Stuart,

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    charity
    Participant

Hmmm

“Rebuke”

AH… an english Phrase slotted in to the greek hebrew cannon LAW.
    Critical, that the Legal Framework of the Church of England isn't challenged.

princess
    Participant

Quote (david @ Nov. 17 2012,12:28)

Quote (princess @ Nov. 16 2012,21:59)
    David your comments have me pondering………………….still.

Hi princess.  

Pondering what?

Who would have thought David………….all this time. Amazing.

charity
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Nov. 19 2012,16:49)

Quote (Ed J @ Nov. 19 2012,00:52)
    It's not that the data is non-Scientific,
    but that Stuart doesn't understand it's significance.

I think this might be the last time I respond to you Ed.  You'd do well to reconsider your trolling of this forum.

Stuart

thinking…. people have little understanding of the withering cannons two edged Laws stu.

be prepared, what you dish up could an shall be tempted to respond.

sadly… rebuking rebukes turns out to be a Bad case of the significant flattering of the self affect.Catchy as a Disease, least, not many are reported to appear shining with healthy perception; A Good an different Nature.

An SOMETHING THATS NOT REALLY SAID!

while announcing the magic theme..that one is a christian; many believe their opinion has major superiority.acting.as THE OVERALL government, that isn't but shall soon be ac-knowleged.

Blood sweat an tears all over earth

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Nov. 26 2012,19:33)

Quote (Guncher @ Nov. 26 2012,03:09)
    Stuart
    I know nothing about you. Would you be willing to share whatyou believe
    It is easy to attack anothers belief
    I meet each week with an Atheist, Buddhist, Spiritist. We talk about our beliefs, and disagree on some matters. But we have all learned to listen to each other with respect
    I , even though I disagree with my friends, would never laugh at them or be nasty
    Please express to me what you think life, creation, desth etc is all about
    Kind Regards

Thank you for asking.

I have had many discussions with christians over the past several years, some online and some face-to-face.  A few of those people have even been qualified in theology (if you can call that a qualification).  I feel I have been patient and tried to learn as much as I can about the huge variety of belief that falls within the term “christian”.  

On the topic of respect, by the way, one of the few threads I have started here was on some abominable Catholic doctrine and the response said it all about how much respect people here have for Catholicism, and presumably Catholics, as one example of the hypocrisy of christians demanding “respect”.  I feel respect should be earned, and christianity hasn't earned mine.  I am especially amused when I am called a sinner.  Strangely no christian seems to be able to tell me what my wrongdoing has been.  Perhaps they fear a libel suit!

Anyway, I have never believed in Imaginary Sky Friends, although I do pretend they exist for the purpose of conversation, but I have reached several conclusions about religious faith in general and christianity in particular.

It is pretty clear to me that christianity is a meme, a cultural idea, that is transmitted by platitudes, meaningless words that sound impressive but prey on the known weaknesses of the human brain, for example our “sense of the numinous” and our really poor grasp of probability.  

I am fairly sure we are genetically predisposed to god belief but we can't define what gods are because otherwise the evolutionary adaptation of god belief wouldn't work.  In our past it was probably very important that tribal leaders could appeal to the non-specific threat of a wrathful god in order to suppress egos and make the tribe work together.  Of course in our globalised world that way of thinking is disastrous, and this is one reason I think god belief is dying – it's natural selection at work.

So, is there anything of value in christianity?  More to the point is there anything good we can specifically attribute to christian belief?  I can't think of anything.  I might stop and think about Matthew 7:12, but even the golden rule has been done better by others in the centuries and millennia before the First Century.

Is there anything bad that derives from christian belief?  I don't need to even prime your imagination – you have thought of at least three examples already, I bet.  As Steven Weinberg puts it, good men do good, evil men do evil, but to make good men do evil takes religion.

As for faith, I can't see how that is a virtue.  Why should it be a good thing to believe stuff despite there being no evidence in support, and especially when there is evidence to contradict the belief?  That just sounds like deluded people thinking wishfully.

I don't think I am being nasty to people, actually.  I never make personal comments or use abusive language.  I expect people to challenge any silly ideas I might hold, and I treat the absurd ideas of christianity in the same spirit.  Many people feel that an attack on their religious views is a personal attack on them, but that isn't how it should be.  The problem is that religions insist on people making the religion into their personal identity, so when it is questioned it is taken personally instead of a discussion of silly ideas.  

Thanks for reading.  Let me know if I can bore you with any more of my views!

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Yes, your views are indeed welcome.
    That provides us with something to discuss.

We have discussed the value of being a “Christian”
    before on several occasions, have you forgotten already?

God bless
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account