JOHN 1:1 who is the WORD?

Viewing 20 posts - 6,041 through 6,060 (of 25,908 total)
  • Author
    jammin
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ April 16 2012,07:42)

Quote (jammin @ April 15 2012,19:27)
    the topic is about john 1.1
    the Word is Christ. the father and the son have the same nature. john said, the Word was GOD.
    case closed

Jammin,

I applaud your figuring out that the Father and Son have the the Word nature.  Now if you can figure out that that nature has always been both in the innards of God and written on his heart and that God placed it in the innards of Jesus and wrote it on his heart by his Spirit; you will make progress.

sorry boy,
    but i believe what the bible says and not your opinion.
    you need to grow up kerwin. LOL

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (942767 @ April 15 2012,18:12)
    “The Word” is that which God has spoken. In Hebrews 1 the scripture states that in these last days “God has spoken to us through His Son”. What God has spoken is the Word of God

Love in Christ,
    Marty

And is that the case also in Revelation 19:13, Marty? Is the rider on the horse “that which God has spoken”?

If not, tell me in your own words what or who “Word of God” refers to in that verse. Kerwin, you're also invited to this little exercise.

Frank4YAHWEH
    Participant

Quote (jammin @ April 16 2012,12:16)

Quote (kerwin @ April 16 2012,07:42)

Quote (jammin @ April 15 2012,19:27)
    the topic is about john 1.1
    the Word is Christ. the father and the son have the same nature. john said, the Word was GOD.
    case closed

Jammin,

I applaud your figuring out that the Father and Son have the the Word nature.  Now if you can figure out that that nature has always been both in the innards of God and written on his heart and that God placed it in the innards of Jesus and wrote it on his heart by his Spirit; you will make progress.

sorry boy,
    but i believe what the bible says and not your opinion.
    you need to grow up kerwin. LOL

jammin,

Tell you mommy you need your diaper changed by crying frantically! :D

jammin
    Participant

yes frank, you need to change your diaper. LOL

let the bible speak
    Revelation 19:13

GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)
    13He wears clothes dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God.

John 1:1

Contemporary English Version (CEV)
    The Word of Life

1 In the beginning was the one
    who is called the Word.
    The Word was with God
    and was truly God.

Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ April 16 2012,02:29)

Quote (942767 @ April 14 2012,20:37)
    Hi Mike:

Is the “Word of God” Jesus in the following scripture?

Hbr 11:3   Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.  

Love in Christ,
    Marty

I don't know for sure, Marty.

The words could be referring to all things being created through Jesus, the Word of God, which would find support in Col 1:16, Heb 1:2, 1 Cor 8:6, and John 1:3.

OR……………….

In this case, it also could be referring to the universe being created at God's command.

I can not, at first glance, see any words or thoughts that incline my thinking one way or the other…………… can you?

And what about Luke 1:1-2?
    1 Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, 2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word.

This one leans a little more toward being about the man Jesus Christ for two reasons:

1.  Isn't anyone who has ever read the Law and the Prophets an “eyewitness” to God's written word?  So why emphasize and set apart Jesus' original disciples as being the only eyewitnesses of this particular word from the beginning?

2.  The disciples referred to Jesus as “Master”, and were definitely his “servants”.  I concede that, poetically speaking, one can “serve” the written word of God by following the Law and the Prophets, but again Luke emphasizes and sets aparts the original disciples that followed Jesus from the beginning of his ministry as the only servants of this particular word from the beginnning.

Surely Moses and Joshua and Samuel and King David were “servants” of God's written word all of their lives – but they are not the intended subjects of Luke's words.  Luke speaks of more recent men, who eyewitnessed and served Jesus from the beginning of his minstry.

What are your unbiased thoughts on the matter, Marty?

peace,
    mike

Hi Mike:

The “Word of God” is that which “God has spoken”. Of course God spoke through others prior to speaking to us through him, and this was in one way or another leading up to the advent of Jesus.

In Luke 1:2 it is the “Word of God” that God has spoken by “His Son” to which Luke is referring.

Hbr 1:1 ¶ God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

Hbr 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by [his] Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

God created all things Knowing his ultimate purpose which was to reconcile mankind to Himself through His Only Begotten Son whom he would conceive in the womb of the virgin Mary at a particular point in time.

God created all things by him, and for him and without him was nothing made that was made.

Hebrews 1:2 whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he(God) made the worlds;

The scriptures state that Jesus was foreordained. And to Jeremiah God states the following. It was the same with Jesus:

Jer 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, [and] I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi 94,
    Begotten son or conceived son?

Frank4YAHWEH
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 16 2012,13:27)
    Hi 94,

“Son of God” – What it ACTUALLY Means
    and
    Perfect, or Perfected?  Which applies to Messiah Yeshua?

1 John 4:9,10,14
    9 In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. 10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. … 14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son as Savior of the world.
    The New King James Version, (Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers) 1998, c1982.

