The soul

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 645 total)
  • Author
    terraricca
    Participant

All

my previous post will show that all what we do is with our spirit soul,but the flesh is the only section of us that have senses and taste buts, feel pain and some other personal feelings,and so there is a war in our flesh only if we are renewed in the spirit to do Gods will ,because like Paul says there are two wills the flesh and the spirit or soul.this is why all what is done in and for the flesh is in vain and meaningless,this is the way of men.

only the way of God is meaningful it mean s live.

Pierre

Wispring
    Participant

Hi Baker,
    Your post motivated me to do this:

Hi everone,
    I did a bible search of the word soul to see if I could discern the qualities of the word soul as used in the bible. Took about 2 hours or so reading alot of scripture.
    1.) It's a living thing.
    2.) It has emotions
    3.) It can depart and return to a body.
    4.) God has a soul (Psalm 11:15)
    5.) It can be converted (Psalm 19:7)
    6.) Just an observation the word soul is used alot in Psalms.
    7.) A sould can be redeemed. (Psalm 71:23)
    8.) It can be yours, mine, or ours (Psalm 124:7)
    9.) It can be stengthened
    10.) It can sin (Ezekiel 18:4)

Up to the New Testament you could insert consciousness/operating mind in place of soul(s) and it would semanticaly fit pretty well. After that like:

1 Peter 1:9 (King James Version)
    9Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

if inserting consiousness works for you then ok. If not then ok.

I am not saying this is the absolute truth of the matter I am saying to my humble mind it is the verbiage that is the modern vernacular that we would use most often to say what a soul is.
    With Love,
    Wispring

kerwin
    Participant

Wispring,

Inserting consciousness/operating mind in place of soul(s) does not fit the whole context of scripture as it is the whole being that is being saved and not just part.  

Try “essential self” instead

Wispring
    Participant

Hi Kerwin,
    How are you doing? Fine I hope. Brother, In my mind consiousness and essential self are both one and the same. Glad you had another word/word group to describe/identify soul though. Thanks! You know using reductive logic one could say that say that given the whole self is a combination of 3 things, namely, body, spirit, and soul then the soul encompasses all that which is not body or spirit. Just using the brain that God gave me here. All glory goes to God.
    Love to you and yours,
    Wispring

Wispring
    Participant

Or, I could use the first mention of the word soul in the Bible and how it was created:

Genesis 2:7 (King James Version)

7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

and can easily a deductively logically say that having body and spirit created by God define what it is to have a living soul.

I read once “We are all in the process of becoming” and according to the first mention of the word soul in the bible 2 things are required to become soul. The first thing is a form or form of man and the second thing is to have God breath life into the nostrils of the first thing.

terraricca
    Participant

All

Adam was a soul composted of flesh and spirit but the spirit was subdue to the needs of the flesh due to a rejection of Gods will,

when Christ came he showed that it is not so ,and teaches that the flesh is not important but that it is the spirit soul who is the real soul of men ,and that the time to reconcile with God is now at hand,

this was made clear to the samaritan women ,by saying God is spirit and any one as to worship him in the spirit (his soul)

but this was totally new and so we have to be born again or become like little children and learn to separate the will of the flesh with the will of the spirit ,this Paul explain it very well.

because the body is in reality a tool for the soul or spirit and is used to worship the true God but also all what is false,

so we have to learn and make all efforts to follow the will of the spirit of God to create in our self a godly soul that is acceptable to God ,and by doing so we receive the forgiveness of all our sins committed under the action of the flesh by our ignorance.

Pierre

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Mar. 16 2011,14:21)
    Are you including the Son of God in this statement?  Didn't Jesus himself teach that man can only kill the body but not the soul?

Mike………No Jesus did not teach, a man can kill you but not your soul, that is you addition to what he said. He said Man could not (destory) the Soul , he did not say he could not Kill it. You getting Kill mixed up with Destroy they are not the same word. Destroy is to eliminate forever. To Kill your soul is a temporary condition ,to destory it is a Permit condition, and only GOD came do that, by leaving it (the body) in the grave.

And yes i was including Jesus in that statement He also would still be dead if God did not raise up his body and add spirit back into it.

Mike you really must try not to add your unscripted thoughts to what is written. I gave the complete list of the Hebrew text showing the word Nephesh (SOUL) now you just simply need to look at them all and draw your (TRUE) conclusion from them, not try desperately to try to find something you can turn to meet you dogmas while ignoring all the manifold scriptures that show it clearly as you did with David also. IMO

gene

Baker
    Participant

I am bringing all these Scriptures up, because some will say that the Soul is the Spirit, but then there is 1 Th. that says spirit, soul and body. While in the Psalms it mostly speaks of spirit being the soul….The first Scripture in Math. is interesting to me, because Georg things that our mind is the Spirit in us. I don't know????

