JOHN 1:1 who is the WORD?

Viewing 20 posts - 821 through 840 (of 25,870 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Eph 1
    4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
    5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
    6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

So God chose us to be in the BELOVED.
    We are not the same as him though as he was loved and not just chosen.

Matthew 12:18
    Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.

We are loved by God in Christ but only he can say he was loved before the foundation of the world, whemn he had glory with God.

Jn17
    23I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

24Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    In reply to your suggestion in another thread that we study the meaning of WITH

Hi not3,
    jn1
    1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with [4314] God, and the Word was God.
    2 The same was in the beginning with [4314] God.

Number 4314
    Transliteration:
    pros {pros}
    Word Origin:
    a strengthened form of 4253
    TDNT:
    6:720,942
    Part of Speech:
    prep
    Usage in the KJV:
    unto 340, to 203, with 43, for 25, against 24, among 20, at 11, not tr 6, misc 53, vr to 1

Total: 726
    Definition:
    to the advantage of
    at, near, by
    to, towards, with, with regard to

None of the meanings offered here suggest it means
    IN or a PART OF God.

They all speak of in one way or another separateness and relationship.

gollamudi
    Participant

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Aug. 09 2008,03:30)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Aug. 08 2008,06:24)
    Hi GB,
    You have just done exactly what you advised against.
    You just inserted the word INTELLECT.

Nick…..I did not change anything a WORD is the expression of ones intellect, thats how we communicate right, i did not change anything i simple gave its meaning as all words have meaning, or they are just gibberish right, A word Is the expression of ones intellect and you full well know that. Lets not try to be contrary with each other for just the sake of being contrary brother.

peace to you…….gene

Hi brother Nick,
    Please leave this unnecessary arguments on intellect. Our brother Gene wanted to give different meaning to 'words' as intellect even the human science accept that. If you don't agree I think better leave it. But please don't judge any brother continously.

Thanks and blessings
    Adam

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi GM,
    Anyone presenting things here as truth but cannot find one scripture to support them is teaching falsehood. As long as they continue to do so, with or without support, they will be challenged for the sake of the lambs. Where do you stand on this?

gollamudi
    Participant

So for every reasoning you want some scripture ?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi GM,
    What we do here is pointless unless we gain mutual understandings from scripture.
    Those who are driven to share the opinions of men have many other places they can do this.

gollamudi
    Participant

Without human understanding no scripture can benefit any even in a christian site. Don't be so much religious which may not profit any.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Aug. 09 2008,13:54)
    Hi GM,
    Anyone presenting things here as truth but cannot find one scripture to support them is teaching falsehood. As long as they continue to do so, with or without support, they will be challenged for the sake of the lambs. Where do you stand on this?

Nick….lets settle this thing about what a (WORD) is, if it is NOT the expression of ones INTELLECT, then please tell us what a WORD IS.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi GB,
    1 In the beginning was the Word[3056], and the Word[3056] was with God, and the Word [3056]was God.

Number 3056
    Transliteration:
    logos {log'-os}
    Word Origin:
    from 3004
    TDNT:
    4:69,505
    Part of Speech:
    noun masculine
    Usage in the KJV:
    word 218, saying 50, account 8, speech 8, Word (Christ) 7, thing 5, not tr 2, misc 32

Total: 330
    Definition:
    of speech
    a word, uttered by a living voice, embodies a conception or idea
    what someone has said
    a word
    the sayings of God
    decree, mandate or order
    of the moral precepts given by God
    Old Testament prophecy given by the prophets
    what is declared, a thought, declaration, aphorism, a weighty saying, a dictum, a maxim
    discourse
    the act of speaking, speech
    the faculty of speech, skill and practice in speaking
    a kind or style of speaking
    a continuous speaking discourse – instruction
    doctrine, teaching
    anything reported in speech; a narration, narrative
    matter under discussion, thing spoken of, affair, a matter in dispute, case, suit at law
    the thing spoken of or talked about; event, deed
    its use as respect to the MIND alone
    reason, the mental faculty of thinking, meditating, reasoning, calculating
    account, i.e. regard, consideration
    account, i.e. reckoning, score
    account, i.e. answer or explanation in reference to judgment
    relation, i.e. with whom as judge we stand in relation
    reason would
    reason, cause, ground
    In John, denotes the essential Word of God, Jesus Christ, the personal wisdom and power in union with God, his minister in creation and government of the universe, the cause of all the world's life both physical and ethical, which for the procurement of man's salvation put on human nature in the person of Jesus the Messiah, the second person in the Godhead, and shone forth conspicuously from His words and deeds.

