Do spirits have bodies?

Viewing 20 posts - 2,801 through 2,820 (of 5,412 total)
  • Author
    Istari
    Participant

Like I said – we have consensus – we all agree – Spirits do not have bodies.
    For humans they are what animates the body and causes thought and purpose for that body.

In Heaven, Spirits are immaterial bodiless intelligence and the channels for the power of the invisible immaterial bodiless God to work both in the invisible immaterial heaven and in the visible material world.

Istari
    Participant

Jesus acquires a body of permanent features when he comes into the material world.
    In heaven he is Spirit with the power of God Almighty loaned to him.

No other Spirit creature has a permanent featured body in the material world.
    When Angels come into the material world they MAY acquire bodies of temporary non-DESCRIPT flesh but more often just appear in shimmering form of a Man in White Apparel which is produced by their power.
    The Mankind will also acquire permanent bodies – Spiritual Bodies – recognisable Spiritual bodies when they too are raised from the dead.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (Istari @ May 28 2011,14:43)
    Like I said – we have consensus – we all agree – Spirits do not have bodies.

And like I said:  All except for Jesus, right?  :)

Jesus acquires a body of permanent features when he comes into the material world.
    In heaven he is Spirit with the power of God Almighty loaned to him.

No other Spirit creature has a permanent featured body in the material world.
    When Angels come into the material world they MAY acquire bodies of temporary non-DESCRIPT flesh but more often just appear in shimmering form of a Man in White Apparel which is produced by their power.
    The Mankind will also acquire permanent bodies – Spiritual Bodies – recognisable Spiritual bodies when they too are raised from the dead.

Oh brother!  :)  You really do just make this stuff up as you go along, don't you?

Show me where Paul referred to wanting a new glorious body like the one Jesus has “WHEN HE VISITS EARTH”.

Istari
    Participant

Er, Mike, are you making stuff up here?

Where did I say that Paul would have a body like Jesus?

Paul's body will be a glorified version of what he had when he died.
    Just as Jesus' body is the SAME but Glorified as he had on Earth – Jesus Showed it to his Disciples and 40,000 others before be ASCENDED to Heaven in SPIRIT (Not Body only – why is that, Mike?)

And, How did Scriptures say that he will Return?
    And Jesus is the TEMPLATE for all who are saved as Elect out of the world!

mikeboll64
    Blocked

20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

Can you read, Istari?  Paul is speaking to those he feels will be resurrected to HEAVEN, not to EARTH.  And he hopes that as a citizen of HEAVEN, he will have a body like Jesus' new glorious body.

Do you see that Paul is not intending to be a citizen of EARTH after he dies………….but of HEAVEN.

And the scriptures say Jesus will return the same way they saw him leave……………THROUGH THE CLOUDS – not “as a flesh and blood man”.

Istari, you and Shimmer used to claim that Jesus, as a new creation, is the only spirit in heaven with a body.  Why do you now claim that Jesus' new body is hung up in a closet or whatever, where he comes to put it on only when he visits earth?

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ May 30 2011,11:21)
    20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

Can you read, Istari?  Paul is speaking to those he feels will be resurrected to HEAVEN, not to EARTH.  And he hopes that as a citizen of HEAVEN, he will have a body like Jesus' new glorious body.

Do you see that Paul is not intending to be a citizen of EARTH after he dies………….but of HEAVEN.

And the scriptures say Jesus will return the same way they saw him leave……………THROUGH THE CLOUDS – not “as a flesh and blood man”.

Istari, you and Shimmer used to claim that Jesus, as a new creation, is the only spirit in heaven with a body.  Why do you now claim that Jesus' new body is hung up in a closet or whatever, where he comes to put it on only when he visits earth?

All

is it true that anyone who's believe in Christ will go to heaven?

is this what scriptures are saying,?

think again;revelation says only 144k are resurrected to be with Christ and like Christ,

but many are called for the earth living in the spirit of Christ,
    this mean to fully subdue to Gods will,with there spirit and heart.

144k are the first fruits and the ones for the earth are the second fruits.

the first pen is for Christ as brothers the second pen is for the earth.

there is a heavenly call and there is a call not for heaven.

if you looking for truth that is Gods truth not yours.you will be informed trough the spirit of truth.

Pierre

Istari
    Participant

Mike,

It seems that you are continually making up things and then claiming them as offerings from others.

