Jesus promises you will stop sinning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Samuel @ Feb. 11 2009,01:28)
    Not that it would make any difference, I'd probably still be giving in to my flesh, and sinning.

Sam,
    Everything you said can be summed up in this quote above.

Because you are human. Because you are born into sinful nature. Because you were created this way. Because of the “original sin” of Adam. Yes, you will probably always give in to your flesh.

That being said, there is hope for those who struggle with addictions and so forth. I do believe in miracles (albeit rare). But more than that, I believe in the provision that the Father has made. That provision is Jesus Christ.

Even though we will probably continue to give in to our sinful nature (even though we try not to, and pray not to, and beg not to…), Jesus is our reconciliation. God accepts us because of Jesus. God loves us because of Jesus. We are family now because of Jesus. We even have a guarantee of this!

2 Corinthians 1:22
    set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

Sam, don't let anyone tell you that because you give in to sin you are bad or unworthy! Don't believe that it is lack of faith on your part. It is because you are human, bro. God knew this and sent Jesus. Do the best you can. Love your God, and love your neighbor. Do this and you're golden.

Love,
    Mandy

meerkat
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Feb. 10 2009,19:46)
    Gene Balthrop wrote:

To All………He who says He has (NO SIN) IS A LIAR> is there anyone Here without SIN , Let Him speak up. I would like to Know ? If Not then those who require it of others, and are not themselves, are nothing more then HYPOCRITES AND LIARS> IMO

That makes you a servant of the devil because you teach that all people are slaves to sin and thus deny the gospel of Jesus Christ. I suggest you become wise and believe what God states before your perish.

1 John 1:7-9

Kerwin,

Gene is not advocating any to sin wilfully …… he is saying that if we think that we do not have sin that we need to confess, we deceive ourselves (as is written here) ……….. we are to be aware of our sin and confess it and then we will be cleansed of that sin ………

The reality is we all have a carnal nature – it is part of being human.

Samuel
    Participant

I'm going to be honest with you. I am thankful for my life. For being Healthy, for being able to hear, see, walk, and talk, to feel, to have the use of my whole body functions normally.

I'm thankful that I have food to eat, a job, a place, a vehicle to drive, and a wonderful church to go to.

I'm thankful that it rained today…Do not get it twisted…I am thankful for every thing that I have, and that has been given to me.

I love to just stop sometimes and smell the fresh air and the breeze blowing by that has the smell of fallen oak leaves and earth in the air.

However, Sometimes, I wish that I was not in this fleshly body. I can't help but wonder, am I going to have the same tendencies when I'm out of this body? Will I actually be able to do whats right then?

I mean I do things now, that I don't really want to be doing. I can't stand the fact that I do them. I wish I could stop myself from doing them. But I can't seem to stop myself.

Then it makes me think well if I can't stop sinning do I really love Jesus. I mean after all the scripture says that:

“If you love me you will keep my commandment”

I love people, although they get on my nerves I still love people. Just because I don't like what they did to me does not mean that I want to see them burn in a Hell.

I would like very much for us all to be able to live in peace and harmony one day with Jesus Christ.

I can't even begin to understand the type of love that Jesus Christ has for us. I mean, I just do not understand it.

Yeah I've stopped doing some things, then I find myself doing the very same thing 3 months later. I'm not doing them with the intention that “Well, I'm going to do this because I know that I can get forgiven for it later”.

I just can't seem to tame my flesh. Is that wrong?

I mean why can I not be perfect?

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm super scared of my own self. Because I know that I allow my self to do very foolish things.

I need to be saved from myself. Is what I need.

It has occured to me that I don't have the power to do anything. What are my actions going to afford me.

Is it what we do that makes us?

Or is it what GOD does that makes us?

I tend to think the latter, is the answer.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Samual,
    Grace is all.

2Peter1
    1Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

2Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,

3According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

Lk11
    9And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

10For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

His grace is sufficient to overcome.

kerwin
    Participant

Samuel wrote:

So you are without sin then Kewrin?   Is this what you are telling me?

I freely admit I am a slave to sin because I have not yet entered the New Covenant.  My reasons for not doing so are questionable.  But even if I do sin it does not invalidate God’s promise that those who hunger and thirst for righteousness will be filled.  That righteousness is the true righteousness that is like God’s because that is the goal of all true servants of God and they believe God will do as He promises.  

You sound like the only way you can conceive of someone overcoming sin is by human effort and I assure you that human effort is doomed to failure as through Adam we are all slaves to sin.  It is only through faith in Jesus Christ that we are freed from slavery to sin and made servants of righteousness and it is only by the power of God that we will stop sinning.  Are you suggesting that God cannot stop you from sinning by living in your flesh and doing His works?  Are you suggesting He does not live within those that believe?

