Commandments in the NT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    kenrch
    Participant

Quote (charity @ Sep. 21 2007,12:57)
    1Ti 1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,  

Neh 10:29  They clave to their brethren, their nobles, and entered into a curse, and into an oath, to walk in God's law, which was given by Moses the servant of God, and to observe and do all the commandments of the LORD our Lord, and his judgments and his statutes;

Observe that which the scribs report, but dont do after there ways…commandment…Many hidden commandments, for the rightous to follow, when the the Man of lawlessness is removed, and the son of man can come of the clouds.

Neh 13:25  And I contended with them, and cursed them, and smote certain of them, and plucked off their hair, and made them swear by God, [saying], Ye shall not give your daughters unto their sons, nor take their daughters unto your sons, or for yourselves.
    Neh 13:31  And for the wood offering, at times appointed, and for the firstfruits. Remember me, O my God, for good.

We ALL sin and fall short of the glory of God.

Sin is trangression of the law.

He who has no sin throw the first stone.

1Jo 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. :)

ALivingStone
    Participant

Hi kj,
    I don't have the realms of scripture to quote to you but I believe it has a lot to do with our conscience. Which is of course is totally laid bare before God who look's on the heart and whose eyes never close.
    If every one of us have not broken the big two commandments every day I'll be surprised. We might intend to ,but the flesh is always raising up and seizing control thefore our righteousness is not according to any set of commandments but For God to be God none of his words or commandments my return to him void. he cant repent or change his mind . the must all must still be valid or God would have to eat his words right? did God make a mistake with the ten commandments?
    34I tell you the truth, this generation[a] will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 35Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
    The ark has been taken a way the tablets are no longer with us. He has written his law on our hearts.
    The heart = our conscience.
    If we sin against what we are fully conviced in our own minds as wrong then we are lawbreakers and will be of those told to depart as evil doers.
    When we are born again and given the spirit which is the light(conscience) in our previously darkened hearts.

michaels
    Participant

abram had the 10 commandments and kept them, these were not given thru moses but directly out of the mouth of God !!! jesus said this would not change one jot or tittle, of corse not ,for God does not change! the 10 are also the 2. one in the same, this is the path of rightness with God. yet many still follow moses. hmmm

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (kenrch @ Sep. 20 2007,19:44)

Quote (kejonn @ Sep. 21 2007,12:24)

Quote (kenrch @ Sep. 20 2007,19:00)

Quote (kejonn @ Sep. 21 2007,02:57)
    People often assume that when they see the word “commandments” in the New Testament, that it means the 10 commandments. But how certain can we be on this?

What about this when God spoke to Isaac:

Gen 26:4 “I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven, and will give your descendants all these lands; and by your descendants all the nations of the earth shall be blessed;
    Gen 26:5 because Abraham obeyed Me and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes and My laws.

What exactly were these things that God spoke of in Gen 26:5? There was no 10 Commandments at this time. So what commandments was God talking about here?

I thought that the Israelites lost the law when in bondage to the Egyptians.

The scripture doesn't say “10” commandmenents but it does say Commandments, and law and statues.

Moses brought the Law back from Abraham to the Israelites.

NO?

So are you saying that the 10 Commandments in Ex 20 were just a restating of commandments given to Abraham? Where do you get the concept that Moses was bring back the Law?

I really don't know but what other commandments and laws and statues were there? The Israelites lost their law and picked up on the Egyptian gods. Thus the golden calf.

From the time of Adam they were giving offerings for their sins.

Gen 22:13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.

What other commandments are we to think of? Unless God just had “different” laws and commandments and statues for Abraham.

Well, can you site an instance of any of the 10 commandments being observed by Abraham?

IM4Truth
    Participant

michaels
    Why don't you do a study on the Covenants? You will find that God made a completely different Covenant with Abraham then He did with Moses and with us.

Peace and Love Mrs.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (kejonn @ Sep. 23 2007,06:00)

Quote (kenrch @ Sep. 20 2007,19:44)

Quote (kejonn @ Sep. 21 2007,12:24)

Quote (kenrch @ Sep. 20 2007,19:00)

Quote (kejonn @ Sep. 21 2007,02:57)
    People often assume that when they see the word “commandments” in the New Testament, that it means the 10 commandments. But how certain can we be on this?

