Lord = yhwh

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 209 total)
  • Author
    mikeboll64
    Blocked

Hi All,

God himself tells Moses at the burning bush that His name is, “I am who I am” or “I will be what I will be”.  (Exodus 3:14)
    This personal name of the Almighty God is, in the Hebrew language, the letters YHWH.  These four Hebrew letters are commonly referred to as the “tetragrammaton”.  In English, they are sometimes pronounced as Yahweh, but more often as Jehovah.  In Exodus 3:15, Jehovah goes on to tell Moses, “This is my name forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation.”

Most Bible translations do not use the name Jehovah anymore.  The reasons why can be summed up by the preface of the Revised Standard Version.  It says that while the original American Standard Version rendered the tetragrammaton as Jehovah, their revised version uses the word LORD in all capital letters for two reasons:

1.  “…the word 'Jehovah' does not accurately represent any form of the name ever used in Hebrew.”

Well, neither does Jesus or any other biblical name.

2.  “…the use of amy proper name for the one and only God, as though there were other gods from whom He had to be distinguished, was discontinued in Judaism before the Christian era and is entirely inappropriate for the universal faith of the Christian Church.”

While I understand the human logic of this last statement, and acknowledge that the divine name Jehovah is not used in the New Testament, it is nevertheless still God's name.  And since it was men, not Jehovah himself, who decided at some point that we should not use the divine name anymore, we should try to, “…have in mind the things of God, (not) the things of men.”  (Matthew 16:23)  That being said, I will use the name God gave us for Himself, and I hope all others will.

peace and love,
    mike

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi MB,
    YHWH or the adapted word Jehovah?

Ed J
    Participant

Mikeboll64,

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT

YHVH is God's Name transliterated into English; transliterated means Sounds(Phonics).
    Hebrew has NO [W] SOUND, No [J] sound and the symbol ש is pronounced “Sh”.

GOD’s most sacred Holy Name [יהוה] was given to us directly from the Hebrew language.
    Correctly translating Hebrew into other languages can be difficult however.
    Some basic linguistical rules need to be considered when translating Hebrew texts.
    These include a lack of spacing between words, as a general rule has no written vowels
    and the basic direction in which Hebrew is written (opposite: from right to left).
    Hebrew word spacing is a modern advent that distinguishes one word from the next,
    aiding both translators and multi-linguists alike. Unwritten “implied” vowel sounds
    are a concern because, correct pronunciations of Hebrew words are at risk.

הוהי is pronounced with its exact preciseness “YÄ-hä-vā”; where ä sounds like that of the word “ah”
    and the other ā sounds like that of the vowel in the word “hay”. So when you see the tetragrammation
    YHVH, the proper pronunciation is YÄ-hä-vā. (Psalm 45:17) This point is made because the correct
    pronunciation was thought to be lost, which led only to translators’ interpretations.

[יהוה] GOD’s Name   [י] Yod [ה] Ha [ו] Vav [ה] Hey  …is pronounced  YÄ-hä-vā  &  [יה] YÄ
    GOD’s Name (יהוה) transliterates directly into English as YHVH because the Hebrew alphabet lacks vowels.

Theomatics offers proof of this FACT as a second witness (Matt.18:16)…
    The “Divine=63” “Deity=63” of “The Bible=63” is “YHVH=63”! Click here for more

YHVH is GOD=117
    PSALM 117is[The Bible's Center], the “[smallest chapter]” of the [LARGEST BOOK]!

Witnessing to the world in behalf of… (Psalm 45:17)
    117=יהוה האלהים(JEHOVAH GOD) YÄ-hä-vā hä ĔL-ō-Hêêm!
    Ed J (AKJV Joshua 22:34 Isaiah 60:13-15)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Mar. 02 2010,14:26)
    Mikeboll64,

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT

YHVH is God's Name transliterated into English; transliterated means Sounds(Phonics).