Samuel wrote:

Look at Peter…he is an Apostle for crying out loud!
    And he completely denied the fact that he even knew who Jesus was.

Peter's denial occurred before the New Covenant was in force since it could not be in fore until Jesus died as his sacrifice was necessary to put it in force.  In other words he was still a slave to sin.  We know he did sin after entering the New Covenant as Paul rebuked him.  The fact he sinned only means he needed to mature in Jesus just like an alcoholic who falls off the wagon needs to climb on again and seek to fully overcome their ailment.  The difference is that Peter has God to do it for him by giving him the Spirit to live by.

Samuel wrote:

Are you trying to say that if someone gets forgiveness and then sins again they can't be associated with GOD any more?  Are you trying to tell me there is not more forgiveness?

I am saying that the goal of any true servant of God is to be like God in true righteousness and holiness even if the stumble along the way.  They get up and continue toward their goal and they will not look back as Lot’s wife did because even if they sin their goal is still to stop sinning.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,
    We cannot be servants of God till we submit to his demands and enter through the door of Jesus[jn10]
    Servants are known as servants because they obey.

Acts 16:17
    The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation.
    Romans 6:17
    But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
    Romans 6:22
    But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

We born into Christ serve God in serving Christ

Galatians 1:10
    For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
    Ephesians 6:6
    Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart;
    James 1:1
    James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.

Not3in1
    Participant

Sam,

I echo Nick when he says grace is all you need. We may not overcome….but grace (which is a pardon, mercy) will be there.

2 Corinthians 12:9
    But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Take heart and be of good cheer…..Christ HAS overcome!
    Mandy

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Feb. 11 2009,09:02)
    I am saying that the goal of any true servant of God is to be like God in true righteousness and holiness even if the stumble along the way.

Romans 3:10-12

10As it is written:
    “There is no one righteous, not even one;
    11there is no one who understands,
    no one who seeks God.
    12All have turned away,
    they have together become worthless;
    there is no one who does good,
    not even one.”

We live by grace, not by any kind of righteousness. That isn't what saves us, bro.

Love,
    Mandy

meerkat
    Participant

Mandy

Very nice to see you back …………… my prayers are also with you ……..

Participant

Hi to all:

Grace is not a license to sin, but is the mercy of God when we fall short. We must not be deceived into believing that it is ok for us, as Christians, to give in to sin. We must submit ourselves to God and resist the temptation to sin.

Gal 2:17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, [is] therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Jodi Lee
    Participant

Hello Sam,

I feel for you buddy, and from what I hear you saying, I have good reason to believe that you should not be so hard on yourself. I have been doing much research in the field of neuroscience, and you seem to have a problem that I feel is more in the need of healing then in the need of you asking for forgiveness brother. I will pray for you, that God will lift this burden from you. You have indeed been tortured by your flesh, and I can see it is weighing heavy on your mind.

I pray that YHWH will bring you into peace, Jodi

kerwin
    Participant

Not3in1(Mandy) wrote:

We live by grace, not by any kind of righteousness.  That isn't what saves us, bro.

Here is Paul’s answered to those who made a similar error to yours:

Romans 6:1-2(NIV) reads:

What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?

I assure you if God is not fulfilling His promise to give you righteousness like His then you are not receiving His gift (grace), the Spirit.  God is faithful and will do as he promised if you have faith and do as his Son Jesus the Messiah teaches.

Context is important so it would be best if you also read verse 19 of the third chapter of Romans where Paul tells you he is speaking of those under the law when he states “no one is righteous”.

Romans 3:19(NIV) reads:

Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God.

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (meerkat @ Feb. 11 2009,10:38)
    Mandy

Very nice to see you back …………… my prayers are also with you ……..

Thanks! Good to see you again, too!
    :)

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Feb. 11 2009,13:24)
    Hi to all:

Grace is not a license to sin, but is the mercy of God when we fall short.  We must not be deceived into believing that it is ok for us, as Christians, to give in to sin.  We must submit ourselves to God and resist the temptation to sin.

Gal 2:17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, [is] therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Hey Marty,

What God loving Christian wants to sin? I just can't imagine what Christian would use grace as an okeydokey to sin?

Rather, sincere Christians who are struggling with sin fall into temptation that they cannot seem to overcome. There is a difference, imo.

Love,
    Mandy

kerwin
    Participant

Meerkat wrote:

The reality is we all have a carnal nature – it is part of being human.

I am pretty sure Gene was saying that everyone has to sin and that is the equivalent of saying we are slaves to sin and that Jesus’ sacrifice was for nothing.  Now I agree that, if in your pursuit of the God’s promise of a true righteousness that is like His, you sin then you need to get up and confess your sin and continue in your pursuit of His promise.

