Halloween is coming up

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 1,115 total)
  • Author
    Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (david @ Oct. 16 2009,19:51)

Quote (Not3in1 @ Oct. 16 2009,19:48)

Quote (david @ Oct. 16 2009,19:44)

And Halloween is no different than any other holiday when it comes to causing trouble/drinking/murders.  There are a lot of suicides on Thanksgiving.  Hmmmm.  Maybe we should not celebrate Thanksgiving…..

Agreed.

Wait!  Are you serious?  You don't celebrate Thansgiving either?

Shouldn't we give thanks…..every day?

As you say, picking one day, where you're going to have a high number of suicides for some reason….?  Why do those people have to die?

Is Thanking God every day odd?

So you don't celebrate? Oh that's right….you're Canadian! But that isn't why you don't celebrate? It's a JW thing then? Oh good grief. I would never make it as a JW…..I can't keep up with all the thou shalt not's. I would be a rebel of a JW – they'd kick me out fo sho!

Sweetdreams

david
    Participant

Just did a quick search online. Most popular halloween costumes:

Dracula
    Witch
    Hospital Patient (I'm not sure how this made it into the top 4. I think it's because it's easy to make.)
    Devil

Another search tells me that “witch” or “vampire” are the most popular classics.

Do you not find these odd choices? Why do you think this is?

david
    Participant

So you don't celebrate? Oh that's right….you're Canadian!

Canadians have “thankgiving.” It's on a different day. I have no idea what day that is. I think it was last weekend.

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (Gene @ Oct. 16 2009,12:34)
    WJ and thinker…….If the commandments of God are done away with, why does it Say, “the gentiles who have not the law (BUT) do the things contained in them , Show the LAW Written on their Heart by the Hand of GOD”. This seem to show the commandments are not done away with, but enforced in our thinking by GOD Himself through His Spirit. If we say we LOVE GOD Why not keep HIS WORDS then and not do things contrary to them. His commandments are not difficult are they?  Love GOD and LOVE our fellow MAN. What so hard about that?

gene

Gene,
    The law that was written on the hearts of the gentiles was the moral law and had nothing to do with the Levitical codes. Read Romans 1-2 and show me where it is referring to the Levitical regulations. Come on! If it was the Levitical codes that were written on the hearts of the gentiles and they were obeying it, then you should be able to produce some historical evidence that they regarded certain meats as unclean and that they treated their women as “unclean” during their menstral cycles.

Your statement is a patent misuse of scripture.

thinker

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Oct. 16 2009,12:53)

Quote (Not3in1 @ Oct. 16 2009,10:30)

Quote (942767 @ Oct. 16 2009,10:24)
    Why would God declare some of His creatures unclean for food in the OT and all of a sudden declare them clean in the NT?  Why then bother to declare them unclean at all.

This isn't the only thing God that has changed his mind on, so it doesn't surprise me.

In the OT you couldn't even wear the clothes we have on our backs currently (cotton/poly blends)……  And according to Con, we still shouldn't be wearing them.  Hey Con, what are you wearing right now?   :laugh:

I wonder if he keeps all the commandments, literally?

Oh, I'm getting ornery now….I better go.

Love to you all,
    Mandy

Hi Mandy:

I know that God changed His mind about punishing someone when they repented.  Indeed, because He is merciful.  But  apart from that, “He says I am the LORD I Change not.”

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty,
    You are totally wrong. If God did not change then there would be no new covenant. Read Malachi carefully. It says that God changes not in reference to His promises. If God did not change in the sense you say then the Levitical priesthood would still be in force and animal sacrifices would still be offered.

IF GOD DID NOT CHANGE THEN GENTILES WOULD STILL BE UNCLEAN

thinker

seekingtruth
    Participant

I believe that it is God's character that does not change, it is obvious that God has changed the way He deals with mankind.

My opinion, Wm

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (seekingtruth @ Oct. 16 2009,23:44)
    I believe that it is God's character that does not change, it is obvious that God has changed the way He deals with mankind.