In each of these verses, as numerous other verses, the distinction between Yeshua and YHWH is shown in how Yeshua is referred to as YHWH's (God's) Son.  There has never been a time in recorded history where a man and his son were one and the same being.  I again plead with Trinitarian Christians and those deceived by Christianized Messianic leaders to consider using common sense regarding the issue of Yeshua's deity.  Also note how distinction is shown by Yeshua being sent by YHWH.

The Scriptures generally describe all things relative to YHWH using human terms.  This literary technique, called anthropomorphism, is THE primary means used in Scripture to lead us into an understanding of YHWH (God).

Anthropomorphism: attribution of human characteristics to nonhumans: the attribution of a human form, human characteristics, or human behavior to nonhuman things such as deities in mythology and animals in children's stories.

This is commonly done in the Scriptures with reference to YHWH's “heart”, “hand”, “finger”, etc.  Attributes of personality such as “jealousy”, “will” or “desire”, “hate”, and many other “emotions” are anthropomorphic.  The reason for this technique is so that mankind, who is incapable of truly understanding the infinite Almighty, can grasp the basics of what is actually beyond our ability to understand.
    The reference to Yeshua as YHWH's “son” is one of these techniques.  It may surprise most Christians to realize Yeshua was not the ONLY “son of God” mentioned in Scripture!   Solomon was referred to as YHWH's son:

2 Samuel 7:14
       14 I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men: The King James Version, (Cambridge: Cambridge) 1769.

Proof of this referring to Solomon is found in 1 Chronicles 28:6

1 Chronicles 28:6 (KJV)
       6 And he (God) said unto me (David), Solomon thy son, he shall build my house and my courts: for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father.

It should be noted that verses regarding Solomon (and many other passages) are sometimes assumed to refer to Messiah.  I agree, however, I feel the correct standard method of interpreting Scripture is to first look for a DIRECT application.  ONLY when a direct interpretation is not available should one consider allegorical understandings.  Also, it is my opinion that many verses of Scripture may have a “near – far,” dual interpretation.  They have both direct (near) and indirect (far) meanings.  Christians usually disregard the direct, opting instead to spiritualize and allegorize Tanakh passages to fit their “dispensational” understandings.  Rabbinic Jews, on the other hand, seem to sometimes get too literal and disregard the possible allegorical/spiritual (far) interpretation of Messianic verses, which is very odd since the writings of Jewish Sages are so filled with deeper spiritual interpretations of Scripture (sod).  We must all admit that we are not at a level of spiritual oneness with Yahweh to know for certain, but I feel – as previously stated – that it is wrong to do as most Christians do, which is to make the Tanakh into an allegorical jungle of mystery.  We should also not become too attached to our near-far understandings unless they are implicitly obvious, since they are – by definition – beyond our abilities to perfectly understand.

Continuing with the sons of God mentioned in Scripture…  The entire nation of Israel is referred to as YHWH's sons!

Exodus 4:22
       22 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:
       The King James Version, (Cambridge: Cambridge) 1769.

Adam was the “son of God” also.

Luke 3:38
       38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

Of course, all TRUE followers of God's Holy instructions (Torah) are called sons of God.

Therefore it is SCRIPTURALLY accurate to say there is reference to well over 600,000 “sons of God” in the Bible, since Israel is God's son.  This is something Traditional Christian teachers hate to have revealed.

Exodus 12:37
       37 And the children of Israel journeyed from Rameses to Succoth, about six hundred thousand on foot that were men, beside children.

The fact is, the term “son of God” is always used in an anthropomorphic sense to refer to YHWH's representative(s).  Of course, as THE greatest, most obedient, and most exalted of ALL of YHWH's representatives, Yeshua is, indeed, THE “son of God”.  Yeshua is the ultimate tsadik, or pious and righteous servant and representative of God.  Also, of course, if one wishes to accept the virgin birth, Yeshua can be further seen as being a “son” of God.  However, as I show in the virgin birth article, the teaching that Yeshua was conceived of a virgin actually threatens Yeshua's claim to being the Messiah.

The New Testament actually suggests to us the exact moment that Yeshua was “begotten” of God!  Yes, believe it or not, we CAN know the precise time of the final “begetting” of Messiah Yeshua.  In Acts 13 Paul is speaking to those gathered in a synagogue of Antioch.  In this single chapter the entire gospel is summed up in one of the most concise presentations to be found anywhere in Scripture.  During this sermon Paul reveals the exact moment that Yeshua's “begotten” status was completed.

Acts 13:33
       33 God has fulfilled this for us their children, in that He has raised up Jesus. As it is also written in the second Psalm: “You are My Son, Today I have begotten You.”
       The New King James Version, (Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers) 1998, c1982.

The Psalm to which he refers is:

Psalm 2:7
       7 I will declare the decree: The Lord has said to Me, “You are My Son, Today I have begotten You.”