GOD’s most sacred Holy Name [יהוה] was given to us directly from the Hebrew language.
    Some basic linguistical rules need to be considered when translating Hebrew texts.
    These include a lack of spacing between words, as a general rule has no written vowels
    and the basic direction in which Hebrew is written (opposite: from right to left).
    Hebrew word spacing is a modern advent that distinguishes one word from the next,
    aiding both translators and multi-linguists alike. Unwritten “implied” vowel sounds

הוהי is pronounced with its exact preciseness “YÄ-hä-vā”; where ä sounds like that of the word “ah”
    and the other ā sounds like that of the vowel in the word “hay”. So when you see the tetragrammation
    YHVH, the proper pronunciation is YÄ-hä-vā. (Psalm 45:17) This point is made because the correct
    pronunciation was thought to be lost, which led only to translators’ interpretations.

[יהוה] GOD’s Name   [י] Yod [ה] Ha [ו] Vav [ה] Hey  …is pronounced  YÄ-hä-vā  &  [יה] YÄ
    GOD’s Name (יהוה) transliterates directly into English as YHVH because the Hebrew alphabet lacks vowels.

YHVH is GOD=117
    PSALM 117is[The Bible's Center], the “[smallest chapter]” of the [LARGEST BOOK]!

edj

let see the important thing first;
    1Co 13:1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal

do you understand what the LOVE stand forth????

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Mar. 03 2010,01:59)

Mikeboll64,

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT

YHVH is GOD=117

edj

let see the important thing first;
    1Co 13:1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal

do you understand what the LOVE stand forth????

Hi Terraricca,

Love is truly of YHVH!

Love(54) + YHVH(63) = 117

God bless
    Ed J

terraricca
    Participant

EDJ
    if you can not explain what the love of God is or what it does and how ,then i say you do not understand the scriptures,and niether God or Christ.

please explain

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Mar. 03 2010,07:02)
    EDJ
    if you can not explain what the love of God is or what it does and how ,then i say you do not understand the scriptures,and niether God or Christ.

please explain

Hi Terraricca,

What; are you trying to put me to some sort of a test?
    Ask Georg: he'll tell you I don't answer questions like that!
    Feel free to ask me questions when you 'don't' know the answer.
    Then I will show you my love by helping you find the Scriptural answer!

God bless
    Ed J
    http://wwww.holycitybiblecode.org

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 02 2010,13:36)
    Hi MB,
    YHWH or the adapted word Jehovah?

Hi Nick,

You can call Him by any translation of the divine name you wish. Call him “I am” if you want. I don't think Jeshua minds that in English we praise him as Jesus, or in Mexico they praise him as haysus. My point was simply that He gave us his divine name and told us this is his name forever – the one He was to be remembered by. We should use it IMO.

P.S. None of the apostles names in Greek sound like we say them in English, either.

peace and love,
    mike

mikeboll64
    Blocked

is pronounced with its exact preciseness “YÄ-hä-vā”; where ä sounds like that of the word “ah”

“YHVH is GOD”=117
    PSALM 117 “is” [The Bible's Center], the “[smallest chapter]” of the [LARGEST BOOK]!

Hi Ed,

You said:

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT

What “FACT” did I get crooked?  

I love you, brother, but you gotta stop with the numbers.
    I read your posts and right when you are making a good point, you throw the numbers in and I start thinking, “What in the world is this dude talking about?”

Your numbers remind me of a horoscope – on any given day, you can fit your life into any of the zodiac signs.  In the same way, you can come up with words or phrases to fit into any number you want.  I think Bod asked once (and I agree), “Why do you only use the word “the” when it makes the numbers come out right?”

IMO, making numbers match letters is not needed to understand the Word of God.

peace and love,
    mike

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Mar. 03 2010,10:40)

Mikeboll64,

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT

Hebrew has NO [W] SOUND, No [J] sound and the symbol ש is pronounced “Sh”.

YHVH is GOD=117

Hi Ed,

You said:

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT

What “FACT” did I get crooked?  