My opinion, Wm

Exactly!
    The fact that there are two covenants is proof. The first has been abolished. Good point Wm.

thinker

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Thinker ………Who is talking about the Levitical codes, I am talking about the (TEN COMMANDMENT) and it does say (the) Laws meaning the commandments are SPIRITUAL. Don't understand why you want to change subject matter. Jesus said to Keep the commandments, if you will enter into life, it him your going against not me. GOD word and work is not against his commandments. The subject Paul is talking have nothing to do with should we keep the commandments it (HOW) WE KEEP THEM> thought the operation of (forced compliance) ie the way law works or through the Working of the SPIRIT . Nothing to do with the commandments being done away with , that is a false assumption on your part. IMO

gene

Hi ALL

Quote (david @ Oct. 16 2009,03:32)
    And have you noticed that Halloween is basically a licence for people to do whatever they feel like doing?  Do you think the police take that night off?  Is the fruitage of this holiday good or bad?  And what does that mean?

And therein lies the difference.

I suppose the Police were sinning for taking part in Halloween?

Because men take a day and make it evil does not mean that I cannot take the same day and make it good.

I do not celebrate the worlds “Halloween”, but I choose to take that day and turn it into a different type of celebration.

The world cannot take claim to “Gods” day, no matter what day that is.

Come on believers; let’s take the “day of the Lord back”. Why hide in a corner while the world goes to hell with their ungodly celebration?

So please someone tell me what is wrong with our family or our church gathering together on Oct 31st, a day that the Lord has made and offer an alternative celebration to the worlds.

Please, some one tell me what is wrong with kids or adults dressing up as Bible Characters and playing games or giving out prizes or candy to kids?

Some one tell me what’s wrong with opening my door and giving innocent children some candy and a Bible tract and possibly be able to witness to them?

Hello church? We are in the world, but do not have to be of it.

I say that Oct 31st is Gods day and I refuse to let the world have it in my life.

How many watch the ungodly football games? Football may have its spiritual roots in the Roman games where the Gladiators fought to the death.

How many see the resemblance there? Some men fight over the games, there is gambling and drunkenness and men worshipping around the TV shouting out praises to this ungodly sport.

I hope you can see what I mean here. But we know that it does not have to be evil or sin for a group of men to gather together to watch the games and have friendly competition don't we?

Are these men sinning because of the Evils that surround these games?

I say no. I say lay aside “dead religion” and the attitudes of self righteousness and start using these things as examples to lead men to Christ!

Paul said…

To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 1 Cor 9:22

“Everything is permissible for me”–but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible for me”–but I will not be mastered by anything“. 1 Cor 6:12

Wasn't it the Apostle Paul that used the worship of an “unknown god” to turn men to Christ, the True God! HeHe!

Didn't Jesus eat and drink with publicans and sinners?

“Religious Men” will always try to bind people with heavy burdens of “thou shalts” and “thou shalt nots”.

In Christ we are free and do not have to be like the world, but we will never effect change if we just refuse to do nothing but preach against it without offering the world examples or alternatives of how we can still be in it and not of it.

You esteem “Oct 31st” as evil and hide out in your house or go on vacation if you like.

But I choose to see it as another opportunity to show the world that “this is the day that the Lord has made and I will rejoice and be glad in it“.

WJ

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (david @ Oct. 16 2009,19:58)

So you don't celebrate?  Oh that's right….you're Canadian!

Canadians have “thankgiving.”  It's on a different day.  I have no idea what day that is.  I think it was last weekend.

David,

So you don't celebrate Thanksgiving then? Why? May I ask?

Love,
    Mandy

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (david @ Oct. 16 2009,19:57)
    Just did a quick search online.  Most popular halloween costumes:

Dracula
    Witch
    Hospital Patient (I'm not sure how this made it into the top 4.  I think it's because it's easy to make.)
    Devil

Another search tells me that “witch” or “vampire” are the most popular classics.

Do you not find these odd choices?  Why do you think this is?