Thus, we see the SCRIPTURAL day Yeshua was begotten – THE SCRIPTURAL DAY HE FULLY BECAME THE SON OF GOD.  It was on the day of his resurrection.  This, also, is how he became the “firstfruits of the resurrection” and the full “son of God.”  The announcement of the angel Gabriel in Luke presents in the future tense the fact that Yeshua “will be called the Son of the Highest.”  This prophecy from Gabriel had it's fulfillment at Yeshua's resurrection.

Luke 1:32
       32 He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David.

As usual, I appeal to common sense.  One that is “begotten” is not eternal but has a beginning; therefore, the “begotten one” (Yeshua) cannot be the “Et
    ernal One,” YHWH (God).

I would argue that the resurrection is the COMPLETION of the PROCESS of Yeshua's becoming God's Son.  He was already His Son as defined previously in term's of being God's perfect representative, agent, Servant, and Anointed One.  For the reasons I discussed in the virgin birth article previously mentioned, I do not accept the virgin birth and consider it to be an attempt by those lead by the spirit of error (spirit of antichrist) to usurp Yeshua's rightful claim to be the Messiah of Israel since it eliminates the primary importance of him being of the LITERAL seed of David through the father AS SCRIPTURE DEMANDS!  Upon his resurrection, Messiah Yeshua became THE Son of the Highest due to the fact that Yeshua was the very first man EVER resurrected to eternal life!

Romans 1:3-4 NKJV
       3 concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, who was born of the seed of David according to the flesh,
       4 and declared to be the Son of God with power according to the Spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead.

Luke 20:36 NASB95
       36 for they cannot even die anymore, because they are like angels, and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection.

Was Messiah perfect, or was he perfected?

Some of you may be thinking, “What is so important about this question?  What difference does it make?”  To those having such thoughts, my response is that it is a very important question, the answer of which has enormous implications!

YHVH, the Living God, is perfect.  He is all-powerful.  He has no need to “grow” in any way, shape, or form!  Therefore, if it can be shown that Yeshua the Messiah BECAME perfect or grew in wisdom, then he is obviously not God!

Wow!  This is going to be easy!  Please read the following few verses.  There are more; however, if these do not prove to you that Yeshua is not God, then you must consider God to be imperfect and in need of growth.

Luke 2:40, 52 NKJV
       40 And the Child (Yeshua) grew and became strong in spirit, filled with wisdom; and the grace (favor) of God was upon Him. … 52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

Yeshua GREW in wisdom, strength, stature, etc., just like John the Baptist (see Luke 1:80).  This shows that Yeshua was not born “perfect” but BECAME perfected like all other righteous men of Israel (Yet Yeshua was the most Anointed One).

Hebrews 1:4 NKJV
       4 having become so much better than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

Hebrews 5:8-9 NKJV
       8 though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered. 9 And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him,

Hebrews 7:28 NKJV
       28 For the law appoints as high priests men who have weakness, but the word of the oath, which came after the law, appoints the Son who has been perfected forever.

It should be quite obvious that Yeshua was not born perfect, but he submitted his personal will to the will and Ruach (Spirit) of YHVH.  Therefore, he BECAME perfected and thus qualified as the Messiah of Israel.

My friend, please use common sense.  Yeshua was NOT perfect.  Instead, he BECAME perfected – he was perfected.  Since God is perfect and need not be perfected, Yeshua is obviously not God.

I sincerely long for the day when those that claim to exalt the Bible actually invest SERIOUS time and effort to studying Scripture.  Unfortunately, I am convinced that day may never come since very, very few Christians fear or love YHWH enough to truly place Him and His Word at the top of their list of priorities.  Yeshua will likely return to a world of 2 billion Christians, the vast majority of which are sadly ignorant regarding Scriptural truth – especially THE Scripture – the Tanakh.  MOST sadly, it will then be too late for them to change.
    SOURCE

Participant

Hi 94,

Hi Nick:

This is the event to which I refer.  Jesus was uniquely begotten of God in the womb of the virgin Mary.  Maybe I did not use the proper word.

Luk 1:31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name Jesus

Luk 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

Luk 1:33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

Luk 1:34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?

Luk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God

Love in Christ,
    Marty

jammin
    Participant

the word in john 1.1 is christ.
    you must stay to the topic.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi 94,
    Indeed he was.
    Conceived of the Holy Spirit.
    But his monogenes Sonship to God is not shared with Mary.

neither can we follow such a sonship

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Frank,
    Yes all the OT sons were sons by being given a share in the Spirit.
    Those who served God then still are alive to him because of the eternal Spirit.

Matthew 22:32
    I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 16 2012,14:14)
    Hi 94,
    Indeed he was.
    Conceived of the Holy Spirit.
    But his monogenes Sonship to God is not shared with Mary.

neither can we follow such a sonship

Hi Nick:

monogenes = unique No other other Son of God will ever be born this way. That is no other Son of God will ever be conceived in the womb of a woman by the Holy Ghost.

