The New Forum

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Proclaimer
    Participant

I would like to highlight some of the advantages the new forum has over the old one.

1) Ongoing development is free. The forum is on a platform that has thousands of developers contributing code every day. This site and forum can take advantage of that and keep up with the technological times. The old forum was good especially considering it is over 10 years old, but it has no future development being contributed to it. So will degrade in time compared to technological advancements.

2) The new forum will bring in more users as the registration process is easy, automatic, and pertains to the whole site. Moderation is minimal. The old site required that every new registration was checked and by then, they had already given up visiting by the time they were given access. The old forum has a registration process but offers no protection against spammers except manual investigation.

3) Users have a members page where all activity, posts, forums started, public messages, @mentions, friends, groups, etc, are displayed. So the new forum tracks activity of the users meaning you can look at all the posts, messages, forums started by particular users. How many times have you wanted to track down a topic or post but could not. Now you can. You can also better understand particular members by reading their posts on their members page.

4) The main part of the site shows who is online, as well as the last 5 forum posts, forum topics, posts, and comments.

5) You can tag posts and then click tag words that bring up all posts with that tag.

6) You can create private groups and invite certain members and then dialogue together on your members page or create a group private forum where you can discuss away from prying eyes.

7) Superior and specific search for the forums. Not to be confused with site wide search at the top of each page, the forum search searches forums, categories, and posts way better than the old forum.

8) As social networking gains ground, I can plug in and talk to Facebook, Twitter, etc.

9) The forum has a whole range of anti-spam tools available and subscribing and unsubscribing to forums, topics, etc is better and easier.

10) There are multiple possible directions the new forum can go. In the future 3D chat or a virtual world could be plugged in for example.

11) Forums can be embedded into pages in the site. A teaching on the Trinity Doctrine could have a forum topic on the Trinity built into the page as well as showing up in the usual place in the forum.

12) The new forum is mobile phone compatible. This is a biggy. A number of users gave up using Heaven Net because their main access device was their phone and the site was too cumbersome for small screens.

journey42
    Participant

Hi T8

How do we “log out”?

Proclaimer
    Participant

If you hover the cursor to the right of the menu bar at the top, a menu will pop down. Log Out is in that menu along with other useful links.

πŸ˜‰

ALSO: I just put in a log in/log out widget at the bottom of the page (in the footer).

Proclaimer
    Participant

Should also mention that you only need to post the URL of a Youtube video to make it appear.

Cala
    Participant

Very trendy T8 πŸ™‚

Proclaimer
    Participant

Thanks. So are the forums.
    πŸ˜›

mikeboll64
    Blocked

All those things sound good, t8. But are we going to have a toolbar so we can change font color, size, bold, underline, strikethrough, italicize, etc?

Will it eventually

put this part in quotes

? (I don’t know what you call that, when you put things in brackets to change the final appearance on the post. πŸ™‚ )

Also, is there a place where we can set our default font color? Can we add a signature like before?

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Trying a “Reply” – to see if the post I’m replying to shows up in a quote box.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Trying again. I just hit the “Reply” button at the top right of the OP of this thread. According to what t8 said yesterday, his first post should then show up in THIS post as a quote.

Here goes……………

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Nope. So how DO we quote someone else’s post?

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Also, I just changed my avatar – before I made these last four posts here. But it’s still the same old avatar from yesterday. ???

terraricca
    Participant

I have seen that in one forum you have a tool bar, but not in the other section ,why is that ?

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Hi Pierre! πŸ™‚

Now my new avatar is showing up in the “Who’s Online Now?” clip on the main forum page. But the old one is still showing up when I make a post. πŸ™‚

(t8, I’m not doing this to complain – but to make you aware of some bugs, so you can look into them.)

Admin
    Keymaster

I thought it would quote too, but replying from a post actually is appended to the bottom of the feed without the post quoted. I can set the forums to have 1 or more levels deep in which case that behavior would be different because it would append under the post as a sub-post and if the levels were deeper then sub-posts of sub-posts would be possible. However, I remember you guys being confused about that, so I decided on a flat format of one level.

as opposed to:

a
    b
    c
    a
    b
    i
    II
    III

If you know what I mean.

Admin
    Keymaster

The toolbar had a quote option, but it obviously caused problems for you Mike, so I will research another toolbar that I can plug in.
    So for now there is no toolbar in the forums.
    πŸ™‚

Admin
    Keymaster

The site is much faster as it is on the new server. Apologies for the downtime. I am in NZ and domain propagation seems to happen last in New Zealand. So while you could see the new server, it took me another 12 hours before I was seeing it.

Once I did see the new server, what a mission it was as there were multiple errors to work through. Took all my Saturday up. All working. Going to have a glass of wine now. Next mission, get a toolbar tomorrow.

πŸ™‚

Admin
    Keymaster

@mike

Now my new avatar is showing up in the β€œWho’s Online Now?” clip on the main forum page. But the old one is still showing up when I make a post. πŸ™‚
    (t8, I’m not doing this to complain – but to make you aware of some bugs, so you can look into them.)

That was a throw back to some code I implemented a long time ago that allowed an avatar to be uploaded from the WordPress profile page:
    https://heavennet.net/wp-admin/profile.php

Since then, I implemented other code that also had the option for an avatar. It is hard to keep track of this sort of thing. I have disabled the avatar upload from here:
    https://heavennet.net/wp-admin/profile.php

Avatars can now only be uploaded at the front-end. For me that is here:
    https://heavennet.net/members/admin/profile/edit/

Proclaimer
    Participant

There is a toolbar here now. I will try and extend it further later on. I want to test this basic version first in case it breaks something.

Select the text you want to format and click a button:

Bold
    Italix
    Link

b-quote

delete or crossout
    Whitby, New Zealand
    List:

• Apples
    • Oranges
    • Pears
    Proclaimer
    Participant

When aiming a post at someone, use their username with @ such as @t8 and it links to their members page. It also tells who the post is aimed at. Further, it populates a list called ‘mentions” in your activity list. See that menu at top-right in the toolbar, it is under Activity > Mentions.

Here is an example of mine:
    https://heavennet.net/members/t8/activity/mentions/

πŸ™‚

seekingtruth
    Participant

Me too

Another try

Learning

code318
      what does b-quote do

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 47 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Β© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

Β© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account