Neither Shimmer nor I has said that Jesus has a body in Heaven. You are just saying that to try to cause ridicule. I have repeatedly stated that the body is materialised when the Spirit comes into the physical world – either you have a comprehension problem or you are deliberately misrepresenting me and Shimmer.

Surely you cannot have read the many many lines of posts that I have written on Dimensuons and Materialisation and DeMaterialisation and flesh and blood/bone cannot occupy heaven – I stated categorically that no MATERIAL MATTER can occupy the 5th and higher dimensions. Yet you continually write that I say that.

Why, Mike, why! Are you hoping I will say something so you can tile me?

And I even answered you concerning the BODY of Paul whom you tried to say that I said would look like Jesus' when you know full well is not the case but the same in being GLORIOUS and SPIRITUAL.

The Elect will certainly have their abode in Heaven – but, just like Jesus, will be able to come down into the physical world – if even Angels can do so how much more they that will be (are) greater than Angels!

In actual fact, Mike, your struggle with trying to prove Spirits have Bodies is causing you to delve into sinful ways through your frustration in finding anything of credence – you have swung from one false 'proof' right down to Spirits MUST HAVE some kind of 'Bounding Skin'…imagining that God is sitting in ONE PLACE IN A THRONE IN HEAVEN…. in a body… Which even YOU do not say that GOD HAS A BODY – yet how is He sitting in a Chair…

In any case, I thought you said you given up on this thread (How many times?)

Mike, IS IT THAT IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO BE PROVED WRONG SO MANY TIMES.
    is it SO IMPORTANT for you to TRY TO BE RIGHT.
    is it IMPOSSIBLE FOR YOU TO BE WRONG – and admit it – or even just leave alone (if you want to seem to save face!)

What does SPIRIT mean?
    Why is a thing called SPIRIT?
    Give me a few examples of a SPIRIT and what BODY they have?

Thanks.

Istari
    Participant

Mike,

You – even you, gave an example of the HOLY SPIRIT that came in BODILY FORM down onto Jesus.

If the Holy Spirit ALWAYS HAD a BODY why would it particularly worthy to say say so.
    Do you say 'I went in bodily form to my workplace'
    If I influence a large number of people to do something do I not say 'My HAND a far reach!' but was it my physical Hand – or was it by my word emanating by my Spirit influencing the spirit of the receiver. Did I move out of my seat to do it – but speak only and the word was heard – EVERYWHERE all at the same time that there was an ear to hear it – but, If I wanted to address one specific person then I would GO in person (in bodily form) to that one person but physically it would take time – by the Spirit in heaven it would take no time at all.
    Mike, if you knew about physics you would also know that this is true – Science is to SUPPORT Scriptures – not make itself it's own God!
    Even ling distance travel – Mike, Go straight UP…. then move a small distance in a direction then COME DOWN again – and you will be thousands of miles away – faster than a linear journey over the face of the earth – why do you think a flight in an aircraft is faster than an equivalent road journey.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Istari,

Like I said, “Can you read?”

Paul speaks of having residence IN HEAVEN.  It is not said or even implied that he will “visit earth on occasion, and so needs a 'standby' body available for these visits”.

He hopes to take up residence IN HEAVEN with the kind of glorious body Jesus NOW HAS.

And yes, you and Shimmer have BOTH said that Jesus is the only one in heaven with a body, because he is a “new creation”.  I'll look back and find it.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Mike ………..All thing that have life (IN) them exist with Bodies except GOD, because all creation is what he LIVES (IN). Jesus said GOD is (A) SPIRIT. The word (A) TYPES the Spirit Jesus mentioned. God is a PARTICULAR TYPE of SPIRIT and He or IT contains SEVEN Specific (TYPES) of Spirits as mentioned in Revelations and Jesus Has these In Him and they all compose one GOD that is in all creation. God lives vicariously (IN) his creation, and he was truly (IN) Jesus fully (IN) him. Thomas was Right when he said “MY Lord AND MY GOD”. What part of this you don't understand OR believe, “THE SON OF MAN CAN DO NOTHING OF HIMSELF, THE FATHER WHO IS IN ME (HE) DOTH THE WORKS”, you don't seem to see that God was truly (IN) Jesus and spoke to him and through Him first person. IMO

peace and love…………………………….gene

Istari
    Participant

Mike,

Please can you post a Thesaurus definition of 'Body'.

Mine says :'Body – as distinct from Spirit'…

'nuff said!

