What Is Meant by Born Again?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 276 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

topical

Participant

Hi Isaiah 1:18:

I asked that question of you because their was some question about Jesus being born again.  

Col 1:18
    And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, THE FIRSTBORN FROM THE DEAD; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Although the specific words “born again” are not used here, I believe that this verse of scripture means that he was born again from the dead.  He was separated from God because of the sins of all of humanity, but God declared him not guilty and raised him again from the dead.

All of humanity who have not been reconciled to God are dead in their trespasses even as we also were at one time.  We were separated from God because of our sins (He was separated from God because of our sins).  We did not have a personal relationship with God.  But because he paid the judgment that was against us, we also can be born again or raised from the dead by God's Spirit and declared not guilty even as he was.

And so, my understanding of being “born again” is that we died to sin and were raised from the dead by the Spirit of God our Father having come to God by Faith with a repentant heart through our Lord Jesus.  This is sybolized by water baptism.

2:12
    Buried with him in baptism, wherein * * also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.  
    2:13
    And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;  

John 3:5
    Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot * enter into the kingdom of God.  
    3:6
    That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.  

Some teach that the being born of water is water baptism, but my understanding is that the water here refers to the Word of God.  We are baptized in water because we have belived he Word of God.  Rom. 10:17 states:
    So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

God Bless

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi 94,
    We have had many varied opinions on this matter.
    Certainly Christ said to his disciples in Jn 15
    “3Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.”
    but how do you explain the advice of Peter at Pentecost to Paul and the actions of the apostles in the book of Acts?
    It is important because Paul was baptised in Water.
    Gal 3 says
    ” 27For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. “

so if water was required by God for Christ we had better make sure we follow him to ensure we are not the naked and amazed person at the wedding feast.

What did Philip talk to the eunuch about for him to say in Acts 8

” 36And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

37And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

38And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 24 2007,14:18)
    Hi 94,
    We have had many varied opinions on this matter.
    Certainly Christ said to his disciples in Jn 15
    “3Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.”
    but how do you explain the advice of Peter at Pentecost to Paul and the actions of the apostles in the book of Acts?
    It is important because Paul was baptised in Water.
    Gal 3 says
    ” 27For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. “

so if water was required by God for Christ we had better make sure we follow him to ensure we are not the naked and amazed person at the wedding feast.

What did Philip talk to the eunuch about for him to say in Acts 8

” 36And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

37And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

38And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

Hi Nick:

Every believer should be baptized water if at all possible, but I believe that through some personal experience God has shown me that a person can be saved on their death bed.  The thief on the cross is scriptural proof of this, and so, I don't believe that the water to which Jesus refers can be water baptism because he says, “except a man be born of water and of the Spirit he cannot enter the kingdom of God”.  If he meant water baptism, then the thief could not have been saved.  

God Bless

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi 94,
    God can place us in the kingdom by His soverign love and mercy but we are advised to enter.

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 24 2007,15:26)
    Hi 94,
    God can place us in the kingdom by His soverign love and mercy but we are advised to enter.

Hi Nick:

Yes, but in order to enter we must first believe the gospel.  We obey the commandment to be baptized because we believe.  If we do not believe or if we have not repented, water baptism has no value.

God Bless

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi 94,
    Water baptism is a plea for the inner washing, the forgiveness of God, cleansing us so that we are a fit home for the Spirit of God[1Peter3]. Belief alone does not save the demons[jas] or us.

Quote (942767 @ April 24 2007,14:05)

I asked that question of you because their was some question about Jesus being born again.  

And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, THE FIRSTBORN FROM THE DEAD; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Although the specific words “born again” are not used here, I believe that this verse of scripture means that he was born again from the dead.  He was separated from God because of the sins of all of humanity, but God declared him not guilty and raised him again from the dead.

All of humanity who have not been reconciled to God are dead in their trespasses even as we also were at one time.  We were separated from God because of our sins (He was separated from God because of our sins).  We did not have a personal relationship with God.  But because he paid the judgment that was against us, we also can be born again or raised from the dead by God's Spirit and declared not guilty even as he was.

And so, my understanding of being “born again” is that we died to sin and were raised from the dead by the Spirit of God our Father having come to God by Faith with a repentant heart through our Lord Jesus.  This is sybolized by water baptism.

Buried with him in baptism, wherein * * also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.  
    And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;  

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot * enter into the kingdom of God.  
    That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.  

Some teach that the being born of water is water baptism, but my understanding is that the water here refers to the Word of God.  We are baptized in water because we have belived he Word of God.  Rom. 10:17 states:

God Bless

I have a couple of questions for you.

Jesus said…

Jn 11:26
    And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Do you believe that whoever is born again has “Eternal life”?

If so does this mean that they will never die spiritually, because Eternal life implys forever without death?

???

