JOHN 1:1 who is the WORD?

Viewing 20 posts - 5,961 through 5,980 (of 25,908 total)
  • Author
    Frank4YAHWEH
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 13 2012,10:54)
    Hi Frank,
    The Spirit is all.

Nick,

You are being short! What you have just said could mean just about anything you wish it to say and could be interpreted in diverse ways by anyone. If you can not respond to me more specifically or in an in depth manner, maybe you would do well as not to respond to my post any longer in the future? I would appreciate it very much in fact. I also will no longer respond to your foolishness. There are a number of others here that I feel the same way about, so don't feel lonely. :D

Frank4YAHWEH
    Participant

ELOHIM: ONE, OR MORE THAN ONE?

Exodus 32

By Voy Wilks

3/9/98

The Hebrew word elohim, even though a plural, is in most places treated as a singular when referring to the one and only Yahweh, indicated by singular pronouns which accompany Elohim; I, me, mine, he, him, his, etc. Sometimes elohim appears in Scriptures even when referring to one pagan god (idol). This is made clear in Exodus chapter 32.

The Israelites said to Aaron, “Up, make us gods which shall go before us, …” Ex. 32:1, KJV). So Aaron fashioned a golden calf and the Israelites said, “”These be thy gods, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt!” (Ex. 32:4,8, KJV).

Gods (Ex. 32:1,4,8) comes from the word elohim, of course, If read only casually, these verses would seem to indicate more than one god, or idol, had been made. But notice the remaining words in this bit of history:

0     Aaron fashioned it (the elohim) with a tool (Ex. 32:4).

0     Aaron built an altar for it {not them} (Ex. 32:5).

0     For they have made a molten calf {only one calf} (Ex. 32:8).

0     And have worshiped it (singular, Ex. 32:8).

0     Moses entered the camp and saw the calf (only one calf, Ex. 32:19).

0     Moses destroyed the calf (singular, not calves, plural, Ex. 32:20).

0     There came out this calf (singular, Ex. 32:24).

0     Yahweh plagued the people because they made the calf (singular, Ex. 32:35).

0     Yea, when they had made them a molten calf, and said, “This is thy god [elohim]  that brought thee up out
    of Egypt …” (Neh. 9:18.

0     They made a calf [only one calf]  in Horeb, and worshiped the molten image” (only one image, Ps. 106:19).

0     They made a calf (only one calf) in those days (Acts 7:41).

Several times the word elohim appears in these verses, More than a dozen times, words are employed which indicate clearly that elohim can be used as singular as well as a plural. This also come through clearly in another quotation from Moses, as follows:

“And I looked, and, behold, ye … had made you a molten calf: … And I took your sin, the molten calf which ye made, and burnt it with fire, and stamped it, and ground it very small, until it was small as dust …” (Duet. 9:12,16,21).

Only one god (elohim), and only one calf; the golden calf.

Note: The word “these” in the phrase, “these be thy gods” (Ex. 32:4,8), can also be translated “this,” as indicated in Neh. 9:18, and in Strong's Concordance. Obviously, Ex. 32:4 should have been translated, “This is the god who brought you up out of the land of Egypt.” On another occasion, a single calf (one calf) was referred to as elohim:

“I have spurned your calf  O Samaria. … A workman made it; it *is not god [elohim]. The calf of Samaria shall be broken to pieces” (Hosea 8:5,6).

* Webmaster's Note: The word “god [elohim]” in the above verse is not in reference to Yahweh as “Elohim”, but is in reference to an idol god [elohim] with no power, strength or might and can also be translated as follows:

“… A workman made it; it has no power [strength, might] whatsoever.”

End Webmaster's Note

Moses An Elohim To Aaron And Pharaoh

But Moses said to Yahweh, Oh my Yahweh, I am not eloquent, … Then  … Yahweh … said, “Is there not Aaron your brother, the Levite? … He shall speak for you to the people; and he shall be a mouth for you, and you [Moses] shall be to him as *god [elohim]” (Ex. 4:10-16).

