Atheism

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 753 total)
  • Author
    TimothyVI
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Jan. 06 2012,08:49)

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ Jan. 04 2012,22:20)
    If an angel of God appeared to you tonight and told you that God wanted you to sacrifice your kids on an altar to show your devotion to God, would you do it?

Absolutely.

Mike,
    If you ever think that god has told you to kill your child
    I hope you still have enough sense to see a psychiatrist before doing anything.

There have been people who have killed their children, or other people, because they thought that god told them to. Some of these were declared insane and eluded the death penalty, some didn't.

Tim :( :( :(

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (TimothyVI @ Jan. 06 2012,02:13)
    I merely quoted a passage from the bible, and asked you a question. And you say, “the one 'YOU' call a murder”.

Shame on you Ed.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I'm sorry, I thought you were insinuating something with that question? again my apologies!

God bless
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ Jan. 06 2012,14:54)

Quote (Ed J @ Jan. 05 2012,10:44)

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ Jan. 05 2012,15:30)

Quote (Ed J @ Jan. 05 2012,10:20)
    Hi WIT,

Out of those two choices perhaps, but the world is
    a bit more complicated than that, don't you think?

Yes, but the point is that what was considered acceptable by most centuries ago is no longer acceptable to most people today.  Life is obviously not perfect in our times, but we have certainly improved upon where we once were as a society.

Hi WIT,

I would agree that abolishing slavery to put up with homo's
    would be a fair trade, but I don't believe that is how life works?
    Abortion on demand is murder, would YOU put murder above slavery?

God bless

Are you saying that you would bring back slavery and genocide against Native Americans if abortions were outlawed?

Hi WIT,

I'm simply asked which crime is worse, murder or slavery?
    Keep in mind: we can always rescue someone from slavery.
    Would genocide not be mass-murder, compared to one baby?

God bless

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ Jan. 05 2012,21:50)

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Jan. 05 2012,06:32)
    Do you seriously think all the “good people” who do “evil things” do it because of religion?  ???

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Jan. 06 2012,03:49)

If an angel of God appeared to you tonight and told you that God wanted you to sacrifice your kids on an altar to show your devotion to God, would you do it?

Absolutely.

Case closed.

(I really hope that I don't have to explain to you how evil it is for a parent to be prepared to kill his own child.  It's shocking how quickly you agreed to that possibility.)

Without even one second of thought, WIT. I answered it IMMEDIATELY as I read your question. And that will remain my answer forever.

Will you quarantine your child if it is discovered that he has a fatal, easily spread disease that will eventually wipe out the rest of your family and mankind? YES or NO?

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (TimothyVI @ Jan. 06 2012,06:05)

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Jan. 06 2012,08:49)

Absolutely.

Mike,  
    If you ever think that god has told you to kill your child
    I hope you still have enough sense to see a psychiatrist before doing anything.

There have been people who have killed their children, or other people, because they thought that god told them to. Some of these were declared insane and eluded the death penalty, some didn't.

Tim :(   :(    :(

Hi Tim,

If I am convinced it is God telling me to sacrifice my only son, then I will do it without hesitation or second thought.

But thanks for your concern.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

WIT, Tim, or Stu (if he ever decides to return),

Tell me about reproduction. Let's say that life spontaneously happened due to “the perfect storm” of events and circumstances. WHY would that first life form exist with the ability to reproduce?

Why would it not only be a single fluke, and when that first life form died out, that would be the end of life on this planet?

WhatIsTrue
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Jan. 08 2012,00:31)
    Without even one second of thought, WIT.  I answered it IMMEDIATELY as I read your question.  And that will remain my answer forever.

Will you quarantine your child if it is discovered that he has a fatal, easily spread disease that will eventually wipe out the rest of your family and mankind?  YES or NO?

Again, your answer speaks volumes.  (Go here to read about people who think like you do.)

To answer your question, if I had a rational reason to quarantine my child, then I would, but I would not purposely kill my own child under any circumstances.  (Even in the case where a child of mine is trying to kill me, I would do my best to subdue him/her rather than intentionally try to kill him/her.)

WhatIsTrue
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Jan. 06 2012,20:09)
    Hi WIT,

I'm simply asked which crime is worse, murder or slavery?
    Keep in mind: we can always rescue someone from slavery.
    Would genocide not be mass-murder, compared to one baby?

God bless

You are missing the point.  I am not saying that bad things aren't happening in our time, I am simply saying that things have improved over time.

Case in point: abortions were taking place during the times of slavery as well, so it's not an either/or trade.

WhatIsTrue
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Jan. 08 2012,00:36)

Tell me about reproduction.  Let's say that life spontaneously happened due to “the perfect storm” of events and circumstances.  WHY would that first life form exist with the ability to reproduce?

Why would it not only be a single fluke, and when that first life form died out, that would be the end of life on this planet?

I have no idea. However, if you are truly interested in an answer to your question, I would suggest that you seek out an evolutionary biologist who has expertise in this area.

I am not an expert, and as far as I know, neither are Tim or Stu.  If you truly want to understand evolution (so that you can discredit it from an intellectually honest perspective) you should actually study it for yourself.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ Jan. 07 2012,14:34)
    To answer your question, if I had a rational reason to quarantine my child, then I would, but I would not purposely kill my own child under any circumstances.

