Free Will?

Viewing 20 posts - 3,081 through 3,100 (of 3,826 total)
  • Author
    Grasshopper
    Participant

terraricca,

It’s rather simple. Faith in Christ being that Jesus is who scripture says he is – The Son of God. That he came from God and died for our sins so we could have a way back to our Father. Having faith in Christ is having faith in what He taught us, in His Word, about HOW we should live our lives and to WHOM we should give all thanks, praise and glory to – His Father. Believing in the promises His Father gives us, about our inheritance and reward, when we remain faithful in Christ unto death. Also, about how we should bear good fruits and spread the Gospel of The Kingdom of God.

Does faith in Christ mean something different to you?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grasshopper

terraricca
    Participant

Grasshopper

Does faith in Christ mean something different to you?

GAL 3:26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
    Phil 3:9 and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith,
    COL 1:4 since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love which you have for all the saints;
    COL 2:5 For even though I am absent in body, nevertheless I am with you in spirit, rejoicing to see your good discipline and the stability of your faith in Christ.

Jas 1:21 Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.
    Jas 1:22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
    Jas 1:23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror
    Jas 1:24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.
    Jas 1:25 But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does.

Jas 2:14 What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

Jas 2:26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

Jn 4:24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth.”

DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE WORD TRUTH MEANS THE WAY JESUS USE IT AND THE WORD SPIRIT ?

2Pe 1:5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge;
    2Pe 1:6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness;
    2Pe 1:7 and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.
    2Pe 1:8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2Pe 1:9 But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.

2Pe 1:10 Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall,
    2Pe 1:11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

THE ABOVE SCRIPTURES ARE PART OF MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE FAITH IN CHRIST ,ARE THOSE IN YOUR FAITH ?

Proclaimer
    Participant

Good stuff Grasshopper.

Ephesians 4:3-6
    Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

terraricca
    Participant

SORRY I DROVE THIS TOPIC OUT OF ITS REAL DISCUSSION

“free will”

Grasshopper
    Participant

T8,

Thank you, Brother.

terraricca,

I’ve stated what I’ve stated. There is no need to start trying to question my faith in Christ. You seem to be displaying a hostile and confrontational spirit. Please tread lightly when responding in this way with your brothers and sisters in Christ.

For your own sake, be aware and watchful of that, Sister.
    ~~
    G

terraricca
    Participant

Grasshopper

sorry if i hurt your feelings , just ignore all the quote ,

and just a correction I am a 74 year old man , not a sister lol

Grasshopper
    Participant

Haha…SO sorry! The name threw me for a loop!
    I sure hope t8 is a Brother and not a Sister, or I’ll have two apologies to make..lol 😉
    ~~~
    G

Grasshopper
    Participant

terraricca,

For the record ~ no hurt feelings on this end 😉

~
    G

terraricca
    Participant

Grasshopper

I sure hope t8 is a Brother and not a Sister, or I’ll have two apologies to make..lol 😉
    ~~~

No it his a he T8 not a she ,

For the record ~ no hurt feelings on this end

thanks ,

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Grasshopper. …..actually the subject of freewill, is a very important descussion, i also realize it has nothing to do with our salvation, that is why i never try to use scripture to accuse others, or from an accusitory spirit as some do here. When i talk about a subject i try to keep it on subjet matter only.

You did bring out a good point about where it say That God is not willing ant parish, I believe there is a good chance none will parish, that is a possibility with God. But freewill thinking brakes that down, to its all up to us, i don’t think we can have it both way, It also goes against the absolute “SOVEREIGNTY” OF GOD. IMO

peace and love to you and yours. ……………….gene

terraricca
    Participant

gene

..actually the subject of freewill, is a very important descussion, i also realize it has nothing to do with our salvation,

DT 30:19 “ I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants,

ZEC 6:15 “ Those who are far off will come and build the temple of the LORD.” Then you will know that the LORD of hosts has sent me to you. And it will take place if you completely obey the LORD your God.

Jn 3:19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.
    Jn 3:20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.
    Jn 3:21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.”

scriptures says that we are judge on the things or deeds we do ,if so who choses those things we want to do ? are we forced into to do them even if we do not want them to do ? are we not free to love God or not to love God ?

gene ,you seem not to understand scriptures at all only men made opinions ,now if we remove the scriptures out of the way ,then i can agree with you on most of the things or opinions you say ,but when we use scriptures we also want to be true to those scriptures and not mix opinions and godly truth in one jar

Proclaimer
    Participant

To keep this topic on track and to also reply to some comments lately, I use my free will to post two scriptures. 😉

Galatians 3:28
    There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Luke 20:36
    and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God’s children, since they are children of the resurrection.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

T8……your not using a freewill, you are using your predesposed mind whi h makes up your will nothing free about it. Common sense tell us our will are not free themselves, or they simply would not be a will in the first place.

