Forgivness after salvation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Maranatha
    Participant

My pastor says that after we are saved, we should never ask God to forgive us when we sin. He says that we are already forgiven for past, present, and future sins under the blood of Jesus. He says we should acknowledge the sin to God, and then thank Him for Jesus dying for our sins.

Ok, while this does make sense…..to ask forgiveness again would be like telling Jesus that what He did on the cross was not good enough to erase ALL of our sins-only the PAST ones.

So how DO we handle it when we do sin. As an example….suppose I see someone dressed very provocatively, and I think to myself….”They look like a streetwalker!”

I know that I am judging them, and normally I would go to God and ask forgiveness for thinking bad thoughts about the woman dressed like that…..

But if my pastors teaching is correct, then HOW do I address this sin to God, if not to ask His forgiveness for thinking it in the first place?

If I just acknowledged the sin to God, and said…”God-I judged this woman and I should not have done that. I should not have thought bad thoughts about her. THANK YOU Jesus, for dying for that sin for me!” like my pastor says we should do…….

Then wouldn't it be too easy to “trivialize” our sins? I mean, I don't want to just get into thinking that I can sin and not be too concerned about it at all-it seems like it would be very easy to do this!

There is just something so “cleansing” in going to God for forgiveness when I sin. But I sure don't want God to think that what Jesus did was not good enough either.

I just want to know exactly what to SAY to God when I sin.

RokkaMan
    Participant

My approach to repentance is this…

If we can sin continuously through out our lives, it's only right we also ask for forgiveness through it all.

What your pastor says makes sense, but I do not believe it's practical.

Jesus taught repentance for the remission of sins.

In the OT, even repentance didn't grant you a spot with the righteous in heaven, at most…conformt in Abraham's Bosom which was located in hell.

After Jesus died, his blood made a gateway to heaven.

Now are to repent in the blood of Jesus…this is the new covenant.

His blood did suffice as reconciliation for past, present, and future sins…but does that mean you should be as so arrogant to continue in sins even tho you believe in christ???

No

Repentence is when you acknowledge your sins to God, confess them, ask for forgiveness, then try your best to never do it again.

Most sins you can completely give up, others you may never give up…like sins committed in the mind….but God wants us to try…and as long as you try till you die…I believ you're good.

So please continue to repent, and try your best to stop sinning…

We don't go to hell for sinning, we got to hell for not believing in Jesus Christ and being born again. (Under the New Covenant).

Remeber… once you're born again, you are no longer a sinner.
    You are a saint who sometimes sins…but with that you should always repent and try to abstain.

Maranatha
    Participant

Great reply-thanks!

Participant

Hi Maranatha:

You say:

My pastor says that after we are saved, we should never ask God to forgive us when we sin. He says that we are already forgiven for past, present, and future sins under the blood of Jesus. He says we should acknowledge the sin to God, and then thank Him for Jesus dying for our sins.

This is what the scripture states:

1Jo 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

1Jo 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

1Jo 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

1Jo 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

As Christians we are to strive to obey the commandments that have come from God through our Lord. We do not practice sin wilfully, but if we do sin, and we will, we must acknowledge our sins and ask him to forgive us with a repentant heart.

Part of the Lord's prayer is asking Him to forgive us of our sin as we forgive those who have sinned against us.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Not3in1
    Participant

Excellent, Marty!
    Thank you.

I have trouble with the, “We do not practice sin willfully…..” part. :;): Because……sometimes (most of the time) I know full-well what I am doing, yet I do it anyway. Sounds like Paul had the same problem, so I know I'm not alone.

Love,
    Mandy

Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Aug. 16 2009,13:38)
    Excellent, Marty!
    Thank you.

I have trouble with the, “We do not practice sin willfully…..” part.  :;):   Because……sometimes (most of the time) I know full-well what I am doing, yet I do it anyway.  Sounds like Paul had the same problem, so I know I'm not alone.

Love,
    Mandy

Hi Mandy:

The Apostle Paul was speaking from the standpoint of being under the Law. We are not under the Law but under grace, and in the body of Christ, Jesus is our example to live in right standing with God. But when we do fall short, his blood washes away or sins when confess our sins with a repentant heart.

If you know that you are sinning and are doing it any way, then I would say starting today, start resisting the temptation to sin. No, it is not ok to go ahead and do it any way.