We who are born again Christians are born of His Spirit by the Spirit of adoption.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Frank4YAHWEH
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ April 16 2012,14:03)

Hi 94,

Hi Nick:

This is the event to which I refer.  Jesus was uniquely begotten of God in the womb of the virgin Mary.  Maybe I did not use the proper word.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty,

Begotten technically means 'to be born', right? Yahshua would have had to be conceived first then 9 months later begotten or born, right? The word 'conceive means 'to become pregnant', right? The article that I just posted makes it known that he was born or begotten and then much later was BORN and begotten AGAIN. Yahshua said that one must be “BORN AGAIN” to inherit the Kingdom, right?

Yahshua answered, “Truly, I tell you with certainty, unless one is born of water and Spirit he cannot enter the Kingdom of Yahweh. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the spirit is spirit. Do not be surprised that I said to you that you must be born again.

Participant

Quote (jammin @ April 16 2012,14:14)

Hi Jammin:

Where do the scriptures state that the Word in John 1:1 is Christ? Christ means the anointed one.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Frank4YAHWEH
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 16 2012,14:18)
    Hi Frank,

I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

Nick,

Mattithyah 22:32 is concerning the resurrection of the dead, right? Would not one who is resurrected from the dead in fact be alive again?

But regarding the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by Yahweh?: “I am the Mighty One of Abraham, the Mighty One of Isaac, and the Mighty One of Yaaqob.” So He is the Mighty One of the living, not the dead.

Frank4YAHWEH
    Participant

Quote (jammin @ April 16 2012,14:14)

jammit,

Who died and made you the moderator of this forum thread? :D

Frank4YAHWEH
    Participant

Quote (Frank4YAHWEH @ April 16 2012,14:44)

Hi Frank,

Nick,

Mattithyah 22:32 is concerning the resurrection of the dead, right? Would not one who is resurrected from the dead in fact be alive again?

But regarding the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by Yahweh?: “I am the Mighty One of Abraham, the Mighty One of Isaac, and the Mighty One of Yaaqob.” So He is the Mighty One of the living, not the dead.

Are not Abraham, Isaac, and Yaaqob dead at this time?

Frank4YAHWEH
    Participant

Quote (Frank4YAHWEH @ April 16 2012,14:58)

Quote (Frank4YAHWEH @ April 16 2012,14:44)

Hi Frank,

Nick,

Are not Abraham, Isaac, and Yaaqob dead at this time?

Is not the resurrection of the dead yet in the future?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Frank,
    No. Asleep.
    And alive to God.
    The Living Spirit does not die

Frank4YAHWEH
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 16 2012,15:00)
    Hi Frank,
    No. Asleep.
    And alive to God.
    The Living Spirit does not die

Nick,

So, you are one who believe in the “immortal soul” doctrine?

THE SOUL OF MAN
    By Voy Wilks
    1970, Revised 1993

Does man have an immortal soul dwelling within him? What happens to the soul when a man dies? Can a soul die? Or can it be that man IS a soul? Let us examine the Scriptures and learn, if possible, the correct answer to these questions. This is a biblical topic; therefore we should learn what the Sacred Writings teach.
    First: Why Read the Old Testament?

Some kindly people have suggested we, the Assembly of Yahweh (7th day), read the Old Testament too much. “Why not read more in the New Testament?” To answer that, let me point out:

1. ALL Scripture (both Old and New), if given by inspiration of Yahweh, is profitable, therefore we should read both the Old and the New.
    2. Old Testament Scriptures are many more in number, so naturally these require more reading time than do New Testament Scriptures. In most Bibles, the Old Testament consists of approximately 840 pages, while the New Testament consists of only about 240 pages.
    3. The Apostles PROVED their doctrine by Old Testament Scriptures.
    4. Of more importance, Yahshua the Messiah taught his disciples from the Old Scriptures. If we revere the Savior, we as his disciples, should revere the Holy Scriptures which he revered. He too, proved his doctrine by the ancient Scriptures, as is indicated in the following quotation:

“Man shall not live by bread alone, but BY EVERY WORD that proceeds out of the MOUTH OF YAHWEH” (Deut. 8:3; Mt. 4:4, KJV). This includes Old Testament Scriptures in general and the Ten Commandments in particular. Paul agrees:

” … from a child thou hast known the HOLY SCRIPTURES which are able to make thee wise UNTO SALVATION through faith which is in Messiah Yahshua. ALL Scripture given by inspiration of Yahweh is PROFITABLE for DOCTRINE, for REPROOF, for CORRECTION, and for INSTRUCTION IN RIGHTEOUSNESS: that the man of Yahweh may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto ALL good works” (2 Tim. 3:15-17.

Did Paul refer to New Testament writings? No. He referred to the Torah (the Books of Moses), the prophets, the Psalms, and the “Writings” (the Old Testament). Be assured that Paul did not refer to his own writings as “Holy Scriptures.” Instead, he referred to the Old Testament. So let us remember: Paul says Old Testament Scriptures are profitable for establishing DOCTRINE, therefore we too are justified in searching the Old Scriptures to learn what is true. To better understand about the Soul of Man, let us now consult Scriptures which deal with the soul, and discover how the word is used.

