The New Testament Canon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Bob,
    Paul said
    “It is no longer I that liveth but Christ that liveth in me”
    Was he a liar?
    Those in Christ have different giftings and different ministries and so the eye does not always fully understand the ear. You need to make your mind up whether to trust Peter and Paul and John or take the natural fallback position of preferring your own judgement and hoping you have the mind of Christ.
    Personally I am blessed as much by their words as Christ or the prophets and committing to walk with them as being fully inspired has been highly beneficial to me, as they walked with the Master, whereas I need to be transformed by the renewal of my heart and mind according to Christ.
    You need the torch and the map.

Participant

Quote (bob @ Jan. 25 2007,20:08)
    Thanks for freshening this topic for me, Nick.

Perhaps you all will indulge me as I frame this topic to meet my own needs:

What has biblical inerrancy got to do with following Jesus? I want to follow him and consider myself among his followers. I feel that I was called by Jesus while meditating on his words in the four gospels. But the later books do not move me like the words of Jesus.
    How do I really know that I can trust Paul, let alone the unknown author of Hebrews, for example. Christian doctrine seems to imply that the “good stuff” came after Jesus death and resurrection, as most doctrine has its roots in the letters of Paul and others. I wonder if that is when the “human stuff” entered into the church. I know this is threatening, to chip away at the foundation. But if biblical inerrancy is true (and I am not entirely sure one way or the other), then one should not have any fear that a little respectful exploration of the foundation will cause the house to fall. Let us begin:
    Sincerely, how can we trust in writings written by man?

Hi Bob:

I know that your conversing with Nick on this subject, but I'd like to give you my understanding.

As in Jesus ministry, God confirmed the teachings of the Apostles with healings and other miracles.  If God confirmed their teaching, we know that what they taught came from God because we know that God will not confirm a lie.

In our discussion on this forum, our understanding of the scriptures may vary, but I personally have not yet been ordained by God, and so, although I do have the Spirit of God dwelling within, and I do seek his guidance as I study the scriptures, it is possible for me to make a mistake.

Also, not every one in the pulpit has been ordained by God.  They may have one or several degrees, but that does not mean that they have been qualified by God.

But of the scriptures 2 Ti 3:16-17 states:  “All scripture is given by the inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect throughly furnished unto every good work”.

God says to us: “Study to shew yourself approved, a workman that needeth not be ashamed rightly dividing the word of truth”.  (2 Ti 2:15)

I hope this helps, and God Bless you.

NickHassan
    Participant

amen

NickHassan
    Participant

topical

NickHassan
    Participant

topical

Unisage
    Participant

Quote (david @ Aug. 18 2006,14:37)
    What I'm saying Nick, is that the Roman Catholic Church did not create the Bible.  If I wanted to, I could put down a list of the books I considered to be God's Word.  And if that list happens to match the ones people today considers to be inspired, does that mean I am the one who decided which books were Biblical?

You can look at historians yourself and decide whether the Roman Catholic Church is responsible for Bible canon, or whether they were just following what everyone believed at that time, and much earlier.

I am not saying you are wrong but surely you are making a claim here that cannot be substantiated?

I thought I “substantiated” it quite nicely.  Can you substantiate that I haven't substantiated it?  Just kidding.  I'm in a weird mood.

david

When the Apostles went out to preach the Kingdom of God.What bible did they carry with them?

NickHassan
    Participant

topical

Son of Light
    Participant
    NickHassan
    Participant

For WOB

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Aug. 18 2006,15:00)
    Hi david,
    If you can prove the Holy Spirit has defined the canon I would like to see that proof as I wonder if we are robbed by not including some others.

How would we know which of the “other's” to inlcude?

Would the Spirit tell us?

I'm sorry this blows me away that you are saying these things. This coming from a man who preaches – stick to what is written.

Please elaborate on this old-but-fresh ideas of yours from 2006. I'd love to hear more!!

Thanks,
    Mandy

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    Have you read these books which are on this site?

Pilgrims Progress – {1628-1688} – Was the best selling book after the bible.
    The Shepherd of Hermas – {2nd century} – Includes an introduction to the book.
    The Epistle of Polycarp to the Phillipians – {2nd century} – Aspects of daily life .
    The Book of Enoch – {Dates not clarified} – Includes an introduction to the book.

Not3in1
    Participant

Does it matter what I think about these non-biblical books? :;):

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Not3,
    No.
    But I would love to here what you think of the Shepherd of Hermes etc.
    If the Catholic church decided to change the canon tomorrow what would you do?

Not3in1
    Participant

If the Catholic Church decided to change the bible (like they have decided to change so many other matters of faith), I would do nothing. My bible would still remain right where it is……on the shelf. Why?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    perhaps it is now written on your heart.
    Bless you.

Not3in1
    Participant

If there are extra books out there that should have been included – how would you know which ones?

It is disturbing to consider that God inspired the bible to be put together, only to question that some books were left out…..and we should seek them? Hmmmmm

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    Try one or two and see what the Spirit shows you

TimothyVI
    Participant

Nick,
    is that really you or has someone else taken over your account?

Tim

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Tim…….it does seem to be a kinder Nick. Maybe God has shown Him and given him more understanding.

love and peace to you and yours……………………..gene

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 07 2009,18:51)
    Hi not3,
    Try one or two and see what the Spirit shows you

SEE WHAT THE SPIRIT SHOWS ME??

You're kidding, right?

Either God inspired the books of the bible and their compilation, or he didn't. Which is it? If he guided the project, then it is perfect and nothing is missing.

If you feel “robbed” of further truth because perhaps these other books were not included – you may have to wonder what “spirit” it is that you are listening to? Right?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account