And Yahweh said to Moses, “See, I make you as *god [elohim] to Pharaoh; …” (Ex. 7:1).

* Webmaster's Note: The above two verses can also be translated in the following manner:

“… and you [Moses] shall be to him as *one with power [authority]” (Ex. 4:10-16).

… “See, I make you as *one with power [authority] to Pharaoh; … (Ex. 7:1).

Moses as a spokesman for Yahweh communicated to Aaron what Yahweh had communicated to him. Aaron in turn acted as a spokesman for Moses in communicating to Pharaoh what Yahweh had said to Moses, since Aaron was more eloquent in speaking than Moses.

End Webmaster's Note

From these Scriptures we see that Moses became an elohim to Pharaoh and to his brother Aaron. Question: What was the numerical value of Moses?  Did he consist of one, two or three persons? All must agree; there was only one Moses. Nevertheless,  the ONE man, Moses, was elohim (plural, indicating authority and majesty). Again, there was only one Moses, not two or three.

Chemosh An Elohim

“Will you not possess what Chemosh your elohim gives you to possess?” (Judges 11:24).

Chemosh (singular) was an elohim.

Dagon An Elohim

The second time Dagon fell over, his head and hands were broken off, putting fear into the Philistines (1 Sam. 5:1-6). Notice in the next verse the use of the word elohim (plural), even though there was only one statue. The men of Ashdod said,

“The ark of Elohim must not remain with us; for his hand is heavy upon us, and upon Dagon our elohim” (1 Sam. 5:7, RSV).

Ashtoreth, Chemosh & Milcom

“… because he [Israel] has forsaken me and worshiped Ashtoreth the goddess [elohim] of the Sidonians, Chemosh the god (elohim), of Moab, and Milcom the god [elohim] of the Ammorites, and have not walked in My ways …” (1 Kings 11:33).

IN THE MAJORITY OF CASES, ELOHIM EQUALS ONLY ONE

The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia

Eerdman's Publishing Company, Volume Two, 1984, Page 1254

“One of the oldest and most widely distributed terms for deity known to the human race is el, with its derivations 'Elim, 'Elohim, and Eloah. Like theos, Deus and God, it is a generic term, including every member of the class deity. It may even denote a position of honor and authority among men. …  It is, therefore, a general term expressing majesty and authority, … By far the most frequent form used by O. T. writers is the plural, 'Elohim, but they use it regularly with singular verbs and adjectives to denote a singular idea. Several explanations have been offered of this usage of a plural term to denote a singular idea – it expresses the fullness and manifoldness of the divine nature, or that it is a plural of majesty used in the manner of royal persons, …” (Some of the emphasis was added by Voy).

The New Bible Dictionary

Eerdman's Publishing Company, 1979, Page 478

“Elohim: Though a plural form, Elohim can be treated as a singular, in which case it means the one supreme deity, …”

Theological Word Book of the Old Testament

By Harris, Archer & Waltke, Volume One, 1980, page 44

“'Elohim. God gods, judges, angels. … This word, which is generally viewed as the plural of eloah,' is found more frequently in Scripture than either 'el' or 'eloah' for the true God. The plural ending is usually described as a plural of majesty and not intended as a true plural of God. This is seen in the fact that the noun 'elohim' is consistently used with singular verb forms and with adjectives and pronouns in the singular.”

Footnote in the Emphasized Bible – Genesis 1:1

By J. B. Rotherham, 1897

“Hebrew: 'elohim. “Probably a plural of quality = 'God-head, ' as our 'Lordship' = Lord (Davies, H.L.. p 9). It should be carefully observed, that although 'elohim is plural in form, yet when, as here, it is construed with a verb in the singular, it is naturally singular in sense, especially since the 'plural of quality' or 'excellence'  abounds in Hebrew in cases where the reference is undeniably to something that which must be understood in the singular number.”