And therein lies our difference, WIT.  You don't consider a direct command from the One who created and owns every single person in existence to be a rational reason to perform an action, while I can't think of a more rational reason than that.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ Jan. 07 2012,14:48)

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Jan. 08 2012,00:36)

Tell me about reproduction.  Let's say that life spontaneously happened due to “the perfect storm” of events and circumstances.  WHY would that first life form exist with the ability to reproduce?

I have no idea.  However, if you are truly interested in an answer to your question, I would suggest that you seek out an evolutionary biologist who has expertise in this area.

I am not an expert, and as far as I know, neither are Tim or Stu.  If you truly want to understand evolution (so that you can discredit it from an intellectually honest perspective) you should actually study it for yourself.

So you don't even KNOW this stuff, yet peddle your wares daily on this site? :D :laugh: :D

I DON'T KNOW THE HOWS AND THE WHYS, I JUST KNOW GOD DOESN'T EXIST, SO THERE! :)

TimothyVI
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Jan. 08 2012,08:20)

To answer your question, if I had a rational reason to quarantine my child, then I would, but I would not purposely kill my own child under any circumstances.

And therein lies our difference, WIT.  You don't consider a direct command from the One who created and owns every single person in existence to be a rational reason to perform an action, while I can't think of a more rational reason than that.

And how exactly do you know that it is who he says he is?
    Isn't Satan the master deceiver?
    Doesn't God expect you to use your brain and logic?

See, there is the cunumdrum Mike.
    What if you killed your child and God then said, ” off to the firey furnace for you for listening to Satan?”
    Satan looked like me, and sounded like me and told you that he was me, but it was Satan.

Oooops!
    Tim

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Hi Tim,

If I couldn't be sure without a shadow of a doubt that it was God doing the asking, I wouldn't do it.

I don't think God would permit Satan to do what you suggest. In the case of Job, Satan could only do what God permitted him to do.

Anyway, enough talk of me killing my son, okay?

WhatIsTrue
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Jan. 08 2012,03:20)

The difference between you and me is that you think that you actually know God.  You think that you have already heard from him.  Yet, you have no evidence that any rational person would be convinced by.  (If you do, let's hear what it is.)  So, when you say that your decision would be purely rational, you must understand how ironic that sounds.

Here's an excerpt from the link I posted earlier.  It's what happened when a whole group of people thought it most rational to listen to the voice of “God's prophet”.

…first to take the poison were Ruletta Paul and her one-year-old infant. A syringe with its needle removed was used to squirt poison into the infant's mouth and then Paul squirted another syringe into her own mouth. Stanley Clayton also saw mothers with their babies first approach the table containing the poison.

Good people will do good things, and bad people will do bad things. But for good people to do bad things — that takes religion.” – Steven Weinberg

You, and the people who died in Jonestown, embody that quote.

WhatIsTrue
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Jan. 08 2012,03:22)

So you don't even KNOW this stuff, yet peddle your wares daily on this site?   :D  :laugh:  :D

I DON'T KNOW THE HOWS AND THE WHYS, I JUST KNOW GOD DOESN'T EXIST, SO THERE!  :)

When have I ever said that I know God doesn't exist?  Quote me.

There are lots of things that I don't know.  The difference between you and me is that I will admit what I don't know.

For the record, I have my own questions about evolution, but that is due to my ignorance on the subject.  I am certainly open to the possibility that the theory is wrong, but I haven't seen that much contrary evidence.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Well, I've just given you some evidence to the contrary. It is called “mathematical odds”. What are the odds that life not only derived itself from nothing, but “thought” ahead to give itself a way to reproduce?

The odds AGAINST this nonsense are astronomical.

How about the odds against a being much greater than mankind creating us? Even odds?

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ Jan. 07 2012,17:52)
    The difference between you and me is that you think that you actually know God. You think that you have already heard from him.

I have never heard from God as far as I know, WIT. I believe God has helped me with urges, given me a “wake-up jolt” when I was about to do something unrighteous, and shown me things through scripture by making something I would have overlooked stand out so I'd take notice.

But I have never heard or claimed that God ever spoke to me.

WhatIsTrue
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Jan. 08 2012,06:03)
    Well, I've just given you some evidence to the contrary.  It is called “mathematical odds”.  What are the odds that life not only derived itself from nothing, but “thought” ahead to give itself a way to reproduce?  

The odds AGAINST this nonsense are astronomical.

How about the odds against a being much greater than mankind creating us?  Even odds?

YOU have no idea what the odds are, especially since you don't even know what the explanation is.  Why don't you first tell me how it is explained by evolutionary biologists before you try to assign odds.

In any case, evidence to the contrary would be more along the lines of, “evolutionary theory predicts that X will happen, but instead Y has happened.”  I am perfectly willing to entertain such objections.  Try me.

WhatIsTrue
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Jan. 08 2012,06:06)

I have never heard from God as far as I know, WIT.  I believe God has helped me with urges, given me a “wake-up jolt” when I was about to do something unrighteous, and shown me things through scripture by making something I would have overlooked stand out so I'd take notice.

But I have never heard or claimed that God ever spoke to me.

So you don't personally know who God is either?  Your faith is all second hand?

mikeboll64
    Blocked

:) What, is YOUR faith “firsthand”? Did you actually SEE with your own eyes life starting from nothing? ???

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 753 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account