Though REASON appears in the list there are NO examples of such use shown here in scripture.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick….Please you surely know a WORD is the Expression of ones intellect. Everyone knows that.

It is used as RESPECT to the MIND ALONE.

Reason, the mental facility of thinking, meditating, reasoning, Calculating.

All of these are processes of intellect from which Word are derived. imo

To make Word in John 1:1 appear to say Jesus is to make all kinds of assumptions , one is that John did know how to write the word Jesus there, and the other is to transpose the meaning written to a different common meaning usage of what a word is and turning it into a person. If that what John meant he would just have simple used Jesus in the text.

peace………gene

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Gb,
    Not from Scripture.
    But you are convinced we are sure of that.
    I do not see a lack in the words John was given by God.

I am sure some folk will eventually accept your ideas.

gollamudi
    Participant

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Aug. 10 2008,15:05)
    Nick….Please you surely know a WORD is the Expression of ones intellect. Everyone knows that.

It is used as RESPECT to the MIND ALONE.

Reason, the mental facility  of thinking, meditating, reasoning, Calculating.

All of these are processes of intellect from which Word are derived. imo

To make Word in John 1:1 appear to say Jesus is to make all kinds of assumptions , one is that John did know how to write the word Jesus there, and the other is to transpose the meaning written to a different common meaning usage of what a word is and turning it into a person. If that what John meant he would just have simple used Jesus in the text.

peace………gene

Hi brother Gene,
    Many are assuming that the 'word' as preexisting Jesus then they are forgetting that the same 'word' was God then they are proving that there were two Gods in the beginning; one the Father and the other Jesus. It is as simple as that.

Peace to you
    Adam

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Gm,
    You are not suggesting that the Word who was with God was God Himself are you?
    Can God be with Himself?

gollamudi
    Participant

Hi brother,
    How many times I have told here that I don't make the 'word' which was in the beginning with God is an attribute of God himself and it is His expression not a separate person from Himself. Please no more questions like whether an attribute will be with a person.

Thanks
    Adam

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi GM,
    It would be better to let scripture prove itself rather than adding human rationalisations.
    Let scripture speak and let every man be silent.

Looking at Jn1.1-2 for provable understandings one part of the verse is repeated in Scripture.

The WORD WAS WITH GOD.

It occurs twice in Jn1 and once in 1Jn1.

So that part is inviolable[2Cor13.1]

So now you need to search for understandings for ther rest of the verse.
    Does THE WORD WAS GOD appear anywhere else in scripture?

No.

So we need to try and fit what is not understood with what is known.

gollamudi
    Participant

I think you better see for your self that the same 'word' tabernacled in the person Jesus as the living 'word of God'. I am not rationalising invain but in the light of God's wisdom. I don't see any difference between Jn1 and 1Jn1 because both talk on the 'word of life' which belongs to God Himself not a separate person from Him as you and others make. Please I don't want any further arguments because you don't want to give up your Arain ideas. I am sorry for that I can not make Jesus a god but he is the True image of God because the 'word of life ' became flesh in him. When I see Jesus, I see the full image of True God not anything less than that. he is not small god or begooten god but the Theophany of the One and only God.

Thanks and blessings
    Adam

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi GM,
    I am surprised you would speak like this.
    You seemed to be open to finding truth.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi ,
    So the choice remains.
    Can we let scripture speak and interpret itself?

gollamudi
    Participant

Oh! I am really sorry for personalising things. yes we have to allow the scriptures speak themselves.

Thanks and peace to you
    Adam

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (gollamudi @ Aug. 10 2008,16:57)
    Hi brother,
    How many times I have told here that I don't make the 'word' which was in the beginning with God is an attribute of God himself and it is His expression not a separate person from Himself. Please no more questions like whether an attribute will be with a person.

Thanks
    Adam

The Word was WITH the GOD.

Jesus has a name written on him, “The Word of God”.

Jesus is WITH God now.

Therefore the Word of God is with God now, at his right hand side.

So why not before, especially considering that he is the firstborn of all creation. Not even Adam was the firstborn of all creation.

Also, Jesus is not just a substitute for Adam. In fact God made all things for him and through him.

This is what the scriptures say.

Saying that Jesus is just a man and then putting your trust in a man of flesh is not really what faith is about. It is putting your trust in the firstborn of all creation who fulfilled what Adam did not. Jesus came to destroy the works of the evil one. It doesn't say that he was created to destroy the works of the evil one, but that he came to do that.

Thanks for listening.

Viewing 20 posts - 821 through 840 (of 25,870 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account