What about this when God spoke to Isaac:

Gen 26:4  “I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven, and will give your descendants all these lands; and by your descendants all the nations of the earth shall be blessed;
    Gen 26:5  because Abraham obeyed Me and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes and My laws.

What exactly were these things that God spoke of in Gen 26:5? There was no 10 Commandments at this time. So what commandments was God talking about here?

I thought that the Israelites lost the law when in bondage to the Egyptians.

The scripture doesn't say “10” commandmenents but it does say Commandments, and law and statues.

Moses brought the Law back from Abraham to the Israelites.

NO?

So are you saying that the 10 Commandments in Ex 20 were just a restating of commandments given to Abraham? Where do you get the concept that Moses was bring back the Law?

I really don't know but what other commandments and laws and statues were there?  The Israelites lost their law and picked up on the Egyptian gods.  Thus the golden calf.

From the time of Adam they were giving offerings for their sins.

Gen 22:13  And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.

What other commandments are we to think of?  Unless God just had “different” laws and commandments and statues for Abraham.

Well, can you site an instance of any of the 10 commandments being observed by Abraham?

What other commandments are their? :)

Thier are no scriptures that say Abraham kept ten or 100 commandments only that he kept the commandments of God.

In God's word their are only Ten commandments said that God wrote. What OTHER conclusion are we to come too?

malcolm ferris
    Participant

What other commandments are their? :)

Jn 13:34

IM4Truth
    Participant

The New Covenant Commentments. The greatest Commandments of all.

Love God with all of your Heart and Your Neighbor as thyself.

kejonn
    Participant

OK, let's simplify this. What is a commandment? Besides the obvious 10, a commandment according to answers.com is “A command; an edict.” this is supported in the different way the following is translated (1 Sam 15:11)

(ESV) “I regret that I have made Saul king, for he has turned back from following me and has not performed my commandments.” And Samuel was angry, and he cried to the LORD all night.

(NASB) “I regret that I have made Saul king, for he has turned back from following Me and has not carried out My commands.” And Samuel was distressed and cried out to the LORD all night.

So, that being said, what was the commands to Abraham? Some would want to say the 10 but there is no proof whatsoever of this. According to Wesley's commentary of Gen 26:5 (http://bible.cc/genesis/26-5.htm)

Wesley's Notes
    26:5 Abraham obeyed my voice – Do thou do so too, and the promise shall be sure to thee. A great variety of words is here used to express the Divine Will to which Abraham was obedient, my voice, my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws – Which may intimate, that Abraham's obedience was universal; he obeyed the original laws of nature, the revealed laws of divine worship, particularly that of circumcision, and all the extraordinary precepts God gave him, as that of quitting his country, and that (which some think is more especially referred to) the offering up of his son, which Isaac himself had reason enough to remember. Those only shall have the benefit of God's covenant with their parents, that tread the steps of their obedience.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (IM4Truth @ Sep. 23 2007,17:07)
    The New Covenant Commentments. The greatest Commandments of all.

Love God with all of your Heart and Your Neighbor as thyself.

I thought we were talking about Abraham?  Is their an Abraham in the NT that I should Know about?

Besides the Two Greatest commandments “contain” the Ten Commandments.

1Jo 5:3  For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.

2Jo 1:6  And this is love, that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, so that you should walk in it.  What were the commandments from the beginning?

Ok I give up then what are the commandments that Abraham kept? :D

kejonn
    Participant

Kenrch,

You are hung up on the word “commandment”. I think when you see it, you automatically think of the 10 Commandments. But here is something for you:

Exo 34:28 So he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did not eat bread or drink water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.

Note here that the Bible specifically says “Ten Commandments”. And they were called that again in Deu 4:13, 10:4. Yet the same is never repeated in the NT. So why must one assume that “commandments” in the NT is automatically the Ten Commandments?

Basically, a commandment is a command. Thus when the Bible speaks of commandments, it speaks of anything that God has commanded us to do. That could go as far as God leading one to call someone out of the blue. Or witnessing to someone in a public place. We should be open to the continuing commands God gives us each day.