The Zondervan Pictorial Bible Dictionary

Zondervan Publishing House, 1982, Page 248

“Elohim, the most frequent Hebrew word for God (over 2,500 times in the O. T.). Elohim is plural in form, but is singular in
    construction (used with singular verbs and adjectives). When applied to the one true God, the plural is due to the Hebrew idiom of a plural of magnitude or majesty.”

In the majority of cases, the word elohim is used in Scriptures as a singular term. There is only ONE (one) Yahweh, not two, three, or a dozen. There is no Trinity. There is no Twinity. There is no duality. Instead, there is only ONE and only one true Deity. That one true Deity is Yahweh, just as Yahshua reported:

And one of the scribes … asked him, “What commandment is first of all?” Yahshua answered, “The first is, “Here O Israel: Yahweh our Elohim, Yahweh is ONE; …” (Mark 12:28-30; quoted from Deut. 6:4).

From these Scriptures we see that it is not optional. We are commanded to believe that Yahweh is ONE (O-N-E), not two or three.

“And this is eternal life, that we know thee the only true El, and Yahshua Messiah whom thou has sent” (John 17:3).

Scriptures reveal that elohim can be correctly used in referring to one, or to more than one object or person. Since many Scriptures proclaim there is only one Yahweh, then we can be sure the phrase, Yahweh the Elohim of Israel” refers to only one person, one being, one El, one Deity. There is no other (Neh. 9:6; Isa. 43:10-13; 44:6; 45:18,22; John 17:3).

“To you [Israel] it was shown, that you might know that Yahweh is Elohim; there is no other besides him [not them or us]. Out of heaven he let you here his voice … know therefore this day, and lay it to your heart, that Yahweh is Elohim in heaven above and on the earth beneath; there is no other” (Deut. 4:35-39, RSV).

The Books of Deuteronomy and Psalms confirm that the title Elohim is sometimes used as a singular noun:

“For Yahweh your God (El) is God (Elohim) of gods (elohim) and Lord of lords, the great, the mighty, and the terrible God (El), …” (Deut. 10:17, RSV).

“Oh give thanks to the God (Elohim) of gods (elohim), for his steadfast love endures forever” (Ps. 136:2, RSV).

The one Yahweh is the Elohim (singular) of elohim (plural); the GOD of gods. Te ONE Yahweh, this ONE  Elohim, is referred to 36 times throughout Psalm 136 by singular pronouns; HE, HIS, and HIM, indicating one person.

We see then, elohim, even thou technically a plural, often refers to the ONE Yahweh, the ONE true El.

Conclusion

The evidence is conclusive: The word elohim is sometimes singular. This is certainly true when referring to Yahweh (Deut 6:4,5; Mark 12:28-30). There is only ONE (one) Yahweh, not two, three, or a dozen.

For further study, see “Elohim: Singular Or Plural?” Other free literature is available from:

Assembly of Yahweh (7th Day)
    Box 509, Cisco, TX 76437
    SOURCE

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Frank,
    But you mainly post the cut and pasted thoughts of yourself and others.
    Does anything good happen except by the Spirit of God?
    Most arguments can end right there

Frank4YAHWEH
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 13 2012,11:37)
    Hi Frank,
    But you mainly post the cut and pasted thoughts of yourself and others.
    Does anything good happen except by the Spirit of God?
    Most arguments can end right there

Nick,

I am growing tired of your short and snide (especially the kind that you made against me yesterday) remarks and those of others who are uneducated as you. If you keep making short and snide remarks to me, then you will only receive the same from me in return. Now go lay down somewhere and leave me the hell alone! :D

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ April 13 2012,06:20)

Quote (kerwin @ April 12 2012,18:11)
    It does not follow that because Jesus is called by the name of the Word of God in Revelations 19:13 that he is the Word spoken of in John 1:1.

It absolutely DOES follow if you'd take off the blinders, Kerwin.

Who else had the glory of God's only begotten Son when he became flesh?  

Who else was with God in the beginning, having glory of his own?  

What other “Word” did John and the others see with their own eyes and handle with their own hands?