All of us have faults that we need to learn to overcome.

Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
    Rom 8:12 ¶ Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
    Rom 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
    Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Mandy……….It Say's if we confess our sins before GOD the FATHER, He is FAITHFUL to forgives Us (AND) to (CLEANS) US from (ALL) unrighteousnesses. It's all a work of GOD in our Hearts and Minds by the effectual working of (HIS) GRACE. Don't get discouraged Sis Sin will (NOT) be our Master because greater is HE that is in us then he Who is in the world. IMO

peace and love to you and yours…………………….gene

Maranatha
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Aug. 16 2009,13:19)
    Hi Maranatha:

You say:

My pastor says that after we are saved, we should never ask God to forgive us when we sin.   He says that we are already forgiven for past, present, and future sins under the blood of Jesus.  He says we should acknowledge the sin to God, and then thank Him for Jesus dying for our sins.

This is what the scripture states:

1Jo 1:6   If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:  

1Jo 1:7   But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.  

1Jo 1:8   If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.  

1Jo 1:9   If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

As Christians we are to strive to obey the commandments that have come from God through our Lord.  We do not practice sin wilfully, but if we do sin, and we will, we must acknowledge our sins and ask him to forgive us with a repentant heart.

Part of the Lord's prayer is asking Him to forgive us of our sin as we forgive those who have sinned against us.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Yes, I brought that up to him too. He said that those verses are talking about our INITIAL sins, before we asked Jesus into our hearts. Yes, we repent of those sins and ask forgiveness, and Jesus cleanses us.

My pastor is saying that AFTER we are saved, we are to simply take those sins to God and acknowledge them, and REPENT, but that we don't have to ask forgiveness, because those sins have already been forgiven when we asked Jesus into our hearts the FIRST time.

I'm the only one who was struggling with this. lol One strong Christian lady said that she was upset with his teaching, and she went home and opened up every concordance, commentary, and every other study aide she had, and went all through the Bible trying to find someone who asked forgiveness AFTER they were saved, and she couldn't find one.

I'm still asking forgiveness myself, but part of me is thinking…..”Jesus DID forgive my future sins, as well as my past sins….” so I'm still confused.

No, my pastor was most certainly not saying that we have no sin-he is saying that our sins have already been forgiven-past, present, and future ones. God knows when we are going to sin, but He has already forgiven that when we ask Him into our hearts-my pastor said to say something like….

“Father, I have sinned, and I acknowledge my sin to you, but I am so grateful to Jesus for dying for this sin!” or something like that.

He was saying that if we ask Jesus to keep forgiving us over and over, whenever we sin, it is like telling him that Him dying on the cross was NOT good enough to cleanse us of our FUTURE sins, only the ones that we had before we asked Him into our hearts.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Maranatha…………Being forgiven of our sins is one thing , being cleanses from them is quite another. Jesus' death on the cross gave us our forgiveness, now we must be cleanses from them, that is a life long process, it's not just and instant thing, but requires washing by the word of GOD. And continual confessing them to GOD the FATHER, as they become apparent in our lives. There is more to this perfecting then meets the eye, there is disciplines and scourging involved. IMO

peace and love to you and yours…………………gene

Participant

Hi Maranantha:

You say:

I'm still asking forgiveness myself, but part of me is thinking…..”Jesus DID forgive my future sins, as well as my past sins….” so I'm still confused.

You are confused because what your pastor is teaching regarding this is false.  I did not want to be blunt about it, but the scripture that I quoted for you in 1st John is speaking of our relationship with God and with His Son after we are Christians, and not about when we were born again.

Of course, the blood that Jesus shed is for our past sins, as well as for any sins we may committ as Christians, but we need to repent when we make a mistake and ask God to forgive us. Why would any one say that if we ask him to forgive us that would imply that we do not think that his dying for our sins wasn't sufficient.  We don't have to keep asking for forgiveness for the same sin over and over again, but as we sin, and know it, we acknowlege the sin with a repentant heart and ask forgiveness.  This is what is meant by grace.

Maybe the following scriptures will help:

Hbr 4:14 ¶ Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast [our] profession.  

Hbr 4:15   For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as [we are, yet] without sin.  

Hbr 4:16   Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Mar 11:25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account