That is why I brought Abraham up. He was not given the 10 Commandments as we know them. But he was commanded to do several things, and Abraham was obedient to them. Do we find the sacrifice of Isaac in the 10? No, but it was still a command. Is the command to leave one's country found in the 10? No, but it was a command given to Abraham.

Therefore the importance is doing what God has commanded us to do, not any particular set given necessarily to a certain people. That is not to say you cannot do those things, but are they directly a command given to Christians?

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (kejonn @ Sep. 24 2007,03:12)
    Kenrch,

You are hung up on the word “commandment”. I think when you see it, you automatically think of the 10 Commandments. But here is something for you:

Exo 34:28  So he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did not eat bread or drink water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.

Note here that the Bible specifically says “Ten Commandments”. And they were called that again in Deu 4:13, 10:4. Yet the same is never repeated in the NT. So why must one assume that “commandments” in the NT is automatically the Ten Commandments?

Basically, a commandment is a command. Thus when the Bible speaks of commandments, it speaks of anything that God has commanded us to do. That could go as far as God leading one to call someone out of the blue. Or witnessing to someone in a public place. We should be open to the continuing commands God gives us each day.

That is why I brought Abraham up. He was not given the 10 Commandments as we know them. But he was commanded to do several things, and Abraham was obedient to them. Do we find the sacrifice of Isaac in the 10? No, but it was still a command. Is the command to leave one's country found in the 10? No, but it was a command given to Abraham.

Therefore the importance is doing what God has commanded us to do, not any particular set given necessarily to a certain people. That is not to say you cannot do those things, but are they directly a command given to Christians?

kejonn,

Do you agree the Ten Commandments were written by God and placed inside the ark?

Deu 10:4 And he wrote on the tablets, in the same writing as before, the Ten Commandments that the LORD had spoken to you on the mountain out of the midst of the fire on the day of the assembly. And the LORD gave them to me.
    Deu 10:5 Then I turned and came down from the mountain and put the tablets in the ark that I had made. And there they are, as the LORD commanded me.”

Do you agree that the Ten Commandments were from the beginning?

2Jo 1:6 And this is love, that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, so that you should walk in it.

The Gentiles are grafted into Israel. If you are NOT grafted into Israel then you are NOT a Christian, Rom. 11,

Are the Commandments which are Ten that God wrote for Christians? If Not then WHO are they writtebn for?

The Ten Commandments are in the New Testament.

No they aren't under a title “Ten Commandments” because Paul taught the Gentiles on the Sabbath which is the forth commandment. And the other Nine Commandments are written in the New Testament.

1. 1Corinthians 10:14 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry.
    See also 1 Cor 6:9, Acts 17:16&23,
    Romans 2:22&23, 1John 5:21

2. Acts 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought
    not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone,
    graven by art and man's device. See also 1 Cor 12:2

3. James 5:12 But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by
    heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath…
    lest ye fall into condemnation.

4. Luke 23:56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and
    rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.
    Hebrews 4 4&9 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh [day] on this
    wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
    There remaineth therefore a (keeping of a sabbath-see margin) rest
    to the people of God.
    Acts 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three
    sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,
    Acts 13:42&44 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the
    Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the
    next sabbath. And the next sabbath day came almost the
    whole city together to hear the word of God.
    Isaiha 66:22-23 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will
    make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your
    seed and your name remain.
    And it shall come to pass, [that] from one new moon to
    another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to
    worship before me, saith the LORD.
    See also Acts 16:13

5. Ephesians 6:1-2 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour
    thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;
    See also Romans 1:30

6. James 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill.
    Romans 13:9 Thou shalt not kill,.
    See also Romans1:29

7. 1 Thessalonians 4:3 For this is the will of God, [even] your sanctification, that ye
    should abstain from fornication:
    James 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill.
    See also 1Cor 6:9, Romans 2:22, Romans 1:29, Romans 13:9

8. Romans 13:9 Thou shalt not steal.
    1 Thessalonians 4:6 That no [man] go beyond and defraud his brother in [any] matter:
    See also 1Cor 6:10

9. Colossians 3:9 Lie not one to another
    Romans 13:9 Thou shalt not bear false witness

10. Romans 13:9 Thou shalt not covet;
    See also 1 Cor 6:10, Romans 1:29

Deny the truth if you must but scriptures don't lie.