Old Testament Evidence:
    Astonishing Revelations About the Soul
    Gen 46:18 -Souls (KJV) Persons (RSV)
    Lev. 5:1,2 -Souls (KJV) Anyone (RSV)
    Lev. 5:4 -Souls (KJV) Anyone (RSV).
    Lev. 5:17 -Souls (KJV) Anyone (RSV).
    Lev. 7:21 -Souls (KJV) Person (RSV).
    Lev. 7:27 -Souls (KJV) Whoever (RSV).
    Lev. 20: 25 -Souls (KJV) Yourselves (RSV).
    Lev. 22:11 -Souls (KJV) Slave (RSV).
    Lev. 23:32 -Souls (KJV) Yoursleves (RSV).
    Num. 30:4 -Souls (KJV) Herself (RSV).

Young's Concordance: When we look at the word SOUL in Young's Concordance, we find that the Hebrew word is NEPHESH, meaning “animal soul.” Here are some very revealing ways NEPHESH is translated in the King James Bible.
    Translated No. of Times Translated No. of Times
    Appetite 4 Soul 428
    Beast 2 Thing 2
    Body 2 Lust 2
    Body 7 Creature 9
    Dead (body) 8 Own 1
    Desire 5 Will 4
    Man 3 Fish 1
    Mind 15 Life 119
    Person 30 Self 19

Strong's Concordance: “nephesh #5315, a breathing creature, i.e. animal or (abstract) vitality, etc.”

The Nephesh (Soul, Life) Is In the Blood

As noted above, Nephesh is translated SOUL 428 times. However, it is translated LIFE 119 times. Let us at this time review some of the Scriptures in which Nephesh (soul) is translated life in the KJV.

Gen. 9:3-5. “Every moving thing that liveth shall be meet [food] for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things. But flesh with the LIFE [nephesh #5315, soul] thereof, WHICH IS THE BLOOD thereof, shall ye not eat. And surely your BLOOD of your LIVES [nephesh # 5315, soul] will I require: at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require LIFE [nephesh #5315, soul] of man.”

Gen. 19:17-19. “Escape for you LIFE [nephesh #5315, soul]; look not behind thee, … lest thou be consumed. … Behold now, … though has magnified thy mercy which thou hast showed unto me in saving my LIFE” [nephesh #5315, soul].

Lev. 17:10-15. “And whatsoever man there be of the house of Israel, or of the STRANGERS that sojourn among you, that EATETH ANY BLOOD; I will even set my face against that SOUL [nephesh] that EATETH BLOOD, and cut him off from among his people. For the LIFE [nephesh, soul] IS IN THE BLOOD: and I have given it to you upon the alter to, make an atonement for your SOULS [nephesh]: for it is the blood that maketh atonement for the SOUL [nephesh]. Therefore I said unto the children of Israel, No SOUL [nephesh] of you shall eat BLOOD, neither shall any stranger that sojourneth among you eat blood. … For it is the LIFE [nephesh, soul] of ALL FLESH; the BLOOD of it is for the LIFE [NEPHESH, SOUL] IS THE BLOODA thereof: … And every SOUL [nephesh] that eateth …” (KJV).

Num. 35:31. “Moreover you shall accept no ransom for the LIFE [nephesh, soul] of the murderer, … he shall be put to death” (RSV)

Deut. 12:23. “Only be sure that thou eat not the blood: FOR the BLOOD IS the LIFE [nephesh, soul] with the Flesh” (KJV)

1 Sam 19:11. ” … and Michal … told him, If thou save not thy LIFE [nephesh, soul] tonight, tomorrow thou shalt be slain.”

Job 2:6. “And Yahweh said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand; but SAVE HIS LIFE [nephesh, soul].” What is this? Satan, “a soul saver.” This seems humorous, but it helps in understanding the word nephesh (soul).

Isa. 53:12. ” … because he hath POURED OUT HIS SOUL unto DEATH.”

ECCL. 9:5. The DEAD KNKOW NOTHING at all. This brings to mind an illustration someone made regarding the common view that the DEAD are WISE and know EVERYTHING. Reason: because the “immortal soul” has gone to heaven. He said, “Hit a man on the head with a half pound hammer, and immediately he knows nothing at all because he becomes unconscious. But, hit a man on the head with a 10 pound hammer, and soon he knows EVERYTHING because he is dead. Foolish? Yes, indeed. But it shows the folly of believing the dead know everything, and are more ACUTELY ALIVE than the living ? than before death overtook them.

