the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Ed J
    Participant

Hi BD,

“The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached” (Luke 16:16)

…since that time the kingdom of God is preached . <–what does that mean?

Ed J
    Participant

Hi BD,

bodhitharta
    Participant

Hi BD,

“The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached” (Luke 16:16)

This is talking about the Gospel of the Kingdom of God in which repentance is the only thing needed for salvation, This is the same message of Islam as well
    Ironically Jesus was also a Prophet and I don’t know if he is considering Paul or John of revelation a Prophet but these statements are often unusual like when he says no greater man has been born of woman than John the Baptist, but Jesus was born of Woman, these are like expressions acknowledging John as important while Jesus is being humble.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi ED,

Of course Jesus Christ is in the Kingdom of God.

So in saying the least in the kingdom is greater than John he was saying he is, and all those joined to him.

Ed J
    Participant

Hi BD,

So “the Kingdom of God” is what exactly then?

kerwin
    Participant

Ed,

There are two main version of Luke 16:16

New American Standard Bible
    “The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John; since that time the gospel of the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it.

King James Bible
    The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

bodhitharta
    Participant

The Kingdom of God is by definition ISLAM which means to submit to God in peace. You therefore turn over your will to God, Thy will be done, when a person submits to God the Law is their hearts and is alive

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi ED,

So the kingdom includes all who are one with the King.

kerwin
    Participant

bodhitharta,

Only those that live by the Spirit make peace with God.

That is why Jesus said “blessed are the peacemakers…”

kerwin
    Participant

bodhitharta,

Islam does not teach how to live by the Spirit while the gospel does.

bodhitharta
    Participant

@Kerwin

Do you recall Jesus was strengthened with the Holy Spirit? You submit to God, Seek the kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you. Submission is first Kerwin

kerwin
    Participant

bodhitharta,

A person receives and lives by the Spirit through faith. Submitting to God is a fruit of the Spirit.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,

The peacemakers make peace with God??

No God does it all.

kerwin
    Participant

Nick,

I am going by Matthew 5:9 and it does not specify that in that particular passage. In the way we use the word peacemaker it only fits Jesus Christ in the more in its most optimal form. God is one of the parties so is not considered the intercessor.

To a lesser extent it fits those who spread the gospel to those at war with God.

I am using it in a more personal sense of a person that is one of the parties and who seeks to makes peace with the other party in the conflict. I did not see that definition in the English language definitions I browsed. In that sense it is about seeking God.

God is using a double meaning as is his want since both meanings are in tune with his Spirit.

None of this makes the point that God does not do the work.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,

Scripture does not support your speculation that it is peace with God that is spoken of.

God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself and we are to share in that reconciliation process by His work in us.

kerwin
    Participant

Nick,

God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself …

Yes, but Matthew 5:9 is not calling God the peacemaker though he is. It is not calling Jesus the peacemaker as he also is. It is instead calling those that receive the promise of being called the sons of God peacemakers. Who does Scripture say they are?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,

In my opinion those mentioned in the beatitudes are some of those who will find mercy in the final judgement despite not being in Christ.

Anyone who gives you a cup of water because you belong to me will not lose his reward.

Ed J
    Participant

Hi BD,

Are you part of the Kingdom of God ?

kerwin
    Participant

Nick,

Mark 9:41New King James Version (NKJV)

41 For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink in My name, because you belong to Christ, assuredly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward.

You are not seeing the words “in my name”. In short he speaks of those who give his servants a drink in the name of Jesus Christ. Therefore they themselves are disciples.

Matthew paraphrases his words as:

Matthew 10:42New King James Version (NKJV)

42 And whoever gives one of these little ones only a cup of cold water in the name of a disciple, assuredly, I say to you, he shall by no means lose his reward.”

Jesus preaches the gospel in his sermon on the mount and his words are for those that are under the new covenant. He does not address those that are either unable to understand his words as the results of some kind of handicap or those who have never heard his words. Both are judged by other standards.

Matthew 5:11-12 is a be-attitude that is clearly addressed to his disciples. The rest include anyone that fits the condition of the promise but anyone that fits it and both hears and is capable of understanding it will become Jesus’ student. Scripture only tells us of believers who receive the promise of being called the sons of God.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,

Thank you for your opinion.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account