Psalm 16:10 speaks of the body of Christ as being the Soul….

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Mat 16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

1Th 5:23 ¶ And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

1Sa 18:1 ¶ And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.

Job 10:1 ¶ My soul is weary of my life; I will leave my complaint upon myself; I will speak in the bitterness of my soul.

Psa 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Psa 19:7 The law of the LORD [is] perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD [is] sure, making wise the simple.

Psa 23:3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Psa 42:5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and [why] art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him [for] the help of his countenance.

Psa 139:14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully [and] wonderfully made: marvellous [are] thy works; and [that] my soul knoweth right well.

Psa 142:4 I looked on [my] right hand, and beheld, but [there was] no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul.

Isa 53:10 ¶ Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put [him] to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see [his] seed, he shall prolong [his] days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

Hbr 10:39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

Peace and love Irene

Wispring
    Participant

Hi everyone,

From reading scripture i cannot logically equate spirit to soul the reason is simply this:

7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

This to my mind clearly says that the prerequisites for a living soul are a form and having God breathing life into the form. Now, am I way off-base in thinking breath of life as spirit? If so please educate me on that particular issue.
    The other, to me and I hope to us, was finding out by reading scripture that God has a soul.

Psalm 11:5 (King James Version)

5The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.

At the very least the writer of this Psalm thought God has a soul. This should give us pause to consider what the scripturely-based definition of soul is. Irene if the soul isn't mind then it is certainly something mind-like(i.e. essential self, consiousness). Try doing what I did using http://www.biblegateway.com. I did a word seach on the word 'soul' and wrote down all the qualities that I could understand of what a soul is and what a soul does.(Yes it took me hours.) Then, perhaps, pray to God for guidance through the Holy Spirit and see for youself what God reveals to you. Sharing that revelation afterwards in this thread would be nice.

With Respect and Love,
    Wispring

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Mar. 16 2011,18:49)
    Wispring,

Inserting consciousness/operating mind in place of soul(s) does not fit the whole context of scripture as it is the whole being that is being saved and not just part.  

Try “essential self” instead

What about the body?

Does it not return to dust and do we not receive a spiritual body? Or is the spiritual body the old body resurrected and with extra dimensional qualities etc?

theodorej
    Participant

Quote (Wispring @ Mar. 17 2011,11:50)
    Hi everyone,

From reading scripture i cannot logically equate spirit to soul the reason is simply this:

This to my mind clearly says that the prerequisites for a living soul are a form and having God breathing life into the form. Now, am I way off-base in thinking breath of life as spirit? If so please educate me on that particular issue.
      The other, to me and I hope to us, was finding out by reading scripture that God has a soul.

Psalm 11:5 (King James Version)

5The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.

At the very least the writer of this Psalm thought God has a soul. This should give us pause to consider what the scripturely-based definition of soul is. Irene if the soul isn't mind then it is certainly something mind-like(i.e. essential self, consiousness). Try doing what I did using http://www.biblegateway.com. I did a word seach on the word 'soul' and wrote down all the qualities that I could understand of what a soul is and what a soul does.(Yes it took me hours.) Then, perhaps, pray to God for guidance through the Holy Spirit and see for youself what God reveals to you. Sharing that revelation afterwards in this thread would be nice.

With Respect and Love,
                                                                   Wispring

Greetings Wispring……It is a pleasure to welcome yet another contributor to this forum….The issue of the soul has been bantered around this forum to a point of exhaustion…The make up of the man consist of mind, body and soul….The term nephish is the root of the term soul and you are correct the living and breathing of the man constitutes a soul or body….The mind and the heart is the essense of who we are,this is the spirit of the man…In this spirit we harbor the emnity towards God that is the nature of man…This spirit is what will be judged our bodies will turn to dust…

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Mar. 16 2011,07:52)
    Mike………No Jesus did not teach, a man can kill you but not your soul, that is you addition to what he said. He said Man could not (destory) the Soul , he did not say he could not Kill it. You getting Kill mixed up with Destroy they are not the same word. Destroy is to eliminate forever.

Matthew 10:28 NET ©
    Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Instead, fear the one who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

What does “CAN kill the body but CANNOT kill the soul” mean to you, Gene?

mike

Wispring
    Participant

Hi T8,

What about the body?

Does it not return to dust and do we not receive a spiritual body? Or is the spiritual body the old body resurrected and with extra dimensional qualities etc?

Yes! I guess I didn't express myself clearly enough. I was using this thread as a learning tool and came to the conclusion that Genesis 2:7 was the God given definition of Soul. Given that a body is required then after we die we get a spiritual body like that described in 1Corinthians 15:35-54. I think the qualities of the spiritual bodied Soul will be similar to the fleshy bodied soul minus the desires, wants, needs of the flesh. This is my humble understanding at this time.

