What Bible Version(s) do you use?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    Mercy
    Participant

I use pratically as many as I can, however, the ones I use most are as follows in order of use:

1. New American Standard Bible – because is a great literal and understandable bible translation.

2. The King James Version – because of the Strong's concordance for studies. It is also very beautiful and is the one I use for memorization.

3. The New Living Translation – a dynamic equivalent translation I use for ease of read and to help with difficult passages that are harder to understand with a literal version.

4. Young's Literal Translation – very very literal.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Mercy,
    I would go with that.
    All have their problems.
    Even a devotee to the old KJV like H ..in the clouds has to admit that there have been several versions of that translation. Some included the added verse in 1 Jn 5.7 and some did not. So he has chosen one of those versions to state categorically that it is the perfect one.
    Hmmm.

seekingtruth
    Participant

I have been known to look at every version available at Biblegate attempting to gain insight, but it is harmony with the rest of scripture and the guidance of the Holy Spirit which reveals truth. It seems that some versions are way out there actually changing the meaning during translation. For the most part I normally use the same ones as Mercy, plus the NIV since that is the default at Biblegate. (can you change the default?)

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi S,
    NIV sometimes changes scripture.
    It says without manuscript evidence that the two witnesses in Rev 11 are MEN.
    also

Jn 12
    ” 37Even after Jesus had done all these miraculous signs in their presence, they still would not believe in him. 38This was to fulfill the word of Isaiah the prophet:
    “Lord, who has believed our message
    and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?”[g]
    39For this reason they could not believe, because, as Isaiah says elsewhere:
    40″He has blinded their eyes
    and deadened their hearts,
    so they can neither see with their eyes,
    nor understand with their hearts,
    nor turn—and I would heal them.”[h] 41Isaiah said this because he saw JESUS's glory and spoke about him.”

Note in v 41 it states , again without support, that Is 6 .1f refers to Jesus where comparison with Rev 4 shows it is a vision of God Himself.

I cannot abide a version that is so slapdash with this treasure.

seekingtruth
    Participant

I don't remember what verses but I found the same thing with the NIV. That is why I would like to change the default at Biblegate.

The Holy Bible

seekingtruth
    Participant

Quote (seekingtruth @ Sep. 10 2006,20:05)
    I don't remember what verses but I found the same thing with the NIV. That is why I would like to change the default at Biblegate.

I'll answer my own question.

From the home of Biblegate click on preference.

Scroll down to default version.

From drop down arrow pick preferred version.

david
    Participant

Other than Biblegate, are there any other sites that have large amounts of Bibles? Just wondering.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (david @ Oct. 24 2006,22:51)
    Other than Biblegate, are there any other sites that have large amounts of Bibles?  Just wondering.

E-Sword

NickHassan
    Participant

topical

Phoenix
    Participant

Well even though Im not literate with the bible I honestly think that the NIV was the best for me to understand. I cant stand the lith at the end of those words in the KJV. In fact it ws the NIV that enabled me to read past Genesis. If I used the KJV I wouldnt have got this far. I would have given up.

Hugs
    Phoenix

david
    Participant

E sword looks interesting. Do others use it? How useful do you find it Kenrch? What are it's features?

Phoenix
    Participant

Hi David

What version do the JW's use? and is it with biblegateway

Hugs
    Phoenix

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi P,
    They use their own version-the NEW WORLD TRANSLATION

david
    Participant

Hi P,
    They use their own version-the NEW WORLD TRANSLATION

I own a couple different versions and have quoted from many bibles while on here. JW's actually print a coupe different Bibles.
    I tend to prefer Bibles that haven't removed God's name thousands of times and replaced it with “LORD” or “GOD”.

Phoenix
    Participant

I cant even find it on BibleGateway.com.

david
    Participant

No you can't. There are many Bible's that aren't on Gateway. If you want one, the next time one of JW's come to your door (wherever you live; Mat 24:14) ask them for one.
    Our Bible's are available to the greater majority of mankind. Not everyone has the internet. Most everyone does have a door. Wait a while. We'll find it.

If you wanted to see the Bible online, there are a few places:
    http://www.watchtower.org

or more specifically:

http://www.watchtower.org/e/bible/index.htm

david
    Participant
    Phoenix
    Participant

thank you

Is 1:18
    Participant

Quote (Phoenix @ Mar. 31 2007,21:55)

BibleGateway would not list the NWT because it's a not really a genuine translation, that word would imply actual “translators” were involved in generating it. Instead an assortment of highly-unqualified persons were involved, with not one of them having the requisite background in Biblical languages. What resulted was just what the WT wanted all along I suppose, an extremely biased paraphrase, doctored to endorse WT doctrines.

http://www.carm.org/jw/nwt.htm
    http://www.bible.ca/Jw-NWT.htm
    http://www.forananswer.org/Top_JW/FranzNWT.htm

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account