The two witnesses of revelation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 1,004 total)
  • Author
    seekingtruth
    Participant

Interesting, Revelation 11 verse 3-6 on the two witnesses I could see how it might fit, but what about from 7 on?

“7 When they finish their testimony, the beast that ascends out of the bottomless pit will make war against them, overcome them, and kill them. 8 And their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our[c] Lord was crucified. 9 Then those from the peoples, tribes, tongues, and nations will see their dead bodies three-and-a-half days, and not allow[d] their dead bodies to be put into graves. 10 And those who dwell on the earth will rejoice over them, make merry, and send gifts to one another, because these two prophets tormented those who dwell on the earth.

The Witnesses Resurrected

11 Now after the three-and-a-half days the breath of life from God entered them, and they stood on their feet, and great fear fell on those who saw them. 12 And they[e] heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them, “Come up here.” And they ascended to heaven in a cloud, and their enemies saw them. 13 In the same hour there was a great earthquake, and a tenth of the city fell. In the earthquake seven thousand people were killed, and the rest were afraid and gave glory to the God of heaven.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi ST,
    Revelation is different as every verse can move into a different idiom that the previous one.
    Context does not necessarily apply in the same way.
    We are told that God, gave this wisdom to Jesus who gave it to the angel who gave it to John.
    All these witnesses within the book can speak at various times.

Rev 1
    “4John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;

5And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

6And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

7Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

8I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.”

From John
    about Jesus
    and then
    aboutGod in v 8.

Rev 21
    God
    ” 5And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

6And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

7He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.”

Re12And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.”

Jesus

“13I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.”

God

The two witnesses will be known by the signs that they bring. For they will shut the clouds from their rain. The wombs of women will become parched and dried up for their murdering of the unborn. Those who partake in homosexuality will fester with even more plaques from their uncleanliness. Fire will shoot forth from their mouths and consume their enemies.

The world will hate the two witnesses because of the plagues they bring upon those of the unholy. And they will cry for the death of the witnesses, but they will live in fear, for the witnesses are doing the will of Almighty God.

malcolm ferris
    Participant

Hi Heiscomingintheclouds

I agree – these signs are performed and identify these two witnesses.
    These signs are not things that typically the elements of sky or earth have been know to perform in the past. Yet there are two men who have – and who's ministries closely match the description of these two witnesses. We also see these two mentioned in the closing chapter of the last book of the OT (Malachi) as well as seeing them standing with Jesus on Mount Transfiguration…

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Malcolm,
    Why are they called witnesses?
    What do they have to prophesy about for 3 and a half years?
    Where is the city they lie dead on?
    Which prophets have had fire coming out of their mouths so far?
    What is the scriptural significance of three and a half?
    What about olive trees and lampstands?[Zech 4]

malcolm ferris
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Aug. 04 2006,10:17)
    Hi M,
    From Daniel we learn that the great trulation period lasts 7 years with the first part being the woes and the second the wrath of God as shown in Revelation.So wherever the scriptures show 3 and a half it usually relates to one half of this important period.
    It is shown as 3 1/2years, 3 1/2days, 1260 days, 42 months. etc.

Hi Nick

Really 7 years tribulation?
    We learn this from Daniel?
    Where in Daniel does it tell us this?
    I can see many instances of half a week mentioned…

In the midst of the week Messiah shall be cut off but not for himself
    Times, time and half a time.

as also there are numerous mentions of a similar period of 3 and a half years (of 360 days)…1260 day, 42 months, time times and half a time… in Revelation

As I understand it Daniel's people (the Jewish nation) were allocated 70 weeks from the time of the proclamation to rebuild the temple until the beginning of the Millenial kingdom.

The question is – have those 70 weeks been fully accomplished yet?…

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Malcolm,
    So you are on the right track.
    If 3 and a half is half the seven year tribulation period does that mean the bodies lie visible for that number of years or is there more to this than meets the eye?

malcolm ferris
    Participant

Quote (malcolm ferris @ Sep. 09 2006,04:28)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Aug. 04 2006,10:17)
    Hi M,
    From Daniel we learn that the great trulation period lasts 7 years with the first part being the woes and the second the wrath of God as shown in Revelation.So wherever the scriptures show 3 and a half it usually relates to one half of this important period.
    It is shown as 3 1/2years, 3 1/2days, 1260 days, 42 months. etc.