Istari
    Participant

Mike, in fact being in HEAVEN has nothing to do with having a body…
    This has come about because of all the meandering and re-interpretation and mid-interpretation by you and your crew!

What on earth(!) are you believing that transforming the Body into a glorious Body like Christ means?

The SPIRIT has no NEED of the Body, so why would Jesus transform the physical bodies of the elect into Spirit Bodies when a BODY cannot enter Heaven…

When was Jesus' Body transformed to a Glorious Body? Was it not when he was raised from the dead?
    Was Jesus a Spirit when he was raised from the dead?
    Was Jesus a MAN when he was raised from the dead INTO the Spiritual Body?
    Was the SPIRITIAL BODY shown to the Disciples – THOMAS, the others and 40,000 others.
    Did Jesus eat broiled Fish in the room and fried on the beach in his Spiritual Body?

What need does a 'Spirit Body' have for Food?

Mike, you have created a new phrase (Spirit Body) but can't define it?

Mike, what is this SPIRIT BODY and how is it different or similar to or Same as 'Spiritual Body'…

And why have you created the new word to force your case…?
    Even call it 'The Glorious Body' even better – it is a Physical Body still!!

Jesus walked in his physical body, talked in his glorious body, eat to maintain his Spiritual Body, was touched and poked in his physical body with the holes from his crucifixion – was Jesus lying then?

'See, I am not a Spirit for I have flesh and bone'.

Why did the disciples not recognise him?
    Jesus was in a Glorious INCORRUPTIBLE SPIRITUAL Body – different from the CORRUPTIBLE NATURAL BODY

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ June 02 2011,09:34)
    What part of this you don't understand OR believe, “THE SON OF MAN CAN DO NOTHING OF HIMSELF, THE FATHER WHO IS IN ME (HE) DOTH THE WORKS”, you don't seem to see that God was truly (IN) Jesus and spoke to him and through Him first person.

Gene,

I don't share your view that the Father, who Jesus always refers to as being “in heaven”, literally and physically dwelled inside of Jesus or anyone else.

I know you think this because you have no other way to explain John 20:28. I don't share that same problem with you, and am therefore not forced to imagine that the Creator of the universe lives physically inside any human being.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (Istari @ June 02 2011,12:07)
    The SPIRIT has no NEED of the Body, so why would Jesus transform the physical bodies of the elect into Spirit Bodies when a BODY cannot enter Heaven…

You tell me. It is YOU who makes this claim, so it is YOU who needs to explain how Paul, knowing his citizenship was to be of heaven, was anxious to receive a new glorious body like the one Jesus now has.

Can you do that? Or does your own opinion get in the way of what the passage clearly says?

Istari
    Participant

Mike,

I have explained and explained – it is your way of saying 'Ok, I have lost but cannot admit it'

In fact, nothing of what you say makes sense.

You know and admit that a body cannot exist in heaven.
    Yet you try to say that it is so – that a Spirit HAS A BODY – even hands, feet, eyes, wings, carry swords and there are chariots and horses in heaven? Oh and that there are tables, chairs and a little personal desk light for God to see by when it gets dark!

Can you see how ridiculous you sound?

Spirit needs no boundaries – because Spirits are BOUNDLESS – that is what the word 'Spirit' means!

I asked you to define 'Body' but I see that you cannot!!
    Why, Mike, why? Is it because it would defeat your aimless machinations of a bounded boundless in invisible immaterial entity?

Here is a definition from my 'Readers Digest Universal Dictionary':
    'BODY:
    A) The entire material structure and substance of an organism, especially of a human being or an animal.
    B) A corpse or Carcass

Any bounded mass of matter: a body of water.
    Any perceptible three-dimensional piece of matter: heavenly bodies (Stars, Moon, Sun)
    Consistency of a substance: Paint, Wine, Sauce.

Mike, what does your Dictionary say that a Body is?
    Even this Dictionary says that a body exists in THREE DIMENSIONS… See, and Jesus also says that a body cannot exist in heaven – which is a HIGHER DIMENSION…

Mike, can you REALLY NOT UNDERSTAND what DIMENSIONS are?
    This is your failing here … So sad!

Istari
    Participant

Mike,
    Now we know what BODY is – what then do you make of 'BODY: As opposed to Spirit'?
    If a Body is that which is bounded in three dimensions and is composed of material matter – then what is Spirit?
    Mike, give me definition of SPIRIT and BODY…

Istari
    Participant

Mike,
    I don't get you at all.
    Why are you so stubborn over understanding such a simple thing?