The Commandments are to be kept Spiritually that is the New Testament.

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
    Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

What does this verse mean on these two HANG THE LAW. It means IF you keep those two commandments then you will keep the Ten.

Hung up? Yeah I'm hung up on Truth and God. What I'm NOT hung up on is trying to prove scripture wrong.

If I keep all the Commandments am I keeping the “TWO GREATEST”?

If I keep the forth commandmenmt and teach others to keep the forth Commandment am I “wrong”?

Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

If don't keep the forth commandment and teach others NOT to keep the forth commandment am I wrong.

Read the scripture. Jesus said this Not Ken Not Mrs and Not kejonn.

So again am I wrong for teaching to keep the forth commandment? :D

Don't miss the boat brother? If I am wrong for teaching the forth commandment trhen tell me I am wrong. Would I be wrong for teaching NOT to keep the forth commandment?

Where does scripture say NOT to keep the commandments of GOD?

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Kejonn…..> You are right a commandment is a comand. And God the Father as a Father has a right to command His childern, and did so. And a commamdment is not a Law. The ten commamdments were turned into (Law) at Mount Sinai . Law means (forced compliance) But forced compliance could and never does make a person right in there heart. But (LOVE) does and if a person is moved by the Love of God in Him he need none of the Law (forced compliance ) to operate in him. It's unfortnate that the translators add the article (THE) where Paul was explaining that, you see the article (the) gives you the Idea he was talking about the ten commamdments, when in fact he was talking about how Law works and not about the ten commandments at all, thats why he said by works Law (forced compliance) shall no flesh be justified, because forcing someone to keep sonthing never makes them right in their heart. Get a good Greek text and reread it and it all makes sence. The fact is (LAW) can never make anyone right in their heart. It takes the LOVE of God to do that and those moved by that Love don't need any law at all, thats why Paul said whosoever is under Law is under a curse. Just what i think brother…..gene

IM4Truth
    Participant

Kejonn and Gen Gen. good post. want to add this. If you look from Genesis to Rev. God has made different Covenants with different people. Each Covenant has its own rules. I will skip the O,T. you can make a study on that, if you want.
    The new Covenant is that we are under Christ's Blood. He gave us the Greatest Commandment of all
    ” LOVE GOD WITH AL OF YOUR HEART AND WITH ALL OF YOUR SOUL AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF.”
    Not only that Jesus fulfilled all, not just a part of those laws. God looks at the heart. He also magnified the law on the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus never even mentioned the Sabbath, I wonder why? I know. because the Holy Spirit is living in us and we are the temple of God, and I believe we should keep every day Holy to the Lord. Do whatever you do to the Lord. Put God into your work. Witness to Jesus at your work place if they want to hear it. Be an example. Turn away from all the dirt out there.
    If some body tells a dirty joke don't laugh with them, cry or tell them that was not nice. But that is not political correct, right?

These are the things that Jesus is talking about, I believe .And more. It is what is in our mind, if God is there then Godly words will come out of our mouth. If not, we have to try to overcome those. I have asked God show me my fault. Wham did I get hit over the head with them, believe me He will show you one way or another. Like to give you an example. When I first came on this site and Ken put me down, I got angry, so I had to go to God for forgiveness. I noticed that I still had some pride left, which I thought I had overcome. Surprise, surprise, I have some left. It is those that will overcome that will sit with Jesus on His throne. But there are Millions of People who have given their lives for Jesus that will have done more then what little old me could ever do. I cry out to God and say what David says, Please let me be the Doorman in the House of my God. My Love is with Singing, I would like nothing better, then to sing in a Heavenly Choir with Millions of Brethren. What a sound that will be. That is my Hope and my Faith in God that He will grant me to do that. Amen

