Is baptism needed for salvation?

Viewing 20 posts - 581 through 600 (of 4,344 total)
  • Author
    GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick ………..i have no argument with Peter because i agree with His assessment of Baptism it's you who is not seeing what Peter is talking about.

IMO………..gene

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi GB,
    So you have superior knowledge from others in Christ about these things?
    Then tell me which baptisms Paul administered here.
    Acts 19
    4Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

5When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

6And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick…..you just proved my point they didn't receive the Spirit by being water baptized did they. I two was baptized twice and only got wet until the Elders laid Hands on me and prayed over me and i felt the spirit come into me it was a true experience, but the first time i was Baptized i simply got wet.

In fact the second time i got wet also until i received the spirit by the laying on of hands, it had nothing to do with the water at all, as far as i could tell. I believe most people who
    are water baptized don't have God's spirit in them at all. If they receive the spirit by water baptism why all the different beliefs and doctrines. Thats just my opinion thats all.

peace ………….gene

dirtyknections
    Participant

Gene…

I agree…while necessary..water baptism…is not whats essential…Being made into a “new creation” thru Christ is what saves…Your comments on the disciples in Acts rebaptism…is proof in itself that what they were missing was the “holy spirit”… and the recreation of themselves had not taken place although baptized by water….

When any of the Apostles referenced “baptism” it was always in reference to the “new creation”…. “being made new”… “baptism in christ”..etc

Water baptism…as i said earlier…is simply a public dedication…of what has already taken place between the holy spirit and the individual…

dirtyknections
    Participant

edit ****public dedication and symbol

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ June 02 2008,14:25)
    Nick…..you just proved my point they didn't receive the Spirit by being water baptized did they. I two was baptized twice and only got wet until the Elders laid Hands on me and prayed over me and i felt the spirit come into me it was a true experience, but the first time i was Baptized i simply got wet.

In fact the second time i got wet also until i received the spirit by the laying on of hands, it had nothing to do with the water at all, as far as i could tell. I believe most people who
    are water baptized don't have God's spirit in them at all. If they receive the spirit by water baptism why all the different beliefs and doctrines. Thats just my opinion thats all.

peace ………….gene

Hi GB,
    But it does show the order demanded of God.
    Others can lay on hands and we can pray for the Spirit [lk11]but water baptism is the first injunction to be obeyed.

dirtyknections
    Participant

Nick…

What is water baptism without the spirit?

Example: Say I was in a place where I had absolutely no access to water. Could I still be “saved”?
    Absolutely, because the “holy spirit” is what “makes new”…

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi DK,
    What God demands is righteousness.

God requires the washing of human vessels.

All must repent or they will perish[Lk13]

Then comes understanding and we can begin to see the kingdom.

gsilva72
    Participant

Hi GB- You must be baptized for the remission of sins. Acts 2:38, Luke 24:47, Mark 16:16 :)

dirtyknections
    Participant

Hi…gsilva

If there was no water could my sins still me remissed…absolutely

1 Peter 1:22-25 (nwt)- 22 Now that YOU have purified YOUR souls by [YOUR] obedience to the truth with unhypocritical brotherly affection as the result, love one another intensely from the heart. 23 For YOU have been given a new birth, not by corruptible, but by incorruptible [reproductive] seed, through the word of [the] living and enduring God. 24 For “all flesh is like grass, and all its glory is like a blossom of grass; the grass becomes withered, and the flower falls off, 25 but the saying of Jehovah endures forever.” Well, this is the “saying,” this which has been declared to YOU as good news.

dirtyknections
    Participant

That new birth..is ultimately by spirit…its irrespective of whether a water baptism has taken place..

With that being said..i agree with practice of water baptism… I just thing the importance lies in the “spirit” not the “water”

dirtyknections
    Participant

edit*** just think

Participant

Quote (dirtyknections @ June 02 2008,15:40)
    That new birth..is ultimately by spirit…its irrespective of whether a water baptism has taken place..

With that being said..i agree with practice of water baptism… I just thing the importance lies in the “spirit” not the “water”

True about it is the Spirit of God who raises from the dead just as he raised our Lord Jesus from the dead. It is the blood and not the water that washes away our sins.

Of course, we should be baptized in water as believers. It is a work in obedience to God's Word.

Proclaimer
    Participant

I was told of some people that use sand for baptism because they don't have enough water to cover a person. Could be an urban myth, but surely in times of drought when there is no water, there must be occasion where there just isn't a big enough pool of water to be immersed in. And even if there was, it could be someone elses drinking water.

gsilva72
    Participant

Hi DK,

If you have true faith, why wouldn't you want to be Baptized? I got baptized in that precious name becuase I believed.  Mark 16:16 says “He that believes and is baptized shall be saved, but he that does not believe shall be damed” Second, it is for the remission of sins. Acts 2:38, Luke 24:47  Being baptized is part of that new birth process. :)

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ June 02 2008,15:48)

True about it is the Spirit of God who raises from the dead just as he raised our Lord Jesus from the dead.  It is the blood and not the water that washes away our sins.

Of course, we should be baptized in water as believers.  It is a work in obedience to God's Word.

Hi 94,
    Paul showed the purposes of water and Spirit baptism in Rom 6
    3Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

4Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

Death[water] and resurrection to new life[Spirit]

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ June 02 2008,16:12)

Quote (942767 @ June 02 2008,15:48)

True about it is the Spirit of God who raises from the dead just as he raised our Lord Jesus from the dead.  It is the blood and not the water that washes away our sins.

Of course, we should be baptized in water as believers.  It is a work in obedience to God's Word.

Hi 94,
    Paul showed the purposes of water and Spirit baptism in Rom 6
    3Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

4Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

Death[water] and resurrection to new life[Spirit]

Hi Nick:

Water baptism is symbolic of our union with Jesus in his death, burial and resurrection.  As believers, we should be baptized as soon a possible after we have believed.  We are saved by faith.  Water baptism is a work showing that we have believed and have repented.  But if water baptism is essential before one can receive the Holy Spirit, then Cornelius would have not received it.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi 94,
    God is sovereign.
    Some are also cleansed by the Word.

Jn15
    3Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

Ephesians 5:26
    That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

dirtyknections
    Participant

I think this is clear from this thread..we are all in agreement that water baptism.. if at all possible.. should be undertaken by all Christians…

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi GB,
    In another thread you wrote

“Nick……The Apostles all baptized with water at first, they were new in the faith and were growing in understanding all the time from a Carnal way of looking at things to a Spiritual way of seeing things. “

So according to you the apostles were relatively ignorant and immature.
    Now you are enlightened and mature?

Wake up GB.

They learned from the Master Himself and their writings are inspired but yours are not and and it is you who is wandering from truth.

Viewing 20 posts - 581 through 600 (of 4,344 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account