, and through all, and in you all.

The way you ask that question makes it look like believers NEED the Mediator in order to worship God.  That is simply not true.  People were worshiping God long before Jesus became the Mediator.  Do you doubt that?

Yes, we do/  Because God cannot look at sin.  And in this flesh we will sin…. We go through Christ and not directly to the Throne of Almighty God…..Others, besides I,  also have given plenty of Scriptures that prove to worship only Jehovah God.  When I pray, I first thank God for all that He has done for us.  Then if I want to pray for others I  will say so and then say I ask this in Jesus Name.  I see it this way, it was Jesus our Savior who died for our sin, therefore I ask for the forgiveness of that Sin through Jesus….Almighty God is all good and IMO He cannot look at anything that is bad…But without Almighty Jehovah God Jesus can't do nothing……Amen…..Peace Irene

Irene,
    I think you are confused. When did Jesus become the Mediator? Wasn't it after the resurrection when He was highly exalted?

Was He 'the Mediator' during the time of the OT? Did the Jews 'worship' God in the OT even though Jesus was not the Mediator then? If so, then worship did not depend on Jesus being the Mediator. Reconciliation to the Father is why Jesus is the Mediator, worship was possible from the time of Genesis…no mediator necessary for worship. A Mediator is necessary for reconciliation.

shimmer
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Nov. 05 2010,06:21)
    T

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. “And this is the confidence that we have in him, (Jesus) that, IF WE ASK ANY THING ACCORDING TO HIS WILL, HE HEARETH US: AND IF WE KNOW THAT HE HEAR US, WHATSOEVER WE ASK, WE KNOW THAT WE HAVE THE PETITIONS THAT WE DESIRED OF HIM“. 1 John 5:13-15

According to the scriptures… “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” Rom 10:13

Yet the Apostles said…

Neither is there salvation in any other: “for there is none other name (other than Jesus) under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved“. Acts 4:12

Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called [to be] saints, “WITH ALL THAT IN EVERY PLACE CALL UPON THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD, BOTH THEIRS AND OURS”: 1 Cor 1:2

If not why not?

If so how do you explain the conundrum you have of praying to anything or anyone but God? :D

WJ

The way that I see it, there is no need to make divisions in the mind while praying. The word 'Lord' whether Jehovah or Jesus or the Spirit…it all goes THROUGH to the Father…  The sun, the light, the warmth, (I was the one who said this ages ago) Its the way I see things. To make it easier I just say Lord.

shimmer
    Participant

And Father as well.

Quote (shimmer @ Nov. 04 2010,16:32)

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Nov. 05 2010,06:21)
    T

Yet the Apostles said…

If not why not?

WJ

The way that I see it, there is no need to make divisions in the mind while praying. The word 'Lord' whether Jehovah or Jesus or the Spirit…it all goes THROUGH to the Father…  The sun, the light, the warmth, (I was the one who said this ages ago) Its the way I see things. To make it easier I just say Lord.

Shimmer

So you are praying to one God then right? If God is only the Father then why would you pray to Jesus?

WJ

shimmer
    Participant

WJ, Jesus is the mediator between man and God. So if I pray 'Lord' then if it is the son hearing me, thats ok, I dont question, I just pray “Lord…Father” without any divisions, though its hard to explain.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Nov. 05 2010,11:30)
    To all

Another point is that worship is not simply a bowing down in respect of another but is also a form of “COMPLETE DEVOTION” to another. It is a condition of the heart.

To follow one even to death is also a form of worshipping that person. For where your heart is that is where your treasure is. Jesus is my treasure and I put no limits as to my devotion to him which means he must be my God or I am breaking the 1st commandment!  

So for all those who claim to follow Jesus, at what point do you stop in your devotion and love to him? At what point do you cease giving him honor? At what point do you stop following him? :)

WJ

WJ

if you can not follow Christ while you are alive in the truth ,then why you think you would glorify him in dead ???

and how can some one glorify him (Jesus) in dead??
    it is in our resurrection that he will be glorified,

because we have stick to his truth,and gods word wen we could in our live.

It does not matter what you say it and how you try to twist scriptures,Christ will never be God the father,but be the one God has send down to save men,he is the grace send by God
    he is the door that God has open to us,the only thing to do is walking trough,but be washed first,

Christ does not look for worship but for recognition,big difference,so was Paul,the truth.from God.

worship the father only.(Christ words)

Pierre

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Nov. 05 2010,11:21)

WJ

all

T

Yet the Apostles said…

If not why not?

WJ

WJ

that is not showing anything else than Jesus saying “ask in my name to the father and he will give it to you”

and again you try by twisting scriptures and ignoring other scritures to justify your personal views not the spirit of Christ

but how could you give what you do not have “the spirit of Christ” this spirit is free from religion bias'

pierre

shimmer
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Nov. 05 2010,06:30)
    To all

WJ

Thats true… as in the real meaning behind the word worship.

BUT Jesus said to worship only God, you are saying that Jesus is God so you havent broken the first command, but if that were true, why did Jesus never say this ? Why did Jesus never said “I am God there is no other but me” instead He showed the Father, he prayed the Father, he trusted the Father.

Baker
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Nov. 05 2010,09:14)

WJ

all

T

Yet the Apostles said…

If not why not?

WJ

WJ

that is not showing anything else than Jesus saying “ask in my name to the father and he will give it to you”

and again you try by twisting scriptures and ignoring other scritures to justify your personal views not the spirit of Christ

but how could you give what you do not have “the spirit of Christ” this spirit is free from religion bias'

pierre

Pierre! You are s right. We go to the Throne of God through Jesus who is our Mediator….There are plenty of Scriptures stating that Jehovah God is above all. He is LORD, while Jesus is Lord….There is a difference. To worship both, is against the great first commandment. To Love Thy God with all of your heart and with all of your Soul, and with all of your mind….We ask in Jesus name……..nothing else…….There is one LORD and there is none beside Him…..Deut. 4:35……Peace Irene

Quote (terraricca @ Nov. 04 2010,17:07)
    [WJ

if you can not follow Christ while you are alive in the truth ,then why you think you would glorify him in dead ???

and how can some one glorify him (Jesus) in dead??
    it is in our  resurrection that he will be glorified,

because we have stick  to his truth,and gods word wen  we could in our live.

Pierre

So in other words those that were martyred for Jesus did not glorify God in their death?

You didn't answer my question…

“Do you pray to Jesus and have fellowship with him”?

If not why not?

If so how do you explain the conundrum you have of praying to anything or anyone but God?

WJ

Quote (terraricca @ Nov. 04 2010,17:14)

WJ

all

T

Yet the Apostles said…

If not why not?

WJ

WJ

pierre

I noticed you said…”the Spirit of Christ”, I thought we had recieved the Spirit of God? Oh thats right there is only One Spirit and it is also the Spirit of God, therefore the Spirit of Christ is the Spirit of God. :)

WJ

Viewing 20 posts - 1,101 through 1,120 (of 2,142 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account