No, I don't find it odd at all. Like I've been saying, the media drives a lot of what we do….including the shampoo we buy, the pop we drink, the cars we own, the clothes we wear….why not the costumes we dress up in for Halloween? Of course, it makes perfect sense. Like I said, the year a Harry Potter movie came out I must have saw a dozen little boys dressed as the main character. No suprises there.

I think what you're trying to do, David, is drive home the whole “wicked” thing surrounding Halloween. You use origins as your foundation for the argument. It is a weak argument. Weak only because there are many origins listed for Halloween – you choose the dark one (ironically enough), I choose the light one.

Also, folks want to clip scriptures that talk about participating with nonbelievers, and participating in wicked things, not pleasing the Lord and so on…..they want to desperately, it seems, apply this to Halloween so that those who enjoy it have to be deemed sinners!!! But why? Why not also apply all those snippets of scripture to other things that perhaps THEY enjoy? Like movies with a little sex slipped in (or lying and grand theft auto)! :;): Certainly even owning a movie that has one of those themes in it would be participating in the dark side and being partakers with nonbelievers.

Everyone better check their DVD libraries and rid it of anything that can be linked to a scripture (things to be avoided). I dare say that you won't have one DVD left! And your TV? Well – toss it. Unless of course you stick to the Discovery channel. Riiiight?

Love,
    Mandy

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Oct. 17 2009,04:32)
    Hi ALL

And have you noticed that Halloween is basically a licence for people to do whatever they feel like doing?  Do you think the police take that night off?  Is the fruitage of this holiday good or bad?  And what does that mean?

Because men take a day and make it evil does not mean that I cannot take the same day and make it good.

I do not celebrate the worlds “Halloween”, but I choose to take that day and turn it into a different type of celebration.

Come on believers; let’s take the “day of the Lord back”. Why hide in a corner while the world goes to hell with their ungodly celebration?

So please someone tell me what is wrong with our family or our church gathering together on Oct 31st, a day that the Lord has made and offer an alternative celebration to the worlds.

Please, some one tell me what is wrong with kids or adults dressing up as Bible Characters and playing games or giving out prizes or candy to kids?

Some one tell me what’s wrong with opening my door and giving innocent children some candy and a Bible tract and possibly be able to witness to them?

Hello church? We are in the world, but do not have to be part of it.

I say that Oct 31st is Gods day and I refuse to let the world have it in my life.

How many watch the ungodly football games? Football may have its spiritual roots in the Roman games where the Gladiators fought to the death.

How many see the resemblance there? Some men fight over the games, there is gambling and drunkenness and men worshipping around the TV shouting out praises to this ungodly sport.

I hope you can see what I mean here. But we know that it does not have to be evil or sin for a group of men to gather together to watch the games and have friendly competition don't we?

I say no. I say lay aside “dead religion” and the attitudes of self righteousness and start using these things as examples to lead men to Christ!

Paul said…

To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 1 Cor 9:22

“Everything is permissible for me”–but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible for me”–but I will not be mastered by anything“. 1 Cor 6:12

Wasn't it the Apostle Paul that used the worship of an “unknown god” to turn men to Christ, the True God! HeHe!

“Religious Men” will always try to bind people with heavy burdens of “thou shalts” and “thou shalt nots”.

In Christ we are free and do not have to be like the world, but we will never effect change if we just refuse to do nothing but preach against it without offering the world examples or alternatives of how we can still be in it and not of it.

You esteem “Oct 31st” as evil and hide out in your house or go on vacation if you like.

But I choose to see it as another opportunity to show the world that “this is the day that the Lord has made and I will rejoice and be glad in it“.

WJ

Preach it, brother!

:D

georg
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Oct. 17 2009,05:05)

Dracula
    Witch
    Hospital Patient (I'm not sure how this made it into the top 4.  I think it's because it's easy to make.)
    Devil

No, I don't find it odd at all.  Like I've been saying, the media drives a lot of what we do….including the shampoo we buy, the pop we drink, the cars we own, the clothes we wear….why not the costumes we dress up in for Halloween?  Of course, it makes perfect sense.  Like I said, the year a Harry Potter movie came out I must have saw a dozen little boys dressed as the main character.  No suprises there.