Peace and Love Mrs.:D :D :D

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

to all…..> the one thing that defines God more than any thing else is He is a Creator in fact the Only true creator, and true righteousness is a creation He does, “No ye not brethern that you are (CREATED) unto (GOOD) works”. Now all the fussing over the Law and commandments can cause self righteousness to rise up in us if we don't watch out, because the simple truth is it's not about you and me it's about what the Father is doing with his clay vessels. So little childern don't worry about how you are obeying the laws or cammandments, but pray and confess to The Father your weekness and he is faithfull to forgive us (AND) cleanse us from (ALL) unrighteousness. It a creation of the Father in all who have His Spirit (IN) them. You will by your new nature given you, grow unto the (FULL) stature of our first born brother Jesus. Grace andPeace to all the Israel (overcommers) of God…..gene

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (kenrch @ Sep. 23 2007,11:11)
    kejonn,

Do you agree the Ten Commandments were written by God and placed inside the ark?

Deu 10:4 And he wrote on the tablets, in the same writing as before, the Ten Commandments that the LORD had spoken to you on the mountain out of the midst of the fire on the day of the assembly. And the LORD gave them to me.
    Deu 10:5 Then I turned and came down from the mountain and put the tablets in the ark that I had made. And there they are, as the LORD commanded me.”

No disagreement here.

No, I do not. There is no biblical evidence. The Ten Commandments were given to the children of Israel after the Exodus. Is that the beginning?

2Jo 1:6 And this is love, that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, so that you should walk in it.

But that is the issue here isn't it? To determine what it being spoken of when the NT refers to “commandments”. This first part of this verse tells us to be obedient to God in all He commands us to do. If you follow God's commands in life, you reveal your love to Him.

The Gentiles are grafted into Israel. If you are NOT grafted into Israel then you are NOT a Christian, Rom. 11,

Are the Commandments which are Ten that God wrote for Christians? If Not then WHO are they writtebn for?

The children of Israel delivered from the bondage and slavery of Egypt. Were Christians around then?

What does Paul say in the first of Rom 11?

Rom 11:1 I say then, God has not rejected His people, has He? May it never be! For I too am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

No they aren't under a title “Ten Commandments” because Paul taught the Gentiles on the Sabbath which is the forth commandment. And the other Nine Commandments are written in the New Testament.

Did he teach in Corinth on the Sabbath? Thessalonica? Corinth? Philippi? The only time we see him teaching on the Sabbath was in the synagogues, which was to the Jews. Do you realize that the Sabbath was only mentioned one time in all of his letters to the various Gentile churches?

Col 2:16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day–

Why do you think Paul — the apostle to the Gentiles — did not emphasize Sabbath even one time in all of his letters to them?

to the people of God.

Who were the people in Luke 23:56, Jews or Gentiles?

You forgot this one:

Act 17:1 Now when they had traveled through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where there was a synagogue of the Jews.

Do you go to the synagogue? That is where they were teaching. They also knew many Jews would gather on the Sabbath so it was the best time to teach.

Isa 66:23 “And it shall be from new moon to new moon And from sabbath to sabbath, All mankind will come to bow down before Me,” says the LORD.

This verse is telling us that there will be a time when all will worship Him, for an eternity. “Sabbath to sabbath”, week to week, continuously.

5. Ephesians 6:1-2 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour

7. 1 Thessalonians 4:3 For this is the will of God, [even] your sanctification, that ye

1 Thessalonians 4:6 That no [man] go beyond and defraud his brother in [any] matter:
    See also 1Cor 6:10

Deny the truth if you must
    but scriptures don't lie.

I am denying nothing. I am just showing you that “commandments” in the NT does not automatically equate to the 10 commandments. It is about being open to God's direction — to be obedient to Him — in all of our lives.

I gave up drugs when I became a Christian. Do you find anything against drug use in the 10 Commandments? But I know God commanded me to give them up, so I did. Therefore, I was obedient to His commands in my life.

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
    Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

What does this verse mean on these two HANG THE LAW. It means IF you keep those two commandments then you will keep the Ten.

Actually, it means you will go above and beyond.

Hung up? Yeah I'm hung up on Truth and God. What I'm NOT hung up on is trying to prove scripture wrong.

If you speak of only keeping the Ten Commandments, and that is all you strive to do, then no, you are not keeping the TWO. You are living to the letter. Obey all commands, even those that the Holy Spirit reveals to you to keep.