You are playing a silly game with yourself trying to oppose me (and yet NOT ME – but Truth) just for the sake of it.

The more you rant on in this silly dispute of deliberate misrepresentation the more you devise divisive fallacies… Be careful!!!

Spirits are not Material matter that require bounding – your concept is defeated by truth which you lack for truth shows how Spirits come and go from the material world at will.
    Bounded bodies cannot do so – yet you could not possibly, nay, never try to explain (For you could not!! Dare not try!!! Hence you say : 'Only from Scriptures' yet even denying the Scriptures that says 'Flesh and Blood/Bone cannot inherit the kingdom of heaven!')

You claim that 'Heavenly Bodies' are 'Angels' – Mike – DON'T BE STUPID!!
    You claim that 'Spiritual Bodies' are what Angels dwell in yet also say that Jesus is the FIRST WITH A SPIRITUAL BODY.
    You claim that other MEN are already in heaven with such SPIRITUAL BODIES yet there is not One SINGLE Scripture to support such nonsense – else JESUS IS NOT PRE-EMINENT!!

Mike, have you taken some 'Untruth and IN DENIAL' drug like Kathi?

Istari
    Participant

Spirit (Spir”it) (?), n.
    [OF. espirit, esperit, F. esprit, L. spiritus, from spirare to breathe, to blow. Cf. Conspire, Expire, Esprit, Sprite.]

1. Air set in motion by breathing; breath; hence, sometimes, life itself. [Obs.] “All of spirit would deprive.” Spenser. “The mild air, with season moderate, Gently attempered, and disposed eo well, That still it breathed foorth sweet spirit.” Spenser.
    2. A rough breathing; an aspirate, as the letter h; also, a mark to denote aspiration; a breathing. [Obs.] “Be it a letter or spirit, we have great use for it.” B. Jonson.
    3. Life, or living substance, considered independently of corporeal existence; an intelligence conceived of apart from any physical organization or embodiment; vital essence, force, or energy, as distinct from matter.
    4. The intelligent, immaterial and immortal part of man; the soul, in distinction from the body in which it resides; the agent or subject of vital and spiritual functions, whether spiritual or material. “There is a spirit in man; and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.” Job xxxii. 8. “As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.” James ii. 26. “Spirit is a substance wherein thinking, knowing, doubting, and a power of moving, do subsist.” Locke.
    5. Specifically, a disembodied soul; the human soul after it has left the body. “Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was, and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.” Eccl. xii. 7. “Ye gentle spirits far away, With whom we shared the cup of grace.” Keble.
    6. Any supernatural being, good or bad; an apparition; a specter; a ghost; also, sometimes, a sprite,; a fairy; an elf. “Whilst young, preserve his tender mind from all impressions of spirits and goblins in the dark.” Locke.
    7. Energy, vivacity, ardor, enthusiasm, courage, etc. “”Write it then, quickly,” replied Bede; and summoning all his spirits together, like the last blaze of a candle going out, he indited it, and expired.” Fuller.
    8. One who is vivacious or lively; one who evinces great activity or peculiar characteristics of mind or temper; as, a ruling spirit; a schismatic spirit. “Such spirits as he desired to please, such would I choose for my judges.” Dryden.
    9. Temper or disposition of mind; mental condition or disposition; intellectual or moral state; — often in the plural; as, to be cheerful, or in good spirits; to be downhearted, or in bad spirits. “God has . . . made a spirit of building succeed a spirit of pulling down.” South. “A perfect judge will read each work of wit With the same spirit that its author writ.” Pope.
    10. Intent; real meaning; — opposed to the letter, or to formal statement; also, characteristic quality, especially such as is derived from the individual genius or the personal character; as, the spirit of an enterprise, of a document, or the like.
    11. Tenuous, volatile, airy, or vapory substance, possessed of active qualities. “All bodies have spirits . . . within them.” Bacon.
    12. Any liquid produced by distillation; especially, alcohol, the spirits, or spirit, of wine (it having been first distilled from wine): — often in the plural.
    13. pl. Rum, whisky, brandy, gin, and other distilled liquors having much alcohol, in distinction from wine and malt liquors.
    14. (Med.) A solution in alcohol of a volatile principle. Cf. Tincture. U. S. Disp.
    15. (Alchemy) Any one of the four substances, sulphur, sal ammoniac, quicksilver, or arsenic (or, according to some, orpiment). “The four spirits and the bodies seven.” Chaucer.
    16. (Dyeing) Stannic chloride. See under Stannic.
    ^ Spirit is sometimes joined with other words, forming compounds, generally of obvious signification; as, spirit-moving, spirit-searching, spirit-stirring, etc.