I love you, brother, but you gotta stop with the numbers.
    I read your posts and right when you are making a good point, you throw the numbers in and I start thinking, “What in the world is this dude talking about?”

Your numbers remind me of a horoscope – on any given day, you can fit your life into any of the zodiac signs.  In the same way, you can come up with words or phrases to fit into any number you want.  I think Bod asked once (and I agree), “Why do you only use the word “the” when it makes the numbers come out right?”

IMO, making numbers match letters is not needed to understand the Word of God.

peace and love,
    mike

Hi MikeBoll64,

Hebrew DOESN'T have a “W” SOUND!

God's Name [יהוה] transliterates into English as YHVH; is transliterates means Sounds(Phonics)
    God's Name [יהוה] also translates directly into English as YHVH; because Hebrew LACKS VOWELS!

Ed J

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Mar. 03 2010,08:09)

Quote (terraricca @ Mar. 03 2010,07:02)
    EDJ

please explain

Hi Terraricca,

What; are you trying to put me to some sort of a test?
    Ask Georg: he'll tell you I don't answer questions like that!
    Feel free to ask me questions when you 'don't' know the answer.
    Then I will show you my love by helping you find the Scriptural answer!

God bless
    Ed J
    http://wwww.holycitybiblecode.org

edj

well, we may not talk a loth ,

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (Ed J @ Mar. 03 2010,10:55)
    Hi MikeBoll64,

Hi Ed,

Okay, point taken. But my post wasn't on Hebrew grammer. The “facts” I pointed out is that in English, it is sometimes pronounced Yahweh, but more often as Jehovah. This, my friend, is true.

peace and love,
    mike

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Mar. 03 2010,14:05)

Quote (Ed J @ Mar. 03 2010,10:55)
    Hi MikeBoll64,

Hi Ed,

Okay, point taken.  But my post wasn't on Hebrew grammer.  The “facts” I pointed out is that in English, it is sometimes pronounced Yahweh, but more often as Jehovah.  This, my friend, is true.

peace and love,
    mike

Hi Mikeboll64,

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT

JEHOVAH is pronounced in the Hebrew tongue: [יהוה] YÄ-hä-vā   YOU HAVE POSTED A COUNTERFEIT NAME.

JESUS is Pronounced in the Hebrew: [יהשוע] YÄ-shü-ă   ANOTHER COUNTERFEIT NAME IS [ישוע] Yəsh-yü-ă !

The Hebrew word [ישוע] Yəsh-yü-ă merely means ‘He will save’. Distancing [יה]’s (YÄ's) salvation
    from the man Jesus is a rejection of Jesus=74 as Messiah=74. This subtle distinction of [ישוע] Yəsh-yü-ă
    purposely substituted for [יהשוע] YÄ-shü-ă usually goes unnoticed when heard by a non Hebrew-speaking person;
    nevertheless, this wholly implies a specific denial of Jesus as Lord and Savior.

Jesus’ authentic Name [יהשוע] YÄ-shü-ă has a direct connection to GOD’s name [יה]
    in that YÄ is the first part of Jesus’ “REAL” name. GOD’s name is not vocalized
    in the English translation of the name Jesus and therefore misses the precise exactness
    and direct authentic connection to God’s Hebrew name [יה] YÄ. Jesus’ Name in Hebrew
    יהשוע means: (“YÄ is salvation” [יה]+[ישע]=[יהשוע]) the salvation of [GOD the Father=117].
    [יהשוע] “Jesus” REAL name authentically establishes [יהוה] “JEHOVAH” as the highest Name. (Psalm 83:18)

(Phil. 2:9,11: Wherefore [Holy Spirit] has highly exalted [Jesus] giving Him a name
    which is above every name, to the glory of [GOD The Father=117].) Neither is there salvation
    in any other name: for there is no other name given among men (יהשוע), whereby we must be
    saved. (Acts 4:12) People speaking fluent Hebrew know that in essence, [יהשוע] YÄ-shü-ă
    means: “YÄ is Savior”. The Name of [GOD=26] is [יהוה=26] spoken as [YÄ=26]; and “YÄ-hä-vā”!

