Tradition

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 245 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Tradition seeks to rule over scriptural truth.
    It robs men of faith and substitutes “knowledge”

Not3in1
    Participant

I have found that most folks who follow religious traditions have no idea WHY they do! They just do…..

dirtyknections
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ June 30 2008,12:47)
    I have found that most folks who follow religious traditions have no idea WHY they do!  They just do…..

:D

So true..I used to be guilty of this

Irene
    Participant

Most in the Catholic Church do. Most don't even read in the Bible. We were guilty of that too.
    Whatever the Priest says goes. They have the Mass and most don't even participate in that, some have fallen asleep when I was a Song leader. It used to frustrate me to no end.
    I am so Thankful to our Heavenly Father for calling us out of that system.
    Peace and Love Irene

Not3in1
    Participant

Hi Irene,

My late mother-in-law was a Catholic convert through marraige. She had 9 children and was a very good Catholic women. When Dan and I could not conceive she wanted to pray to some Saint for me. I told her to skip the Saint and to right to God! She didn't like that very much…..

She also offered to pay for a very large and formal wedding for Dan and I if I would convert and be baptized a Catholic. We got married in a garden in the back of a friends house. :;):

Irene
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ June 30 2008,13:16)
    Hi Irene,

My late mother-in-law was a Catholic convert through marraige.  She had 9 children and was a very good Catholic women.  When Dan and I could not conceive she wanted to pray to some Saint for me.  I told her to skip the Saint and to right to God!  She didn't like that very much…..

She also offered to pay for a very large and formal wedding for Dan and I if I would convert and be baptized a Catholic.  We got married in a garden in the back of a friends house.  :;):

:) :) :)

dirtyknections
    Participant

Hi Irene,

My late mother-in-law was a Catholic convert through marraige.  She had 9 children and was a very good Catholic women.  When Dan and I could not conceive she wanted to pray to some Saint for me.  I told her to skip the Saint and to right to God!  She didn't like that very much…..

She also offered to pay for a very large and formal wedding for Dan and I if I would convert and be baptized a Catholic.  We got married in a garden in the back of a friends house.  :;):

My type of gal…reminds me of my beautiful and now 9months pregnant wife Dawn…I wonder why she just keeps going downstairs to the fridge…didn't she just eat something…
    lol…she will know why I said this when she reads this…

gollamudi
    Participant

Hi DK,
    You naughty.

Cato
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ June 30 2008,11:32)
    Hi,
    Tradition seeks to rule over scriptural truth.
    It robs men of faith and substitutes “knowledge”

Question, how much of so called scriptural truth is someone else's tradition written down and told to the next generation this is the “truth”?  How much of another faith's pagan practices are in fact your own practices with different names and symbols?  

I agree with others though it is a shame when we follow something with religious intent and do not even know the reasons behind them.  As Stevie Wonder used to sing “When you believe in things that you don't understand, then your suffering…Superstition ain't the way”  Sometimes it is hard to separate religion, superstition and tradition. Yet what is faith but to believe in what you can't prove.

gollamudi
    Participant

Hi cato,
    You seems to be generalising things which may not be helpful for knowing any concepts on religion or knowing God. I have also studied many religions in India but doesn't mean we should become so much pessimistic about viewing things?

Cato
    Participant

No pessimism intended. We should know what we venerate and why. Faith is to believe what we can not prove, superstition is to believe in something despite evidence to the contrary, they are at times very close. I think we should all be careful as many of us live on that border area and each thinks the other has crossed it. It is not my intentions to be negative and I apologize if any are offended by my views. I wish us to be realistic in our search not stop it.

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (dirtyknections @ June 30 2008,13:54)

Hi Irene,

My type of gal…reminds me of my beautiful and now 9months pregnant wife Dawn…I wonder why she just keeps going downstairs to the fridge…didn't she just eat something…

I can tell you why she keeps going to the frig…..that baby is eating all her energy up! Just wait till the little darling comes out and begins to nurse – you'll say, “Good grief, he or she can eat a ton! Well, right now that dear one is taking all your wife's nutrients.

Dawn, girl, you go to the frig again and make yourself a huge, triple stack deli sandwich! Oh, and don't forget to bring up the ice cream (but only bring one spoon) :;):

Praying for a quick and safe delivery! God be with you all during this happy time.
    Love,
    Mandy

dirtyknections
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ July 01 2008,08:55)

Quote (dirtyknections @ June 30 2008,13:54)

Hi Irene,

I can tell you why she keeps going to the frig…..that baby is eating all her energy up!  Just wait till the little darling comes out and begins to nurse – you'll say, “Good grief, he or she can eat a ton!  Well, right now that dear one is taking all your wife's nutrients.

Dawn, girl, you go to the frig again and make yourself a huge, triple stack deli sandwich!  Oh, and don't forget to bring up the ice cream (but only bring one spoon)   :;):

Praying for a quick and safe delivery!  God be with you all during this happy time.
    Love,
    Mandy

Mandy…you women sure stick together…its like yall have some universal preganancy club that you are automatically drafted into when you become pregnant..lol

dirtyknections
    Participant

Oh yeah…that one spoon better have my name on it :p

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Many use the word of God to justify their traditions.
    Matthew 15:6
    he is not to honor his father or his mother .' And by this you invalidated the word of God for the sake of your tradition.

They thus invalidate the Word of God.

dirtyknections
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ July 01 2008,13:49)
    Hi,
    Many use the word of God to justify their traditions.
    Matthew 15:6
    he is not to honor his father or his mother .' And by this you invalidated the word of God for the sake of your tradition.

They thus invalidate the Word of God.

so true brother

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    If you have not learned the beliefs that you hold dear directly from scripture
    then take care that you are not following some master other than Jesus.

NickHassan
    Participant

For Kerwin

martian
    Participant

Quote (Cato @ June 30 2008,23:16)
    [/quote]

I agree with others though it is a shame when we follow something with religious intent and do not even know the reasons behind them.  As Stevie Wonder used to sing “When you believe in things that you don't understand, then your suffering…Superstition ain't the way”  Sometimes it is hard to separate religion, superstition and tradition.  Yet what is faith but to believe in what you can't prove.

How about believing based on fruit ?

Since no one whats to sek honest ways to interpret scripture, how about looking for the fruit of the various conclussions.
    For instance ask of a dctrine how does it help me become like Christ.
    How about, does it make Christ a more clear example for me?
    Does it produce hope that I can actually follow in Christ' footsteps?

Good teaching produces good fruit that actually helps a person fulfill God's plan for them.
    Bad teaching produces useless debate points and mental ascension philosophy.

martian
    Participant

Of course my post is speaking to those that actually want to walk with God and be like Christ. Not to those that are only interested in playing the debate/pride trip game.

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 245 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account