If I keep the forth commandmenmt and teach others to keep the forth Commandment am I “wrong”?

Nope. I never said you were. Some may have, but not me. I think that it is great if someone keeps the Sabbath. I have been trying to do so in my life, but it means many adjustments. It is a slow process.

Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

This is where you fall a little short. You can teach people to keep Sabbath. No one is saying not to.

Here's the problem: you make every thread you respond in about the Sabbath lately. That is why I started that thread, because you were hijacking almost every thread with Sabbath posts.

But you can't leave it be. Does Mat 5:19 say to teach and then argue about something until you are blue in the face?

If don't keep the forth commandment and teach others NOT to keep the forth commandment am I wrong.

Then why do you continue to argue endlessly? You observe it and you teach it. Case closed. But you can't leave it alone, you have to keep on about it. Accept that others think differently than you and be done with it.

Yes, we know. You've only made this same statement 100s of times.

No, again, never said you were. Teach, and let God do the rest.

Don't miss the boat brother? If I am wrong for teaching the forth commandment trhen tell me I am wrong. Would I be wrong for teaching NOT to keep the forth commandment?

Again, at least, we are back to just talking of commandments. But you believe it means Ten commandments, I believe it means so much more. I believe it means the ongoing openness to the commands that God gives us everyday. It is one of the many reasons we have His Holy Spirit.

Let me ask you, do you feel lead to sacrifice a loved one on the altar? Why not? God commanded Abraham to do so. Why not us? Because it was a specific command.

Now, you say we are grafted into Israel. Are you certain of this? Where are Christians ever called the children of Israel? But we know we are called the children of God.

Rom 8:16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,

Rom 9:8 That is, it is not the children of the flesh who are children of God, but the children of the promise are regarded as descendants.

Php 2:15 so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world,

1Jn 3:1 See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.

So is the tree Israel in Roman 11, or all of the children of God?

IM4Truth
    Participant

keyonn Good Post, I agree. God looks at the Heart and Love is the greatest Commandments. I have repeated myself so many times. We need to stop because of Love there is no sense in going on like this. I love everyone of you and wish all good things to all. I just hope that we can somehow be Brothers and Sisters in Christ, because we are all searching for the truth and believe what we know is the truth. So how about letting God do His work in us and lets see what will happen.
    Especially you Ken. Lets join hands in Prayer for a change for instant. I know this that we all have God's Holy spirit working in us, otherwise we would not be here.

Peace and Love Mrs.??? ??? ???

IM4Truth
    Participant

ARE WE BOUND BY THE LAW GOD GAVE TO MOSES OR NOT?

OLD TESTAMENT
    Ex. 34:27-28
    Then the LORD said to Moses, write these Words, for according to the tenor of these words I have made a COVENANT with you and Israel.
    Verse 28 so he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he either ate or drank water. And he wrote on tablets the words of the COVENANT THE 10 COMMANDMENT.
    Deut. 4:13
    So He declared to you His COVENANT which He commanded you to perform, that is the TEN COMMANDMENTS; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone.

God made quit a few ordinances with Israel that are still being kept by the now living Jewish People. With us He made a NEW COVENANT.

Math. 26:28 FOR THIS IS MY BLOOD OF THE NEW COVENANT, which are shed for many for the remission of Sins.
    Luke 22:29 Likewise He also took the cup after super saying THIS IS THE NEW COVENANT IN MY BLOOD, WHICH IS SHED FOR YOU.

GALATIANS 4:23 but He who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and He of the free woman through promise.
    VERSE 24 which things are symbolic for these are the TWO COVENANT; the one from Mount Sinai, which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar.
    VERSE 25 FOR THIS Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia and responds to Jerusalem, which is now and is in bondage with her children
    VERSE.26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the Mother of us all.
    VERSE 27 For it is written
    REJOICE, O BARREN, YOU WHO DO NOT BEAR! BREAK FORTH AND SHOUT, YOU WHO DO NOT TRAVAIL! FOR THE DESOLATE HAS MANY MORE CHILDREN, THEN SHE HAS A HUSBAND.
    VERSE28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise.
    VERSE 29 But, as he who was born according to the flesh then persecuted him who was born according to the spirit, even so it is now.
    VERSE 30 Nevertheless what does the scripture say? “ Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the free woman.”
    VERSE 31 So then, brethren we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free.