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 24 2007,16:01)
    Hi 94,
    Water baptism is a plea for the inner washing, the forgiveness of God, cleansing us so that we are a fit home for the Spirit of God[1Peter3]. Belief alone does not save the demons[jas] or us.

Hi Nick:

I don't believe that you are reading my posts before responding to me.  I said in order to enter we must first believe the gospel.  We obey the commandment to be baptized because we believe with a repentant heart.  Water baptism is an action showing that we believe and that we have repented.  Believeing is not just a mental assent.

God Bless

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi 94,
    I do not presume agreement until it is clear.
    Thanks.

Participant

Hi 94,

Hi Nick:

God will not do anything contrary to his Word, and so, if Jesus states 3:5

If by being born of water he means water baptism, then no man including the thief can be saved unless he is baptized in water.  This why I do not believe that He means water baptism.  I do believe that every believer should be baptized in water as soon after they believe whether or not they have already received the Holy Ghost (like Cornelius) or not.

And you have a right to disagree, but this is my understanding.

God Bless

Quote (942767 @ April 25 2007,12:05)

Hi 94,

Hi Nick:

If by being born of water he means water baptism, then no man including the thief can be saved unless he is baptized in water.  This why I do not believe that He means water baptism.  I do believe that every believer should be baptized in water as soon after they believe whether or not they have already received the Holy Ghost (like Cornelius) or not.

God Bless

I agree!

NH believes that Jesus was born again at his Baptism, which is probably where he gets his Idea that when a believer is water baptised he recieves the Spirit and is born again by water and the Spirit.

If I am wrong NH. Please correct me!

:)

Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ April 24 2007,16:23)

942767,April wrote:

God Bless

Jesus said…

If so does this mean that they will never die spiritually, because Eternal life implys forever without death?

???

Hi WJ:

I do believe that whosoever is Born of God will never die spiritually, but I also believe Matt.l7:21
    Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.  And,

1 John 3:9
    Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot * sin, because he is born of God.

But you did not answer my question to you and to Isaiah 1:18. What is your understanding of the term “born again”?

God Bless

Quote (942767 @ April 25 2007,12:26)

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ April 24 2007,16:23)

942767,April wrote:

God Bless

Jesus said…

???

Hi WJ:

I do believe that whosoever is Born of God will never die spiritually, but I also believe Matt.l7:21
    Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.  And,

1 John 3:9
    Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot * sin, because he is born of God.

But you did not answer my question to you and to Isaiah 1:18. What is your understanding of the term “born again”?

God Bless

I believe that when a person hears the word of God and believes it then repents and ask Jesus into their heart then the Spirit in the same moment comes into them and their old man dies and they are born again by the Spirit.

But only the body and blood of Jesus and our faith in it can save us!

Behold all things become new. 1Cor 5:17

However in my opinion the water that is being refered to could also mean the water in the womb meaning that before a man can be born again and see the kingdom or enter the kingdom of God, he has to first been born of a woman then born again by the spirit.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong. It would all be speculation anyway.

Like you I believe that water baptism is a commanded to follow Christ but not essential to salvation.

It is an outward sign of the putting of of the Old man that died and is now being buried in the waters of baptism and coming up out of the water is the sign of resurected life.

Hope this answer your question.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ April 25 2007,12:10)

Hi 94,

Hi Nick:

God Bless

I agree!

NH believes that Jesus was born again at his Baptism, which is probably where he gets his Idea that when a believer is water baptised he recieves the Spirit and is born again by water and the Spirit.

Hi W,
    You are wrong.
    The Spirit is received by prayer or the laying on of hands.
    Acts 8:18
    And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
    Luke 11:11
    If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 26 2007,14:03)

Hi 94,

Hi Nick:

God Bless

I agree!

Hi W,
    You are wrong.
    And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
    If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?

NH

Thanks for clearing that up.

However you still believe that Jesus was born again at the Jordan, which is pure speculation.

Oxy
    Participant

Why did Jesus need to be born again? He was born Son of God, wasn't that enough?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Oxy,
    Jesus was born an ordinary and a powerless man.
    He needed to be born from above of the Spirit of God.
    We needed this to be necessary too so that we can follow him.

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 26 2007,14:03)

Hi 94,

Hi Nick:

God Bless

I agree!

Hi W,
    You are wrong.

NH

Then that makes no sence.

Because if you believe that Jesus was “Born again” at his baptism then it was then he recieved the Spirit.

Yet, we see that Jesus grew in wisdom and favour with God and man.

How did he do tha apart from the Spirit and how would he call God his Father if he dint have the Spirit until baptism?

???

Quote (Oxy @ April 27 2007,21:13)
    Why did Jesus need to be born again?  He was born Son of God, wasn't that enough?

Hey Brother Oxy.

Welcome back.

Good to see you. Hope all is well?

Good to see David that slew the giant has returned with the stone of the Word of God!

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 276 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account