— Astral spirits, Familiar spirits, etc. See under Astral, Familiar, etc.
    — Animal spirits. (a) (Physiol.) The fluid which at one time was supposed to circulate through the nerves and was regarded as the agent of sensation and motion; — called also the nervous fluid, or nervous principle. (b) Physical health and energy; frolicsomeness; sportiveness.
    — Ardent spirits, strong alcoholic liquors, as brandy, rum, whisky, etc., obtained by distillation.
    — Holy Spirit, or The Spirit (Theol.), the Spirit of God, or the third person of the Trinity; the Holy Ghost. The spirit also signifies the human spirit as influenced or animated by the Divine Spirit.
    — Proof spirit. (Chem.) See under Proof.
    — Rectified spirit (Chem.), spirit rendered purer or more concentrated by redistillation, so as to increase the percentage of absolute alcohol.
    — Spirit butterfly (Zoöl.), any one of numerous species of delicate butterflies of tropical America belonging to the genus Ithomia. The wings are gauzy and nearly destitute of scales.
    — Spirit duck. (Zoöl.) (a) The buffle-headed duck. (b) The golden-eye.
    — Spirit lamp (Art), a lamp in which alcohol or methylated spirit is burned.
    — Spirit level. See under Level.
    — Spirit of hartshorn. (Old Chem.) See under Hartshorn.
    — Spirit of Mindererus (Med.), an aqueous solution of acetate of ammonium; — named after R. Minderer, physician of Augsburg.
    — Spirit of nitrous ether (Med. Chem.), a pale yellow liquid, of a sweetish taste and a pleasant ethereal odor. It is obtained by the distillatin of alcohol with nitric and sulphuric acids, and consists essentially of ethyl nitrite with a little acetic aldehyde. It is used a diaphoretic, diuretic, antispasmodic, etc. Called also sweet spirit of niter.
    — Spirit of salt (Chem.), hydrochloric acid; — so called because obtained from salt and sulphuric acid. [Obs.]
    — Spirit of sense, the utmost refinement of sensation. [Obs.] Shak.
    — Spirits, or Spirit, of turpentine (Chem.), rectified oil of turpentine, a transparent, colorless, volatile, and very inflammable liquid, distilled from the turpentine of the various species of pine; camphine. See Camphine.
    — Spirit of vitriol (Chem.), sulphuric acid; — so called because formerly obtained by the distillation of green vitriol. [Obs.]
    — Spirit of vitriolic ether (Chem.) ether; — often but incorrectly called sulphuric ether. See Ether. [Obs.]
    — Spirits, or Spirit, of wine (Chem.), alcohol; — so called because formerly obtained by the distillation of wine.
    — Sweet spirit of niter. See Spirit of nitrous ether, above.

Synonyms — Life; ardor; energy; fire; courage; animatioon; cheerfulness; vivacity; enterprise.
    Spirit (Spir”it) (?), v. t.
    [imp. & p. p. Spirited; p. pr. & vb. n. Spiriting.]

1. To animate with vigor; to excite; to encourage; to inspirit; as, civil dissensions often spirit the ambition of private men; — sometimes followed by up. “Many officers and private men spirit up and assist those obstinate people to continue in their rebellion.” Swift.
    2. To convey rapidly and secretly, or mysteriously, as if by the agency of a spirit; to kidnap; — often with away, or off. “The ministry had him spirited away, and carried abroad as a dangerous person.” Arbuthnot & Pope. “I felt as if I had been spirited into some castle of antiquity.” Willis.

— Spiriting away (Law), causing to leave; the offense of inducing a witness to leave a jurisdiction so as to evade process requiring attendance at trial.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Istari,

What I'm asking you is really simple, and doesn't require all this thrashing you're doing.

If Paul KNEW his residence was to be in heaven, then why was he anxious to get a new glorious body like the one Jesus now has?

It's a simple question, a simple point, and should be easily answered.  The problem is that your OPINIONS about the bodies of spirit beings are keeping you from accepting the simple truth of the passage -just like they have kept you from accepting the many other scriptural things I've shown you throughout the course of this thread.