Who else said, “I came down from heaven”?

Who else was existing in the form of God before being made into the likeness of a human being?

The fact that the identity of the Word is spelled out for you in Revelation 19:13 makes me wonder if you truly can't see it, or if you purposely refuse to see it for your own personal reasons.

Mike,

The abstract concept known as the Word of God works better when you understand personifications.

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (Frank4YAHWEH @ April 13 2012,06:16)

Quote (kerwin @ April 13 2012,10:32)

Quote (Frank4YAHWEH @ April 13 2012,05:20)

Quote (kerwin @ April 12 2012,15:07)

Quote (Frank4YAHWEH @ April 12 2012,05:20)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 12 2012,10:12)
    Hi FRank,
    The Word was of the Spirit and only became flesh in Jesus at the Jordan making him Jesus Christ, the Word.

Nick,

Father Yahweh's word was revealed in the flesh long before Yahshua came on the scene. Remember that Yahshua is the prophet like unto Moshe.

Frank,

Jesus is greater than Mosses even though he is also a prophet like him.

kerwin,

I made no mention that one was greater than the other.

Frank,

Jesus is the Way; Abraham is not; who is the greater?

kerwin,

I made no mention of Abraham in my post. I did make mention of Moshe though.

Both Abraham and Moshe were also the way to Yahweh in their time periods just as Yahshua is the way in this last time period.

You asks who is the greater of the prophets, right? Note what is said in the following:

Concerning Moshe:

Now Yahshua son of Nun was filled with the spirit of wisdom because Moshe had laid his hands on him. So the Ysrylites listened to him and did what Yahweh had commanded Moshe. Since then, no prophet has risen in Ysryl like Moshe, whom Yahweh knew face to face, who did all those miraculous signs and wonders Yahweh sent him to do in Egypt–to Pharaoh and to all his officials and to his whole land (Deuteronomy 34:9-11).

Concerning Yahchanan the Immerser

I tell you, among those born of women there is no one greater than Yahchanan; yet the one who is least in the Kingdom of Yahweh is greater than he (Lukyah 7:28).

I tell you the truth: Among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than Yahchanan the Immerser; yet he who is least in the Kingdom of Yahweh he is greater than he (Mattithyah 11:11).

Note also that Yahshua said that the apostles, his students [“disciples”], and those who come after them would do greater works than he had done:

I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father (Yahcahnan 14:12).

Frank,

Jesus is the Way they do greater works than he, himself.

Frank4YAHWEH
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ April 13 2012,12:16)

Hi FRank,
    The Word was of the Spirit and only became flesh in Jesus at the Jordan making him Jesus Christ, the Word.

Nick,

Father Yahweh's word was revealed in the flesh long before Yahshua came on the scene. Remember that Yahshua is the prophet like unto Moshe.

Frank,

kerwin,

Frank,

kerwin,

Both Abraham and Moshe were also the way to Yahweh in their time periods just as Yahshua is the way in this last time period.

You asks who is the greater of the prophets, right? Note what is said in the following:

Concerning Moshe:

Now Yahshua son of Nun was filled with the spirit of wisdom because Moshe had laid his hands on him. So the Ysrylites listened to him and did what Yahweh had commanded Moshe. Since then, no prophet has risen in Ysryl like Moshe, whom Yahweh knew face to face, who did all those miraculous signs and wonders Yahweh sent him to do in Egypt–to Pharaoh and to all his officials and to his whole land (Deuteronomy 34:9-11).

I tell you, among those born of women there is no one greater than Yahchanan; yet the one who is least in the Kingdom of Yahweh is greater than he (Lukyah 7:28).

I tell you the truth: Among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than Yahchanan the Immerser; yet he who is least in the Kingdom of Yahweh he is greater than he (Mattithyah 11:11).

Note also that Yahshua said that the apostles, his students [“disciples”], and those who come after them would do greater works than he had done:

I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father (Yahcahnan 14:12).

Frank,

kerwin,

YOUR “Jesus” is not the way that I will ever go!

