Jesus promises you will stop sinning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    kerwin
    Participant

Jesus taught in his sermon on the mountain mentioned in Matthew 5 that the individuals who hungered and thirsted for righteousness would be filled.  Since God desires his people are truly righteous as He is righteous it is self evident that the promise God is speaking through Jesus is a promise to obtain a righteousness that is like God’s which is to say one stops sinning.  

Now the question to you is then do you believe God when he tells you that if you believe Jesus is the Promised One you will stop sinning.  If you do believe Jesus is the Promised One then you will believe he is Lord and thus you will obey his commands.  If you obey Jesus’ commands because you believe he is Lord then God will be faithful and do as he promises as long as you persevere in the faith.   That is the new covenant God has made with man and that covenant is sealed with the blood of His Son Jesus Christ.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi kw,
    We in Christ inherit his righteousness.
    By the grace of God and the intercession of Christ we can stay free.
    1jn5
    18We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Participant

Hi kerwin:

You say:

Now the question to you is then do you believe God when he tells you that if you believe Jesus is the Promised One you will stop sinning

I believe that as born again Christians, we will stop practicing sin wilfully while we are in this mortal body, but we will not totally stop sinning until we receive our spiritual body. It is the blood of Jesus that washes away our sins when we make our mistakes and keeps us in right standing with God.

Rabsheka
    Participant

Greetings All

You are right 942767. We will commit sins until we die in this tent and temporary dwelling, but in my experience less and less so as the Spirit teaches and corrects us. But it is our flesh that continues to sin in its efforts to satisfy it's hungers and lusts. He who is born again has had his sins prior to that point erased with the blood of Christ, which continues it's work so long as we do not PRACTISE sin and continue to confess the day to day sins we do so they can be carried by the Spirit from our spirit (which is free of sin) to Our Lord the High Priest who intercedes on our behalf. Practising sin means sin planned and put into effect over time and not renounced through prayer in repentence, whereby we as spiritual salt lose our saltiness and end up grieving (ie lying to) the Holy Spirit, which is withdrawn and we are cut off. Do not let anyone fool you, he who says he does not sin because he has received the riches of God and Christ is a liar (1 John 1:10).

Now I confess that I lied to a shopkeeper the other day, trying to get a better deal. I now confess this sin, I ask now for forgiveness through my Lord and am committed to eliminate this tendency within me – With the aid of the Holy Spirit through my Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

May the undeserved kindness of our Lord be with You

RS

Participant

Quote (Rabsheka @ Jan. 28 2009,10:55)
    Greetings All

You are right 942767. We will commit sins until we die in this tent and temporary dwelling, but in my experience less and less so as the Spirit teaches and corrects us. But it is our flesh that continues to sin in its efforts to satisfy it's hungers and lusts. He who is born again has had his sins prior to that point erased with the blood of Christ, which continues it's work so long as we do not PRACTISE sin and continue to confess the day to day sins we do so they can be carried by the Spirit from our spirit (which is free of sin) to Our Lord the High Priest who intercedes on our behalf. Practising sin means sin planned and put into effect over time and not renounced through prayer in repentence, whereby we as spiritual salt lose our saltiness and end up grieving (ie lying to) the Holy Spirit, which is withdrawn and we are cut off. Do not let anyone fool you, he who says he does not sin because he has received the riches of God and Christ is a liar (1 John 1:10).

Now I confess that I lied to a shopkeeper the other day, trying to get a better deal. I now confess this sin, I ask now for forgiveness through my Lord and am committed to eliminate this tendency within me – With the aid of the Holy Spirit through my Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

May the undeserved kindness of our Lord be with You

RS

Hi Brother:

I agree with what your have stated. Isn't it good to know that if we make a mistake we are not condemned? However, we should not use the grace of God as a cloak to commit sin.

But as you say, we should become a mature Christian at some point in our walk with the Lord, and after our Father has disciplined us a time or two.

It isn't it good to know that the Most High God, our Heavenly Father loves us and shows that by correcting us as often as we need to be corrected? Hey, I know that He loves me.

