Romans 10: 9-11

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Proclaimer
    Participant

Romans 10; 9-11
    ]If you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord; and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, “YOU WILL BE SAVED”.For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and ARE SAVED! anyone who trust in him will never be put to shame.

The above verse is often quoted as being the prerequisite for salvation.

However, it must be noted that the letters of Paul were written to believers and it could be argued that belief is what is required after other prerequisites such as baptism in the name of Yeshua.

What do others think. Is Romans 10: 9-11 a salvation verse for all including the unsaved, or advice on how to keep your salvation if you have been baptised into Christ.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi T8,
    God does not offer one way at pentecost and then deny it later.
    The same book speaks of the way of pentecost in Rom6-death and rebirth.

Participant

Quote (t8 @ Sep. 12 2009,10:48)
    Romans 10; 9-11
    ]If you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord; and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, “YOU WILL BE SAVED”.For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and ARE SAVED! anyone who trust in him will never be put to shame.

However, it must be noted that the letters of Paul were written to believers and it could be argued that belief is what is required after other prerequisites such as baptism in the name of Yeshua.

What do others think. Is Romans 10: 9-11 a salvation verse for all including the unsaved, or advice on how to keep your salvation if you have been baptised into Christ.

Hi:

We are saved by Faith, and this is what Paul is emphasizing by these scriptures, and so, yes, these are scriptures pertaining to salvation.

By Confessing Jesus as Lord, one is indicating that they will obey his commandments, and that includes water baptism.

If someone is baptized in water before he has believed and repented, he will have gone into the water a dry sinner and will have come up a wet sinner. There will have been no change.

In these series of scriptures, Paul says:

Rom 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, [even] in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

Rom 10:14 ¶ How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
    Rom 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
    Rom 10:17 So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Romans 10; 9-11

Ver. 9. Thou shalt be saved. To confess the Lord Jesus, and to call upon the name of the Lord, (ver. 13.) is not barely the professing of a belief in the person of Christ: but moreover implies a belief of his whole doctrine, and an obedience to his law; without which the calling of him Lord will save no man. (St. Matthew vii. 21.) (Challoner) — This passage must be understood like many others of this apostle, of a faith accompanied by a good-will ready to perform what faith says must be practised; as it is required in this very place, that what we believe in the heart, we should confess with our mouth. (Estius)

Ver. 14. &c. Or how shall they believe, &c. He shews the necessity of preachers, and that all true preachers must be sent, and have their mission from God. — Who hath believed our report? [1] Literally, our hearing? Some expound it thus: who hath believed the things we have heard from God, and which we have preached? The common interpretation is, who hath believed what he hath heard from us? (Witham)

Ver. 15. Unless they be sent. Here is an evident proof against all new teachers, who have all usurped to themselves the ministry, without any lawful mission, derived by succession from the apostles, to whom Christ said, (John xx. 21.) As my Father hath sent me, I also send you. (Challoner) — The Almighty sends people to preach two different ways. The one is extraordinary by internal inspiration, as was that of John the Baptist, and all the other prophets; in which case, however, extraordinary proofs must be given that they are sent by God; and the other is ordinary, which is derived from Christ, and from the apostles and their successors, whom he has appointed to be his vicegerents on earth. (Estius)

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CA,
    You are like BD offering us the Quran.
    These words are the thoughts of carnal men.

eveh
    Participant

Normally I stick with the KJV for most of my study. But this group of scriptures is just so wonderful in the Amplified Bible. I think it says it so that you clearly understand what is required to be a believer. Adhere to, trust in, rely on……if you do this you will repent, be baptised and receive the Holy Ghost. It is part of being a believer. There is always action required with believing…faith without works is dead.

Romans 10:9-11 (Amplified Bible)
    9Because if you acknowledge and confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and in your heart believe (adhere to, trust in, and rely on the truth) that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

10For with the heart a person believes (adheres to, trusts in, and relies on Christ) and so is justified (declared righteous, acceptable to God), and with the mouth he confesses (declares openly and speaks out freely his faith) and confirms [his] salvation.

11The Scripture says, No man who believes in Him [who adheres to, relies on, and trusts in Him] will [ever] be put to shame or be disappointed.(A)

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Eve,
    The Spirit must be given dominion within us and renew our minds according to scripture and let our mouths express the sacrifice of praise.

eveh
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Sep. 12 2009,18:37)
    Hi Eve,
    The Spirit must be given dominion within us and renew our minds according to scripture and let our mouths express the sacrifice of praise.