“The Savior”=117 is “GOD The Father”=117, (117=”יהוה האלהים” YÄ-hä-vā hä ĔL- ō-Hêêm)!
    And He is Savior to all who walk the ground! “JEHOVAH GOD”; and there is ‘NO’ other! (Isaiah 43:11)

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (Ed J @ Mar. 03 2010,15:01)
    GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT

JEHOVAH is pronounced in the Hebrew tongue: [יהוה] YÄ-hä-vā   YOU HAVE POSTED A COUNTERFEIT NAME.

JESUS is Pronounced in the Hebrew: [יהשוע] YÄ-shü-ă   ANOTHER COUNTERFEIT NAME IS [ישוע] Yəsh-yü-ă !

Hi Ed,

Do you think that Jesus gets mad that we in America call him Jesus?

How about YHWH?  Do you think he understands that many different languages are spoken on this earth and his name is said differently in those languages?

Is your point that I must learn Hebrew to worship my God Jehovah?  I don't think God really cares if I say it as the Hebrews did.  He knows who I'm talking to when I say Jehovah.

Is that okay with you?  I mean, can I still call my ride a car even though that's not how it is said in Hebrew?  I don't speak Hebrew, only English.  And in English, I will worship Jehovah.

peace and love,
    mike

Lightenup
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Mar. 01 2010,20:30)
    Hi All,

God himself tells Moses at the burning bush that His name is, “I am who I am” or “I will be what I will be”.  (Exodus 3:14)
    This personal name of the Almighty God is, in the Hebrew language, the letters YHWH.  These four Hebrew letters are commonly referred to as the “tetragrammaton”.  In English, they are sometimes pronounced as Yahweh, but more often as Jehovah.  In Exodus 3:15, Jehovah goes on to tell Moses, “This is my name forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation.”

Most Bible translations do not use the name Jehovah anymore.  The reasons why can be summed up by the preface of the Revised Standard Version.  It says that while the original American Standard Version rendered the tetragrammaton as Jehovah, their revised version uses the word LORD in all capital letters for two reasons:

1.  “…the word 'Jehovah' does not accurately represent any form of the name ever used in Hebrew.”

Well, neither does Jesus or any other biblical name.

2.  “…the use of amy proper name for the one and only God, as though there were other gods from whom He had to be distinguished, was discontinued in Judaism before the Christian era and is entirely inappropriate for the universal faith of the Christian Church.”

While I understand the human logic of this last statement, and acknowledge that the divine name Jehovah is not used in the New Testament, it is nevertheless still God's name.  And since it was men, not Jehovah himself, who decided at some point that we should not use the divine name anymore, we should try to, “…have in mind the things of God, (not) the things of men.”  (Matthew 16:23)  That being said, I will use the name God gave us for Himself, and I hope all others will.

peace and love,
    mike

Hi Mike,
    It would be interesting to have a Bible that protected the Hebrew name and maybe we could find a key to where Jesus is spoken of in the Old Testament more clearly.

Just a thought that has been rolling around in my brain.  Perhaps the Father and the Son within the Godhead have a consistent Hebrew name that is unique to each of them, like the Son is Yhvh Adonai and the Father is Yhvh and the Godhead itself might be Yhvh Elohim or something like that.  I would like to study that.  Maybe I would come up with nothing but maybe not.

Kathi

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Hi Kathi,

If you find ANYTHING in Scripture explaining a “Godhead”, I would love to know about it. After all, I wan't to make sure I am worshipping correctly.

peace and love,
    mike

Lightenup
    Participant

Hi Mike,
    There are hints of the Godhead throughout the whole Bible. If you are open to the idea and want to see it, you can, but if you are not open to the idea and don't want to see it then you won't. Just like anything else. God will show those who are seeking Him with pure hearts and not their own agenda.

