JOHN 1:1 who is the WORD?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,561 through 1,580 (of 25,870 total)
  • Author
    Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (malcolm ferris @ Oct. 04 2008,13:20)

It's difficult to reconcile this verse with others like John 1:3, Col 1:16, 1 Cor 8:6, Heb 1:3 and Heb 1:10 while still holding that Yeshua….

1. Didn't pre-exist His incarnation
    2. Isn't the Lord God Almighty

These verses are most assuredly not compatible with unitarianism, or henotheism. On the face of it theyare actually quite supportive of sabellianism, and I can easily see how they reached their conclusion on the basis of these kinds of affirmations. Is 44:24 is also not incompatable with trinitarianism. Yeshua said if you've seen Him you've seen the Father, and that He and the Father are “One”. The writer of Hebrews testified that Yeshua is an exact representation of His Father’s substance/essence, Colossian 2:9 records“ For in Him all the fullness of Deity (Gr. Theotes – divine essence, the state of being God) dwells in bodily form.”

I fail to see the difficulty.
    Jesus in his fleshly incarnation said that to see him was to see his Father.
    As I understanding GOD the Father is the invisible, eternal GOD.
    Jesus is the visible image.
    An exact replica is still just that – a replica.
    An image is an image and not the original from which the image was formed.
    IMO

Agreed.

:)
    =

Quote (Is 1:18 @ Oct. 04 2008,12:57)

Quote (Lightenup @ Oct. 03 2008,02:44)
    Malcolm,
    Thank you so much for your input so far.  I'm following your reasoning and agree,yeah!  What is your response to the fact that the LORD claims that He alone stretched out the heavens and spread out the earth by Himself?

Isa 44:24

24 Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, and the one who formed you from the womb,

“I, the LORD, am the maker of all things,
    Stretching out the heavens by Myself
    And spreading out the earth all alone,
    NASU

Thanks for your time Malcolm,
    LU

It's difficult to reconcile this verse with others like John 1:3, Col 1:16, 1 Cor 8:6, Heb 1:3 and Heb 1:10 while still holding that Yeshua….

These verses are most assuredly not compatible with unitarianism, or henotheism. On the face of it theyare actually quite supportive of sabellianism, and I can easily see how they reached their conclusion on the basis of these kinds of affirmations. Is 44:24 is also not incompatable with trinitarianism. Yeshua said if you've seen Him you've seen the Father, and that He and the Father are “One”. The writer of Hebrews testified that Yeshua is an exact representation of His Father’s substance/essence, Colossian 2:9 records“ For in Him all the fullness of Deity (Gr. Theotes – divine essence, the state of being God) dwells in bodily form.”

Hi Isa 1:19

Good points.

Good to hear from you. Hope you and yours are blessed.

WJ

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Oct. 04 2008,13:39)
    This would be true if the scriptures say Yahshua is “an” image of the invisible God.

Still true if he is the image of the invisible God.

Is the Father the image of the invisible God?

No, Yeshua is.

The Father is the one true God and Jesus Christ is who God sent.

For 'us', there is one God the Father. For you there is one God the Father, Son, Spirit.

You cannot be 'us' in this context.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Oct. 04 2008,13:42)

Malcolm,
    Thank you so much for your input so far.  I'm following your reasoning and agree,yeah!  What is your response to the fact that the LORD claims that He alone stretched out the heavens and spread out the earth by Himself?

NASU

LU

Good points.

WJ

When one cannot use scripture to back up ones position, then they can always turn to all the isms to try and make a chasm toward those who respect and hold to scripture.

Is 1:18
    Participant

Quote (malcolm ferris @ Oct. 04 2008,13:20)

I fail to see the difficulty.
    Jesus in his fleshly incarnation said that to see him was to see his Father.
    As I understanding GOD the Father is the invisible, eternal GOD.
    Jesus is the visible image.
    An exact replica is still just that – a replica.
    An image is an image and not the original from which the image was formed.
    IMO

The difficulty is this:- John 1:3, Col 1:16, 1 Cor 8:6, Heb 1:3 and Heb 1:10 all establish that Yeshua, at the very least, was involved in the creation event. Isa 44:24 does not allow for the involvement of any agency outside of YHWH.

