What is Man?

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 266 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Ps Psalm 49 is interesting
    ” v13″ This is the way of those who are foolish and of those after them who approve their words. As sheep they are appointed for sheol. Death shall be their shepherd; and the upright shall rule over them in the morning.;and their form shall be for sheol to consume, so that they have no habitation. But God will redeem my SOUL from the power of Sheol;He will receive ME”

This surely relates to the Jews who are all sheep. Gentiles are goats and only become sheep if they are born into the Jewish shepherd, or recipients of God's mercy. So Sheol comsumes all the bodies but the souls of the righteous are received by God. We are all souls in bodies.The souls of the lost have no such welcome awaiting them-no eternal habitation.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    What is the “Inner man”?

Eph 3.16
    “For this reason I bow my knees before the Father from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives it's name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power ,through His Spirit IN THE INNER MAN, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith;and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ, which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God”

Rom 7.21
    ” I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. For I joyfully concur with the Law of God IN THE INNER MAN, but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. Wretched man that I am . Who will set me free from the body of this death?”

2Cor 4.16
    ” Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our INNER MAN is being renewed day by day”

Clearly man is defined in two ways and they represent the body and soul and the two forces are in battle. The outer man or body will die but the renewed soul or inner man remains to be clothed with the imperishable new tent at the return of Yeshua. Paul sees his true identity as the SOUL and wants to shed the earthly body and it's demands.[1 cor 5 1f]

By the way what other family do we know of “IN HEAVEN” but Yeshua and his Father? None. They go back to before time.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Proverbs 20.27
    “The spirit of man is the lamp of the Lord, searching all the innermost parts of his being”

It came from God.
    It goes to God.
    Perhaps it is God's eyes on our hearts and mind-our soul?

NickHassan
    Participant

hi,
    On trettep's suggestion we should reinvigourate this forum.

I say scripture shows man is a vessel of earthenware nature, designed to contain the Spirit of God. We can be filled with evil and we need to be washed, inside and out, to hold such glory. Jesus, the prophets and disciples were filled with the Spirit and we can be too till our cup is overflowing.
    2 Tim 2.20-26 shows salvation for all is possible in this light.

Cubes
    Participant

Amen, Nick,

Someone brought up the question that why did Jesus while on the cross say to the Father, “into thy hands I commend my spirit” rather than into thy hands I commend THY spirit…. and this question was directed to those with “Oneness” belief, which I take to be the modalist view.

So I responded by saying that Christ had his own spirit, apart from the holy spirit, as each of us does… and it was his own spirit that he commended to the Father's keeping.

I then cited Romans 8:16: God's Spirit joins himself to our spirits to declare that we are God's children. (GNT).

So do we have our own spirit? I think we do and my reasons are posted in the Q on the HS thread, but I am open to scriptural persuassion.

Is the soul the same as the spirit/life of man? So far they are the same to me.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi cubes,
    2Cor 4.7
    ” We have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves;”

Yes. Jesus had his own spirit. He was not filled with the Spirit of God till his baptism and he lived a normal life till then. It was his spirit that pleaded with the Father for mercy in the garden. It is not surprising that the Oneness deceived would not understand this.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi cubes,
    These may help
    1Thess 4.23
    “Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely;and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ”
    Heb 4.12
    ' for the word of God is alive and active and sharper than any two edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart”

trettep
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ May 19 2005,21:24)
    Hi cubes,
    2Cor 4.7
    ” We have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves;”

Yes. Jesus had his own spirit. He was not filled with the Spirit of God till his baptism and he lived a normal life till then. It was his spirit that pleaded with the Father for mercy in the garden. It is not surprising that the Oneness deceived would not understand this.

I believe that Jesus had the Holy Spirit from birth.

Paul

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi trettep,
    Scripture seems to suggest that Jesus was baptised in the Spirit when the Spirit of God descended as a dove in Mt 3,Mk 1 and Lk 3. Prior to that it says “the grace of God was upon him and he increased in wisdom. It is only after that tiime that he is said to be full of the Spirit, impelled by the Spirit, led by the Spirit and he bagan his works of power.
    As you know the apostles received the Spirit [Jn 20] before they were baptised in the Spirit [Acts 2]and it may have been the same with Christ. What do others think?

trettep
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ May 20 2005,03:58)
    Hi trettep,
    Scripture seems to suggest that Jesus was baptised in the Spirit when the Spirit of God descended as a dove in Mt 3,Mk 1 and Lk 3. Prior to that it says “the grace of God was upon him and he increased in wisdom. It is only after that tiime that he is said to be full of the Spirit, impelled by the Spirit, led by the Spirit and he bagan his works of power. A
    As you know the apostles received the Spirit [Jn 20] before they were baptised in the Spirit [Acts 2]and it may have been the same with Christ. What do others think?

Well, since Jesus never sinned then I don't see how that was possible without the help of the Holy Spirit.

Paul

NickHassan
    Participant

Interesting,
    When does God start judging man as sinning? Not as an infant or child? He taught from the Word at age 12 . We know he grew up devoted to the study of scripture which would have given him knowledge about avoiding sin.

NickHassan
    Participant

ps
    Jesus certainly would have grown up influenced by the Spirit and surrounded by protecting angels.

Anonymous

Hebrews 4- 14Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quite so Forgiven.

Cubes
    Participant

Thanks, Nick. Those scriptures from the previous page are helpful. I don't tend to think a lot about this topic of body/soul/spirit… I find it hard to know the boundaries b/n soul & spirit… but I know that what goes in the mind blooms later so I try to put Philippians 4:8 into practice and it is very helpful to me.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Christ would have had the holy spirit from birth as the Son of God… as when we receive the holy spirit by adoption at the time of our conversion/belief and repentence. Then baptism by water and hopefully, fire. Christ went through these stages, no?

Same spirit with diverse gifts? (Birth in the case of Christ) Adoption & Power?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi cubes,
    Jesus was conceived of Mary and the Father by the Holy Spirit. But he was like to us in every way. His Father would have the same relationship to him as any father. Separate but caring, loving, nurturing and responsible. Do you agree?

Cubes
    Participant

I agree, Nick.

I do think, however, that being born again with the spirit of God gives us an aversion to sin that we don't have otherwise… and we are more aware of the power and desire to choose righteousness.

I believe that Jesus knew how to have two natures warring inside him… and PERHAPS his struggles were even more intense because of the stark contrasts b/n good and evil, or sin and righteousness… as can happen even to us (Epistle of Romans! Focus on Chapters 6 and 7).

He lived in such a way as to have the victory that no man has obtained and he is worthy of all our praises forever.

NickHassan
    Participant

amen cubes

trettep
    Participant

I believe the spirit of a man is purposed for the maitenance of the flesh. In other words it desires to care for the factors that influence the flesh whether it be pride, greed, lust, pleasures, etc… There is no comprehension of it for the works of righteousness.

Paul

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi trettep,
    The spirit of man is of godly origin just as this spirit of an animal is. Both come from the breath of God according to Genesis. It gives life in the inner man.
    James.2.26
    “For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead”
    It is good.Sin comes from lust and lust is from the body. The outer man is of flesh, of earth-the realm of the serpent.
    James 1.13
    ” Let no man say when he is tempted
    'I am being tempted by God':
    for God cannot be tempted by evil and He Himself does not tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust is conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death”
    Men are born into flesh and naturally prefer lust and they foul their cup with sin.

But men must hear and respond to the message of salvation in their natural state. That requires the cooperation with the spirit of the inner man which came from God and knows it's origins.

Then as Roman 8 16 says
    ” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God”

Do you agree?

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 266 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account