THE NEXT CHAPTER, I FIND VERY IMPORTEND, BECAUSE IT TELLS US THAT IF YOU WANT TO KEEP ANY PART OF THE LAW THAT GOD GAVE TO MOSES, YOU HAVE FALLEN FROM GRACE. THE GALATIANS HAD TROUBLE WITH CIRCUMCITION.
    VERSE 5 SHOWS US THEN THAT YOU CANNOT BE UNDER THE LAW AND UNDER GRACE AT THE SAME TIME.

ROMANS 3:28 Therefore We conclude that a man is justified by Faith apart from the deeds of the Law.
    ROMANS 4:13-16 For the promise that he would be the heir of the World was not to Abraham or to his seed through the Law, but through the righteousness of Faith.
    VERSE 15 BECAUSE THE Law brings about wrath; for where there is no Law there is no transgression.
    VERSE 16 Therefore it is of Faith that it might be according to GRACE that the promise might be sure to ALL the seed, not only those who are of the Law, but also to those who are of Faith of Abraham, who is the Father of us all.

ROMAN 6:14 For Sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under Law but under grace. Likewise you also reckon yourself to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

ROMANS14: 5 One person esteems one Day above another, another esteems every Day alike. Let each of you be fully convinced in His own mind.

EPHESIAN 2:5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved.)
    VERSE 6 and raised us up together, in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
    VERSE 7 He might show the exceeding riches of His grace His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
    VERSE 8 For by grace you have been saved through Faith, and not of yourself; it is a gift of GOD, not of works, lest anyone should boast.
    VERSE 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

PHILIPPIANS 3:9 and He found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the Law, but that which is through Faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by Faith.

ROMAN 8:38 For I am persuaded that neither Death nor Life, nor angels nor
    Principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come,
    Verse39 nor height nor depth nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

ROMAN 11:5-6 Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
    Verse 6 And if be grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works. It is no longer be grace; otherwise work is no longer work.

GALATIANS 2:16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law, for by the works of the Law no flesh shall be justified.
    Verse 21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if the righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died in vain.

GALATIANS 3:23-25 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed.
    Verse 24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified
    by faith.
    Verse 25 but after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

HEBREW 9:15 And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.

HEBREW 10:24-25
    In conclusion let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works.
    Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another , and so more as you see the Day approaching.

Verse 37
    For yet a little while, and He who is coming will come and will not tarry.
    Now the just shall live by faith; But if anyone draws back, my soul has no pleasure in him.

In conclusion I like to add “ let us Love one another, for Love covers a multitude of sins.

Peace and Love Mrs.

IM4Truth
    Participant

Gen You are right God is creator. He has created Jesus first and then everything else. What a wonderful God We have.

Peace and Love Mrs.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (kejonn @ Sep. 24 2007,07:20)

Quote (kenrch @ Sep. 23 2007,11:11)
    kejonn,

Deu 10:4  And he wrote on the tablets, in the same writing as before, the Ten Commandments that the LORD had spoken to you on the mountain out of the midst of the fire on the day of the assembly. And the LORD gave them to me.
    Deu 10:5  Then I turned and came down from the mountain and put the tablets in the ark that I had made. And there they are, as the LORD commanded me.”

No disagreement here.

No, I do not. There is no biblical evidence. The Ten Commandments were given to the children of Israel after the Exodus. Is that the beginning?

2Jo 1:6  And this is love, that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, so that you should walk in it.

But that is the issue here isn't it? To determine what it being spoken of when the NT refers to “commandments”. This first part of this verse tells us to be obedient to God in all He commands us to do. If you follow God's commands in life, you reveal your love to Him.

The Gentiles are grafted into Israel.  If you are NOT grafted into Israel then you are NOT a Christian, Rom. 11,

Are the Commandments which are Ten that God wrote for Christians?  If Not then WHO are they writtebn for?

The children of Israel delivered from the bondage and slavery of Egypt. Were Christians around then?

