The New Forum

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    seekingtruth
    Participant

Does this do quotes NO

Can no longer edit above

seekingtruth
    Participant

Try again

seekingtruth
    Participant

@t8 I tried loading my avatar but still the same

You can delete all my practices to clean it up

Admin
    Keymaster

I suspect you missed the last step, “crop image”. Once you have selected the image and uploaded it, it then asks to crop it. This is so you can take any photo and then select your face rather than having to use something like Photoshop to do the cropping.

Admin
    Keymaster

At the moment, edit is open for 30 minutes. I can change this, but I think it is good to have a time limit. 30 minutes seems like a reasonable amount of time to fix mistakes.

Admin
    Keymaster

@ seekingtruth

what does b-quote do

It indents text like as follows:

asdasdasda
    adasdasdasda
    adasdasdasdasd

You can apply it multiple times to increase the indentation.

Admin
    Keymaster

@seekingtruth @mikeboll64 @terraricca

Okay, regarding quoting posts. The bane of the last forum platform was it encouraged lazy quotes and whole threads became quotes withing quotes within quotes which I rarely read. But when not abused it was a great feature. This platform doesn’t have this feature and I am guessing because of this.

Here is one way to achieve a quote and the results look great.

1) Go to the post you want to quote
    2) Copy the text you want to address
    3) Hit reply above that post
    4) Address the member @t8 (for example)
    5) Paste the text in the next line
    6) Select the text
    7) Hit the code button.

Example:

@seekingtruth

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

I think it is more a case of blaah blaah blaah blaah blaah blaah blaah blaah blaah blaah seekingtruth.

Admin
    Keymaster

b-quote has a background colour now. Ideal for quoting text from other users.
    Copy and paste the text you want to quote, then select the text and click b-quote.

πŸ™‚

seekingtruth
    Participant

@t8
    But when not abused it was a great feature.

Attempt to quote. Was abused but easier.

Just a note, at least for me the program runs slow with a delay when changing screen FYI πŸ™‚

The advantage of quote I could see how things were done by others and I’m missing preview

Not to sound ungrateful, I know you worked long and hard just giving my thoughts on it once familiar with it I’ll probably like it just as well (I do like some of the search features)

seekingtruth
    Participant

Edit timed out above (why I miss preview, missing comma)
    plus I can’t copy functions but have to retype them

seekingtruth
    Participant

@T8
    It would be helpful to have a button to view “new posts” on each page
    Can we change our default color for letters?

Proclaimer
    Participant

@seekingtruth

It would be helpful to have a button to view β€œnew posts” on each page
    Can we change our default color for letters?

The advantage of that is readers can read the conversation in a natural way.

I have asked the members to give me some feedback if they prefer the order of posts be reversed and display as the latest one on page 1 (at the top).

At this stage you cannot change the colour of your default font (for your posts).

Also, I edited your comment just to take a look at what you did wrong with the BB Code. Saw the mistake and corrected it for you. I hope you don’t mind. I will explain the mistake in the next post.

Proclaimer
    Participant

@seekingtruth

Your BB Code was correct, but it was in the wrong order.

In BB Code as it is in HTML, you need to nest your tags correctly. I will use non-tags to give you the idea.

This is correct:
    [bbcode1] [/bbcode1] [bbcode2] [/bbcode2]
    If you want the first influence to continue then can do this:
    [bbcode1] [/bbcode1] [bbcode2] [/bbcode2] [bbcode1] [/bbcode1]

This is incorrect:
    [bbcode1] [bbcode2] [/bbcode1] [/bbcode2]

This is also incorrect in BB Code:
    [bbcode1] [bbcode2] [/bbcode2] [/bbcode1]

However this nesting formation is correct in HTML
    <something-tag1><something-tag2></something-tag2></something-tag1>

Notice the incorrect one has an overlap in the code, so the influence of [bbcode1] ends at [/bbcode1] but [bbcode2] sits inside [bbcode1] thus a conflict of influence as potentially one code could be red text for example and the other green, so what color is the overlap? So the incorrect version has an overlap of influence and browsers have problems knowing what to do and which influence to use.

Stick with no overlaps such as: [1][/1] [2][/2] [1][/1]

mikeboll64
    Blocked

@t8

This is also incorrect in BB Code:
    [bbcode1] [bbcode2] [/bbcode2] [/bbcode1]

That’s how I always did it on the other forum. HI THERE!

t8, edit my post, to see how I did that. It all worked except for the bold – just because you can’t tell. πŸ™‚

mikeboll64
    Blocked

@seeking truth

It would be helpful to have a button to view β€œnew posts” on each page

Agreed. And I still prefer the old system of quoting someone – where their name and time stamp showed up above the quote box.

But Wm, I just went through the categories in the “Forum Home”. They are chronologically, with the last thread to be posted on listed at the top of the page. So I looked through the forums, searching for threads I was in the middle of in the old site. I opened each of them, and “Subscribed” to it. Now I can hover the mouse over “YOU” at the top of the page, scroll down to “Forums”, then scroll left to “Subscribed Topics”.

I don’t believe this is nearly as easy as seeing the entire list of “New Post”, like on the other site. Nor is it as easy as doing a search for “mikeboll64” in the last week, like on the other site.

But at least it’s some way to kind of organize the posts I regularly follow and respond to. πŸ™‚

Proclaimer
    Participant

Yes I can see you nested them correctly. And it appears that you can nest them like HTML.
    If you tried to put a list in there though, then that would stuff it up.

Gonna try your code but move the bold tags next to the message.

HI THERE!

Proclaimer
    Participant

I think your example is bold.

Will try without bold tags.

HI THERE!

mikeboll64
    Blocked

What’s the verdict? They look the same amount of “bold” to me – with or without the bold tags. πŸ™‚ No matter, I can still use size and underline to drive some points home. I don’t NEED bold to survive. πŸ™‚

I think it’s nice to see the real faces of the people I’ve been talking to for four or five years. πŸ™‚ I hope the rest put their own photos as avatars too.

I now know what Kerwin, t8, Pierre, and Wm look like! Btw, you’re all ugly! πŸ™‚

terraricca
    Participant

HI MIKE

WE ARE UGLY BECAUSE WE ARE OLD YOUR TIME IS COMING SOON πŸ™‚

Proclaimer
    Participant

I could rename the forum to Ugly Net?

@mikeboll64

I think you need to reload the page so you can pick up the latest Style Sheet.
    The forum uses normal text and bold stands out just like our ugly mug shots.

πŸ˜‰

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Β© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

Β© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account