Participant

Quote (t8 @ Oct. 04 2008,13:48)

Malcolm,

NASU

LU

Good points.

WJ

When one cannot use scripture to back up ones position, then they can always turn to all the isms to try and make a chasm toward those who respect and hold to scripture.

:p

Participant

Malcolm,

NASU

LU

Good points.

WJ

Yes, we're all well thanks. And I hope you and your family are too.

NickHassan
    Participant

Malcolm,

NASU

LU

Hi Is 1.18,
    No scripture says Jesus is the Lord God almighty.

Many say he is the Son of God and God is not said to also be His Son.

That is a supposition drawn by men who cannot reconcile scriptures.

We are not allowed to try and reconcile sriptures by adding to scripture our twopence worth.

david
    Participant

The difficulty is this:- John 1:3, Col 1:16, 1 Cor 8:6, Heb 1:3 and Heb 1:10 all establish that Yeshua, at the very least, was involved in the creation event. Isa 44:24 does not allow for the involvement of any agency outside of YHWH.

Hi Paul. It's been a while. I wish you would discuss Phil 2:5-7 in that thread. I respect your research and your very detailed analysis of scripture. That being said…..

“This is what the LORD says—
    your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb:
    I am the LORD,
    who has made all things,
    who alone stretched out the heavens,
    who spread out the earth by myself,

I think we have to consider the context of that chapter.
    Jehovah is asserting his superiority over false gods. If we look at the context, it is all about how these gods have no power, no nothing. How they are responsible for nothing. We are comparing false gods with Jehovah, the true God. This verse is not making a point to say that Jehovah existed alone. In context, it's making a point to say that all the credit goes to Jehovah.

Here's a similar verse:

JEREMIAH 32:17
    ““Alas, O Sovereign Lord Jehovah! Here you yourself have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and by your outstretched arm. The whole matter is not too wonderful for you yourself,”

He made the heavens and the earth by his great power and by his arm. He alone is RESPONSIBLE for this. It was his power that was behind it.
    When we think back to Jesus miracles, they were actually done by means of God's holy spirit. Jesus always gave the credit to God, did he not? Yet, he was there, and had a part, right?

Quoting what others have said:
    “Jehovah is the Arquitect and Jesus is the contractor. Guess who receives all the credit?”

And quoting someone else:
    It would be better to read the whole chapter 44 rather than concentrating on verse 24 only. Why did Jehovah said, He created all things by Himself. Please read verses 7-21. Jehovah was stressing the uselessness of carved image and false gods. He was comparing His glory and power against those lifeless gods. It is logical then that He only mentions Himself. Because, the issue here is between the True God Jehovah against false gods-carved image. It's pretty simple

Lightenup
    Participant

Hi David,
    I agree with you on that last post. Just look at the culture at the time when there were those who believed in the sun god and the god of the dead, the god of this, the god of that. The Most High God is the God of everything good and the source of everything good. The son is the begotten God who is the receiver of those good things and communicator to us about those good things on behalf of His Father.

LU

Lightenup
    Participant

Quote (malcolm ferris @ Oct. 03 2008,00:58)
    Hi LU
    You mentioned that you have your explanation of how Jesus can be called GOD though he has a beginning, I would be very keen to hear it.

OK can I call Jesus my great GOD and Savior and trust Him to be my God and if so, why, since I believe that He has a beginning?

I believe I can directly call Jesus Adonai.

Hi Malcolm,

Let me share my turning point story:
    I grew up as a trinitarian and defended the doctrine when challenged. Then one day I was challenged with the verse Col 1:15-16

15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.
    NASU

I asked God to show me what that term meant “firstborn of all creation.” I surrendered my trinitarian claims to whatever God would show me and it was like I started to read the Bible all new with a different perspective. Well, after about a month of searching scripture and looking for my answer I heard a voice speak to me. Just before I heard that voice, I was reviewing with my son what happened on each day of creation because I was homeschooling him and the kindergarten curriculum was centered around the seven days of creation. I had just asked my son this question, “What happened on day one?” My son responded by saying “God said let there be light” and that is when the voice whispered in my left ear and said “You are the light of the world.”