Kathi

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (Lightenup @ Mar. 04 2010,15:43)
    Hi Mike,
    There are hints of the Godhead throughout the whole Bible.  If you are open to the idea and want to see it, you can, but if you are not open to the idea and don't want to see it then you won't.  Just like anything else.  God will show those who are seeking Him with pure hearts and not their own agenda.

Kathi

Hi Kathi,

That's exactly my point – HINTS.

If we were meant to be worshipping Jesus or if Jesus was part of a Godhead, there wouldn't be just hints.  It would be made very clear to us.  Don't you think?

How could God or Jesus just expect us to know these things?
    Everything we're supposed to be doing is precisely layed out for us in the Bible.  Worship ONLY God.  Love Him with your whole heart, mind and soul.  Treat others as you would have them treat you.  There are no more sacrifices required for sin.  Jesus was the last.  Now what we are suppose to do while waiting for his return is in Micah 6:

6 With what shall I come before the LORD
          and bow down before the exalted God?
          Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
          with calves a year old?

7 Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams,
          with ten thousand rivers of oil?
          Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression,
          the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?

8 He has showed you, O man, what is good.
          And what does the LORD require of you?
          To act justly and to love mercy
          and to walk humbly with your God.

peace and love,
    mike

Lightenup
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Mar. 04 2010,18:08)

Hi Mike,
    There are hints of the Godhead throughout the whole Bible.  If you are open to the idea and want to see it, you can, but if you are not open to the idea and don't want to see it then you won't.  Just like anything else.  God will show those who are seeking Him with pure hearts and not their own agenda.

Kathi

Hi Kathi,

That's exactly my point – HINTS.

If we were meant to be worshipping Jesus or if Jesus was part of a Godhead, there wouldn't be just hints.  It would be made very clear to us.  Don't you think?

How could God or Jesus just expect us to know these things?
    Everything we're supposed to be doing is precisely layed out for us in the Bible.  Worship ONLY God.  Love Him with your whole heart, mind and soul.  Treat others as you would have them treat you.  There are no more sacrifices required for sin.  Jesus was the last.  Now what we are suppose to do while waiting for his return is in Micah 6:

6 With what shall I come before the LORD
          and bow down before the exalted God?
          Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
          with calves a year old?

7 Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams,
          with ten thousand rivers of oil?
          Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression,
          the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?

8 He has showed you, O man, what is good.
          And what does the LORD require of you?
          To act justly and to love mercy
          and to walk humbly with your God.

peace and love,
    mike

Hi Mike,
    It would be nice to be spoon fed all wisdom, maybe, then again, maybe not. If we found wisdom after searching and searching then we might appreciate it more and remember it better. See here and read about searching out wisdom as if it were a hidden treasure:

Prov 2:1-12
    2 My son, if you will receive my words And treasure my commandments within you, 2 Make your ear attentive to wisdom, Incline your heart to understanding; 3 For if you cry for discernment, Lift your voice for understanding; 4 If you seek her as silver And search for her as for hidden treasures; 5 Then you will discern the fear of the Lord And discover the knowledge of God. 6 For the Lord gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding. 7 He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk in integrity, 8 Guarding the paths of justice, And He preserves the way of His godly ones. 9 Then you will discern righteousness and justice And equity and every good course. 10 For wisdom will enter your heart And knowledge will be pleasant to your soul; 11 Discretion will guard you, Understanding will watch over you, 12 To deliver you from the way of evil, From the man who speaks perverse things;
    NASU

So, we keep searching and walk humbly…and we will be rewarded.

One thing that popped into my mind just now is how the star that the wise men followed to find Christ was such a hint within the OT that would be so easy to overlook but it became a prominent part of the story of the birth of Christ. The wise men knew about it and went on a long journey because of it. So “hints” in scripture are not necessarily to be overlooked as insignificant. If wisdom was so blatantly clear that anyone that could read to find it, we would just have another daily flip calendar on our desk :)

God bless,
    Kathi

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Mike,

Kathi

Hi LU,
    So if you see a binity in scripture it is strong evidence you are on the right path and have a pure heart??

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 209 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account