What does Paul say in the first of Rom 11?

Rom 11:1  I say then, God has not rejected His people, has He? May it never be! For I too am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

No they aren't under a title “Ten Commandments” because Paul taught the Gentiles on the Sabbath which is the forth commandment.  And the other Nine Commandments are written in the New Testament.

Did he teach in Corinth on the Sabbath? Thessalonica? Corinth? Philippi? The only time we see him teaching on the Sabbath was in the synagogues, which was to the Jews. Do you realize that the Sabbath was only mentioned one time in all of his letters to the various Gentile churches?

Col 2:16  Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day–

Why do you think Paul — the apostle to the Gentiles — did not emphasize Sabbath even one time in all of his letters to them?

to the people of God.

Who were the people in Luke 23:56, Jews or Gentiles?

You forgot this one:

Act 17:1  Now when they had traveled through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where there was a synagogue of the Jews.

Do you go to the synagogue? That is where they were teaching. They also knew many Jews would gather on the Sabbath so it was the best time to teach.

Isa 66:23  “And it shall be from new moon to new moon And from sabbath to sabbath, All mankind will come to bow down before Me,” says the LORD.

This verse is telling us that there will be a time when all will worship Him, for an eternity. “Sabbath to sabbath”, week to week, continuously.

See
    also 1Cor 6:10

Deny the truth if you must but scriptures don't lie.

I am denying nothing. I am just showing you that “commandments” in the NT does not automatically equate to the 10 commandments. It is about being open to God's direction — to be obedient to Him — in all of our lives.

I gave up drugs when I became a Christian. Do you find anything against drug use in the 10 Commandments? But I know God commanded me to give them up, so I did. Therefore, I was obedient to His commands in my life.

Mat 22:37  Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    Mat 22:38  This is the first and great commandment.
    Mat 22:39  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Mat 22:40  On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

What does this verse mean on these two HANG THE LAW.  It means IF you keep those two commandments then you will keep the Ten.

Actually, it means you will go above and beyond.

Hung up?  Yeah I'm hung up on Truth and God.  What I'm NOT hung up on is trying to prove scripture wrong.

If you speak of only keeping the Ten Commandments, and that is all you strive to do, then no, you are not keeping the TWO. You are living to the letter. Obey all commands, even those that the Holy Spirit reveals to you to keep.

Nope. I never said you were. Some may have, but not me. I think that it is great if someone keeps the Sabbath. I have been trying to do so in my life, but it means many adjustments. It is a slow process.

Mat 5:19  Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

This is where you fall a little short. You can teach people to keep Sabbath. No one is saying not to.

Here's the problem: you make every thread you respond in about the Sabbath lately. That is why I started that thread, because you were hijacking almost every thread with Sabbath posts.

But you can't leave it be. Does Mat 5:19 say to teach and then argue about something until you are blue in the face?

Then why do you continue to argue endlessly? You observe it and you teach it. Case closed. But you can't leave it alone, you have to keep on about it. Accept that others think differently than you and be done with it.

Yes, we know. You've only made this same statement 100s of times.

No, again, never said you were. Teach, and let God do the rest.

Don't miss the boat brother?  If I am wrong for teaching the forth commandment trhen tell me I am wrong.  Would I be wrong for teaching NOT to keep the forth commandment?

Again, at least, we are back to just talking of commandments. But you believe it means Ten commandments, I believe it means so much more. I believe it means the ongoing openness to the commands that God gives us everyday. It is one of the many reasons we have His Holy Spirit.

Let me ask you, do you feel lead to sacrifice a loved one on the altar? Why not? God commanded Abraham to do so. Why not us? Because it was a specific command.

Now, you say we are grafted into Israel. Are you certain of this? Where are Christians ever called the children of Israel? But we know we are called the children of God.

Rom 8:16  The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,

Rom 9:8  That is, it is not the children of the flesh who are children of God, but the children of the promise are regarded as descendants.

Php 2:15  so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world,

1Jn 3:1  See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.

So is the tree Israel in Roman 11, or all of the children of God?

I have shaken the dust off my feet if you want to break God's Law have at it. :D

IHN,

Ken

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account