May God bless you and your family.
    Love in Christ, Marty

kerwin
    Participant

I am well aware of the tricks Satan plays with our minds and our hearts and the lies he whispers in our ears and one of those lies is we cannot stop sinning while still in the tent of this body.   Like Satan’s temptation to Jesus, to jump from a high building and the angels would stop Jesus from being harmed, there is some truth in this one as by our own effort we cannot stop sinning but when you are in the Messiah Jesus it is not your effort you depend on but the effort of your Father who is in heaven and anything is possible for God.

Satan has told some that while they are in the flesh they must sin but that is not a Christian belief, it is a Gnostic belief as they falsely believed all that is material is corrupt and the spiritual is not.  If that is true then why must you be reborn in spirit to enter the kingdom of God.  It is the spirit of man and not their body that is corrupt.   We also know that the angels that sinned and so fell from heaven do not have a body as we do.   If Jesus is any example of what our new body will be like, then in all appearances it will be like that of the angels whom were not immune to sin.  

I will admit that there are certainly lusts of the flesh but the angels also must have had lusts or they would not have sinned.  In point of fact we know that like each of us Jesus too suffered these lusts of the flesh for he was tempted as we are and yet he chose not to give into them.  He did this because he believed in God and so lived by the Spirit that we too receive through him on entering the new covenant.

There is several questions that you should ask yourself on this subject.  The first question is “does God desire us to be righteous as he is righteous?“  The answer I find in scripture is that he does.   The second question is “can God live a righteous life in our bodies as he did in Jesus’?”   Again the answer I come up with is yes.  The third question is “will he do it?” and the answer I receive from scripture is he will do it for those who believe His Son is the King of kings Lord of lords and so make Jesus Lord of their life.  I say this because scripture clearly states those who live the spirit will not sin.   It is true that to live by the spirit you have faith and your faith must be completely mature to live by the spirit at all times.  It is that goal toward which any true servant of Jesus, and thus God who he serves, will sincerely strive.

This is the hope for which I strive and for which I earnestly desire others to strive for.

Participant

Hi Kerwin:

What then is your interpretation of the following scriptures?

1Jo 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

1Jo 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

1Jo 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

1Jo 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1Jo 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

david
    Participant

SINNING–MISSING THE MARK

The common Hebrew term translated “sin” is chat·ta’th′; in Greek the usual word is ha·mar·ti′a. In both languages the verb forms (Heb., cha·ta’′; Gr., ha·mar·ta′no) mean “miss,” in the sense of missing or not reaching a goal, way, mark, or right point. At Judges 20:16 cha·ta’′ is used, with a negative, to describe the Benjamites who were ‘slingers of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss.’ Greek writers often used ha·mar·ta′no with regard to a spearman missing his target. Both of these words were used to mean missing or failing to reach not merely physical objects or goals (Job 5:24) but also moral or intellectual goals or marks. Proverbs 8:35, 36 says the one finding godly wisdom finds life, but the ‘one missing [from Heb., cha·ta’′] wisdom is doing violence to his soul,’ leading to death. In the Scriptures both the Hebrew and Greek terms refer mainly to sinning on the part of God’s intelligent creatures, their missing the mark with regard to their Creator.

That being said: “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (Rom 3:23)

And:

Rom. 5:12: “Through one man [Adam] sin entered into the world and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men because they had all sinned.”

No matter how uprightly we may live, all of us are sinners from birth. (Ps. 51:5) There is no way that we can earn the right to live forever.

kerwin
    Participant

I was asked for my interpretation of certain scriptures and one of those is from 1 John.  It is important not to take any scripture out of context so the subject being addressed is important.  The subject of 1 John 1:6-10 seems to be about those who sin and claim they are not as declared by the words “If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie”.  The “if” statement in fact tells us the writer is not speaking about everyone but only about those who fit a certain condition.  Then we have verse 7 which is speaking about those who walk in the light as God is in the light.   The question here is does God sin?  How can you walk in the light as God walks in the light if you sin?  The reward for walking in the light as God walks in the light are that your past sins are forgiven.   This is just Ezekiel 18:21-22 states and we know God does not change. Since verse 8 also speaks of sin I would say it is using sin just like verse 7 and so is speaking of the past sins and not the present or future sins of the hearer though both of those are addressed in verse 6. In verse 9 It is again one's past sins he is speaking of since if you are committing a sin or planning to do so and asking God to forgive you then you are using his grace as an excuse to sin.   Instead you should be begging him to stop you from sinning and turning your heart to righteousness.   Verse 10 is a rephrase of verse 8 most likely done to emphasize the writers point.  I want to direct your point of view to the next 2 versus which are in the 2 chapter of 1st John.   Please note that the write states quite clearly “if anyone does sin” which means he believes there are those who do not sin.  His point is obvious in that if you do sin while pursuing the goal of being righteous as God is righteous then do not lie and  say you did not sin but instead confess your sin and get back on the road to righteousness for God is a forgiving God.