“I Love the LORD, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications. Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live. The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow. Then called I upon the name of the LORD; O LORD, I beseech thee, deliver my soul. Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; yea, our God is merciful. The LORD preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me. Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the LORD hath dealt bountifully with thee. For thou has delivered my soul from Death, mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling. I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living. I believed, therefore I have spoken: I was greatly afflicted. I said in my haste, All men are liars. What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits towards me? I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD. I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people. Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints. O LORD, truly I am thy servant; I am thy servant, and the son of thine handmaid: thou hast loosed my bonds. I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving , and will call upon the name of the LORD. I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people, In the courts of the LORD’S house, in the midst of thee, O Jerusalem. Praise ye the LORD.” (Psalms 116)

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

To All…….If you have GOD's Spirit in you it will guide you into all righteousness, it both accuses (US) when were wrong, giving us repentance and It defends Us when we are Right giving us strength and resolve. Without the Spirit you can not produce the Fruits of the SPIRIT on your own. IMO

peace and love……………….gene

NickHassan
    Participant

topical

terraricca
    Participant

Romans 10; 9-11

T8

what you think about act 15;

Ac 15:6 The apostles and elders met to consider this question.
    Ac 15:7 After much discussion, Peter got up and addressed them: “Brothers, you know that some time ago God made a choice among you that the Gentiles might hear from my lips the message of the gospel and believe.
    Ac 15:8 God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us.
    Ac 15:9 He made no distinction between us and them, for he purified their hearts by faith.
    Ac 15:10 Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of the disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear?
    Ac 15:11 No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are.”
    Ac 15:12 The whole assembly became silent as they listened to Barnabas and Paul telling about the miraculous signs and wonders God had done among the Gentiles through them.
    Ac 15:13 When they finished, James spoke up: “Brothers, listen to me.
    Ac 15:14 Simon has described to us how God at first showed his concern by taking from the Gentiles a people for himself.
    Ac 15:15 The words of the prophets are in agreement with this, as it is written:
    Ac 15:16 “ ‘After this I will return
    and rebuild David’s fallen tent.
    Its ruins I will rebuild,
    and I will restore it,
    Ac 15:17 that the remnant of men may seek the Lord,
    and all the Gentiles who bear my name,
    says the Lord, who does these things’
    Ac 15:18 that have been known for ages.
    Ac 15:19 “It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God.
    Ac 15:20 Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood.
    Ac 15:21 For Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath.”

The Council’s Letter to Gentile Believers

Ac 15:22 Then the apostles and elders, with the whole church, decided to choose some of their own men and send them to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas. They chose Judas (called Barsabbas) and Silas, two men who were leaders among the brothers.
    Ac 15:23 With them they sent the following letter:

The apostles and elders, your brothers,

To the Gentile believers in Antioch, Syria and Cilicia:

Greetings.

Ac 15:24 We have heard that some went out from us without our authorization and disturbed you, troubling your minds by what they said.
    Ac 15:25 So we all agreed to choose some men and send them to you with our dear friends Barnabas and Paul—
    Ac 15:26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    Ac 15:27 Therefore we are sending Judas and Silas to confirm by word of mouth what we are writing.
    Ac 15:28 It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements:
    Ac 15:29 You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Paul did not open a new way of salvation when he wrote to the Romans.
    He wrote to the saints urging them to walk in the Spirit.[Rom1]
    Those who are LED BY the Spirit are the sons of God[Rom8]

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 20 2010,08:42)
    Hi,
    Paul did not open a new way of salvation when he wrote to the Romans.
    He wrote to the saints urging them to walk in the Spirit.[Rom1]
    Those who are LED BY the Spirit are the sons of God[Rom8]

nick

all believers in Christ are walking in the spirit ,God make the separation between the brothers,and were they going and were they will be .not men.

on this Christ and apostles are in unity.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    First you must receive the word before it is in your heart.
    You must be born again.

karmarie
    Participant

To Non Trinitarians,  

Just curious… do you personally use as a title (and seperate from God the Father), Lord God Jesus ?

Like,

…”but of the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever; And the sceptre of uprightness is the sceptre of thy kingdom”.

..Thomas answered him, “”My Lord, and my God!”

Or

Ignatius…
    …..”But our Physician is the Only true God, the unbegotten and unapproachable, the Lord of all, the Father and Begetter of the only-begotten Son.

We have also as a Physician the Lord our God, Jesus the Christ, the only-begotten Son and Word, before time began, but who afterwards became also man, of Mary the virgin. For “the Word was made flesh.” (VII).

karmarie
    Participant

Also,

Within the old Jewish monotheist society, to call another Lord and God would have been really wrong. Was this why they were persecuted and killed? (I dont know?)

Also, in the upcoming great tribulation, the middle east is mainly Muslim monotheists, for anyone to say there is another with a title God is even now punishable by death, if Islam took over everything, true believers would have to face death, if they confess Jesus is Lord.

However many non trinitarians say Jesus cannot be called Lord and God. So they will not be harmed by these monotheists.
    It would seem Trinitarians will be killed for their belief, as would non trins who can confess Jesus as Lord and God, so they will be in the same situation..

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KM,
    There are many gods….
    But for US there is one God, the Father.[1Cor8]

Join US

karmarie
    Participant

Hi Nick, so you will stand with the Muslims and deny Jesus as Lord who is Lord under the One Almighty God the Father?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KM,
    ??
    Jesus is Lord.
    1Cor8
    'For us…one Lord Jesus Christ..”

karmarie
    Participant

Hi Nick. But what about the title also of God? One Almighty God the Father AND the Lord God Jesus His Son?

Because it seems this is what they used to say, (though knowing there was The One Almighty God alone but also the Son)

Wouldnt this be classed as having 2 Gods? And is that why they were persecuted and killed in such a strict monotheistic society?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account