Now remember that I was meditating on what the “firstborn of all creation” meant for the past month and fervently, and excitedly reading scripture with a whole new perspective. When I asked my son that question I was totally focused on his schooling. I know that voice was not from me without a doubt. Anyway, when I heard the voice say that I immediately thought of Jesus being the Light of the World and that “Let there be light” was possibly connected to Jesus being the firstborn. So, I knew that I had to test that and I think about it everyday since. I believe that the firstborn of all creation probably refers to the light of day one as the announcement of the begotten God's birth, the Radiant Son of God, the Light of Life.

Here are some verses about Jesus being the Light:
    John 1:1-10
    2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. 5 The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
    6 The Witness John
    There came a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 He came as a witness, to testify about the Light, so that all might believe through him. 8 He was not the Light, but he came to testify about the Light.
    9 There was the true Light which, coming into the world, enlightens every man.
    NASU

Rev 21:22-24
    23 And the city has no need of the sun or of the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God has illumined it, and its lamp is the Lamb.
    NASU

John 8:12

Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, ” I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.”
    NASU

So, as I continued to think along the lines about the Son of God having a beginning on day one of creation, I asked God if the Bible says that the Son was my God along with His Father.

Well, I was reminded of several verses that called Jesus God and was glad to be able to think of Him as God.

I wondered how the “one God” thing worked. I became convinced that there is really only one God in the fullest sense of the term. That would be the Most High God, the Father, who always existed and is the source of all things good. The Son is also God because He shares the nature of His Father, the nature of God. This is much like a son being a man because he shares the nature of whom he is from-another man. Man begets man, God begets God. The Son is also God because of His position over us and the angels and He is our God and savior because of His purchase of us with His own blood. So that is why I can call Him my great God and savior, Jesus Christ. To think of Him in that high of a position is the greatest compliment that I can give to His Father, the Most High God. I am acknowledging that the Most High God is very capable of birthing His own son and that son be perfect and trustworthy and faithful to be even God to us. The elements of creation can't compare to the perfection of His Son.

Many were called god who were not by nature gods at all and I do not call them my God . The Son is called God and is by nature God. That is a big difference.

Two of the qualities or glories that the Father possesses that the Son does not is the quality of always existing and the quality of being the ultimate source of all things good. They are two different beings with one common nature and united in love and purpose, not co-equal and not co-eternal.

LU

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi LU,
    So the son of God is not really a son.
    More of a clone?

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Is 1:18 @ Oct. 04 2008,14:01)
    :p

Make it 3 and turn it into a trinity.

:p  :p  :p

The tongue trinity.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Oct. 04 2008,17:49)
    Hi LU,
    So the son of God is not really a son.
    More of a clone?

Nick, I couldn't see in LU's post where that is mentioned. What sentence or text of LU's are you referring to.

Thanks.

gollamudi
    Participant

Hi Sis kathi,
    How many Gods you make for you; one is almighty and other is mighty. So what way your theory differs fro a JW?

Quote (t8 @ Oct. 04 2008,13:44)

This would be true if the scriptures say Yahshua is “an” image of the invisible God.

No, Yeshua is.

For 'us', there is one God the Father. For you there is one God the Father, Son, Spirit.

Hi t8

Yes, if the Father who is invisible makes himself visible. Would the “image” you see not be God? ???

Again, you reduce Gods image to being less than God therefore creating a false image of God!

WJ

Quote (david @ Oct. 04 2008,14:47)

Hi Paul.  It's been a while.  I wish you would discuss Phil 2:5-7 in that thread.  I respect your research and your very detailed analysis of scripture.  That being said…..

“This is what the LORD says—
          your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb:
          I am the LORD,
          who has made all things,
          who alone stretched out the heavens,
          who spread out the earth by myself,

I think we have to consider the context of that chapter.
    Jehovah is asserting his superiority over false gods.  If we look at the context, it is all about how these gods have no power, no nothing.  How they are responsible for nothing.  We are comparing false gods with Jehovah, the true God.  This verse is not making a point to say that Jehovah existed alone.  In context, it's making a point to say that all the credit goes to Jehovah.