Souls [Nephesh] Equal Persons

It is interesting to notice that many Scriptures in which the King James Version uses the word SOUL, other versions use words which better convey the true meaning: PERSON, anyone, yourself, yourselves, he who, etc. For your convenience, here are listed a few of these Scriptures from both the KJV and the RSV.
    Gen 46:18 -Souls (KJV) Persons (RSV)
    Lev. 5:1,2 -Souls (KJV) Anyone (RSV)
    Lev. 5:4 -Soul (KJV) Anyone (RSV)
    Lev. 5:17 -Soul (KJV) Anyone (RSV)
    Lev. 7:21 -Soul (KJV) Person (RSV)
    Lev. 7:27 -Soul (KJV) Whoever (RSV)
    Lev. 20:25 -Soul (KJV) Yourselves (RSV)
    Lev. 22:11 -Soul (KJV) Slave (RSV).
    Lev. 23:32 -Soul (KJV) Yourselves (RSV).
    Num. 30:4 -Soul (KJV) Herself (RSV).

NEPHESH (#5315, soul) is also translated “dead,” meaning “dead person” in the following Scriptures: Lev. 19:28; 21:1; 22-4; Num. 5:2; 6:11.

Living Creatures: Fishes, Bugs, and Animals Are Souls (Neph
    esh)

The Hebrew word NEPHESH (#5315) is in the King James Version translated LIVING CREATURE nine times. The interesting thing is, these “creatures” [nephesh, souls] are bugs, fishes, birds, and animals:

* Living creatures (nephesh, souls) = fishes in the sea and birds of the air (Gen. 1:21).
    * Living creatures (nephesh, souls) = cattle of the field (Gen. 1:24).
    * Living creatures (nephesh, souls) = beasts of the earth (Gen. 1:24).
    * Adam named every LIVING CREATURES [nephesh, soul] (Gen. 2:19).
    * Every LIVING CREATURE [nephesh, soul] came out of the ark (Gen. 9:10, 12).
    * The rainbow was a covenant between YHWH and LIVING CREATURES [nephesh, souls] (Gen. 9:15, 16).
    * Man's food consists of living creatures (nephesh, souls); i.e. animals, fowls, and bugs, which are in the seas, or which creep upon the earth (Lev. 11:46).

As you will remember, several Scriptures show that the LIFE is in the BLOOD. The blood itself is referred to as the soul. DEAD BODIES also, are souls. It is now easy to see that a breathing creature is a LIVING soul; and one who has breathed his last, is a DEAD soul. These Scriptures from the Old Testament are more than enough to show that the words SOUL and LIFE are often used interchangeable. The SOUL can refer to the whole person, the physical person, and to the BLOOD within a person. The soul can die from various causes. Again, let us stress these points:

1. The soul [nephesh] is the person, the human being (mail or female), and the living creatures.
    2. The soul [nephesh] can die; can be killed by various means; by the sword, lack of food etc.
    3. The LIFE [nephesh] is in the blood
    4. Death results when the blood is poured out of the soul.
    5. A dead body is a dead soul [nephesh].

New Testament Evidence

Psuche = Life (Animal life, breath {Young's Concordance})

The Greek word in the New Testament from which “soul” is translated is PSUCHE. It appears in the Greek New Testament 103 times and, in the KJV, was translated: SOUL, 58 times; LIFE, 40 times; HEART, 1 time; and MIND, 3 times.

Lk. 2:35 – A SWORD shall pierce thy soul (psuche obviously = body).

Lk. 12:19 – His soul (psuche = person) enjoyed eating, drinking, and making merry.

Lk. 12:20 – His soul (psuche = life) would be required of him that very night.

Luke 12:19, 20. “And I will say to my soul [psuche], soul [psuche] thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. But El said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul [psuche] shall be required of thee: …”

We see in the New Testament, just as in the Old, that the soul enjoys eating and drinking. These verses could read as follows with no change in meaning:

“I will say to myself: Man, you have ample goods laid up for many years; take your ease, eat, drink, be merry. But El said to him, 'Fool! This night your life will be required of you.'”

The same Greek word (psuche, soul) appears as life in the following verses:

Yahshua said, “Take no thought for your life {psuche}, what you shall eat; … The life {psuche} is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment.”

The Psuche (Soul) Can be Destroyed (Die)

Mt. 3:10. “And now the axe is laid unto the Root of the trees; therefore, every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire”. Notice: it is the tree that is hewn down and BURNED, not just the FRUIT, of the tree.

Mt. 3:12. “The chaff he will burn up with unquenchable fire.” So it is not that the wicked souls will only be SEPARATED from Yahweh. They will be DESTROYED in the fire ­­- BURNED UP – annihilated, cease to exist.

Acts 3:23. The soul that does not hear, shall be destroyed. The New Scriptures, then, agrees with the Old: The soul that sinneth, it shall die; be destroyed. Not only will the soul be separated from Yahweh, but the soul will DIE – cease to live.

James 5:20. A formula for saving a soul (a person) from death.

1 Pet. 3:20. Eight souls [persons, RSV] were saved by water. This refers to Noah and his family; physical human beings.

Rev. 16:3. The SOULS {psuche} in the sea died because the sea became like the blood of a dead man. (The R.S.V. reads, “EVERY LIVING THING died that was in the sea”). This includes the fishes (souls).

