Is baptism needed for salvation?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 4,344 total)
  • Author

Brothers,

There are 3 baptisms, but only one saves us. It is the baptism through the blood of the lamb that cleanses us, that washes away our sins. The second baptism is that of water, which is symbolic of the grave, symbolic of dying to our sinful self and rising new creatures in Christ. The third baptism is the baptism in the Holy Spirit.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (heiscomingintheclouds @ June 04 2006,19:34)
    Brothers,

There are 3 baptisms, but only one saves us. It is the baptism through the blood of the lamb that cleanses us, that washes away our sins. The second baptism is that of water, which is symbolic of the grave, symbolic of dying to our sinful self and rising new creatures in Christ. The third baptism is the baptism in the Holy Spirit.

I agree. Now isn't that simple? Do you have to know that the Holy spirit is not a third person in order to be saved?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Interesting thought.
    It does fit with the true meaning of 1Jn 5.6f
    “This is the one who came by water and the blood, Jesus Christ; not with the water only, but with the water and the blood. It is the Spirit that testifies , because the Spirit is the truth. For there are three that testify, the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement”

So looking at the “sprinkling with blood”
    Ex 24.5f
    “He sent young men of the sons of Israel, and they offered burnt offerings and sacrificed young bulls as peace offerings to the Lord. Moses took half of the blood and put it in basins, and the other half of the blood he sprinkled on the altar. Then he took the book of the covenant and read it in the hearing of the people, and they said:
    'All that the Lord has spoken we will do, and we will be obedient!'
    So Moses took the blood and sprinkled it on the people, and said
    'Behold the blood of the covenant, which the Lord has made with you in accordance with all these words'”

Ex 29.20f
    ” You shall slaughter the ram, and take some of it's blood and put it on the lobe of Aaron's right ear and on the lobes of his son's right ears and on the thumbs of their right hands and on the big toes of their right feet, and sprinkle the rest of the blood on the altar. Then you shall take some of the blood that is on the altar and some of the anointing oil, and sprinkle is on Aaron and his garments and on his sons and his son's garments with him; so that he and his garments shall be consecrated, as well as his sons and his son's garments with him”

Heb 11.23.f
    ” By faith Moses…..kept the Passover and the sprinkling of the blood, so that he who destroyed the firstborn would not touch them..”

Heb 9.12f
    “and not through theblood of goats and calves, but through his own blood. He entered the holy place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption. For if the blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkling those who have been defiled sanctify for the cleansing of the flesh, how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit, oiffered himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God”

Heb 12.24
    “..and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood, which speaks better than the blood of Abel”

1Peter 1.2
    “by the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with his blood”

1Peter 3.21
    “Corresponding to that baptism now saves you-not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience-“

Acts 22.16
    “Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptised, and wash away your sins calling on his name”

So the blood of the sacrifice sanctifies those it sprinkles. Jesus is both the priest of the new covenant and the lamb of the sacifice. Baptism is not just a ceremony but we need to believe in Jesus calling on his name appealing to God for the inner cleansing and forgiveness.

Heb 10.22
    “Let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water..”

But is it not a part of true baptism rather than a separate one?

Dear Nick,

I am not sure I understand your last question? Can you explain?[QUBut is it not a part of true baptism rather than a separate one? OTE]

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi ,
    The action of sprinkling men in the blood is done by the priest-Jesus-in his own. It is never called baptism and it is not something men do but that he does in response to our obedience surely?

When we are born again, Jesus, our high priest, washes away our sins with his blood. This is the baptism that saves us, that transforms us into new creatures in Christ as Nick stated above.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi H,
    You call it baptism. Scripture does not. Whom should we believe?

Scripture does call it baptism.

Ephesians 4:5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism,

1Cor.12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

In the above verse it reveals how all who are born again are baptized into one body. How can this be done if not by the forgiveness of sins.

Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

In this verse it says be baptized, wash away thy sins. Can water wash away our sins. Is this referring to water baptism? Notice the word calling on the name of the Lord. It does not say to be baptized in the name of the Lord. This the baptism unto repentance.

Eph 1:7 say we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of
    sins.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi H,
    There is unity in all things in the body of Christ.

We all enter through the ONE gate being baptised in water into Christ and we share the ONE Spirit of Christ.

The apostles heard the instructions of Jesus and Acts is a history of their obedience to those words. They baptsied and laid on hands according to those instructions. Nothing has changed. There is no valid new instruction that all they did is no longer necessary.

Peter explains in 1 Peter 3.21 that water baptism is the appeal to God for the inner cleansing to be done to prepare our vessel to receive the Spirit of Life unto eternity .

Jefe Gordo
    Participant

Nick,
    I am interested in your take on the thief on the cross. He was assured a place in paradise while nailed to the cross. He likely wasn't taken down and baptized yet he achieved salvation.