I think what you're trying to do, David, is drive home the whole “wicked” thing surrounding Halloween.  You use origins as your foundation for the argument.  It is a weak argument.  Weak only because there are many origins listed for Halloween – you choose the dark one (ironically enough), I choose the light one.

Also, folks want to clip scriptures that talk about participating with nonbelievers, and participating in wicked things, not pleasing the Lord and so on…..they want to desperately, it seems, apply this to Halloween so that those who enjoy it have to be deemed sinners!!!  But why?  Why not also apply all those snippets of scripture to other things that perhaps THEY enjoy?  Like movies with a little sex slipped in (or lying and grand theft auto)!   :;):   Certainly even owning a movie that has one of those themes in it would be participating in the dark side and being partakers with nonbelievers.

Everyone better check their DVD libraries and rid it of anything that can be linked to a scripture (things to be avoided).  I dare say that you won't have one DVD left!  And your TV?  Well – toss it.  Unless of course you stick to the Discovery channel.  Riiiight?

Love,
    Mandy

Mandy! If there is another explanation other what David has, then lets see it. I am nothing going to believe anything, unless you can prove it. And if it is the Original that David is saying, I do agree with that. When we lived in our other House inside a Community, when our Children were little, i dressed them up. I remember all the little devils and witches outfits. You just want to make it in to what it is not, to make yourself feel better, and I can understand that part.
    As far as Harry Potter, I dd go and see it either, I wanted no part in it. If they dress according what te media says, that still makes no difference. We know what it is, and you do too.
    Peace And Love Irene

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Interesting that some folks are not just tolerating these pagan feasts but actively promoting them.
    Do you think that Jesus will be doing the same?

georg
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Oct. 17 2009,05:45)
    Hi,
    Interesting that some folks are not just tolerating these pagan feasts but actively promoting them.
    Do you think that Jesus will be doing the same?

No way, Nick,I just went and googled Halloween were it originated,  it is a Pagan Holiday that latter the Catholic Church some what changed to make it look better.  
    :(  :(  :( It is not godly to say the least.
    Huh, that is all I can say.  Irene

Quote (Not3in1 @ Oct. 16 2009,00:21)

Quote (david @ Oct. 16 2009,19:17)

What makes you think that Halloween is a demon holiday?

Oh, I don't know…all the demons running around?

:laugh:
    I don't see any demons running around…..

Here's what I think – I think the early Christians didn't like the Pagan religions (the earth religions) because they wouldn't convert.  So….they made things hard on them.  They gave them the squeeze, if you will.  So now anything that is of Pagan origin is deemed taboo and evil.  That's sort of not fair, really.  There are some Pagan beliefs that have nothing to do with spirituality.

I do not know of any Pagans that deal with spirituality, well clean ones anyway. :cool:

Quote (david @ Oct. 16 2009,00:58)

So you don't celebrate?  Oh that's right….you're Canadian!

Canadians have “thankgiving.”  It's on a different day.  I have no idea what day that is.  I think it was last weekend.

Was that because the Indians forgot to include them on the original guest list with the pilgrims?

Quote (Not3in1 @ Oct. 16 2009,10:05)

Dracula
    Witch
    Devil

No, I don't find it odd at all.  Like I've been saying, the media drives a lot of what we do….including the shampoo we buy, the pop we drink, the cars we own, the clothes we wear….why not the costumes we dress up in for Halloween?  Of course, it makes perfect sense.  Like I said, the year a Harry Potter movie came out I must have saw a dozen little boys dressed as the main character.  No suprises there.

I think what you're trying to do, David, is drive home the whole “wicked” thing surrounding Halloween.  You use origins as your foundation for the argument.  It is a weak argument.  Weak only because there are many origins listed for Halloween – you choose the dark one (ironically enough), I choose the light one.