With Love and Respect,
    Wispring

terraricca
    Participant

wispring

Ge 2:7 the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

this verse tell us that 1) man is made from the dust of the earth.
                                 2) that breathed (air,oxygen)in is nostrils i do not know what else would go in nostrils,do you?
                                 3)and by those two action of God the man that so was made became a living soul(or to me a active soul)
    what was he just before God breathed in is nostrils ??? a dead soul?
    just because God does not mention the spirit he planted in men ,and that return to him after dead.it would not mean that it miss.or is it ??

Pierre

Wispring
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    Is this fruitful? Spirit is the breath of life.right? God's breath is spirit.right? A Soul is an individualization of the breath of life in a body whether it be spiritual or fleshy. This is how I am understanding these things with as few words as possible. After all it has to be a simple truth.right?
    I may be wrong, but, this is how I am understanding these things in the most simple way I can think of.
    With Respect and Love,
    Wispring

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Wispring @ Mar. 17 2011,21:59)
    Hi everyone,
    Is this fruitful? Spirit is the breath of life.right? God's breath is spirit.right? A Soul is an individualization of the breath of life in a body whether it be spiritual or fleshy. This is how I am understanding these things with as few words as possible. After all it has to be a simple truth.right?
      I may be wrong, but, this is how I am understanding these things in the most simple way I can think of.
                                                  With Respect and Love,
                                                         Wispring

wispring

you ask more questions than given answers ,and you do not answer my questions ,why ??

Pierre

kerwin
    Participant

T8,

The body is saved by being transformed from mortal to immortal.

It is not part of the essential self though I believe it is part of the self.  My main support of that is that it took both a spiritual self and a bodilly self for Adam to be created a living soul.

You are correct that I did not mention the body.  I felt that apropriate as the essential self is the more crucial part of the whole self.

I believe the old body is changed even as it is for the living on That Day.

kerwin
    Participant

Wispring,

Soul is used to describe the whole self in some instances of scripture just like flesh is used to do the same in other instances of Scripture.

Soul is the essential self which is part of the spiritual self which is called the breath of God in the account of Adam's creation.

God is Spirit and his soul is part of the Spirit he is.

Wispring
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    Time to get Hebrew on this line of scripture.
    2:7 וייצר יהוה אלהים את האדם עפר מן האדמה ויפח באפיו נשמת חיים ויהי האדם לנפש חיה
    Using the http://www.tranlation.babylon.com this translates to:
    2:7 And Jehovah God took the man of the dust of the earth breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul.
    Further break down:
    וייצר =to produce
    יהוה =The Lord
    וייצר יהוה =And Jehova
    God = להים
    וייצר יהוה אלהים=And the Lord God
    את = you or the
    האדם= person,man,individual,human being
    עפר = earth,soil,dirt,dust
    מן=from, out of
    האדמה=earth,land,ground,soil
    ויפח=oiph (I can't find a meaning or definition for oiph on-line)
    באפיו=nostrils
    ויפח באפיו=breathed into his nostrils
    נשמת=spirit,soul,psyche,ghost,pneuma
    חיים=(adj)alive,living,vivid,kicking,quick,animated,denizen,live: (nm.)life,living,existance:(n.)
    נשמת חיים =breath of life
    ויהי =will be
    האדם= person,man,individual,human being
    ויהי האדם =and man
    לנפש=soul,life,spirit,mind
    חיה =(adj)alive,living,vivid,kicking,quick,animated,denizen,live:(nf.)life:(nf)animal,beast brute
    ================================================================================
    OK. I will readily admit I am not fluid in the Hebrew language if some else here is then I welcome a more educated interpretation of this line of scripture. That being said, I will confidently say that which was breathed into the 'man of dust of the earth' was definately not oxygen, rather, it was a living, vivid, animated spirit. Yes, this took some time to do, I thank God that i was given in this time to do this because it is very interesting and educational. What I find interesting is that יהוה =The Lord and חיה =(adj)alive,living,vivid,kicking,quick,animated,denizen,live:(nf.)life:(nf)animal,beast brute only differ by a ' mark. We indeed have a living God.
    With Love and Respect,
    Wispring

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Mar. 17 2011,22:48)
    Wispring,

Soul is used to describe the whole self in some instances of scripture just like flesh is used to do the same in other instances of Scripture.

Soul is the essential self which is part of the spiritual self which is called the breath of God in the account of Adam's creation.

God is Spirit and his soul is part of the Spirit he is.

Kerwin

is breath in nostrils is equal to spirit ??

i did not know that the spirit can be administered trough the nostrils.

Pierre

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 645 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account