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi ,
    All in Christ Jesus are greater than John as he is greater than John.

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (Frank4YAHWEH @ April 13 2012,07:20)

Hi FRank,

Nick,

Frank,

kerwin,

Frank,

kerwin,

Concerning Moshe:

Frank,

kerwin,

Frank,

That is sad for all that go through him will be like God in true righteousness and holiness. That is why those who love sin will not come into the light.

God promises those that enter the new covenant they will stop sinning if they persevere.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (kerwin @ April 12 2012,19:02)

It does not follow that because Jesus is called by the name of the Word of God in Revelations 19:13 that he is the Word spoken of in John 1:1.

What other “Word” did John and the others see with their own eyes and handle with their own hands?

Who else was existing in the form of God before being made into the likeness of a human being?

The fact that the identity of the Word is spelled out for you in Revelation 19:13 makes me wonder if you truly can't see it, or if you purposely refuse to see it for your own personal reasons.

Mike,

The abstract concept known as the Word of God works better when you understand personifications.

Yes Kerwin,

We are all well aware that you like to change clearly worded scriptures into abstract nonsensicalities.  (I think I made that last word up just now.  :) )

Jesus is the Word of God because he speaks the words of God to others.  Just as the spokesman for the King of Abyssinia was “the Word of the King”.

There is no reason to create an abstract, philisophical debate over such a clear scriptural teaching.  There are no scriptural reasons to change clear teachings such as those in John 17:5, Phil 2, Col 1:15, Rev 3:14 and John 6:36 into abstract oddities – only personal reasons.

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 13 2012,09:01)
    Hi Jammin,
    As Ed quotes we, like JESUS CHRIST, have been begotten of the WORD OF TRUTH

Amen, brother!

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (Frank4YAHWEH @ April 13 2012,10:24)
    Jammin,

Maybe you should make up you mind whether you believe the word is YOUR “God” or it is the son of YOUR “God”.
    :D

Hi Frank,

EXCELLENT POINT!

Your brother
    in Christ, Jesus.
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    holycitybiblecode.org

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ April 13 2012,11:20)

Rudimentary logic  vs  Rudimentary logic

Ed J
    Participant

Ding, let the match begin.

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ April 13 2012,08:13)

Quote (kerwin @ April 12 2012,19:02)

Mike,

Yes Kerwin,

We are all well aware that you like to change clearly worded scriptures into abstract nonsensicalities.  (I think I made that last word up just now.  :) )

Jesus is the Word of God because he speaks the words of God to others.  Just as the spokesman for the King of Abyssinia was “the Word of the King”.

There is no reason to create an abstract, philisophical debate over such a clear scriptural teaching.  There are no scriptural reasons to change clear teachings such as those in John 17:5, Phil 2, Col 1:15, Rev 3:14 and John 6:36 into abstract oddities – only personal reasons.

Mike,

You answers testify to your lack of knowledge.  It is easily remedied if you are humble.

Abstract terms refer to ideas or concepts; they have no physical referents.

[Stop right here and reread that definition. Many readers will find it both vague and boring. Even if you find it interesting, it may be hard to pin down the meaning. To make the meaning of this abstract language clearer, we need some examples.]

Examples of abstract terms include love, success, freedom, good, moral, democracy, and any -ism (chauvinism, Communism, feminism, racism, sexism). These terms are fairly common and familiar, and because we recognize them we may imagine that we understand them—but we really can't, because the meanings won't stay still.

Concrete terms refer to objects or events that are available to the senses. [This is directly opposite to abstract terms, which name things that are not available to the senses.] Examples of concrete terms include spoon, table, velvet eye patch, nose ring, sinus mask, green, hot, walking. Because these terms refer to objects or events we can see or hear or feel or taste or smell, their meanings are pretty stable. If you ask me what I mean by the word spoon, I can pick up a spoon and show it to you.

Here is my source.

I understand these quotes; do you?

jammin
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 13 2012,06:03)
    Hi Jammin,
    You say
    “the logos (WORD) is the son of GOD and not the HS or the father.”