I know humans want to think their will are free for them to do whatever they choose to, but the question is, what is driving that will. The word free means free of any kind of influnces, which is the causality driving your will, secience as well as scripture says we are caused to respond the way we do, nothing free about it, you are getting the liberity to express your captivated will, mixed up with you having a will the ITSELF is free. T8 go to the site i posted and just read the material L RAY SMITH has written on this subject and see what you think.

bible-truths.com, lake of fire series and scroll down to the section on free-will, at least give it a read OK.

peace and love to you and yours……….gene

Ed J
    Participant

Hi Gene,

To say your “Will” is held CAPTIVE, and at the same
    time say your “Will” has LIBERTYis an OXYMORON.

Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    ”Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.” – JEHOVAH GOD

Grasshopper
    Participant

free will
    noun
    noun: free will; noun: freewill

the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one’s own discretion.
    synonyms: self-determination, freedom of choice, autonomy, liberty, independence
    “they take for granted their blessed right to free will”
    voluntarily, willingly, readily, freely, without reluctance, without compulsion, of one’s own accord, of one’s own volition, of one’s own choosing
    “I pursued a modeling career of my own free will”

adjective
    adjective: free-will; adjective: free will; adjective: freewill

(especially of a donation) given readily; voluntary.
    “free-will offerings”

Gene, with all due respect, THIS is the definition of free will that majority of people are talking about.

You are saying that those who believe that there is free will think that means that it is without influence. You think that when a person says that we have free will, that means that person is somehow negating God’s Sovereignty. Has anyone ever said that they do not consider God to be Sovereign?

You feel that BECAUSE there IS influence of some sort, then that cancels out the “free” part of *free* will.
    Says who?

You are determining the definition of free will, it seems. It seems that you are imposing additional conditions in connection with the use of this term — conditions that even the dictionary definition doesn’t attach to it. By what or who’s authority do you restrict the concept of what that term means?

Regarding the influenced part of free will (the fact that it’s influenced, according to how you feel, cancels out the “free” part of that term) So here’s something I want you to consider — How can influence make one choose to commit evil and another, who has EXACTLY the same set of influences and circumstances ( i.e. brothers from the exact same household and same upbringing) in their life, choose to NOT commit evil? It would throw the theory of no free will (by your own standards) out the window, no?

What I’m trying to convey, basically, is that what people mean by “free will”,  the ACTUAL definition of free will – THAT concept that people realize and are referring to – won’t change, regardless of how much extra baggage you, or anyone else, attach onto the use of the term.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Respectfully,

Grasshopper

Ed J
    Participant

Hi Grasshopper,

Well put, but “how do we know”(?) you were acting on your own free will since it has been influenced? …Just kidding of course 🙂

Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    ”Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.” – JEHOVAH GOD

Grasshopper
    Participant

@EdJ….;)

terraricca
    Participant

very well said Grasshopper ,but don’t think you are the first to mention all those things to Gene ,

he just would not see it or refuse to see it ,

princess
    Participant

Look up free at Dictionary.comfree (v.) Look up free at Dictionary.comOld English “to free, liberate, manumit,” also “to love, think of lovingly, honor,” from  (see free (adj.)). Compare Old “to make free;” Old “to court, woo;” German  “to free,” “to woo;” Old Norse “to love;” Gothic “to love.>

will (n.) Look up will at Dictionary.comOld English “mind, determination, purpose; desire, wish, request; joy, delight,

Majority……they always right history……

http://www.etymonline.com

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Admin.
    GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Grasshopper. …..your definition of free is flawed, free means free, meaning completely uninhibited, uninfluinced by anything, freewill completely denies (causality) , therefore nothing is caused to do right, we simply do right on our own, freewillers simply remove God from their salvation process and give themselves all the credit for their own salvation by their own so-called freewill choices.

Paul says, that good thing he would (willed) to do he did not, but that evil thing he would (willed) not to do that he did. Why seeing his will was free, would he do that which he willed not to do. Paul went on to say he saw no good thing in his body because to WILL was present. Why would a person say that, did he think his will was so free, and if it was why the problem, after all couldn’t a will that was truly free do the good he willed to do?

Why does GOD HAVE WORK IN US TO CAUSE US TO WILL TO DO HIS GOOD PLEASURE, AFTER ALL HE BELIEVES WE CAN DO HIS GOOD PLEASURE BY OUR OWN FREEWILLS RIGHT? Who needs God because we can simply choose to do his good pleasure ourselves right? SCRIPTURE SAYS their is NONE WHO DOES GOOD, NO NOT EVEN ONE. BUT FREEWILLERS SAY WE CAN chose to DO GOOD on our own by OURSELVES. In fact scripture say there is none that chosses God either, we mustbe “CAUSED” TO CHOSE HIM.

Even Jesus said “NO ONE” COULD come unto him unless the Father “DRAW” (Greek, drag) him. He also told his deciples that they did not choose him, he chose them, where is freewill in that? And i havent even gone into the word (predestined or foreknowledge,allwords that deny freewills, how could God forknow if freewill exists, you can’t foreknow something if the will is free to chose, now can you? Causality has no part in free-will thinking God must be totally out of the picture for free-will to actually work, andif thatbe the case then that person is a GOD unto their self. IMO

peace and love to you and yours……………..gene

Viewing 20 posts - 3,081 through 3,100 (of 3,826 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account