Here's a similar verse:

JEREMIAH 32:17
    ““Alas, O Sovereign Lord Jehovah! Here you yourself have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and by your outstretched arm. The whole matter is not too wonderful for you yourself,”

He made the heavens and the earth by his great power and by his arm.  He alone is RESPONSIBLE for this.  It was his power that was behind it.  
    When we think back to Jesus miracles, they were actually done by means of God's holy spirit.  Jesus always gave the credit to God, did he not?  Yet, he was there, and had a part, right?

Quoting what others have said:
    “Jehovah is the Arquitect and Jesus is the contractor. Guess who receives all the credit?”

And quoting someone else:
    It would be better to read the whole chapter 44 rather than concentrating on verse 24 only. Why did Jehovah said, He created all things by Himself. Please read verses 7-21. Jehovah was stressing the uselessness of carved image and false gods. He was comparing His glory and power against those lifeless gods. It is logical then that He only mentions Himself. Because, the issue here is between the True God Jehovah against false gods-carved image. It's pretty simple

Hi David

Well then how about this context…

O LORD of hosts, God of Israel, that dwellest between the cherubims, (not gods) thou art the God, even “thou alone“, of all the kingdoms of the earth: thou hast made heaven and earth. Isa 37:16

Which “alone” spreadeth out the heavens, and treadeth upon the waves of the sea. Job 9:8

Here is a couple especially for the Henotheist and the Polytheist…

Thus shall ye say unto them, The gods” **that have not made** the heavens and the earth, even they shall perish from the earth, and from under these heavens. Jer 10:11

For *all the gods* of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens. Pss 96:5

Your Bible calls Yahshua “a god”, and LU say's that Yahshua is her great God and Saviour and yet he is not the “One true God”. How do you reconcile this with YHWH alone, by himself created all things?

And if Yeshua was the quote “firstborn of creation” (or came into existence as a separate sentient being) then would he not be like the Father?

Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and “there is none else”; I am God, and “there is none like me”, Isa 46:9

If Yeshua was a separate sentient being or “creation”, (for all things were created including the born), and he was involved in the creation as such then he would have surely been beside the Father…

Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. Isa 45:21

That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that “there is none beside me“. I am the LORD, and there is none else. Isa 45:6

Here is what the Lord says about making any other being “a god”…

Exod 23:13
    “Now concerning everything which I have said to you, be on your guard; and do not mention the name of other gods, nor let them be heard from your mouth. Exod 23:13

Isa 44:8
    Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any. Isa 44:8

None could create the universe but God alone, because creation is a work of infinite power, and could not be produced by any finite cause or being: For the distance between being and not being is truly infinite, which could not be removed by any finite agent, or the activity of all finite agents united.

YHWH is One. John knew this when he was inspired to write…

In the beginning1 was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was fully God.The Word was with God in the beginning. All things were created by him, and apart from him not one thing was created that has been created. John 1:1-3

This same Word/God was manifested and we beheld his image and Glory…

No one has ever seen God. The only one, himself God, who is in closest fellowship with the Father, has made God known. John 1:18

WJ

No, Yeshua is.

Hi t8

For 'us', there is one God the Father.

Really? Then why do you say Yahshua is a “theos”, god?

You said you have no problem calling Yeshua your “theos”, god!

As the scriptures say satan is “the theos”, god of this world.

Yet would you say satan is your “theos”, god?

Yet you say that Yahshua is your “theos”, god!

So to you there is two “theos”, gods, the Father and the son!

WJ

Quote (gollamudi @ Oct. 04 2008,22:27)
    Hi Sis kathi,
    How many Gods you make for you; one is almighty and other is mighty. So what way your theory differs fro a JW?

GM

Good point!

WJ

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Oct. 05 2008,01:58)

No, Yeshua is.

Hi t8

Yes, if the Father who is invisible makes himself visible. Would the “image” you see not be God? ???

Again, you reduce Gods image to being less than God therefore creating a false image of God!

WJ

Hi WJ,
    Do you think that when Jesus revealed the nature of God he himself became invisible?

God was in him reconciling the world to Himself[2cor 5]

But he was not the God Who was in him.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,561 through 1,580 (of 25,870 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account