As for the Romans 3:23 and Romans 5:12 they are obviously speaking of past sins as it is the past tense form of sin that is written in both verses.

Nothing I have stated is in disagreement with Psalms 51:5 as I admit all have sinned in the past and in fact Psalms 51 voices the desire of a godly man to stop sinning and his begging the God to do so with words such as.

Psalms 51:10(NIV) reads:

10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
          and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

And he paraphrases God’s promise to those who do strive to stop sinning by faith with these words.

Psalms 51:9(NIV) reads:

9 Hide your face from my sins
          and blot out all my iniquity.

The difference is that he was under the law and thus could only eagerly look forward to the time of the new covenant while we have an opportunity to enter the new covenant and so be reborn in spirit and have the power of God working within us to overcome all of our sins.  But for all this to happen we must believe that God can and will do it for us.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,
    The world and it's religion focuses eternally on sin and guilt.
    But God wants us to be different.

The biggest thing is that we have been forgiven who are reborn into Christ.
    there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Jn16
    7Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9Of sin, because they believe not on me;

10Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

11Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

12I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

The biggest deal is our reaction to the gift of His Son.
    Jn3
    16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

Yes we do sin even unknowingly but

Jn13
    10Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.

And God does not study us searching for our failures.
    He loves His sons
    Jas5
    19Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;

20Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

NickHassan
    Participant

HI,
    I believe jn13, the washing of the feet, symbolises the forgiveness of God as in water baptism.
    Having been washed all over we yet inevitably soil our feet walking in the world of sin and evil.
    We need daily forgiveness from God as Jesus spoke of in Mt6

“12And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. “

It is granted daily according to how we grant the same courtesy to others.

Matthew 6:14
    For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

Matthew 6:15
    But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Matthew 18:35
    So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

This too is in Jn13
    14If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.

kerwin
    Participant

Romans 8:1-14(NIV):

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering.  And so he condemned sin in sinful man, in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit. Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.  You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.  Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.

As you can see from this passage those who sin are living by the sinful nature (according to the desires of the flesh) and so are not in Jesus the Messiah who did not sin even though he was tempted even as we are.   In fact those who are in the Lord Jesus will not sin for the Spirit living in them will not sin even unknowingly.  It is God and not yourself doing His works within your body and he will not sin in any way and so neither will you if you truly submit your will to His even as Jesus did.  To receive and live by the Spirit one must follow the true gospel of our Lord Jesus The Messiah.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,
    Rom7
    25I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

kerwin
    Participant

Romans 7:7-19(NIV) reads:

What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “Do not covet.” But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead. 9Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death.  For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death. So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good. Did that which is good, then, become death to me? By no means! But in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it produced death in me through what was good, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.  We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.  For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.  For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.

As you can see it is certainly true as Paul teaches in Romans 7 that under the law we are doomed to be slaves to sin no matter how much we wish otherwise because human effort cannot obtain the true righteousness that God desires from his people but thankfully we have a new way that is by faith in Jesus The Lord of lords.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Kerwin…….1 Jo 1:8-10 John deals with both the present state and the past state.

present state…8..> if was say that we (HAVE) no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is (NOT) in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleans us from all unrighteousness.

Past state..10..> if we say that we (have not) sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Doesn't that pretty much explain it?

love and peace to you and yours…………………………..gene

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Jn13
    14If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.

Do you do this washing of others feet?
    Have you ever done this?

If not are you living in rebellion?

The catholics do this once a year-are they the only ones who are true to the Master's instructions?

If this is a command to be taken as literal then that must be true, but it seems most have decided it is not a literal command to be obeyed and do not do so. I believe if they seek the Father's forgiveness and share it with all other's who touch their path as a daily habit they do fulfill it according to the intention of God. We do have such needs every day.

kerwin
    Participant

Gene Balthrop wrote:

Doesn't that pretty much explain it?