Rev 18:3-14. Tells about the souls (PSUCHE) lusting after trade goods, food, etc. This clearly shows the soul (the person) is not IMMORTAL. Man is very MORTAL, very human, and is dependent upon food, raiment, and shelter – the blessings of the earth.

Does the Soul Leave the Body At Death?

Some believe the souls of the righteous leave the body at death and go to heaven, and the souls of the wicked leave the body at death and go to hell. Is this really true? Let us consider: Yahshua was without sin, a righteous man. If righteous souls go to heaven at death, then Yahshua's soul should by all means have gone to heaven when he died.

Again: If there ever was a soul which should have gone to heaven at death, then Yahshua's soul should have made the trip. Did this happen? No. Scriptures indicate Yahshua's soul went to hell – for three days and three nights (Acts 2:27-31). It did not go to heaven. Instead, it went to hell – the grave. This illustrates two significant points:

1. The souls of the righteous do not go to heaven when the person dies.
    2. Generally speaking, the SOUL and the PERSON are one and the same thing. A “living soul” is a living person, and a “dead soul” is a dead person.

The Good News is: Yahshua's soul (psuche) was not left in hell (Acts 2:31). He came forth from the grave after three days and three nights. Praise Yahweh! But to continue:

Mt. 2:20. Arise, … for they are dead who sought the young child’s LIFE (psuche, soul).

Mt. 16:25, 26. “For whoever will save his LIFE (psuche) shall lose it: and whoever shall loose his LIFE (psuche)? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his SOUL (psuche).”

Both “LIFE” and “SOUL” appear twice in these verses. All four are translated from the same Greek word, PSUCHE. Here, “life” and “soul” can be interchanged with no loss of meaning. In fact, all are translated “life” in the following versions:
    American Standard Version Jerusalem Bible
    Berkeley Version Jewish New Testament
    Bible in Basic English New Revised Standard Version
    Concordant Version New World Translation
    Diaglott Revised Standard Version
    Emphasized Bible The Sacred Scriptures, Bethel Edition
    Good News Bible Weymouth Version

We have seen people die; therefore we have seen with our own eyes that death is final. There is no part of man which lives on. All is lost; a total, TOTAL LOSS. One moment there is life, breath, thought, action. The next moment there I no breath, no thought, no life, no action. LIFE is replaced by Death. We have seen it, so we know, even without any outside help that were it not for the heavenly Father, death is the end.

In fact, that is why Yahshua was offered as a ransom for us – because we DO NOT have immortality (Ezek. 18:4, 20). Immortality (everlasting life) is a gift of Yahweh (Rom. 6:23); a reward promised to the faithful (Rev. 2A:7, 11). We are to “seek for glory, honor, and immortality, eternal life” (Rom 2:7). We do not have immortality yet, but Yahshua has brought it to light; has made it known; has revealed it to us (2 Tim. 1:10). Therefore we now see how to achieve immortality.

Again, man does not at this time possess immortality. Never once does the Bible speak of the “immortal soul.” These two words never appear together. Paul wrote that only Yahweh has immortality (1 Tim. 6:16). Therefore, no human being living today possesses immortality. We put on immortality only at the resurrection (1 Cor. 15:42-54).

Summary

We have found the Scriptures teach:

1. Soul and person are one and the same thing, generally speaking.
    2. The life of the soul is the blood
    3. When th
    e blood is poured out, the result is death to the soul.
    4. A living being is a living soul; a dead person is a dead soul.
    5. When a person dies, the soul does not go to heaven.
    6. A person (a human being) IS a soul, therefore:
    7. A soul can die, give up life, cease to exist.

Death is NOT life. Death is the opposite of life. In a moment of time a vital, living, intelligent being can be changed to a lifeless, dead body which knows nothing at all. It is the same with humans and with animals. All die and go to the same place – we return to dust, as Scriptures indicate:

“For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. They all have the same breath, and man has no advantage over the beat … All go to one place; all are from the dust, and all turn to dust again” (Eccl. 3:19-20).

Response to Objections

Gen. 35:18. Perhaps some will refer to the death of Rachel. When we understand about the “soul” there is no problem or contradiction here. We have already seen that the soul refers to the life, as well as the body itself. So when life departed from Rachel, she died. Remember. This equivalent word was translated life 119 times in the KJV. It would have been completely proper to have written” … as her LIFE was departing (for she died) …” The meaning is the same.

Rev. 6:9 & 20:4. John saw the souls of those who had been beheaded. The Diaglott reads, “I saw the persons of those who had been beheaded … “ Since SOUL means the “person” (the being), as well as “life” there is no problem in this passage. When Yahweh breathed into Adam’s nostrils, he became a LIVING soul; a LIVING BEING (RSV). Without breath, we become DEAD BEINGS, OR DEAD SOULS.

Mt. 10:28. And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him who is about to destroy both SOUL and BODY in hell” (KJV).