This is my first post but I have read through the forums at length. Your posts have been very interesting. Thought I'd let you know.

God bless.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi H,
    Did he?
    He was promised paradise not salvation. The new covenant began with the death of Jesus[see Hebrews]. Jesus was not yet dead so the thief could only qualify under the Old Inheritance.

Nick,
    The bible plainly says one baptism, yet, is what of the baptism of the Holy Spirit at the day of Pentecost? There are 3 baptisms, blood, water and the Holy Ghost. When one is baptized in water, he is baptized in the name of Jesus. When one is baptized in the Holy Spirit, he is baptized in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Yet, there is only one baptism that saves us and that is the baptism through blood.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (heiscomingintheclouds @ June 07 2006,01:06)
    Nick,
    The bible plainly says one baptism, yet, is what of the baptism of the Holy Spirit at the day of Pentecost? There are 3 baptisms, blood, water and the Holy Ghost. When one is baptized in water, he is baptized in the name of Jesus. When one is baptized in the Holy Spirit, he is baptized in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Yet, there is only one baptism that saves us and that is the baptism through blood.

Hi H,
    Look at the context of 1Cor 12.4f
    and you will see that it speaks of the different manifestations of the ONE Spirit that we share. We are indeed all baptised by the One Spirit into unity in that Spirit as we must be born of the Spirit.
    Look at the context of Eph 4.1f and you will see the same thing. It is the unity of the body and the unity of the Spirit that is spoken of not comparing one baptism with another and saying only one is relevant. Note that BAPTISM in these verses is not the baptism of the Spirit spoken of because it mentions Spirit unity as well and does not qualify the word baptism-which according to commonsense means baptism is it's root form-water baptism.
    The apostles baptised in water in the name of Jesus and the verse in Matt 28 19 has some doubts as to authenticity.[see thread on this]

Three Baptisms Nick, pray about it.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi H,
    Have you read the verses above and seen how it applies to unity?
    God does not change His mind. Men do.

jbl
    Participant

Hi,

I know baptism is truly essential, but it raises a problem for myself. I've been brought up in a Jehovah's Witness family, but do not agree with the faith on a few topics (I'm yet to establish some more solid beliefs and still need more study).

I am now without any definate denomination and am curious, well, how can I be baptised when only denominations offer the service? Does it necessarily have to be a religious leader? A friend with a strong faith? With all this in mind I do not want to be baptised “incorrectly”.

Anyway, some feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-jbl

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi jbl,
    Ask your Father in prayer to open the doors for you and to send to someone to help. He helped the eunuch by sending Philip in Acts 8.26 and he sent Paul to Ananais. Seek to be baptised by a baptised believers in the name of Jesus Christ, the only name by which we can be saved. And ask your Father to send you the Spirit.Blessings.

Jefe Gordo
    Participant

Nick,

Thank you for your response earlier. Just to clarify your position. If I am non-trinitarian, believe Jesus the Son of God died for my sins, have repented, had faith, and led an upright life but have not been baptized of water, what happens to me when I die? Earlier in the thread you mentioned that I would be judged by my works at that point. Please clarify. Thank you kindly.

God Bless

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi JG,
    The Way of Jesus, the righteous demands of God are that we are baptised in water in the name of Jesus Christ into the death and resurrection of our Saviour.
    That grafts you into the vine and if you ask for the Spirit of God it will be given you by our Gracious Father to enable you to grow into the character and powers of our God. If you abide in the Word and walk according to the Spirit you will be rapptured or raised into the millenial reign to rule with Christ.
    If you choose not to obey you have the hope of the mercy of God according to the works done towards the followers of Jesus.
    It is easier and safer to obey.

Jefe Gordo
    Participant

Nick,
    Thanks for your quick response. I appreciate it. So, one who has been baptized would be raised up to participate in the millenial rule. One who has not would not be raised until the second resurrection to be judged before the Great White Throne. Do I have that right? If so, is that saying that I could still achieve eternal life if the works in my life are judged to be righteous enough? Does that conflict with Eph 2:8-9?

“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast”

If my friend and I both died believing in Christ, having repented and having faith but neither of us were baptized we would then face judgement. If I had been more active in my righteous deeds would I not have reason to boast and gain acceptance to eternal life? I guess this is my long-winded way of asking if you think it is possible to achieve eternal life by way of judgement following the millenial reign and if you think it is in conflict with Ephesians 8-9.

Also, in an answer to my first post you correctly stated that the thief on the cross was promised a place in paradise, not salvation. What is the difference there? Do think those of us “sprinkled with the blood of Christ” (and for the sake of argument baptized by water as well) who have received “salvation” will experience a different afterlife than, say the thief on the cross who was promised paradise and not salvation. Sorry for the long post. Thank you for your responses.

God Bless

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 4,344 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account