The Many Gods of the Bible

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 265 total)
  • Author
    Proclaimer
    Participant

For us there is one God the Father, for others there is also the Jesus god.

Lightenup
    Participant

For us there is one God the Father and one Lord, Jesus the Christ who is the only begotten God in the bosom of the Father.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Mike……Maybe you missed it, but I did answer your question already .  I believe God was talking to his “Seven Spirits,”,   that go before the throne of God.  But as Jodi brought out what Jeff Benner a langustic Hebrew Scholar said,  The actual Hebrew was saying that he was talking to the earth, and there is merit to what he says, because the earth is mentioned as a she, as in where he said let the earth bring forth grass , anyway you would need to read his explanation, I believe it does have merit.

Now to another point,  have you ever looked up the word we translate as “created” used in Gen 1: 1,

It comes from Hebrew word meaning to ‘spread’ or “fatten,” is what the Hebrew implies,  you can also find where God said he   spread the heavens  and earth written in ,

Isaiah 42:5……“thus says God (the)  LORD (YAHOVAH ) , he that created or (fattened)  the heavens, and “Stretched ”  them out; he that “spread forth” the earth,  and that which comes out of it;  also read Isaiah 45 : 21. 

MIKE, So there is scripture that does support the big bang theory after all,   and Genesis 1v1 does  show this was done before there ever was a first day Mike.  So we can conclude the heavens and the earth were already there before , this present creation  began right?

Peace and love to you and yours Mike. ……….gene

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Gene: Mike……Maybe you missed it, but I did answer your question already .  I believe God was talking to his “Seven Spirits,”,   that go before the throne of God. 

My apologies.

Okay Gene, here are a few easy follow-up questions for you. Please answer them directly.

1.  WHY do you suppose it was the Seven Spirits – as opposed to any of the spirit entities (ie: angels) who were shouting for joy when God created the heaven, the earth, and mankind? (Job 38:7)

2.  Did you know that disembodied spirits are also considered to be gods in scripture? (1 Samuel 28:13)

3.  Why did the serpent refer to these “Seven Spirits” – or whoever the “US” was – as gods?

(The last one is the one I really want a direct answer to.  Thanks.)

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Gene:  But as Jodi brought out what Jeff Benner a langustic Hebrew Scholar said,  The actual Hebrew was saying that he was talking to the earth, and there is merit to what he says, because the earth is mentioned as a she, as in where he said let the earth bring forth grass , anyway you would need to read his explanation, I believe it does have merit.

Jodi’s source claimed that God was talking to the earth in Gen 1:26, Gene.  You and I are talking about the “us” in Gen 3:22 – and why the serpent called the “us” gods in 3:5.

Jodi’s source didn’t talk about 3:5 and 3:22.  Plus, if you’d like to incorporate what her source said about 1:26, then you not only have to believe that the earth, God, and mankind all share the same image and likeness, but also that the earth knows good from evil, and that the serpent would call the earth “gods” for some reason.

So we are back to waiting for your answer of why the serpent would refer to the “us” of v22 as “gods” in v5.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Gene:  Now to another point… there is scripture that does support the big bang theory after all…

I’ll address that last part in the “Conspiracies” thread, because I really do want to keep this thread focused on whether or not there are many gods in the Bible. 👍

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Proclaimer:  For us there is one God the Father, for others there is also the Jesus god.

Yep, Jesus… the child who will be born unto us and will be called a mighty god. (Is 9:6)  And also Satan, “the god of this world”.  (2 Cor 4:4)  And also the “many gods and many lords, both in heaven and on earth” that Paul mentioned in 1 Cor 8:5 – immediately before he said the part you quoted in 8:6.

I’m not sure if you’ve forgotten how to debate properly and effectively – or if you never learned how in the first place.  At any rate, the question currently before you in this thread is who is the “us” in Gen 3:22 – and why would the serpent refer to that “us” as gods in 3:5.

Do you have a direct answer or explanation for that?  Or would you prefer to just pop in occasionally, ignoring the actual scriptures that are being presented, and opting instead to post nonsense like, “LOL!  Only an idiot would believe Jesus is a god!” ?

Why not take part in the actual debate for once, Proclaimer?  Who IS the “us” in 3:22?  Why DID the serpent refer to them as “gods” in 3:5?

Lightenup
    Participant

Here this is on topic:

Lightenup
    Participant

Hi Adam,

Regarding the Targums, do you realize that the Memra of God is the way the Aramaic say “Word of God”?