Many believe that some part of man is undying (immortal). If true, not even Yahweh can destroy it. But this scripture and many more say that Yahweh can and will destroy (kill, put to death) the SOULS THAT SIN; Ezek. 18:4, 20, 26; Acts 3:23; Mt.. 3:10; Ps. 37:10, 20, 36, 38; Rev. 20:14, 15; 2 Thes. 1:9; to name only a few.

“Be not afraid of those who kill the body, but cannot destroy the {future} life; but rather fear Him who can utterly destroy both life and body in gehenna” (Mt. 10:28, Diaglott).

Verse 39 reveals this is speaking of the future life (psuche): those who deny Yahshua here and now in order to save this present life will lose the future life, but those who lose the present life for the Messiah will find (everlasting) life (psuche) in the future. Man can kill the body but cannot kill in such a way as to prevent Yahweh from giving us a better resurrection (Heb. 11:35); that is, everlasting life, as Scriptures reveal: “He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death” (Rev. 2:10, 11).

Please notice: There is no such thing as immortality separate and apart form Yahweh. He can destroy both soul and body in hell. Destruction is NOT everlasting life in hell. The wicked will one day cease to exist. They will be annihilated (Mt. 3:10-12; 13:30).

1 Thes. 5:23. “And the very El of peace sanctify you holy; and I pray El your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Savior Yahshua Messiah.”

Keeping in mind the things we have learned above, let us write this sentence in other words, but with the same meaning:

“ … I pray El your whole spirit [mind] and soul [psuche = life] and body be preserved …”

Phil. 1:21-23. “For me to live is Messiah, and to die is gain. But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labor: Yet what I shall choose I I wot not. For I am in a strait betixt two, having a desire to depart, and be with Messiah, which is far better.”

The Apostle Paul had been arrested by Jewish authorities in Jerusalem because he preached that Yahshua is the Messiah. He was forced to appeal to Ceasar. The letter to the Philippians was written in 64 C. E. while he was a prisoner in Rome (Phil.1:7, 12-24; 2 Tim. 1:16, 17). At his first trial before Caesar in C.E. 66, no one stood with Paul. All deserted him (2 Tim. 4:16-18). While writing this letter to the Philippians, Paul debated with himself whether he would (1) gain his freedom or (2) be executed. In either case, he belonged to Yahshua Messiah. Should he live, he would live for the Messiah. Should he be executed, he would die as a martyr for the Messiah. There was “gain” for him in doing so (Phil. 1:21). What is the gain Paul expected? Immediate entrance into Yahshua’s presence in heaven? No. The gain was a “better resurrection” (Heb. 11:35). Paul makes this clear in his continuing comments to the Philippians:

“Indeed I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Messiah Yahshua my Savior. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as refuse, in order that I might gain Messiah and be found in him, … that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that IF POSSIBLE I may attain the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect; but I press on to make it my own, because Messiah Yahshua has made me his own. Brethren, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but one thing I do, forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of Yahweh in Messiah Yahshua” (Phil. 3:8-14, RSV).

Now back to Phil. 1:23: Our English Versions appears to say that if Paul departed, he would have been immediately ushered into the presence of Yahshua. As noted above, this was not the case. He awaited the resurrection. Paul himself wrote that it is at the Messiah’s return that the resurrection occurs, and only then the “dead in Messiah will rise first, then we who are alive, who are left, shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet Yahshua in the air; and so we shall always be with Yahshua” (1 Thes. 4:16, 17 RSV). What then, is the meaning of Phil. 1:23?

The key to understanding is the word “depart” (Greek = analuo). This word appears only twice in the New Testament. The other time it is translated “return.” What? “Return” is the very opposite of “depart.” True, but look at the Scripture:

“ … And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their master, when he will RETURN [analuo] from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately. Blessed are those servants, whom the Master when he cometh shall find watching: …” (Luke 12:36, 37).

We see that “analuo” is definitely related to the Messiah’s return, not his going away. There is other evidence indicating analuo should be translated return in Phil. 1:23. In consulting the Diaglott and the NIV Greek/English Interlinear, the correct message appears to be as follows:

“For I am in a strait between two, having a desire for the return, and to be with Messiah; which is far better” [than either of the choices named in verse 21] (Phil. 1:23).

The Interlinear does indeed contain the words, “for the.” English translations omit them, however. This could have happened in al sincerity, since most Bible scholars believe the soul goes to be with the Messiah immediately after death. Paul speaks of three things in particular in Phil. 1:21-23.

1. Paul might be executed.
    2. Paul might be acquitted, and live to go free.
    3. Paul longed for the return, so he could be with the Messiah.

A Final Comment

The view that man has within him an immortal soul which flits off to heaven or to hell at the death of the person is not a biblical doctrine. It has been adopted from the pagan religions. Believing in the immortality of the soul is one step toward believing in re-incarnation. Let us drop all paganism and believe t
    he Sacred Writings which have been inspired by the Most High El – Yahweh (2 Tim. 3:14-17).V
    SOURCE

Viewing 20 posts - 6,041 through 6,060 (of 25,908 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account