That sure does not explain 1 John 1:8 since the previous verse is either speaking of past sins or just the desire to give in to temptation. I am now in favor of the later since it is more consistent with the similar statement, “purify us from all unrighteousness”, in verse 9. There is no sign that the definition of sin changed from verse 7 to verse 8. In addition your interpretation contradicts with the plain reading of 1 John 2:1 which uses the word “if” followed by the words “anybody does sin” clearly indicating that there are some people who do not sin.

Forgiveness was obtainable under the old covenant so why would there be need for a new covenant after all John the Baptist did immerse people for the forgiveness of their sins. In fact we are told that one that will baptize people with the Holy Spirit and with fire would come after him. I am speaking about the Spirit and it is written in Galatians 5:16 that if you live by the Spirit you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature and that is consistent with the way I interpret 1 John 1:6-2:2.

thetruth
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Jan. 28 2009,07:34)
    Jesus taught in his sermon on the mountain mentioned in Matthew 5 that the individuals who hungered and thirsted for righteousness would be filled.  Since God desires his people are truly righteous as He is righteous it is self evident that the promise God is speaking through Jesus is a promise to obtain a righteousness that is like God’s which is to say one stops sinning.  

Now the question to you is then do you believe God when he tells you that if you believe Jesus is the Promised One you will stop sinning.  If you do believe Jesus is the Promised One then you will believe he is Lord and thus you will obey his commands.  If you obey Jesus’ commands because you believe he is Lord then God will be faithful and do as he promises as long as you persevere in the faith.   That is the new covenant God has made with man and that covenant is sealed with the blood of His Son Jesus Christ.

Aw, once again you try and show your superiority and yet fail. Once again you say something with no Scriptural proof, just the doctrine of Kerwin.  The idea that we will just “poof” stop sinning is a fairy tale my friend. Everyone continues to sin, willfully, by coming to temptation, or unknowingly like speeding. We are human, and therefor have sin in us, do to the fall of man. The reason you go along with your, we can stop sinning as humans, goes with your theory of who Jesus is. You do not even believe Jesus is Lord, just a man. It fits in to your doctrine that since the only way he could be a human and be the Savior is because God made him not sin. Which is true to a point, he was and is without sin, however we are not. Some of the closest people to God sinned. David, a man after God's own heart, Peter denied Christ, and Thomas doubted his resurrection. Then you have Paul and what he says in Romans:

“I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.” – Romans 7:15-20 Wait did I miss something Paul for got to say he sins no longer. Oh that's right that was Kerwin who sins no longer.
    Jesus also gave us a “map” of who we are to pray and in that “map” he says: “Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.' For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.” Matthew 6:12-15 Why do we need delivered from temptation, if we are not going to be able to sin anymore?
    Then we have as you pointed out that Jesus says, “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.” – Matthew 5:6. You missed something there Kerwin my friend. The verse says, “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst…”, not who have received. We are always to grow closer to our Lord, and try to become more like Christ, but we will never achieve that goal. As long as we are in these sinful bodies, we will sin. Its just a fact. That is why we, those of us who are not perfect like you, pray all the time asking God for his forgiveness. Do we strive not to sin? Yes, I would hope. Do we still sin after coming to the Lord? Unfortunately yes we do.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,
    Yes the OT did offer the opportunity for to Jews to obtain forgiveness of sin once a year.
    There are some, the older son in the prodigal parable, whose faith will be honored.
    But that priesthood is now changed that the temple curtain rent.
    This is so we GENTILEs could also be saved.
    God is good.

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 07 2009,03:55)
    Hi KW,
    Yes the OT did offer the opportunity for to Jews to obtain forgiveness of sin once a year.
    There are some, the older son in the prodigal parable, whose faith will be honored.
    But that priesthood is now changed that the temple curtain rent.
    This is so we GENTILEs could also be saved.
    God is good.

Judaism/Christianity has was not changed in this way by the coming of Jesus. The Jews believed that there were righteous Gentiles which they called Bnai Noach or ger toshav even before the coming of Jesus. Of course the Jews believed that the ultimate goal was for Gentiles to convert to Judaism but I do not believe even the Old Testament backs up the later belief.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account