Lightenup
    Participant

Mike,

You said:

And also Satan, “the god of this world”.  (2 Cor 4:4)

In your list of ‘gods’ which one had all authority on earth and in heaven when that verse was written? In other words, what singular ‘god’ with the article ‘the’ has all authority during the age spoken about?

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Mike:  Personally, as “The Word of God”, I thought you’d say Jesus did the speaking.

LU:  The “Let Us make man in our image” seems to me to be the Father talking to the Son. 

Kathi, I’ve read your long post and agree with some things, while disagreeing with many others.  But let’s take this discussion to it’s own thread.  I will start a new thread right now to discuss “The Yahweh Unity Doctrine”, okay?

For now, I’d like your input on who the “us” was in Gen 3:22 – and why the serpent referred to the “us” as gods in 3:5.  I also welcome any other comments that are directly related to whether or not there are many gods in the Bible.

But I’d really like to not turn this thread into another Yahweh Unity, Trinity, or preexistent discussion.  This thread is intended to be ONLY about whether or not there are many gods in the Bible, and the scriptures that support everybody’s conclusions.  Thanks for understanding.

I’ve started the new thread…

The Yahweh Unity Doctrine

mikeboll64
    Blocked

LU: Hi Adam,

Regarding the Targums, do you realize that the Memra of God is the was the Aramaic say “Word of God”?

Kathi, I’ve also transferred this question to the new thread.  Adam, please address it over there, as it has to do with LU’s doctrine and not to whether or not there are many gods in the Bible.  Thanks. 🙂

Lightenup
    Participant

Hi Mike,

Regarding this quote of me, there was a type which I corrected. This is what it should say:

Regarding the Targums, do you realize that the Memra of God is the way the Aramaic say “Word of God”?

Berean
    Participant

King James Bible
    And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Mike: Yep, Jesus… the child who will be born unto us and will be called a mighty god. (Is 9:6)  And also Satan, “the god of this world”.  (2 Cor 4:4)  And also the “many gods and many lords, both in heaven and on earth” that Paul mentioned in 1 Cor 8:5 – immediately before he said the part you quoted in 8:6.

LU:  In your list of ‘gods’ which one had all authority on earth and in heaven when that verse was written? 

Jesus is the god to whom the Most High God has given all authority on earth and in heaven…

Matthew 28:18… Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.”

Now more to the thread topic… Do you acknowledge that 2 Cor 4:4 and 1 Cor 8:5 speak of gods who are not the Most High God?

In other words, do you believe there many gods in the Bible or not?

mikeboll64
    Blocked

LU:  Regarding this quote of me, there was a type which I corrected…

I fixed it in case you want to delete your post in the other thread.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Berean:  King James Bible
    And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Hi Berean,

This thread is to determine whether or not there are many gods in the Bible.  It is not yet another discussion about whether or not Jesus is the Most High.  Although, that is an interesting discussion, and there is a new thread I just started about Kathi’s “Yahweh Unity” doctrine if you are interested.

The questions currently pending on this thread are who is the “us” in Gen 3:22 – and why did the serpent refer to the “us” as gods in 3:5.

I’d like your input on those questions if you don’t mind.  Thanks.

Berean
    Participant

Hi mike
    Excuse me if I am a bit of a diversion….
    This verse from Paul to Timothy works on me, the music, it relaxes me…recharges me. The cross is the center of everything, as Paul told us, “I don’t want to know anything other than Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ crucified “…
    I answer your question about Genesis 3:22….Who are the “US”
    And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

I sincerely believe that these are the same people as in Genesis 1:26, ie God the Father and his Son.

For Genesis 3:5
    For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

THAT is the devil’s promise to Eve: to be like gods. knowing the good and the bad…
    But God wanted Adam and Eve to know ONLY good, so He warned them not to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. But what do they know? a mix of misfortune and happiness tinged with remorse…
    Have they become gods? No. Because I believe that they have repented… On the other hand those who have followed “the way of Cain”, YES, BECAUSE THEY HAVE DEVELOPED THEIR ORGOUS AND SELFISH SELF being under the influence of the “forces of evil”.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Okay Berean, thanks for the answer.  Why do you suppose the serpent referred to the Father and Son as “gods”?

Berean
    Participant

I don’t think I said that, or I misunderstood your question…

Satan promised Eve that if they ate the fruit forbidden by God, they would become LIKE GODS.
    Satan was not talking about the Father and the Son of course but about “powerful people knowing good and evil” That’s what being gods for Satan is: “powerful people” like the antediluvians not to mention today…😐

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 265 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account