Fortunately for me, it is YOUR problem, and not mine.  When YOU sort out YOUR contradictions with the words of scripture, let me know, okay?

Istari
    Participant

The Spiritual Body
    By David Pyles

It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. – 1Cor 15:44

Unfortunately, there are some who misuse this scripture in argument against a bodily resurrection, and some will say that, even if there is a bodily resurrection, this scripture does not refer to it. These will claim that spiritual body means the soul or spirit and that it does not refer to the material body. Such a conclusion is at variance with the entire tenor of the Bible and with the very context in which this scripture is found. Observe that:

1) While it is a spiritual body, it is nonetheless a body. Hence, the scripture does not deny the resurrection of the body; rather, it affirms the resurrection of the body in a modified form.

2) The resurrected body is a modified form of the body that was sown or buried (vss 37 & 55), but the spiritual man is not sown. When man dies, Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it, (Eccl 12:7). Accordingly, Isaiah said it was that which dwells in the dust that shall rise in the resurrection: Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead, (Isa 26:19).

3) It is in error to assume that spiritual can only imply “immaterial.” This can be seen from:

Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; And did all eat the same spiritual meat; And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ. – 1Cor 10:1-4

Here it is understood that in spiritual rock and spiritual drink there is an intended modification of the idea of the material rock and material drink, but it is not the intent to eliminate the material character of either the rock or drink.

The same idea can be seen in Paul's own explanation of the spiritual body:

And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven. As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. – 1Cor 15:45-49

Hence, the second Adam, who is the returning Christ, or the Lord from Heaven, who will quicken the dead at His appearing, is called a quickening spirit, yet in referring to Him as a spirit, Paul does not imply that He is without a material body. Instead, the obvious intent is to explain His meaning of spiritual body by illustrating it with the resurrected body of Christ. This is an expected explanation to anyone believing in a bodily resurrection because:

4) The resurrected body of Christ is the prototype for all of those who will resurrected in Him. This is implied in the context, because Paul said, And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. That is, whereas the first Adam was the prototype of the present body, the Second Adam is the prototype of the spiritual body. This principle is very clearly taught elsewhere in the Bible (vss 12-17; Rom 8:29; Philip 3:21; 1Jn 3:2). But there is no doubt that Christ was raised in a material body of flesh and bones (Lk 24:39-43).

5) The resurrected body is a modified form of the body that dies, and it must die before it can be resurrected, because Paul says, Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die, (vs 36). This cannot refer to the spiritual man, because the spiritual man does not die. Accordingly, the body that is raised to immortality and incorruption is a modification of the body that had been sown in mortality and corruption (vss 42 & 53).

6) In the preceding verses, Paul considers various kinds of bodies and flesh. The comparisons and contrasts made here clarify his meaning when he later speaks of a spiritual body. He says,

Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die: And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain: But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body. All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds. There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. – 1Cor 15:36-41

As Paul considers the diversity in various forms of bodies and flesh, he never considers anything other than material entities. This shows that a material entity is under consideration when he later speaks of a spiritual body.

7) From the previous quote it can be seen that the spiritual body is “given” (i.e. God giveth it a body…) in the resurrection itself, so to affirm that spiritual body simply means the soul or spirit is to affirm that one does not have soul or spirit until the resurrection, or that the soul or spirit are modified in the resurrection. The scriptures will support neither idea. The obvious meaning is that God will give a modified material body in the resurrection.

8) The bodies of the resurrected will surely be identical in composition to the glorified bodies of those who will be yet alive when Christ returns, but it is obviously true that the latter will possess a modified form of the present body. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed … For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put immortality, (vss 51-53). Thus, the bodies of those who are alive when Christ returns are not done away, but are changed from corruptible to incorruptible and from mortal to immortality.

9) The denial of a bodily resurrection places one at odds with plain teachings of Paul elsewhere in the Bible. For example, consider:

And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. – Rom 8:10,11

This scripture plainly distinguishes the spiritual and fleshly being of man, and it clearly applies the resurrection to the latter.

10) The denial of a bodily resurrection places one at odds with the plain teachings of other scriptural writers. These include:

For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me. – Job 19:25-27

Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead. – Isa 26:19

And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. – Dan 12:2

When Paul speaks of a spiritual body, he means a material yet incorruptible and immortal body adapted to the heavenly clime, and this is in contrast to the natural body, which refers to the corruptible and mortal body that is adapted to the earthly clime.

Viewing 20 posts - 2,801 through 2,820 (of 5,412 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account