Not3in1
    Participant

Romans 6:23
    For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Erwin,
    We cannot pay our debt. It's too high. So the Father sent us a gift in Jesus Christ. Jesus is our pardon; our grace by which we stand. Paul instructs us not to use our bodies for evil, but to press on towards higher living. Paul is also the very same one who shared with his reader's (perhaps in a moment of weakness?) that he could not do the very thing that he preached for us to do!!! There is a conflict there if you read into it.

I believe there is an ideal that every Christian should strive for. But I dare say, if righteousness was able to be reached….we wouldn't need Jesus OR the grace he provides us.

The road you are paving for yourself is going to be a hard road to walk, I'm afraid. I wish you well.

Love,
    Mandy

kerwin
    Participant

Nick Hassan wrote:

Servants are known as servants because they obey.

I agree with this statement but a servant only knows what they have been commanded at that time and not what they will be commanded in the future.

kerwin
    Participant

Not3in1(Mandy) wrote:

I believe there is an ideal that every Christian should strive for.

That goal is admirable.

Not3in1(Mandy) wrote:

But I dare say, if righteousness was able to be reached….we wouldn't need Jesus OR the grace he provides us.

It is obvious you do not understand me here since you keep implying I am saying righteousness can be reached by human effort.  I agree with you that it cannot be so reached.

What I am saying is that we can stop sinning by God’s grace through faith in Jesus our Lord.   That is why God gives those who obey His Son’s teaching the Holy Spirit and if they hold to the faith they will stop sinning.   It is about faith from first to last and even that we receive by God’s grace so we have nothing to boast about.  Never the less we can and will stop sinning because God and Jesus will live in us and do their works through our flesh if we obey Jesus’ teachings.

The way was opened only because Jesus chose to sacrifice himself according to His Father's will.

Not3in1(Mandy) wrote:

The road you are paving for yourself is going to be a hard road to walk, I'm afraid.  I wish you well.

As I pointed out it is not really me walking it except to put my faith in God that He will do what needs to be done at the proper time and then for me to do what he puts in front of me to do.

Not3in1
    Participant

Hi Erwin,

What I am saying is that we can stop sinning by God’s grace through faith in Jesus our Lord.

Really? Have you stopped sinning? You realize what human nature is, don't you? The bible refers to it as “sinful nature”. Hmmmm

Never the less we can and will stop sinning because God and Jesus will live in us and do their works through our flesh if we obey Jesus’ teachings.

It's interesting how the very same God that bound us all over to disobedience is now, according to you, going to keep us from sinning? I don't think so. Once again, I've never met a sinless Christian.

David fills the Psalms with songs and pleadings to God about what a wretch of a man he was. Scads of stories of men, knowing their sin, knowing they couldn't control themselves……mighty men of God! Tell us, do you want us all to be stronger than Solomon, or King David? How about John, Peter, and Paul – they all continued to sin after being with their Master. We never read that after they learned the teachings of Jesus that they led a sinless life. We never read about it, because it never happened. It's the hope – the ideal – it's what we strive for……but it won't happen until we follow our brother in death and resurrection.

We disagree. That's okay, it's been nice tossing ideas back and forth.
    Mandy

kerwin
    Participant

Not3and1(Mandy) wrote:

Really?  Have you stopped sinning?  You realize what human nature is, don't you?  The bible refers to it as “sinful nature”.  Hmmmm

It is referred to as the flesh in some cases but it is only the source of Satan’s temptation of us and not why we sin.   We sin because we have a spirit that was corrupted by Adam’s and Eve’s sin.  Under the New Covenant we receive a new spirit that is created like God in true holiness and righteousness that we received through faith in His Son Jesus the Messiah.

Hebrews 11:1(NIV) reads:

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see

I hope for a righteousness that is like God’s and I am certain I will receive it because He said those that “hunger and thirst for righteousness will be filled” and God does not lie.

Not3and1(Mandy) wrote:

It's interesting how the very same God that bound us all over to disobedience is now, according to you, going to keep us from sinning?  I don't think so

Why so strange as He is the same God that handed the Hebrew people over to Babylon and then later called them home.

Not3and1(Mandy) wrote:

Once again, I've never met a sinless Christian.

How does that invalidate God’s promise?

Not3and1(Mandy) wrote:

We never read about it, because it never happened

It depends on what is meant by this statement and others.

2 Timothy 4:7 reads:

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

And

1 Corinthians 11:1(NIV) reads:

Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.

Not3and1(Mandy) wrote:

but it won't happen until we follow our brother in death and resurrection.

No one sins when they are dead.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account