Hi Nick

Really 7 years tribulation?
    We learn this from Daniel?
    Where in Daniel does it tell us this?
    I can see many instances of half a week mentioned…

In the midst of the week Messiah shall be cut off but not for himself
    Times, time and half a time.

as also there are numerous mentions of a similar period of 3 and a half years (of 360 days)…1260 day, 42 months, time times and half a time… in Revelation

As I understand it Daniel's people (the Jewish nation) were allocated 70 weeks from the time of the proclamation to rebuild the temple until the beginning of the Millenial kingdom.

The question is – have those 70 weeks been fully accomplished yet?…

whoops posted this in the wrong thread :p

malcolm ferris
    Participant

Hi Malcolm,
    Why are they called witnesses?
    What do they have to prophesy about for 3 and a half years?
    Hi Nick

Exam time again huh? :D

Hi Malcolm,
    So you are on the right track.
    If 3 and a half is half the seven year tribulation period does that mean the bodies lie visible for that number of years or is there more to this than meets the eye?

Let me see half of 7 is? 3 and a half.
    42 months is how many years? 3 and a half…
    Time, times and half a time – if we assume the time period referred to is years = 3 and a half years….

Personally I beleive that 3 + 1/2 years is left to Israel to fulfill the 70 weeks.

why are they called witnesses?
    Because they have the everlasting gospel to witness?…

what do they have to prophecy about for 3 1/2 years?
    Wouldn't we all like to know that one… prophecy is the foretelling of events – perhaps they are prophecying all sorts of plagues and destruction upon the world…

It appears to be Jerusalem

In chapter 19 we see a sharp two edged sword coming out of the mouth of Jesus – representing the sharp discerning word (Heb 4:12)
    Also in II SAMUEL 22:9 we read of fire coming out of God's mouth
    Seems to be the judgements of God going forth by way of the Word.

What is the scriptural significance of it Nick?
    Jesus ministered for about 3 1/2 years the first time he came…

olive trees and lampstands…
    Olive trees – sources of oil – oil being in this case the one spirit of God?
    Lampstands – representing the light of God as it shines forth (fed by the oil) from His Church?
    What do the 2 trees represent?
    What did Moses and Elijah represent? the Law and the prophets?…

I agree with most of what you have written Malcolm. Now, the identity of the witnesses have always be questionable. Many even speculated that it would be John, the writer of Revelations. Reguardless, they will make themselves known and in that, there will be no doubt. For the world will be in misery because of the punishments poured out upon mankind by the two witnesses by the will of God.

NickHassan
    Participant

Thanks Malcolm,
    You say
    “Where is the city they lie dead on?
    It appears to be Jerusalem “

Then what are the significances of
    EGYPT and SODOM?

” 8And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.”

Does Egypt symbolise Worldly power and Sodom symbolise Lustful extravagance?

How do these ideas encompass Jerusalem?

malcolm ferris
    Participant

Good question Nick – don't know the answer to that one.

That is a good question. Do you know the answer Nick?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    My opinion is that these other descriptions should make us reconsider a simplistic resolution of the verse as neither spiritual description, and we are told they are spiritual, seems to apply to any one particular city, including Jerusalem.

So are you saying that it is Jerusalem in your opinion then? If so, I agree completely. If not, then I misunderstood your response. If so, could you explain in more detail please. And if you can, could you give scripture that may help me understand where you are coming from. I think this may be why I might not have understood your post.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi H,
    What I think does not matter but
    No.

Perhaps you can show how these descriptions apply especially to Jerisalem?

I don't know. I was hoping you could shed some light on the subject. I have not looked into this before.

Wouldn't it have to be Jerusalem though since that is where Jesus was crucified?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi h,
    One out of three.
    Ignoring that for the moment.

But Jesus was crucified on “earth”
    In Israel,
    was “lifted up in the air”.

Can you go into more detail. I am not following you.

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 1,004 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account