Also, folks want to clip scriptures that talk about participating with nonbelievers, and participating in wicked things, not pleasing the Lord and so on…..they want to desperately, it seems, apply this to Halloween so that those who enjoy it have to be deemed sinners!!!  But why?  Why not also apply all those snippets of scripture to other things that perhaps THEY enjoy?  Like movies with a little sex slipped in (or lying and grand theft auto)!   :;):   Certainly even owning a movie that has one of those themes in it would be participating in the dark side and being partakers with nonbelievers.

Everyone better check their DVD libraries and rid it of anything that can be linked to a scripture (things to be avoided).  I dare say that you won't have one DVD left!  And your TV?  Well – toss it.  Unless of course you stick to the Discovery channel.  Riiiight?

Love,
    Mandy

It does include all those other things, and my dvd library is up to snuff, thank you.

Quote (Not3in1 @ Oct. 16 2009,10:09)

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Oct. 17 2009,04:32)
    Hi ALL

Paul said…

WJ

Preach it, brother!

:D

Possibly, but if they were any true believers within the group, then they are responsible for aiding and abbetting in a pagan tradition.

Yes you may, but why acknowledge it all? Any participation in it at all gives it life.

Again, it's commendable, but why give it any notice?

Gods day is the Sabbath, and yes man has laid claim to another day, which is a Pagan day of SUN worship “SUNday” thanks to Constantine and his Pagan church.

I don't hide in a corner, as several others in here apparently. I refuse to recognize Holy/Holidays not set forth by my Lord and Master.

Because any celebration still gives creedence to the one your trying to mask (See catholic Church for a prime example), true believers should just do away with the day.

Because it is not really denying the day, is it, painting a rotten fence doesn't make it sturdy.

That is a true statement, so refuse to recognize the day, simple eno
    ugh.

Again the Sabbath is the Lords day.

You may be correct, I am not knowledgable in this area, good thing I am not a sports fan.

Does seem ungodly, does it not? True believers should refrain from it then, I guess.

Maybe, I guess the question is, does it edify the Lord?

Holloween does not edify the Lord.

Maybe, maybe not. I know christians who do no sports.

So is God dead? And is it an attitude of self righteousness or is it an attitude of trying to be righteous? I shall not use halloween to lead anyone, I will let my denial lead.

And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal. Matthew 25:46

Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine; 1Timothy 1:9-10

And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? 1Peter 4:18

If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him. 1John 2:29

Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. 1John 3:7

He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. Revelation 22:11

Paul said…

Did Paul do drugs to help the addicts? Did Paul sleep with hookers to help the harlots? Did Paul become a thief to help robbers? Weak argument. Really.

Yes, but Paul did not worship any of there gods, in fact he showed that the unknown God to them was unknown to them because they worshipped many, so the unknown God to them was in fact the real God. HeHe

How in not recognizing a pagan holiday a burden? Maybe because the heart is not clean and the conscience is not clear?

God set forth the “Thou's”.

You are free to choose whether in christ or not. Failure to participate and make a stand does effect change. Offer Christ crucified, he is the example and the altrnative. You need no other alternative or holiday.

Better than joining in.

Then preach the Sabbath, it's a holiday as well as a Holy day, and it comes every seventh day!

Do I get a “Preach it Brother!?

:cool:

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Constitutionalist @ Oct. 17 2009,06:28)

Quote (Not3in1 @ Oct. 16 2009,00:21)

Quote (david @ Oct. 16 2009,19:17)

What makes you think that Halloween is a demon holiday?

Oh, I don't know…all the demons running around?

:laugh:
    I don't see any demons running around…..

Here's what I think – I think the early Christians didn't like the Pagan religions (the earth religions) because they wouldn't convert.  So….they made things hard on them.  They gave them the squeeze, if you will.  So now anything that is of Pagan origin is deemed taboo and evil.  That's sort of not fair, really.  There are some Pagan beliefs that have nothing to do with spirituality.

I do not know of any Pagans that deal with spirituality, well clean ones anyway. :cool:

Con,

You don't know too many Pagans then! Folks who are into earth-type religions and practices find spirituality in everything. It's almost ridiculous sometimes.

Love,
    Mandy

Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 1,115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account