Do you know THREE?
    That is the teaching of the whore.

come out of her

you said:That is the teaching of the whore.

come out of her
    —————-
    that is why im not accepting your doctrine.

jammin
    Participant

Quote (Frank4YAHWEH @ April 13 2012,10:24)

Quote (jammin @ April 12 2012,14:27)

Quote (Frank4YAHWEH @ April 12 2012,12:08)

Quote (jammin @ April 12 2012,11:11)
    frank,

where is your version that says that the word in john 1.1 is the father? lOL

nick,

where can i read in john 1.1 that the word is the HS? LOL

jammin,

I am never proclaimed that Scripture says that the word in Yahchanan [John] 1:1 is the Father. What I have simply proclaimed is what Father Yahweh's prophetic inspired word teaches, and that is that His word is simply that, His word. Nowhere in Scripture does it ever teach or say that Father Yahweh's word was a separate being that existed apart from Him in the beginning that was a creator or a co-creator with Him. Scripture clearly teaches that Father Yahweh “ALONE”, “BY HIMSELF” with “NO ONE BESIDE HIM” created the heavens and the earth and ALL THINGS IN THEM. His son Yahshua is never once recorded in the so-called “New Testament” as proclaiming that he had created ANYTHING. In fact, in this same section of Scripture Yahshua credited his and our Father Yahweh for the creation of the heavens and the earth and ALL THINGS IN THEM.

Did Yahshua Create Or Pre-exist His Birth?

thanks for admitting that the word is not the father.

john says the Word was GOD.
    in verse 14 the word is the son of GOD.

he was with in the beginning.

sorry boy.. you must study hard first.

Jammin,

I never admitted that the word was not the Father.

Maybe you should make up you mind whether you believe the word is YOUR “God” or it is the son of YOUR “God”.
    :D

you said:I am never proclaimed that Scripture says that the word in Yahchanan [John] 1:1 is the Father

now you said:I never admitted that the word was not the Father.
    ——-
    you should take some vitamins LOL
    you are confused

the bible says that the father and the son have the same nature, GOD.that is what the bible says.
    the father is GOD by nature.
    the son is also GOD by nature.

phil 2.5-6 Let Christ himself be your example as to what your attitude should be. For he, who had always been God by nature,

sorry boy but you need to study hard LOL

Frank4YAHWEH
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ April 13 2012,13:02)

Quote (Frank4YAHWEH @ April 13 2012,07:20)

Hi FRank,

Nick,

Frank,

kerwin,

Frank,

kerwin,

Concerning Moshe:

Frank,

kerwin,

Frank,

That is sad for all that go through him will be like God in true righteousness and holiness.  That is why those who love sin will not come into the light.

God promises those that enter the new covenant they will stop sinning if they persevere.

kerwin,

I certainly have no desire whatsoever to be like YOUR “God”.

One stops sinning when they repent and begin to obey Father Yahweh instruction (torah, law, commandment, precept, charge, teaching).

Father Yahweh's Instruction (Torah, Law, Commandment, Teaching)

Frank4YAHWEH
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ April 13 2012,14:05)

Ed J,

You have the right idea about this forum! Nothing but short bouts of fighting going on here in foolish words. The only difference between an actual boxing match and what goes on here is that here the fight never ends.

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (Frank4YAHWEH @ April 14 2012,05:06)

Quote (Ed J @ April 13 2012,14:05)

Quote (Ed J @ April 13 2012,14:02)

Rudimentary logic  vs  Rudimentary logic

Ed J,

You have the right idea about this forum! Nothing but short bouts of fighting going on here in foolish words.
    The only difference between an actual boxing match and what goes on here is that here the fight never ends.

Hi Frank,

All rudimentary logic needs is a better to understanding of “the big picture”.
    Arguing over segmented understanding is irrelevant .

God bless
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

Viewing 20 posts - 5,961 through 5,980 (of 25,908 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account